Sign in to follow this  
Sercease

Mass Effect 3 Forcing Origin... Pirate?

Get it out of the way first, I'm against pirating full heartily, I think game developers deserve pay for their work. In the next breathe for some reason I am so tempted to pirate this game for the below reasons.

I have been waiting for this game forever, played and beat 1 & 2 numerous times and sure I'm not alone in that. However I have a major dilemma with it now. For starters it won't be released on Steam and EA is forcing their spyware filled Origin to run it. It would be wrong to say I hate EA, but I do so no point hiding it. I'm tired of their update roaster list - re-release sport games that never offer anything new (except maybe last madden, it was an improvement, still refused to buy though). The only game of theirs I even care about is Mass Effect and it is the only way they will ever get money out of me... maybe

Why I'm leaning towards a playing a pirate copy (but still buying in store):

1) Forcing to use Origin - I'm sure everyone is well aware how much the community hates Origin and it's flaky at the best of times but just because it's EA's baby they are forcing it down our throats. That's not even touching on how by installing it you give EA permission to snoop through your computer and relay that information back to them.

2) Releasing DLC contect WITH LAUNCH of the game - you are a bunch of money hungry A-holes. It's a major story arc with playable character and story (Prothean story arc: You know those guys who ME2 completely revolved around...) this should BE IN THE GAME ALREADY. End of story.

2b) If they did it once, you know they are going to abuse the crap out of it. DLC will be flying left and right wanting more and more money and if they keep revolving it around major story arcs, any true fan of the lore will be forced to buy. The greed has to stop somewhere.

3) EA themselves - They don't listen to the community, they do whatever they want with the smug attitude of deal with it. If it wasn't for Mass Effect I would have written them off already and they would never see my money again. Far as I'm concerned there greedy, corrupt, and an ego that's way to big.

It's a serious moral dilemma because I don't want to pirate games nor endorse pirating but I just don't agree with anything EA is doing. In the next breathe, I HAVE to play this game, I love it to much. Unfortunately they know they have people hooked on it and are abusing that knowledge.

The DLC with launch makes me the most mad, origin is just the icing on the cake. I'm very tempted to go buy it at a store and then use the pirated copy just so I don't have to install Origin on my machine. Least my conscience will remain clear and I don't have to install software that is going to spy on me.

TL;DR -- What do you do when you want to play a game but don't agree to their terms of service (Origin)? A viable answer is get for xbox but personal preference any game where I have to aim, I want mouse/keyboard and would partially ruin the experience for me resorting to playing on xbox.

And in-case anyone was wondering why I want nothing to do with Origin...

That paragraph scares the crap out of me. Nobody deserves that kind of power.

Edit: To mods - just noticed in rules says no threads about piracy, probably should have read that first. In it's defense its not so much about piracy as posing a moral question (TL;DR)

I know how it feels! I hate Origin really. Back around this time last year when Crysis 2 got released, they didn't have Origin, those were the good times. Used to regularly play C2 with a lot of friends, the moment they integrated most of their new released games into Origin, the first couple of days were ok and acceptable as they just released a new platform so things were understood that they won't be perfect. About a month later, it showed how crappy their service is, frequent laggs or "Origin stopped working" errors and god what not! It just killed the game for me. Although it wasn't the best games under Crysis banner, but I loved it, I'm a Crysis fan-boy so that's natural!
Coming back to topic: OMG - Mass Effect, best game ever for me, ever. I've played ME 1 and 2 like countless times. Played them in and out, finished all DLCs, including The Arrival for ME2.
NOW. what they are doing with the fan-base by releasing the Prothean DLC for money, is shameful. I'll be forced to buy it or any DLC that comes along anyways, coz I love this game and I can't afford to miss out even a single part of this epic storyline...But in the end, a lot of gamers in the "new fan base" will end up buying the game legit but playing pirated copies only coz EA is a bunch of greedy-jerks, and that's a fact :/
ME3 DEMO was so good xD !!! But for some reason Origin won't allow me to go multi-player, then again it's origin and you can't complain -_-'
Wish at least ME3 would have been on Steam.

