Well, guess I got banned.

Yeah so funny story. I didn't pay attention to the rules of steam, and now I am VAC banned. I left a bad program open while playing in open (not even ranked). So I was planning on spending more money on this game but, it's not likely now that I can't play online. I never used the modded items until after I had beaten the game and most of the achievements, but now I feel like an idiot. So anyone out there thinking of modding your stuff, head this warning. Don't run memory accessing programs when playing online. Yeah again that is probably a no brainer. Is there a work around to play online? Through gamespy or something. I really like this game, and it sucks that I didn't pay attention. Well anyway if I ever start a new steam account, receive donations from friends, and feel motivated enough to start over from scratch I might be on later this year. For an adult gamer, who works full time, and has limited resources for gaming funds I guess i will try something else out. Any suggestions on a game I should get into? Maybe trendy will have a contest in which I can win the game and all the dlc again. :) Hey trendy I have an idea I will pay you directly for the game and dlc and we can bypass steam taking their cut. What say you? Oh well rant over...

You can play online via GameSpy by selecting it as your network provider in the config program.

You can use the DDDK to get items and custom maps to get exp and mana, there is no excuse to use a hack program ever. Hacking != modding.

If you really want to play DD again, just wait for another steam/amazon sale. You'll get DD for 3 bucks on amazon, 3.75 on steam (with the DLC likely to be reduced 75% also at that time.) Buy it all on a new account and you're good to go

Yeah maybe its just time to play something else. I checked out the gamespy online play and it sucks. So long Dundef, you are a pretty cool game but alas I don't feel like buying something twice. I have learned my lesson and will not mod again, but its still a bit silly. I mean steam could have sent me a warning email first. I might just abandon steam altogether. I'm not throwing a fit, just pointing out that a hacker that is paying, is still a paying customer, and the customer is always right.

the customer is always right.

You should dissuade yourself of this notion. It will serve you much better in life. The customer being "always right" leads to unhappy workers, more abrasive customers, and just overall bad service.

If you have any questions about this, I'm more than happy to answer you. In the meantime, you can check here and read for a bit since you now have some free time that you would have spent playing this game but now can't due to your being removed from the service.

Here.

The customer is rarely right. Trust me, I work in customer service. Customers can be complete morons sometimes. You are not entitled to anything special just because you are spending money. Those people are the kinds of customers we don't want to come back. Like hackers. Hackers don't belong in this community, and they are not welcomed by anyone else, paying customers or no.

As others have stated, there are better programs to use for modding in open mode (like, you know...the one Trendy gave us).

Sorry, but I just don't have much sympathy.

I fail to see the point of earning even 1 achievement or map with modded/hacked gear and so I dont feel for your plight. You stated you got some of them then used modded gear. Why not get all of them? You gave up on your own skill? Dont you like to earn your wins and titles?

[QUOTE]just pointing out that a hacker that is paying, is still a paying customer, and the customer is always right. [/QUOTE]When you pay for a computer game, you agree to be governed by a set of rules. If you break those rules, then you agree to accept the consequences. Being a paying customer does not absolve you of any responsibility to follow the rules that were set forth when you made the purchase.

If I buy a ticket to see a movie, and I stand on my seat and yell and scream, I'm going to get ejected from the theater. Am I entitled to a refund or readmittance just because I'm a paying customer, I want it and I'm always right?

it looks to me like you are asking Steam to make hacking and cheating OK. It's not OK, and most of the people who buy and play a game expect it to be free of it. By banning cheaters, they may be sacrificing those banned customers, but they are potentially securing many more customers by providing them with the service they expect.

Ah looking back I was kind of whining and throwing a fit. I know I was wrong. I accept my punishment. I could argue that I thought "anything goes" in open but alas there is no point. So my only question now is, how can I continue to play a game that I enjoy. I am not rich. I don't have money to buy the game and dlc again. Plus I really can't rationalize buying a bunch of game content twice. Its just not smart money handling. Please continue to insult me and turn your noses up at my foolish cheating ways. I deserve it. I just wish I could be given a second chance. What if the VAC ban worked more like a speeding ticket? I pay a one time fee to steam and they let me continue playing. Just not a fee greater than the value of the content I own on steam. I really like this game. I promote it and try to get every gamer I know to buy it. There has to be a way to earn some grace. Even murderers can get parole. Is "cheating" on a video game such an unforgivable sin?

I am not rich. I don't have money to buy the game and dlc again.

[QUOTE]What if the VAC ban worked more like a speeding ticket? I pay a one time fee to steam and they let me continue playing.[/QUOTE]

Read what you wrote here. Think about it. You may be poor and unable to re-buy the content. What about the ones who are better off? The ones that CAN afford to buy the content? with this in place all they have to do is keep paying to cheat.

paying. to cheat. and getting away with it. because of money.

imagine that.

[QUOTE]Is "cheating" on a video game such an unforgivable sin?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Your use of even murderers can get parole so I deserve a cookie with a big giant Second Chance Fortune in it should be on the next Saturday Night REALLY! with Seth Meyers skit. Rediculous and in my book it is unforgivable. This is the world of zeros and ones and not the real world. Hacking / cheating in gaming is near the pinnacle of no-nos on the gaming sin list. IF you were in my clan I would ban you from it. You dont deserve forgiveness. You deserve evil GLaDOS dreams. BUT i am biased. Hackers modders cheaters have ruined the majority online mulitplayer games I loved and quit playing. Seems you only ruined it for yourself and dint harm others directly by selling them hacked gear or whatnots. SO if anyone does indeed deserve a second chance it would be you but I sure in the 9 hells wouldnt give it to you if it was up to me.

