Resetting Stats of an item

Besides the character's own stats, item stats encompasses the other half (and probably more) of a character's total stats. Sometimes mistakes are made during item investment. Maybe you screw up and hit the wrong stats, maybe your build got nerfed and you don't need this certain statistic anymore or maybe you didn't know that stacking points in a certain stats gives a remarkable increase, maybe you didn't know that TF2 Engineer's healing will cost you an arm and a leg (In Mana) if you upgrade the repair too much...the list can go on and on.

What I am suggesting is that there be a way to reset upgrades allocated to invested items. Of course, asking for a refund would be too much and there should be a service charge for something like this.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its.. its... LU BU!

In all seriousness, I agree. I think a simple upgrade reset that makes you repay to level the item up again is more than enough punishment.

hum. I can understand it from both views.

view 1
you upgrade an item (say ele damage) then realize that ele sucks and you want phy damage. now you have to farm for a better weapon with better phy damage while using the current weapon.

you upgrade all armor for tower spec. then decide to switch to dps using the ingame character respec. only to realize that you need to now farm more gear for your new dps spec.

view 2
you started as tower spec, switched to dps spec to see if maybe it would be worth a new character (because we are limited to 8 character slots and having 1 set of dps and 1 set of tower is nice, but over doing it. so reset the gear you own and it's all good.

--

the only thing i can see allowing this to happen is that you will loose all mana used for upgrades (even those that will cost millions per level) upon the reset.

cost of this should be a few million mana per item.

See though the basic "reset item, repay all your stats on the way up over again to redo it" is fair to all levels of players. Newer and lower level players shouldn't have to pay hundreds of thousands of initial mana just to reset the item. Its already going to cost enough for you to repay through all the upgrades (given you just through away a ton of mana by resetting it)

@Shadowclaimer
why would a low level character want to reset their items so often?
personally I've avoided upgrading gear until I'm hitting Insane levels more often.

@Shadowclaimer
personally I've avoided upgrading gear until I'm hitting Insane levels more often.

But what I'm saying is that isn't the resetting of an item costly enough to begin with without a base cost associate with it? Resetting skills and such I understand having a base cost given they don't cost to put each skill point in, however when you're reconstructing a level 7 item as a low level because you misplaced your points in multishot, it'd just be better to make them pay all the way up. Then its basically scaled automatically per level.

I don't really know how easy you can get "rich" in the endgame. Maybe it would be enough to add the reset item upgrade feature in the tavern for the same price as character respec.

I agree that there should be an Item Reset feature. There would be the cost of the reset and I would assume that if you're resetting an item, then it must be worth it.

Lower level and common items wouldn't be valuable to reset, but rare and high level items would be. For instance, you might spec one of the unique items from the Steam package in a way that you regret or do not want.

I for instance want to reset my Pyro Familiar's stats.

@Shadowclaimer

Experimentation. The time spent at the lower levels is where you learn most about your class. I don't see any reason to exclude them from this service. Shadowclaimer's suggestion seems more than reasonable to me.

But at lower levels, the items can just be thrown away. Experiment with items that will eventually be thrown out. End game, finding another end game item may prove to be very difficult and therefore calls for a reset.

That is true but what is the point of making it a set amount rather than scaling to the player level? I'm currently at around level 50 and I've been upgrading my better stuff since around 30+. Millions of mana is in no way affordable to me at the moment but items are getting harder to come by and upgrading is a big deal right now. Sure a level 10 might not use this service at all but why prevent them? The system that shadowclaimer suggested blankets all levels and seems fair and reasonable.

To be very honest, I have no real idea. I've heard that it can mess with the game's economy but I don't have any real information. I believe that upgrading should be held off until level 70 where people can mana farm but clearly there are different opinions. I'm only level 25ish so I don't know much.

The first time I cleared glitterhelm on medium at lvl 30 or w/e I got an excellent version of the reward gun, so I started upgrading it and was amazed at how much the attack was going up. I was paying so much attention to that I didn't notice the shot per second level I gained access to @ level 3 or w/e until I had already hit the button. Nub mistake? Obviously. Did I learn? Yes. Would it have been nice to respec it immediately, after only using 30k mana? Of course. Instead I stopped there and ran it 10 more times trying for an equal or better but receiving vastly inferior versions of the gun. I ultimately leveled the original, always knowing how much better it could have been. Seems like a reasonable addition to me.

I will add my voice to this. Another voice of agreement, in fact. Items are incredibly important to your character and simply being able to move points around where you please once upgraded is definitely too far (and it was addressed in another post with a simple 'it will never happen').

I think that the items should at least be able to be reset. Whether it costs the player mana or perhaps gives a small refund (as if you had sold the item's levels and upgrades) should be completely up to Trendy.

I made the mistake of leveling certain aspects of an item I thought I would use somewhere else and now it is not optimal for where it would be best used. Yes this is a mistake I won't make again, but I would easily reset the item back for 5 million mana if that's what it took (seriously).

As for items that are already named, perhaps take the name away on reset or let the player change it again (once it reaches the max level again).

I would really love to see an official post on this so that the discussion can go past 'we want this, we want this'!

I would love to see a reset option for my gear. I also don't mind paying 100k like a character reset and having to buy all the stats back again, you will see it isn't all that much. I look at it like this, if you want to mess around with items to figure out how they work, most people aren't going to use their best item and possibly mess it up. Maybe you will, but in all likelihood you are still low level/new and don't have anything that is irreplaceable or too hard to farm another of. Along with that, the more you experiment with item modding the higher level you become and you see how much faster you are getting mana. You will probably spend 100k improving your crappy gear only to receive something better in a few levels of play. At which point 200k to reform anything you have so far will seem like nothing. If you are using the highest level items in the game, chances are.. you are making enough mana to cover a respec or have messed around with the modding system enough to know a thing or two before you just start clicking randomly. Then there is the question of how you've spent 10mil on upgrading something. If you spent that much on an item already its obvious you know how to get 10mil fast in the one week the game has been out and wont have a problem getting another 10min in the next YEARS you will have the game.

Wholeheartedly agree; I would love the ability to respec (and perhaps also rename) items.

Wholeheartedly agree; I would love the ability to respec (and perhaps also rename) items.

considering that you will reach highest up^ on the item you reset you should naturally get another name change

Item reset is greatly needed, I almost prefer to have that fixed before the chat bug, but then again, no. Chat bug comes first.

I would love to be able to respec my weapons, sometimes you could have a good weapon you wish to keep but you NEED to redo it.