I cannot see why Origin is that bad. EA and Steam EULA is virtually identical and based on the test, Origin is less intrusive than Steam.
Link1
Link2

Well I wouldn't say much about Policies, but quality and service-wise Steam > Origins, by quite a margin and EA itself knows that for a fact!

I cannot see why Origin is that bad. EA and Steam EULA is virtually identical and based on the test, Origin is less intrusive than Steam.
Link1
Link2

THIS is what scares me about Origin and why they are so bad. You are basically giving them a free pass to EVERYTHING in your computer to use HOWEVER they want. Even says they will share your information with third-party's. Not cool.

Steam User Agreement. I see nothing in there about collecting my information or distributing it.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

That's why I have a serious issue using Origin. I have 24 hours to figure it out what to do if I want to play at launch though, lol.

THIS is what scares me about Origin and why they are so bad. You are basically giving them a free pass to EVERYTHING in your computer to use HOWEVER they want. Even says they will share your information with third-party's. Not cool.

Steam User Agreement. I see nothing in there about collecting my information or distributing it.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

That's why I have a serious issue using Origin. I have 24 hours to figure it out what to do if I want to play at launch though, lol.

From the shown image: [quote]"...We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."[/quote]

These are 2 different things you see. What you are thinking is they'll lend the data collected from you to anyone and say: "Hey! we have got this much DATA from Mr.XYZ, his complete name is this: his IP is this, etc. now do whatever you want to do with it.", which makes you scared. But it's not what they are doing. They collect the CPU usage and other data that is important for them to make products better, to enhance more user satisfaction, etc.

Agreed people curse EA for being a greedy company or whatever it may be, I really don't care much about all that as long as I get good products from EA they are good for me, don't get me wrong here but they aren't fools to toy around with your data publicly.
You are somewhat getting the whole privacy policy thing completely wrong, they collect data to improve their service. One shouldn't be afraid of privacy policies unless you are going to do something awfully wrong, like modifying Origin without their permission etc. there can be a lot of things which come under that.

And a little section from the Steam Policy which you linked:
[quote]7. USER GENERATED INFORMATION

"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve through your use of the Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Valve privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, you expressly grant Valve the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.
[/quote]

Now I don't find HUGE difference in their policy and EA's policy.

If you care so much about policies and consider that Steam is not "collecting" and "distributing" your data read this. That privacy policy, is in contradiction to your statement:
[quote]I see nothing in there about collecting my information or distributing it.[/quote]

Now after all that, please do explain how EA's Origin is any different or let me put it in this way "worse" compared to Valve's Steam in terms of collecting and displaying data.
*edit:*If you compare policy wise, I'd say Origin is better than Steam, at least it says that EA won't be displaying your information which will help identify you by any means.

As far as I know I haven't come across any third party software or websites that is displaying my private information be it only my profile, publicly. Whatever type of a company EA would be, it's a HUGE enterprise, allowing millions of collected user data to be displayed publicly will probably never come under EA's Privacy Policy as it does in the case of Valve.

On a concluding note, some EA personnel isn't gonna come to your home and say: "Hey! We see you are using a pirated anti-virus software by collecting your data, which has no relation to EA, but we will still nab you because you are indulging yourself into piracy, and that's against the law." that's totally not gonna happen.

So stop worrying about EA's policy play the game fairly, enjoy it. And still if you are so afraid of the policies etc., just don't bother installing Origin and don't play the game, at least avoid playing the game on a "pirated copy".

If the DLC annoys you, how about just don't invest in the DLC? If everyone bought the game and not the DLC it's be more effective than everyone pirating it, which is another reason for EA to turn around and go, screw you PC users. origin is another way of them controlling their games, albeit it's cracked but they want to protect their IPs.

Origin really isn't any worse then Steam, when it originally came out, it was, but they sorted that and changed the EULA. People keep complaining about all these services, which exist because everyone keeps pirating. I've been using Origin for Bf3 since beta. I've not had any extra spam e-mail or other bollocks.

