Developers Fail (A.k.a the beta testing team is a lie)

Oasis Monster Fest

Thats what happens i f you build a BSP brush with unreal editor, and you dont apply materials to it.

So, you are telling me that a beta testing team didnt noticed a mapping fail that i noticed in my first look at the map?

Impressive

EDIT: (i think i should) : First of all, im not english native, i am unable to do some fine tuning in my expresion, and i really feel that the post has become kind of struggle between mods and frustrated endgamers.
I must clarify, yes, sometimes this game frustrates me too, but its nothing about a texture in a corner, i played Quake 3 some years with flat white textures and 16 bit color, i can live with a bugged BSP brush. I just intended to do some kind of "WTF thread of the day", also i used the expression 'is a lie' as clear reference to the well known 'cake is a lie' from Portal. I am a creative person and i failed zillions of times with my projects, so i can understand something like this and even bigger.
I know that the game development process its extremely hard and innacurate because a lot of people is involved, just look Bethesda with every new release, and their tons of gamebreaker bugs.

Maybe next time i should put some 4chan memes like trollface or something to underline the comical intention of the thread.

/end

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oasis Monster Fest

Thats what happens i f you build a BSP brush with unreal editor, and you dont apply materials to it.

So, you are telling me that a beta testing team didnt noticed a mapping fail that i noticed in my first look at the map?

Impressive

And more, of course:

Oasis Monster Fest

Impressive

I 100% agree. I was hoping that the "new" beta team would be competent, however this release proves that they are either not good testers, or just a group of yes man fanboys. I would love to see an honest explanation on how such obvious glitches were missed. Not to mention the "glitch" on nightmare that caused the boss to have infinite HP and required a hotfix last night. Did the testers ever TRY nightmare? If they did, did they make it to the boss fight? Did they beat it? Were they bored when they got to that point and lost interest?

I hate to say it but the new beta team seems to be as much of a joke as who ever was testing the last few patches.

Maybe this beta team (and their lead) should be thrown out the window again and the team reformed. I suggest you ensure that your beta team has real beta testers with real world beta testing experience, not a group of fanboys.

If Trendy cant prove to me they are capable of releasing a quality patch (that i and others pre paid for), even after significant delays, it may be time to fire up TF2 again.

Anymore bashing of the beta team will lead to infractions. You all act like you are superior. Have a little respect thanks.

Where is the respect for the community? Promising tested patches etc. and therefore bringing the patch up MONTHS later and bringen us destroyed survival, destroyed soloplay, destroyed gearing progression. Tell me

Anymore bashing of the beta team will lead to infractions. You all act like you are superior. Have a little respect thanks.

With all due respect, you are out of line. The beta team is open to the same criticism as anyone else who is affiliated with Trendy. If they didn't want the beta position because they couldn't handle the thick skins that are required for any internet job, they shouldn't have taken it. Internet jobs draw harsh criticism. That's just how the business works. Don't squelch very legitimate concerns simply because you're worried about how someone's feelings will take it. The stuff in this thread is more mild than Trendy gets - there's no reason to go throwing power around.

I agree that it isn't nice to start bashing on others without knowing what work they had gone through. However, it's also not nice of you to throw a comment so aggressive. We know that you're not a TE staff, but if you try to view from TE's point of view, your words do hold significant power and stuff like this could cause player outrage and likely to impact the company's image.

I believe the players here only wanted a good explanation with regards to this matter. I do agree that it is strange if a beta test team would miss out something this obvious. I must say though that I've not played this map and may not be fit to comment (i.e. could this issue be due to his PC having an incompatible gfx card?). A proper explanation (or apology if it's truely TE's mistake) will help to restore customer confidence and support.

Either the beta team is useless or trendy just ignore them. ;)

But as we all know, this is but a drop in the ocean...

With all due respect, you are out of line. The beta team is open to the same criticism as anyone else who is affiliated with Trendy. If they didn't want the beta position because they couldn't handle the thick skins that are required for any internet job, they shouldn't have taken it. Internet jobs draw harsh criticism. That's just how the business works. Don't squelch very legitimate concerns simply because you're worried about how someone's feelings will take it. The stuff in this thread is more mild than Trendy gets - there's no reason to go throwing power around.

What? So rules don't exist if you're talking about TE or the beta team?

Yeah right, nice call. And trust me, I'll throw as much weight around as necessary when people are just plainly getting abused on this forum. Test me ;)

You can bring issues to TE's attention without being a jerk. I am in no way denying people their right to complain, but just like in life, do it the right way, or risk the consequences.

you took this the wrong way its a joke not an insult. The best testers are allways the actual player base.

Calm down everybody. Seriously, this could be a lot worse. It's a missing texture that yes, any tester should have found. However, it is not breaking the game and it is not a ninja nerf.
I do have to admit though that I do not like this situation at all. Not only does this issue exist but since the original 7.20 release I have gotten two more hotfixes. Seriously? Who ever is in charge of quality assurance should, if they haven't already, step back and ask themselves what is going wrong, because something is.

I believe people are also forgetting that this new content patch was originally set to be released at least a month ago. That being said in conjunction with this pic it comes across to people as simply Fail. An extra month and programmers/testers still can't get their results together accurately? These are real concerns from customers some of which have not only pre-paid for content but also have continued to remain by Trendys side from many of the previous incidents in hopes they would have got their act together by now. I personally finding my desire to play something else when i get off work or have free time much stronger as the content comes out.

oh no, an infraction on a forum on the interweb.

What you see as bashing i see as legitimate questions by the community. Especially given the statements regarding the forming of a whole new beta team to prevent issues like the ones that cropped up in this patch. Many of us pre-paid for this content, When it is released with obvious flaws and bugs we as the customer have every right to question the work of those who tested it.

