Why so much hate over DLC cost? I honestly do not understand.

Here and on other forums I always see the same thing "I'm not paying $3 for a character, I'm not paying $2 for some maps" yadda yadda. I'm by no means trying to sound insulting but is it really that big of a deal for something... optional? A gallon of gas costs you more than most DLC here and will last you far, far less. My kids play Pokemon and a pack of 10 cards costs $4.... I don't understand why so many are up in arms about a few dollars of DLC.

I don't know of other games that consistently give you DLC for free, so why should this be any different? And just why the hate over such tiny amounts? I paid $7.50 for DD and play it more than pretty much any game I've played in my life with the exception of WoW back in its prime. I think it's more than a bargain compared to other games on the market.

Im paying 3€ for EV, but im not paying 2€ for a Street Fighter outfits pack.

One give me a new perspective of playability, the other one just a new perspective of ChunLi boobs.

Its not about beign DLC or not, its just the quality of what the DLC contains.

Im paying 3€ for EV, but im not paying 2€ for a Street Fighter outfits pack.

One give me a new perspective of playability, the other one just a new perspective of ChunLi boobs.

Its not about beign DLC or not, its just the quality of what the DLC contains.

That is not why people are complaining on these forums. Maybe it is true in the tiniest regard for the genderswapped heroes, but everything else that has been released with a price has offered substantially more gameplay and have been met with much complaining. Which is ridiculous.

There has to be a balance of cost/value. DLC is here to stay, it's pretty much in the majority of mobile games. So it's not really the DLC.

Then you have companies like valve that give away DLC for years and years for free. Remember it's not the "cost". It's the "nickel and diming" the constant need to buy more. People would rater pay $14.99 a month then $3.99 a week. Paying every week it feels like you're constantly paying. Once a month you don't even notice. If they had a $0.49 DLC every two days it would really rub people the wrong way. We paid for the game, paid for lots of extra content, give us great value and we'll keep paying. Try to grab $1 here and there every week gets old.

I'd prefer 1 3.99/4.99 DLC map/items/monsters a month. A 1.99 heros/gamemode/mini game DLC. A something during the month for free. I think you have to have a mix, free/cheap/small cost and push it out every 4-6 weeks. Hitting people up for cheap DLCs every week will rub people the wrong way. Barbarian should have been free. The jungle expansion 3.99-4.99.

Give people heros for free, make them pay for new areas/items/monsters.

In my mind, Trendy has done a pretty good job. They've active, patching a lot, adding stuff, fixing bugs, I like daily patches. I like them being on top of stuff. If they patched ones a week some of the bugs would cause me not to play anymore.

DLC I'd pay for

1) fix the hacking. DD trusts the client way too much, its trivial to hack, its hard to expect people to work for items when 2 minutes you can make anything you want. Hard to have shops/economy when you can create billions in seconds. It just taints things.

2) survival games need to be saved, between trendy/steam its a miracle for a connection to last 3-4 hours. Need a timeout before the game closes, least 60 seconds. If it does close, let someone else host that's in the game.

3) way way way more monsters. elemental shouldn't be random. you should have fire monsters, acid, ele, etc... Monsters should wield the weapons they drop. seeing the same 5 random monsters over and over gets old.

4) trans should shop up a different color and be easy to spot.

5) item limit is getting old. After the area fills up, new items are just disappearing within 1 second. I don't think it's based on mana either. I've seen good stuff disappear when there were much worse items. Let the host set the limit, increase the limit, or at least sell the items when you nuke them.

6) get rid of reporting hacks/items/players. Innocent people get accused and hackers just toss a few negatives on joust and it looks legit. Trendy should scan the database and delete items that it knows are beyond the limits. Problem solved. It should know the real ranges, it should know whats legit or hacked, it should find/delete them on their own without the players "reporting it".

I'd pay probably $14.99 for that. =)

I think it's that a lot of people (particularly new people) go to the Steam Store page and freak out when they see $33 worth of DLC for a $15 game. They then see Trendy is adding more DLC, which makes it worse.

