Has the apprentice completely died off now?

Every guide and strategy i see now always has squire towers. To me it still feels like the apprentice towers should be viable as an alternative to squires. What do you guys say? What is the biggest reason apprentices are no longer used? Are the towers too weak, is it the low hp or something else?

too weak imo, my app has 900 attack dmg (tower) and by the time they killed a spider, the've already been webbed.
i only use my tower app for some deadly strikers for wyverns, harpoons can aim like a retard sometimes.

oh and fireballs are pretty good, but again, harpoons with same stats are better imo.

Low hps and not enough damage to make up. Also, squires are much more survivable on nightmare than apprentices.

I have a squire and an apprentice with similar stats. It is much easier to do things with the squire than it is the apprentice. They both have close to 600 1000 500 500 for tower stats. I can get to wave 15 solo with my squire on HC NM survival ramparts and can tank an ogre if needed. My apprentice is running for his life most of the time and repairing constantly.

I think hes still pretty good, you can solo NM HC campaign with apprentice pretty easy with tower stats around 1000.

But as Vertigo said - apprentice is crap because his survivability is even worse than on huntress. Why exactly would you want to play with 30 000 hp or less and get instakilled when you can have 150 000 hp or more? You would have to be crazy.

Apprentice will still do well in NM campaign but squire will do better, as far as campaign goes they are usefull but in normal NM survival HC they are mainly use for their walls as it saves up DU for other towers and app towers simply dont do enough damage in later waves of hc survival so they arent use. As for mix mode survival NM HC he just cant cut it their walls which is the only thing people were using him for off late in survival simply dont have enough HP so your better off using squire walls.

not completely, but they are certainly less popular than squire. i think they need to be buffed, but not a lazy buff accross the board, rather just buff some of the weaker towers like the dst especially, as well to certain degree the lightning. a lil tiny buff to the fireball tower, even though i think its their strongest tower, it should remain their "staple" tower.

Pre-patch I had a Countess with stacked tower HP set and an Apprentice with stacked tower attack set.
Stripped Apprentice naked - Gave Countess's set.
Stripped Countess naked - Gave Apprentice's set.
Now my Apprentice builds walls, and my countess guns. Problem solved.

Are they dead in the game? no
Are they dead in nightmare? yes

Still very viable builders for challenges and campaign pre-nightmare.

I still use Apprentice towers, but I use Squire walls. I just adapted to the nerfs and instead created new builds around it, as I thought others would. They've become less popular only because people want to employ the same strategies without trying new things. I simply believe he would be more popular if a few of his towers were given some QoL buffs, but that's really all he would need.

Every guide and strategy i see now always has squire towers. To me it still feels like the apprentice towers should be viable as an alternative to squires. What do you guys say? What is the biggest reason apprentices are no longer used? Are the towers too weak, is it the low hp or something else?

Sadly, it seems to be the case. The squire nerf was pretty significant, and I can now get further in survivial with an I-just-reached-74-and-threw-on-Endless-Spires-Mythical-Set-Not-Fully-Upgraded Squire than I can with my apprentice using better, fully upgraded gear. My Squire has less tower damage stat and yet all of my squire towers do far more damage per DU.

Imagine an eternal tug o war between Squire towers and App towers. Give it a few months and I'm sure Apps will be back on top again, at least for awhile.

I use Apprentice, can do almost everything except survival ( I don't care ), Ubermonsterfest ( Not enough time to place buildings ;[ ) and mmforest boss.

I still use the apprentice for all my tower needs :D i just figure squire towers were buffed to effectively get the community to utilize squire towers inorder to find and fix the majority of the problems with squire towers in the current beta NM mode as it seems all changes that are occuring are only affecting NM unless specified otherwise. At least thats what i tell myself to feel better lol :) im sure squire towers will get nerfed , balanced is a better term :) by the release of the final shard map.
App towers are still viable just not as strong. Though, i am currently in the process of leveling a squire to benefit from the squire tower buff since there is no indication if and when the towers will be balanced :)

People use apprentice towers far less because:

Apprentice towers get a hp/dmg buff of 62% in nightmare.
Squire towers get a hp buff of 62% and a damage buff of 162% in nightmare.

This was posted in another thread by someone who did testing with both high and low stats with the same % increase results.

They tried to make the apprentice towers on par with the squire ones, which was a stupid idea in general.

Apprentice seems to be one of the heroes that's tower based mainly, while squire can go either or. Either way, they ended up nerfing the apprentice towers too much in my opinion, and now squire beats him out.

At least buff the towers back up by 5%, then I'll feel a bit better.