Will my laptop even run this?

I've been wanting to switch from the 360 version to the PC for a while now, and with the Steam free weekend and the 50% off offer, now's probably the best time for it, and although I'm downloading the game (I think) at the minute, I've been wondering what kind of frame rate/playability I can expect out of it. I've grabbed a few things from a DxDiag file to post here, and I hopes this helps the technically-minded people to give me some idea of how horrible the frame rate will be, or if the game will even run at all.

I'd also like to say that I don't even know which of this information is needed, so apologies if theres any useless stuff in this..

Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3002MB RAM
Page File: 2354MB used, 3649MB available

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Display Memory: 1309 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB <-- that seems bad lol, is it?

All help is greatly appreciated :squire:

I play on a laptop myself, granted, mine looks to be about a step up from yours, but close. Its not horrible, but its not great. I turn the gfx down to low-settings (I find it helps the eyes too), and it runs a little smoother. Its not a great option, but it will at least run it well enough to play it.

The big problem you may run into is lag because of the internet connection. Make sure you plug in, and don't use your wireless connection, unless playing solo. Depending on your isp, it can be very bad and unplayable.

Its worth it!

I've been wanting to switch from the 360 version to the PC for a while now, and with the Steam free weekend and the 50% off offer, now's probably the best time for it, and although I'm downloading the game (I think) at the minute, I've been wondering what kind of frame rate/playability I can expect out of it. I've grabbed a few things from a DxDiag file to post here, and I hopes this helps the technically-minded people to give me some idea of how horrible the frame rate will be, or if the game will even run at all.

I'd also like to say that I don't even know which of this information is needed, so apologies if theres any useless stuff in this..

Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3002MB RAM
Page File: 2354MB used, 3649MB available

All help is greatly appreciated :squire:

Hey there, i cant say for sure if it will run, but you can download and play the game for free this weekend to try it out.

I play on a laptop myself, granted, mine looks to be about a step up from yours, but close. Its not horrible, but its not great. I turn the gfx down to low-settings (I find it helps the eyes too), and it runs a little smoother. Its not a great option, but it will at least run it well enough to play it.

The big problem you may run into is lag because of the internet connection. Make sure you plug in, and don't use your wireless connection, unless playing solo. Depending on your isp, it can be very bad and unplayable.

Its worth it!

Thanks. I have a 50 mb/s internet connection, so I'll try it wirelessly at first, as much as it may be a bad idea, connection is the least of my worries. Suggestion is greatly appreciated though :)

Looked up your CPU/Graphics, and they match the minimum requirements for Dungeon Defenders. The game should run.

That said, graphics chipsets are generally very poor for gaming, so the game will probably have low FPS even on minimal settings. Laptops generally can't upgrade that part, but a little extra RAM can't hurt - from what I've read, chipsets hare RAM with the machine apart from the low dedicated amount, so your graphics will eat into the 3GB of RAM you have (and DD wants up to 2GB to run smoothly)

If nothing else, if the game is bearable when you try it, it's fine to stick with what you have. Laptops without dedicated graphics aren't generally worth upgrading, because dedicated graphics is the main factor you need to improve in the first place. Better that you get a new machine if you want better performance (and then you can run a lot of other current games as well)

I would guess that it won't run well on that machine, but you won't know for sure until you try. Laptop graphics cards have a fraction of the performance of desktop ones in general. High performance video devices use large processors that take a lot of power and that would make a laptop's battery run out very quickly, so usually laptops usually have cards with slower gpus and/or memory and less processing cores so that their batteries don't run dead in 30 minutes. They may end up getting their speed throttled back dynamically to keep them from overheating since the laptop doesn't have nearly as much air flow as a desktop pc also. If you don't have a laptop that advertises itself as a "Gaming Laptop" it probably willl have marginal performance.

The thing about this game is each patch / DLC seemingly changes its performance.

I had no frame rate issue up to about 7.16. But after 7.22, it seems to be stuttering regularly and at times when little-to-nothing is going on (like during build phases).

I do run through a HDMI cable into a HD monitor and play 2-player split-screen. But this didn't cause any problems before. So, logic dictates, the game is getting 'less optimised' with each update.

...That said, graphics chipsets are generally very poor for gaming, so the game will probably have low FPS even on minimal settings. Laptops generally can't upgrade that part, but a little extra RAM can't hurt - from what I've read, chipsets hare RAM with the machine apart from the low dedicated amount, so your graphics will eat into the 3GB of RAM you have (and DD wants up to 2GB to run smoothly)...