I'd pay probably $14.99 for that. =)

I think you are in the minority, there... Most of what you listed is stuff that just needs fixing. I'd say I already paid $15 for that stuff when I bought the game originally.

It would be insulting to have a "fix hacking" DLC. That sounds like a terrible idea.

I think you are in the minority, there... Most of what you listed is stuff that just needs fixing. I'd say I already paid $15 for that stuff when I bought the game originally.

It would be insulting to have a "fix hacking" DLC. That sounds like a terrible idea.

Maybe you just have unrealistic expectations for games? After playing games for many years I know they are never launched without issues. But instead of paying 30 - 60 when a game comes out and getting a few free updates over the course of years, you are getting a much cheaper game, i paid 2.99 for it, but i know the regular cost is 14.99. Then you can add DLC that isn't required if you enjoy the game. I dont understand people who refuse to pay for dlc and complain. If you dont want it, then enjoy the game without it. If you dont enjoy the game because you dont have the DLC, complaining on a forum about it will help you 0 times out of infinity.

I think people see a lot of work going into content they have to pay for when they already pay for content that is buggy and should see a lot of work being done to fix. There are some major frustrations in this otherwise fun game that are really aggravating the player base.

I was pretty much on board for everything until this

DLC I'd pay for

After which I agree Masema. If I was asked to pay for DLC to fix hacking ..... I'd walk away right then and there..... I consider things of that nature getting your house in order.

The exception being possibly "3) way way way more monsters." but that should come with new zone/world content packs.

To be honest I would have been much more receptive to
*The gender swaps being free, yeah they were ok but they would have made a much better good will builder.

Edit: *The 'New' Warping core maps: should have also been free adding an existing mechanic to existing maps and charging people was just meh (didn't help that warping core was one of my least favorite challenges to begin with lol)

*Everything being bundled into the pre-order for the lost eternian crystals.(essentially making it an expansion pack)
- 4 New areas, released over time (included)
- New bonus and challenge maps (included)
Edit: - New monster types (initially overlooked but included)
- 2 New Heroes classes (not included but should have been imho)

Offering everything piecemeal is a fine option but also bundling the whole enchilada would have made it much more appealing.

Tangent:
Could have done without the constant barrage of nerfs and buffs that caused me to just leave the game for weeks while Trendy decided what it was going to do. While that does sound somewhat contradictory to my whole stance on "getting your house in order" I don't consider releasing way OP gear one day, nerfing them into dust the next, un-nerfing them the following then re-nerfing them again...then .....(same goes for classes) that is just poor planning/testing ~.~ Hopefully the worst of that is over. Related because without that I'd be much less reluctant to jump into the paid DLC more freely.

OP, do not even begin to try and understand the people that hate over DLC costs. It's a waste of time and energy if you ask me. It's last type of topic you'd ever want to get mixed in to. However, Series EV for 2 or 3 dollars is simply fair, I agree.

My thoughts.

Much less than a fullprice title + expansions though.

Also, this game has cost me $24 so far. I have all the dlc but the warping core pack. Only bought the genderswapped with a discount. The others were picked up with the discount you get when you pick them up right away. That's still way less than an established title.

I think they have a smart business model. I have all the character add ons as well as a couple of the more worthwhile map packs. I still have not spent as much as I would have for a stand alone game that was the old model. The price for this entertainment is extremely low. These people work hard and should get paid. If you need proof just see how fast patches and fixes come out after every major update. :)
They can nickel and dime me all they want, what can you get for a nickel these days?

Well, these prices may not be attractive in comparison to original game. If you got full game with 4 characters for 12 euro (possibly lower on sales) and now they are going to charge at least 3 euro for a one char without any additional content, it does not feel ok.

Well, these prices may not be attractive in comparison to original game. If you got full game with 4 characters for 12 euro (possibly lower on sales) and now they are going to charge at least 3 euro for a one char without any additional content, it does not feel ok.

No one is twisting your arm to buy the character.

I think TE did a fine job of giving us an appropriate amount of game for the amount of money that it costs. Then again, I got all of the DLC when it was on sale at Christmas.