I won't be buying the DLC, because quite frankly the $860 for all the in-game DLC is ridiculous, but it's not going to make me pirate the game, I just got the standard version, on Origin, which won't ruin your life. With VPN magic I can play it right now, legally.

If the DLC annoys you, how about just don't invest in the DLC? If everyone bought the game and not the DLC it's be more effective than everyone pirating it, which is another reason for EA to turn around and go, screw you PC users. origin is another way of them controlling their games, albeit it's cracked but they want to protect their IPs.

Origin really isn't any worse then Steam, when it originally came out, it was, but they sorted that and changed the EULA. People keep complaining about all these services, which exist because everyone keeps pirating. I've been using Origin for Bf3 since beta. I've not had any extra spam e-mail or other bollocks.

I won't be buying the DLC, because quite frankly the $860 for all the in-game DLC is ridiculous, but it's not going to make me pirate the game, I just got the standard version, on Origin, which won't ruin your life. With VPN magic I can play it right now, legally.

Good post!

Although I won't say much about Origin overall, coz I totally stopped using it when the thing got released, and it was utter garbage early on which made me quit it. Just got back on it recently when ME3 Demo came out, so let' see how they have improved it!
Even I don't remember having any privacy related issues with Origin either.

True - if someone is so bothered about the DLC etc. just don't get it, and try not to pirate the game either!

In my country I get games @ 85% cheaper if I was to compare them to Steam or Origin's sale price. No it's not Russia, it's India actually. Retail version of games which I can buy and register over Origin/Steam "legally" would cost about 85% less than what I'd have to pay if I wanted to get it from Steam/Origin online, example just got retail Saints Row 3 for 600 Rupees, i.e. 12 U$D viz 75% less than it's Steam sale price! Which means I can totally try and get the DLCs as well xD !!!
So pirating a game for me is like just wasting bandwidth and efforts finding one.

Origin is fine, it's just like Steam... If you worry about your privacy, maybe you should pull the plug from everything in your house.
Also throw away your Gas Station cards, Supermarket Cards and stop your mobile subscription.
Wear a ski-mask when you go outside!

The thing that probably sucks is ME3 btw, played the demo and I wasn't impressed one bit. (I enjoyed ME1 & 2)

@BlackMamba --- Cheers mate, that's exactly why I made the post (be it not very direct, but we got there), so someone smarter than me could make sense of it all (legal documents confuse the hell out of me). I was certainly reading it wrong, you are right.

I'm very paranoid when it comes to online information, I don't use facebook (omg blasphamy!) and very cautious on what I install and do online, etc. I had just heard all these horror stories about origin and read a few myself and apparently started reading between the lines. Was hoping to get some others feedback on their experience and glad you and Cr4zy had some experience with it.

Part of it boils down to the whole, they won't... but they could, mentality. For instance iPhones have GPS tracking, they say they won't ever track you, but they can, if they decided too, or the cops told them too. It's stuff like that that bugs me, companies say they won't misuse their information but they have the 'potential' that they could. Not saying they will, just saying the potential is there and I feel safer if they just don't have it. Also raises the question of that information has to be stored somewhere and someone other than EA could gain access to it. The paranoia has to stop somewhere though I guess, can't make decisions on "what if's"

For the steam user agreement, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not saying that they can use any information you "publicly display"? I don't really see the harm there, if you put it up publicly then ya, they / the whole world can read it or do what they want with it. But seriously that legal piglatin stuff makes no sense to me, lol.

@Cr4zy --- In regards to the DLC, I'm currently going with the just don't buy option. My issue is only with the playable DLC dealing with the Prothean's as they are a very crucial part of the lore. For someone who cares about the lore and story lines it is one of those "I have to play that!" things and if it came out months later I would probably snap up right away. I just don't agree with releasing DLC with the launch of a game, it's a greedy cash grab and anger's the community. However, they have hooks in you because it is part of the story (if you will) and almost forces you to buy. I could care less about the $840 worth of extra equipment and special items crap that's also out there. I just care about the lore and story lines DLC and just really pissed me off releasing it at launch.