A sub par product was released despite significant delays and promises of improved testing. Questions and criticism even of the harsh nature are bound to come up. Your reaction only serves to en flame issues more, and as others have have so eloquently put it, makes you come off as a power hungry mod (even if this is not the case).

Reasonable questions have been put forth, I hope the only reply we get in this thread isn't from a mod making threats.

And we still don't get answeres. I ask in the Patch Sticky what they test. If Trendy dunno answer our questions, then we have think about beeing right ;)

And we still don't get answeres. I ask in the Patch Sticky what they test. If Trendy dunno answer our questions, then we have think about beeing right ;)

I hope to see some form of reply once hitmo is around.

Soooo one layer is missing and the world is coming to an end and everyone is a lie?

The beta team isn't infallible and you guys are making a mountain of an ant hill.

Do not call out players or a group of players.

Fin

Out of curiosity, are there any members of the beta team that are not 'end game' players ? Because the ball seems to have been dropped substantially to this class of player.

What? So rules don't exist if you're talking about TE or the beta team?

Yeah right, nice call. And trust me, I'll throw as much weight around as necessary when people are just plainly getting abused on this forum. Test me ;)

You can bring issues to TE's attention without being a jerk. I am in no way denying people their right to complain, but just like in life, do it the right way, or risk the consequences.

When i spotted that brush with no texture i find it really funny, all people love epic fails sometimes, the map still works well without textures.

Also i dont think i've been unrespectful with anybody, i just pointed something obvious, no one in the dev team or beta team has spotted that huge brush without material applied.

Now if you want, crush me with all your power, ban me, close the thread, etc.

Anyway, you are not loving this game more than me.

Soooo one layer is missing and the world is coming to an end and everyone is a lie?

The beta team isn't infallible and you guys are making a mountain of an ant hill.

Do no call out players or a group of players.

Fin

No its not the one texture. Theres the misty crash and nightmare boss glitch that required a hot fix as well. Along with some other randomness ive seen in some other posts. The texture would be minor on its on, with some of the other issues it shows a lack of testing, at least in my opinion. These are not things that are hard to find, these are blatant in your face glitches that should not make it through the testing process.

oh no, an infraction on a forum on the interweb.

What you see as bashing i see as legitimate questions by the community. Especially given the statements regarding the forming of a whole new beta team to prevent issues like the ones that cropped up in this patch. Many of us pre-paid for this content, When it is released with obvious flaws and bugs we as the customer have every right to question the work of those who tested it.

A sub par product was released despite significant delays and promises of improved testing. Questions and criticism even of the harsh nature are bound to come up. Your reaction only serves to en flame issues more, and as others have have so eloquently put it, makes you come off as a power hungry mod (even if this is not the case).

Reasonable questions have been put forth, I hope the only reply we get in this thread isn't from a mod making threats.

I'm not making threats, it will happen. Rules are to be followed. I'll show you what I mean. See the bolder points below;

I 100% agree. I was hoping that the "new" beta team would be competent, however this release proves that they are either not good testers, or just a group of yes man fanboys. I would love to see an honest explanation on how such obvious glitches were missed. Not to mention the "glitch" on nightmare that caused the boss to have infinite HP and required a hotfix last night. Did the testers ever TRY nightmare? If they did, did they make it to the boss fight? Did they beat it? Were they bored when they got to that point and lost interest?

I hate to say it but the new beta team seems to be as much of a joke as who ever was testing the last few patches.

Maybe this beta team (and their lead) should be thrown out the window again and the team reformed. I suggest you ensure that your beta team has real beta testers with real world beta testing experience, not a group of fanboys.

If Trendy cant prove to me they are capable of releasing a quality patch (that i and others pre paid for), even after significant delays, it may be time to fire up TF2 again.

The bolder points just simply aren't necessary. Do I agree that mistakes should not be made? Yes. Are the beta team human? Yes. Instead of game breaking bugs, they *maybe* let this slip.

I'm not trying to discourage debate, I'm trying to facilitate adult debate. Adults don't need to bully, or insult others to get their point accross. Call me crazy, but I just can't respect someone who results to insults, when they could be far more mature about the situation. I'm not trying to offend you, so if I have, I apologise.

I guess the reason why people get so heated about this game is because they love it, so why can't they show a little more love in their complaints. We all know you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Do no call out players or a group of players.

Fin

Before i start, i would like to say that i do not really care that there is missing textures, its simply that i paid for the DLC pack and expect receive what i paid for and any promises to be fullfilled(such as a Testing Team)
Our point is that one of the following is true...
1. The Beta Testers are Blind
2. TE thought no one would notice
3. There is no Beta Testing Team
or 4. This is a rare bug that appears on EVERY players screen >_>

so basically, it's a Beta Tester's Job to.. well.. to Test >_> which it obviously hasnt been since there is a large amount of texture missing.
say what you like, but you have to admit. It's pretty fail if no one at TE or any of the Testers noticed the large amount of missing texture >_>

and classic22, I doubt they would let it slip by if they knew about it, so clearly the finger should be pointed at the Testers.

Our point is that one of the following is true... The Beta Testers are Blind, TE thought no one would notice, there is no Beta Testing Team or this is a rare bug that appears on EVERY players screen >_>

so basically, it's a Beta Tester's Job to.. well.. to Test >_> which it obviously hasnt been since there is a large amount of texture missing.
say what you like, but you have to admit. It's pretty fail if no one at TE or any of the Testers noticed the large amount of missing texture >_>

I would like to note that a bad cook (complaining of all the game files) can cause glitches between beta testing and release as they are techinally different builds. This could be something as simple as their PC glitching while throwing all the files together. Its a simple fix and means nothing on what the beta team is doing IMO...