If you won't fix harpoons...

That was my point. You dismissed his claim of afking out of hand without considering what was actually neccesary.

And yes, I did read the entire thread. Yes, I do use squire almost exclusively atm. I may not be able to get past wave 20 misty yet, but I do use them in misty survival. Yes, the build I'm currently using incorporates a significant number of traps (prox, gas and darkness), so mixing and matching is not imposible (you do it with snares, why not traps). Triple starred proxies with ~900 TH have over 200 detonations, which if they go off every 2 seconds, is over 6 minutes without needing repairs (give them a quick topup when you check on cades, and you never have any problems).

Just a small example
Was moving. Movement stopped, harps killed it = Bad placement.

Yes, the hitbox of smaller monsters needs work. Yes, it'd be nice if they made the "focus" speed a bit quicker (especially vertical). But I have not noticed recently (ie. since they stopped staring) them not being able to hit a monster only moving along the harps z-axis.

AFK'ing campaign is hardly relevant, you can get to wave 10 misty with just walls, it's after that where anything is relevant.
And harpoons missing a moving goblin is not bad placement, you've seen the screenshots. A harpoon through the dead center of a forehead is not a miss. And obviously I'm not using EXCLUSIVLY harpoons, I have ~1 harpoon for spawn, including air. I'm using UTILITY traps, and UTILITY auras, to add a proxy I'd have to drop the utility which is pretty important. Getting to wave 20 with decent stats isn't really impressive, considering before they attempted to improve harpoons, the same gear probably could have got you to 25+, maybe even 30.

What, they do plenty and do more than just damage. A proxy under a group of harpoons is excellent for stopping spiders. You can build towers on TOP of the traps. That's very useful.

Idk how many points you have in trap damage, but traps don't get bonus damage in nightmare like towers do, and the damage is below what apprentice towers do. (Perhaps I somehow have a bugged client that is causing my traps to be weaker, but somehow I doubt that)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only problem i have with harpoons, aren't the hitboxes, because my harpoons aims at where the target are when it shoots, and not where the target will be when it hits... means it constantly shoots behind the targets, and never hits...

Kobold hitboxes are too small, and harpoons consistently sail through their heads. A larger hitbox OR lowering the aim point on Kobolds would fix this very common issue.

And with spider spawns all over, harpoons are ineffective because even if you have a bouncer under a spider spawn, the harpoon will flail wildly up and then down to try to shoot it. All the while NOT shooting at the walls it is meant to be supporting. This wouldn't be such a big deal if in later survival, spiders didn't rain down pretty much everywhere you might have to point a harpoon. Misty is one of the only maps where its NOT an issue due to the spider spawns being neatly tucked away in safer areas and not right on top of crystals (well on top of that one technically, but its the one that can't be reached by enemies anyway without another crystal dying first)

Why to make squire towers even more over powered when comparing to apprentice? Shouldn't them rise apprentice damage?

Why to make squire towers even more over powered when comparing to apprentice? Shouldn't them rise apprentice damage?

Squire towers are already over powered compared to apprentice, the point is harpoons are broken. I agree apprentice should be buffed, and huntress traps... but that isn't the point of this thread.

Yes of course i understood that its not the point of thread. And as i said, squire towers are OPd comparing to apprentice. And are you sure that they are broken? Maybe its meant so. They make more dmg but their not hitting that well?

Yes of course i understood that its not the point of thread. And as i said, squire towers are OPd comparing to apprentice. And are you sure that they are broken? Maybe its meant so. They make more dmg but their not hitting that well?

How can it be intentional that they don't hit stuff they clearly shoot through the for heads? This whole issue originally started when they tried to improve the AI of harpoons. They tried a few different fixes until finally just vanishing from the forums. (almost 2 weeks ago now?)

• 3 weeks later...
How can it be intentional that they don't hit stuff they clearly shoot through the for heads? This whole issue originally started when they tried to improve the AI of harpoons. They tried a few different fixes until finally just vanishing from the forums. (almost 2 weeks ago now?)

Any new news, now with the (semi) latest update of 7.20?
* Harpoon Turrets now incorporate target leading into their aiming, making them MUCH more effective against Wyverns and also fast-moving enemies

So, do they now lock on faster, but still miss, or are they hitting the small ones better? I honestly have not used my Squire for building much, until I recently started to do Survival / Pure Strat for pet collection purposes. One thing I noticed on Deeper Well was that if the harp is too far to the side of the stairs (both left and right), the harp gets caught up in the railing. Dumb.

I have been in Nightmare Deeper Wells and watched as no less than 3 harpoons on the top level, panned so that only the top aisle was in their targetting spectrum, went right through the chest of mobs over and over as the mobs walked up, smashed the blockade, and continued on their way to the crystal. I have seen the same set up but with the harpoons' targetting spectrum panned into the center while maintaining the lane do eactly the same thing. Not sure how there is a more appropriate use of the weapon than in a straight line, on level ground.

I think the point of not having enough DU resulting in holes in your defenses is to play up the action-RPG aspect of the game. You'll have to cover those holes PERSONALLY or have someone specced for DPS cover those holes.

I honestly don't mind if harpoons miss or the enemy mobs have an inflatable forehead thats immune to harpoon damage or whatever. Harpoons are such a strong tower that a few bugs with them are needed or else there would really be no point to anything else for damage. There is barely a point right now.

Szyygy, I understand your point, but that is not at all possible in Pure Strategy mode. That is why it is a valid issue.

Myster2, then I can assume you don't play Pure Strategy. During a wave in Pure Strat, you cannot repair, you can only upgrade. When a mob stands in front of a blockade and pummels it while that same mob is being bombarded with no less than 3 harpoons at a time, it is a problem.

In a wave with 6000+ mobs, you have to tear down defenses at the end of each wave and rebuild them so that you can upgrade them during the wave. Then, you wait until the defense is nearly destroyed before you upgrade it since you cannot repair during the wave. Now, if those harpoons actually caused damage to the mobs as over 100 of them went through the mob's chest, it would not be a problem. I am not talking about a side-to-side tracking issue, the mob is standing in front of your blockade, beating them down while taking no damage.

That is a problem whether you mind it or not.