@DLUX --- very constructive. Sometimes I do wear a ski mask outside actually. Although that's because I live in a part of Canada where we get winters that drop to -60C with windchills on a fairly regular basis, that crap will freeze your skin in minutes.

On a unrelated-ish note: They just announced new SimCity for 2013 that is EA/Maxis. Probably going to run Origin too, and holy crap, happy dance, can not wait, never been this giddy since Christmas as a kid!!! I STILL play SimCity 4 to this day and had come to the sad conclusion the series was dead but they are bringing it back!!! AND it's going to be multiplayer. I will want to play online so I am going to have to cave for that game anyway. There is no WAY I'm not getting that game, they can have whatever information of mine they want if they give it to me now and save me the wait, lol.

And to re-iterate, I do NOT support piracy. Just at odds with the whole scenario, first time dealing with Origin.

It's all good buddy!
I'm desperate to try it out, but sadly my copy hasn't arrived yet and it can take until Saturday or even Monday in my country, because we have a national festival today of great importance that is, and usually Saturday-Sundays are non-business days!
Just hope it comes up soon, can't wait :X !!!

Also as a little info for those who are gonna try Mass Effect out - don't go by USER RATINGS, on most of the review sites a lot of people trolled EA/BioWare coz they played the pre-released pirated versions full of bugs etc., and about the DLC release, so they cry about that, well silly trolls!

It's a great game...it had to be and it is! The whole Mass Effect series will make you go crazy.

And @ Sercease - I'm totally one of those people: "I ****ING HAVE TO PLAY THIS" xD Coz believe this or not, I'm still playing ME1 and ME2 to get me some more different endings in ME3, already have a 3 different playthrough endings from both games :D Current one I'm making from ME2 is where probably I'll let all squad mates die and let Commander Shepard die as well :( !!!

It's all good buddy!
I'm desperate to try it out, but sadly my copy hasn't arrived yet and it can take until Saturday or even Monday in my country, because we have a national festival today of great importance that is, and usually Saturday-Sundays are non-business days!

Holi ! ^.^ ...Getting ready with my nerf guns.... Happy holi!

I'm desperate to try it out, but sadly my copy hasn't arrived yet ...

I caved and bought it. Not going to lie, only about 2 hours into it and it is FREAKING AWESOME. They really stepped up the graphics / immersion. When you spend as much time looking around at the scenery as you do playing, you know your in for a treat. Finally have a free night tonight and can not wait to burn it all on ME3.

I think I'm in love.

I caved and bought it. Not going to lie, only about 2 hours into it and it is FREAKING AWESOME. They really stepped up the graphics / immersion. When you spend as much time looking around at the scenery as you do playing, you know your in for a treat. Finally have a free night tonight and can not wait to burn it all on ME3.

I think I'm in love.

Wow...good to know you are enjoying it, but I'm just sad here :( and sort of jealous :P !

I'm so tempted to pick this up and dive in (this one I'll do on 360, though, so I can do the MP with my buddy). I haven't played through the first two, though. Just started ME1 and am only about 8 hrs in (lvl 15ish). Enjoying it so far, though.

Another ME fan here. ME3 has been great so far. I literally almost cried when I started throwing out some Shockwaves and Warps! The biotics sound AMAZING in this! They really stepped up their game on the combat. It's so smooth now.

Oh and one thing: Reaper Awareness?! That is going to be a pain in the ***!

I'm so tempted to pick this up and dive in (this one I'll do on 360, though, so I can do the MP with my buddy). I haven't played through the first two, though. Just started ME1 and am only about 8 hrs in (lvl 15ish). Enjoying it so far, though.

I really advise you not to play 3 before beating 1 and 2. It's worth it. If you're liking ME1, you'll love ME2. ME2 was a great experience.

I really advise you not to play 3 before beating 1 and 2. It's worth it. If you're liking ME1, you'll love ME2. ME2 was a great experience.

Agreed, this is one of those games that's a huge story and you would be missing out on a lot if you haven't played the first two. You continuously run into the same characters from previous installments and wouldn't even know it without playing them first.

Not to mention all the decisions you make along the way in ME1 and ME2 will carry over to ME3, and supposedly play a big role.