Yes. Yes it is.

Lewlz

well I sent in a ticket begging for a death row pardon. I told them I would record someone punching me in the face and post it to youtube if it would make a difference. Actually if some people would just gift me copies of the game and dlc to a new account i create I would record several punches to my face! This is desperation here. Am I in the bargaining phase of grief?

Your use of even murderers can get parole so I deserve a cookie with a big giant Second Chance Fortune in it should be on the next Saturday Night REALLY! with Seth Meyers skit. Rediculous and in my book it is unforgivable. This is the world of zeros and ones and not the real world. Hacking / cheating in gaming is near the pinnacle of no-nos on the gaming sin list. IF you were in my clan I would ban you from it. You dont deserve forgiveness. You deserve evil GLaDOS dreams. BUT i am biased. Hackers modders cheaters have ruined the majority online mulitplayer games I loved and quit playing. Seems you only ruined it for yourself and dint harm others directly by selling them hacked gear or whatnots. SO if anyone does indeed deserve a second chance it would be you but I sure in the 9 hells wouldnt give it to you if it was up to me.

I deserve that. I actually am getting some laughs out of this situation. I was wrong I know. No arguments from me. I will just wait for a sale and pony up the dough like a red blooded american.

I think that most people who use cheats and mod their own stuff, have already bought multiple copies of the game when it was on sale. I'm all for banning cheaters/hackers, but you guys dont have to make it sound like its costing you an arm and a leg, if nothing, you could quite well be profiting from this.

edit; By you guys, I meant TE.

Double edit; I just read past Alna's post after I read it (impuslive responder here) and the OP's responses only prove my point right. Trendy GAINS more money out of this, I doubt OP will really learn his lesson (there will be smarter/undetected ways of cheating since then).

Cheating is only acceptable when the game has its own built in functions to allow you to cheat. Hence, why using DDDK to give yourself items and playing super EXP/mana maps on open is okay, but hacking isnt.

Cheating is only acceptable when the game has its own built in functions to allow you to cheat. Hence, why using DDDK to give yourself items and playing super EXP/mana maps on open is okay, but hacking isnt.

I agree wholeheartedly. I used [redacted] and got caught. I was foolsih and deserve what I got. Going clean from now on. Gonna eventually buy the content again. Pull some extra shifts and wait for a sale most likely. I got into this game because of the holiday sale. Sorry for my evil ways. Really I have learned my lesson.

And to John, please take the name of specific programs out of your posts, that is a no brainer.

Registered to post this, found someone already posted this. Posting the name of a program like that not only incriminates yourself further, but also eases the door open for others to suffer the same fate at the hands of VAC. Good job bro.
Pull some extra shifts
I hope only one extra shift will be sufficient to purchase the ~$33 of content. If not, you should probably stop getting paid under the table.

[QUOTE]I agree wholeheartedly. I used A BAD PROGRAM and got caught. I was foolsih and deserve what I got. Going clean from now on. Gonna eventually buy the content again. Pull some extra shifts and wait for a sale most likely. I got into this game because of the holiday sale. Sorry for my evil ways. Really I have learned my lesson. [/QUOTE]
I'm glad to hear that. Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest to you other than "Use Gamespy / play local" or rebuy the game on a new steam account (but not before making sure you don't have that program on your PC anymore for safety's sake).

Registered to post this, found someone already posted this. Posting the name of a program like that not only incriminates yourself further, but also eases the door open for others to suffer the same fate at the hands of VAC. Good job bro.

I hope only one extra shift will be sufficient to purchase the ~$33 of content. If not, you should probably stop getting paid under the table.

It also only helps people who would want to cheat, but don't know where to start. I never knew how the cheaters were actually doing it until I read a thread that mentioned the name of one of these programs.

LOL! Seriously, the game isn't that expensive.

Yes, the customer is always right. In this case, it's the majority of customers who are right. The majority of customers want hackers gone.

I got banned a few days ago for pretty much the same thing. Bought it over again on a new account and I'm fully aware of the fact that it's my own fault I got banned. I do think it's pretty stupid that you can get banned for simply having a program running on your computer though, if you're not using it to hack DD then getting banned for it is like going to jail for owning a knife. You don't break the law until you stab someone in the eye.

Yes, the customer is always right. In this case, it's the majority of customers who are right. The majority of customers want hackers gone.

contradicting. always is all the time. it's not a case by case basis.

contradicting. always is all the time. it's not a case by case basis.

Yes, the majority of customers are always right.

You can't be digging too deep into this, otherwise it'd never be true because then I could just say I deserve to get everything I want in your store for free and I'll be right.

I do think it's pretty stupid that you can get banned for simply having a program running on your computer though, if you're not using it to hack DD then getting banned for it is like going to jail for owning a knife. You don't break the law until you stab someone in the eye.

Interesting analogy. I'd say it's more like holding "your friend's" stash of controlled substance(s), and boarding a plane. Sure, you knew they were going to check you, and you knew that it's against the rules to have it on you, but it's not yours. It's totally for that other guy...