Has anyone else been wrongly convicted and banned from playing online?

Recently I found out through Steam that my Dungeon Defenders online access has been revoked due to a "cheating infraction." This was through Steam's VAC system. I assume it was for using this approved (by Trendy Entertainment) external auto key program, since I have never used anything else with the game, nor cheated with any game in the past.

Before this happened to me, I always assumed Steams VAC or any other online cheating detecting security system in place was pretty accurate and helped more than it hurt. After running into this, my loyalty to Steam has fallen quite a bit as they treat banned customers like dirt. Their policy also explains that all bans are permanent, and basically you are screwed out of all the money invested and time put into the game.
How does a system like this exist? Why do we paying customers put up with this? I know it's the matter of whether or not you have been affected, but still, there has to be better ways in dealing with people who decide to cheat.

It also seems like Steam is covering up a lot of voices on their forums protesting certain bans, and with the recent issues with MW3, we can see they are not 100% effective as they say they are.
I guess this post is to find out how many of you are out there that have ran into this problem and to see how you dealt with it. Due to my experience, I am no longer relying on Steam for all my online gaming and boycotting Trendy Entertainment for having a 3rd party system control cheats which they obviously do not coordinate with to white list certain legit 3rd party programs.

Happened to me too. Was wondering why I only saw two posts in the past two days about it. Guess you vocal types were enjoying your weekends. Good to know that there are more.

I contacted steam and trendy two days ago and still haven't heard back.

Only way we can fight this is if we get more people with the same issues together. Go to Steam forums, find and direct players here. Once we get Trendy on our side, it'll all fall into place hopefully. Dealing with Steam directly will not work as their customer service is notoriously bad.

Registered because I just got VAC'ed for the same reason.

Only thing I was using was AutoHotKeys. Which is legal here.

Only way we can fight this is if we get more people with the same issues together. Go to Steam forums, find and direct players here. Once we get Trendy on our side, it'll all fall into place hopefully. Dealing with Steam directly will not work as their customer service is notoriously bad.

Haha well, I don't know that. Trying to get a dialog going, but yeah. All I've gotten so far is a canned response.

The low end of this game is so fun though that I'm actually having more fun playing this hunter from scratch locally than I was trying to gear / level my trove of 71-72 toons. Explosive traps are damn satisfying! Even more so than cutting down swaths of creeps in ridiculous survival waves.

I'm probably a bit less peeved than anyone that was actually playing multiplayer online. I afk a lot, so I'd been playing online, but in private games by myself.

Also, I'm not sure what drove you guys to AutoHotKeys, but for me it was my desire for autofire on the Apprentice. Is it just me, or can you do that by holding LMB and RMB simultaneously? I can't believe I didn't google up this answer before I arrived at AutoHotKeys a few weeks ago.
http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?39321-Apprentice-Adept-Auto-fire-mod-for-Ranked

I used AutoHotKeys for Apprentice auto-fire as well, the RMB and LMB auto-fire does not auto-half charge for you, so you will end up doing the lower end of your DPS, which makes AutoHotKey, or any malleable solution to account for charge stat differences, the best to maximize dps, unfortunately, it seems to have resulted in us getting banned.

From what I read, they did not incorporate the left, right button auto fire until recently. (correct me if I'm wrong) So auto keys were a way to prevent injury to my delicate guitar fingers. Once I was banned, I read about the holding both buttons and laughed. Though the auto key program allowed my monk to auto fire as well which was nice.

Lets be clear about VAC:

1. if its true and this isnt just 1 guy creating accounts to support his unban youll probably get unbanned after steam checks it
2. Dont think they are stupid and cant check if that autofire thing could trigger a VAC ban, they can.
3. In total, less than 0.01% VAC bans were revoked in the past and if you used cheats you wont get unbanned by lying, it simply doesnt happen with VAC

Strange. I'm still VAC banned, but I can get onto Trendy now. Still no response from Trendy or Steam, but I guess wheels are turning somewhere.

I think the AHK related banning may stem from abuse of AHK in MW3, where it sounds like it may be possible to negate the aiming disruption effects of recoil by having AHK register corrective mouse moves to offset recoil. Just conjecture, though. I neither play MW3 nor am I all that handy with AHK. This also isn't info from steam or trendy. Just an interesting and plausible perspective floated by a friend.

I'm all for regulating on cheats. Just wish I'd realized that AHK could be used for more nefarious purposes than just spamming keypresses. Guess that's my own bad.

Lets be clear about VAC:

1. if its true and this isnt just 1 guy creating accounts to support his unban youll probably get unbanned after steam checks it

No no wer're not, it saddens me to allways see that kind of repsonce when people are trying to get some answers or help. Just because we dont have many post that's your first assumption, nice. Real nice.

Well, steam account is Pietrius, display name Jovion, and if the others reveal their accounts you can tell it is not the same user.