Laptop graphic chipsets are horrendous for gaming. Your laptop can have double the requirements and still have extremely low FPS on low settings and lag every few seconds.

For optimal conditions on a laptop you'll want to turn off post-processing. Change the resolution output and try playing in windowed mode if you can't play default settings. Turning the textures/visual settings to "low" and even try enabling multi-threaded rendering.

Laptop graphic chipsets are horrendous for gaming. Your laptop can have double the requirements and still have extremely low FPS on low settings and lag every few seconds.

For optimal conditions on a laptop you'll want to turn off post-processing. Change the resolution output and try playing in windowed mode if you can't play default settings. Turning the textures/visual settings to "low" and even try enabling multi-threaded rendering.

Exactly this. I did this, and I can play it just fine on my laptop (which has a chipset and not a dedicated graphics card).

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm happy to report that I did eventually get the game to run with a decent fps, even if it was only by running it in an 800x600 window, I've managed to play for a couple of hours and decided to stick with it (already bought it after two hours).

The frame rate is a little laggy when maps get crowded or when there's too much going on at once (read: ohmaigawd infernotraplag), but I'm willing to put up with that.

Already knew Dungeon Defenders was awesome from my countless hours on the 360 version but it's sooo much better on PC. :squire:

Thanks again guys. I'll go try the post-processing thing in a minute.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm happy to report that I did eventually get the game to run with a decent fps, even if it was only by running it in an 800x600 window, I've managed to play for a couple of hours and decided to stick with it (already bought it after two hours).

The frame rate is a little laggy when maps get crowded or when there's too much going on at once (read: ohmaigawd infernotraplag), but I'm willing to put up with that.

Already knew Dungeon Defenders was awesome from my countless hours on the 360 version but it's sooo much better on PC. :squire:

Post-processing makes a world of difference when it's turned off.

Post-processing makes a world of difference when it's turned off.

Bit of a noob here, how do you turn off post-processing

Hey, a console can run this game, I bet any pc can run it as long as it has meets the minimums the game requires.

It's in the options on the main menu, I believe.

I have always been a PC gamer, and I know there are PC vs Console arguments, but having come from the Mobile version, to PC, I know PC is *FAR* superior to Mobile, so i can only imagine the difference between Console and PC.

I believe PC was the target release platform, and Console is an added bonus. If you think DD on a laptop (with settings to improve performance) is good, wait till you see it running on a High end (well it was at one time), Core2Duo with 6870/1GB and 6GB of ram on Windows 7 64bit. The only reason I lag now, is when the host things 56k dialup is enough to run a 4 player high action map.

To give you an idea of what will run:

My laptop has the Radeon HD 6470 (1GB of DDR3 dedicated memory) and it can run the game on medium @ 1366x768, but it's iffy. When I turn Post-Processing off, the game is more managable, but that's still hugely dependant on the amount of enemies on the map. While on low settings, with post-processing off, the game runs very smooth and there's no lag.

With your laptop, and specs, the game might run on low, but I don't think the game will be playable.

It's in the options on the main menu, I believe.

More specifically, while in game, goto your video settings and it'll be right above the built-in resolution settings. (I was looking for this the other day, but couldn't find it because I was outside the game lol.)

More specifically, while in game, goto your video settings and it'll be right above the built-in resolution settings. (I was looking for this the other day, but couldn't find it because I was outside the game lol.)

Haha, thanks for this! I should've been clearer in my first post. :^)

I have always been a PC gamer, and I know there are PC vs Console arguments, but having come from the Mobile version, to PC, I know PC is *FAR* superior to Mobile, so i can only imagine the difference between Console and PC.

I believe PC was the target release platform, and Console is an added bonus. If you think DD on a laptop (with settings to improve performance) is good, wait till you see it running on a High end (well it was at one time), Core2Duo with 6870/1GB and 6GB of ram on Windows 7 64bit. The only reason I lag now, is when the host things 56k dialup is enough to run a 4 player high action map.

Unless they lied which is likely they said that they were releasing for all platforms and all were going to get equal support, the game consolers have is in fact a demo to the pc version, we haven't even gotten a patch yet that was promised in January.

Haha, thanks for this! I should've been clearer in my first post. :^)

Lol, no problem!

Just trying to avoid hair pulling, as I've lost several strands trying to find the option myself. :)