A brand new console game is about $50-60. If it's good, you feel like you got a good deal. If it sucks, too bad for you: no refunds. DD gives you a decent base game for only $15. If you like it, you buy the DLC to go with it. If you don't, you only lost 1/4 of what a ****ty new console game costs.

Maybe no one remembers the old "expansion" model that games used to have where the original might have 60 hours of gameplay, then you'd have to pay another $50-60 for an expansion with only an additional 20 hours of gameplay (Diablo II). People who played the expansion game couldn't take their "converted" characters to play with people without the expansion. Or worse, console games with expansions (Dynasty Warriors) where you have to keep swapping the disk back and forth, depending on what area you are playing in.

[QUOTE][QUOTE]Originally Posted by Masema

It would be insulting to have a "fix hacking" DLC. That sounds like a terrible idea.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you just have unrealistic expectations for games? After playing games for many years I know they are never launched without issues. But instead of paying 30 - 60 when a game comes out and getting a few free updates over the course of years, you are getting a much cheaper game, i paid 2.99 for it, but i know the regular cost is 14.99. Then you can add DLC that isn't required if you enjoy the game. I dont understand people who refuse to pay for dlc and complain. If you dont want it, then enjoy the game without it. If you dont enjoy the game because you dont have the DLC, complaining on a forum about it will help you 0 times out of infinity.[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, I wasn't complaining about the actual DLC. The person I was responding to had some crazy ideas about DLC they'd pay for, and that's all I was responding to.

Personally, I used to think DLC was some sort of evil conspiracy, and I used to avoid it all. Now, I take a more nuanced view. Some DLC I still think of as pure money grabs (like most of the costume and sticker packs in Little Big Planet or the foil conversions for Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers), but sometimes, DLC can be fun and worthwhile.

I've bought (I believe) all the DLC for Dungeon Defenders (even paid for the holidays I missed).

I own all the DLC for this game too, and only paid about 10 bucks. The thing is that Trendy is one of the most fair I have EVER seen in terms of DLC. A lot of it is FREE for the first 2 weeks its out, and if it's not, it's always been discounted at launch. Yes there's a lot of companies that do DLC poorly, but I feel like Trendy is a poor target to lump into that group.

That and, a large portion of the DLC is just fluff. The only one I'd say is the closest to mandatory is the Eternia Shards pack. Even then, you'll get the Assault Pack, and the Karathiki map for FREE with the Shards Pack (And probably at least 2 more if they keep going at this rate.) You can join every other map without owning the DLC yourself, and people who have the other classes can join your games as them without any issues either.

And speaking of the price of games, does no one remember the 16-bit era? Buying yourself Final Fantasy 6 would set you back $80. Maybe you weren't a Nintendo type though, and you were all about the Genesis. Maybe you forgot that Phantasy Star 4 cost $100 at launch. And this is all in early 90's money.

15 bucks (Less, if you got it on sale) is amazing. I'm amazed every day that the price of games has stabilized to where a big new release in 60 bucks, and I've not seen any game go over that price for awhile (Unless it came with huge plastic peripherals.)

DD's DLCs seem well-priced and full of content and replayability in comparison to some DLCs we've seen over the years. (Remember, Oblivion had a DLC for a HORSE for around 5-10 bucks, and if you REALLY want a good example of DLC dissonence, the last page of the shop was FULL of Age of Empire Online DLCs.) I think a lot of the hatred for DLC comes from periods where the DLC for the horse wasn't the norm, but now it is, developers are still getting used to trying to find a good balance of goodies vs profit. Trendy seems to be doing a great job with this, though relatedly I am kinda glad they didn't keep the original plan for a hero a month. Imagine all the bugs with that plan if it worked :p

A lot of it is FREE for the first 2 weeks its out, and if it's not, it's always been discounted at launch.

That appears to be what most of the whiner's arguments boil down to. Someone else got it for free, but now I need to pay for it? WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

And speaking of the price of games, does no one remember the 16-bit era? Buying yourself Final Fantasy 6 would set you back $80. Maybe you weren't a Nintendo type though, and you were all about the Genesis. Maybe you forgot that Phantasy Star 4 cost $100 at launch. And this is all in early 90's money.