Here's our Steam profiles :
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xenonchris

not going to give my wife’s account name (it's her email address) but here is her profile : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006674484/

As you can see her account has the VAC infraction on it currently (I thank fully have an Index finger of steel due to a misspent youth of CS 1.6 and hammering out those DE rounds :) so I didn’t use the auto fire script.)

And my profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961027059

As you can see, we are not the same person creating accounts to support our ban. It sucks to be wrongly accused and found guilty before innocent. Though this is exactly how it feels when trying to work with steam and trendy support. VAC needs an overhaul, the current system is broke. Cheaters get by the system easily as we see in this game and others while honest people get screwed over.

Well, anyone contacted steam support? They are the only who can help you with this, if its true and you got banned for that auto-fire thing then you should be successful with your unban I think. But itll be extremely hard - as you say - communicating with them is very very very unpleasant and they basically dont care about your ban that much (thats because more than 99% unban request are just lies). So I recommend co-operation but as Trendy already stated here: http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?47309-Cant-play-online-(ranked-trendynet)&p=349194&viewfull=1[[1167,hashtags]]
It doesnt trigger a VAC ban and without Trendys confirmation that its a mistake I dont think youll be successful. Theres a reason VAC bans are delayed - to check if its a positive catch and as Trendy knew (mentioned in dundefdigest) this wave of bans was coming I think they co-operated with steam in some way or another before these bans went live. And to repeat again - if you used something "illegal" dont even try lying to them. If its true and you used only that auto-fire, good luck resolving this issue.

Well, anyone contacted steam support? They are the only who can help you with this, if its true and you got banned for that auto-fire thing then you should be successful with your unban I think. But itll be extremely hard - as you say - communicating with them is very very very unpleasant and they basically dont care about your ban that much (thats because more than 99% unban request are just lies). So I recommend co-operation but as Trendy already stated here: http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?47309-Cant-play-online-(ranked-trendynet)&p=349194&viewfull=1[[1167,hashtags]]
It doesnt trigger a VAC ban and without Trendys confirmation that its a mistake I dont think youll be successful. Theres a reason VAC bans are delayed - to check if its a positive catch and as Trendy knew (mentioned in dundefdigest) this wave of bans was coming I think they co-operated with steam in some way or another before these bans went live. And to repeat again - if you used something "illegal" dont even try lying to them. If its true and you used only that auto-fire, good luck resolving this issue.

Thanks for your input. I have already opened a ticket with steam and trendy hoping that there is some coordination between the two companies to narrow down the reason behind the ban. Hopefully others have done the same thing so they can see that more than one user was affected, which further proves that this is a false positive.

As for lying, do you really think someone who hacks is going to try this hard to get an account unbanned? Especially when the game costs $2.99 on Amazon. If we were truly cheaters, we would just count this as a loss, tweak our cheating programs, and purchase a new copy (probably in bulk). As an honest player, I've invested over 60 hours into my characters and acquired many achievements. The time put into having this reversed is very much worth it.

My friend who used the autofire program got banned too. *Sigh*
VAC had ruined our fun when it banned someone who didn't deserve it. :/

So, bad news. My being able to get back onto Trendy last night was a fluke. I did manage to copy my toons to local...at the cost of my poor 32 hunter who just barely beat the ancient dragon on medium in an epic battle. RIP (exporting from open to local overwrites local)

Anyways, my second response from Steam basically says that they're deeming the ban legit. The response spent more time talking about account security, which should've had nothing to do with this ban. I outright acknowledged my use of the AHK script and even provided a link to (http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?5531-Auto-Fire-Script-for-Dungeon-Defenders-PC-Version). Not a hack in my view, but I can see why it'd be misconstrued.

At any rate, I'm asking for one more response from Steam about whether or not they're lumping button spamming scripts in with cheats.

My friend who used the autofire program got banned too. *Sigh*
VAC had ruined our fun when it banned someone who didn't deserve it. :/

Bump for unjust VAC ban on friends... Auto hot key? Seriously?

If this is indeed true, and my ticket with steam gets the same response, I say we get the pitchforks ready. Steam would rather ban honest customers than admit their awesome 100% accurate VAC system made a mistake. This has tainted my 10 year loyalty to the company.

Looks like Steam removed the VAC bans. Everyone who used AHK, check and make sure you are unbanned. If not, I would suggest creating a ticket with Steam so they can look into this. Thanks all for speaking up and getting Steam to recognize this was a false positive!

Looks like Steam removed the VAC bans. Everyone who used AHK, check and make sure you are unbanned. If not, I would suggest creating a ticket with Steam so they can look into this. Thanks all for speaking up and getting Steam to recognize this was a false positive!

Looks that way to me as well. I can get online in DD, and no mention of vac on my steam profile. http://www.vacbanned.com claims to have checked my account just now and still sees me as banned, but maybe that site works off of stale data.

Cracks me up though that the third response I got from steam is:

[quote]
6 Message by Support Tech Bret on Thu, 23rd Feb 2012 9:24 am
Hello Ken,

The ban is permanent and cannot be removed.

We cannot assist you any further with this issue.
[/quote]

I don't know if that's funny or sad.