... I specifically remember paying $50 + tax for FF6, same with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana (all new) etc. I don't know where people get these prices...

Chrono Trigger was $70 upon release-- I am 100% certain of this.

DLC is a great way for smaller companies to release a game piecemeal, when they can't afford to put all their eggs in one basket with a long development time and larger pricetag. Larger companies don't have such an excuse, and it really is just money-grabbing to throw $5-10 DLCs on a game that already sets gamers back $40 or more.

I know I paid $89.99 for Phantasy Star 3. It was a Toys R Us which is crap anyway but it when I was on vacation and typically there wasn't a TRU for at least 100 miles of me.

I know when the N64 came out some of those battery save game cartridges were absurdly expensive.

I appreciate everyone that weighed in, I have a better understanding of where people are coming from who don't like it. I prefer the "nickle and dimed" method (easier to justify to myself) but I can see how some may not. And I think the point about new players seeing all DLC up front being overwhelming is great, I hadn't thought of that.

Finally a thread like this.

Lets take a popular game with lots of players, any one, it doesn't really matter. It will usually get maybe 4 DLC's max? Over around a year or two giving you an extra 4 maps or whatever for around $15.

Lets take DD, over the past 6 months it has gotten around 15 DLC's, with about 5 free and the rest paid. Probably more DLC actually. Now these may have 2-4 maps and only cost $4 max, or sometimes no maps and $2.

Minimum wage at the age of 18 where I live is approx. $12. That means in just 3 hours, you could buy ALL of the DLC, and potentially spend many hundreds of hours on this game. The DLC isn't a subscription, it won't run out. Subscription games on the other hand, you pay around 5-30 bucks a month, which adds up much higher.

No moar complaining pl0x.

The DLC for Dungeon Defenders is very much a la carte... you can buy just the DLC that interests you and leave the stuff that doesn't on the site (like people have mentioned that they didn't buy warping core or barbarian for example).

And I am sure there are people who bought DD after February who are steering clear of Sky O' Love and the President's Day DLC. You get to buy the stuff that interests you and just that stuff... you aren't being forced to buy a huge upgrade with a bunch of stuff you want and then a bunch of stuff you don't.

I sort of like the idea behind that model.

Finally a thread like this.

Lets take a popular game with lots of players, any one, it doesn't really matter. It will usually get maybe 4 DLC's max? Over around a year or two giving you an extra 4 maps or whatever for around $15.

Lets take DD, over the past 6 months it has gotten around 15 DLC's, with about 5 free and the rest paid. Probably more DLC actually. Now these may have 2-4 maps and only cost $4 max, or sometimes no maps and $2.

Minimum wage at the age of 18 where I live is approx. $12. That means in just 3 hours, you could buy ALL of the DLC, and potentially spend many hundreds of hours on this game. The DLC isn't a subscription, it won't run out. Subscription games on the other hand, you pay around 5-30 bucks a month, which adds up much higher.

No moar complaining pl0x.

Wait, Why exactly can't they complain? It's a valid point. The fact of that matter is, this game isn't a Subscription Based Game or Free to Play or anything like that, but they're spoon feeding the playerbase Paid-DLC constantly. It's all too easy to say, "Well if you don't like it then don't buy it", but you seem to forget just how important the DLC is to stay relevant in this game. Losing out on Mistymire, for example, means you lose out on the only sensible place to get good loot and a decent amount of mana on completion. You simply cannot get that anywhere else, and that's the problem, that those places are either obsolete or just plain out never existed to begin with.

And sure, you can earn money getting a job, but not all of us can spend 100% of what we earn. There's some people who have to pay Rent, Student Loan Repayments, Food, or whatever else. Furthermore there's a lot more you can get for your money, lets be honest, I mean hell you can buy pretty much any new release game from a major publisher for the amount it takes to play Dungeon Defenders these days (Please do not kid yourself into thinking you'll get anywhere without the DLC.)