The Presidents' Day Battle Royale is live! (Plus Mac news!)

Fortunately for you, such an excuse is available. Clearly if it were up to you you'd still be unable to make one better. Got any suggestions on this forum about a new "better" (according to you) DLC? You know all the upcoming holidays. You can suggest ideas. Have you? You're unsatisfied with how they do it but don't make any attempt to express what you expect other than "This sucks."

Trendy is also not obligated to make DLC that appeals to YOU, or anyone else for that matter. While it might be in their best interest to, it's free DLC. It could be the worst POS map in the world and they're still doing it free.

Your arms won't fall off it you admit the DLC is flawed, I can promise you that.

And saying "It's FREE DLC!!!!" doesn't work either, after the event is over, they're going to start charging for it, so that excuse doesn't work. They should be making all the DLC with the mindset of "People are eventually going to be forced to buy this if they want to play it, so we have to make it as good as possible so that we get a lot of money". Nothing in this game is free, none of the DLC, none of the bonuses, they all require us to buy something else, then the "free DLC" is an added bonus. For example, all the "Free" holiday DLC requires us to buy the game, and download it while it's free. If we miss out on it, then we have to later go and buy it (for example, I had to buy all the Halloween DLC, because I wasn't playing during the time it was free). I don't mind giving Trendy my money (well, that's rapidly changing) if they can provide me with fun things to do, instead of stuff that forces you to play an extremely unbalanced PvP map, with rewards based on three of the people I despise the most. They clearly aren't making these maps with the community in mind, they're just doing what they think could be interesting, put no effort into planning the maps out, then releasing them to the public.

Imo, they should have a thread up every time they're planning some sort of "Free" DLC, explaining the concept of the challenge, and asking for opinions/suggestions on how to make it a fun and enjoyable experience. Had they told us what today's update was going to contain in advance, they would have seen all the negative responses before it was too late to change anything. They could have made this map into something that everyone loved, not something a majority hate.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you make a better DLC? Probably not. The DDDK is available. Go make something out of it and present it to Trendy and if it's good enough (lol.) then it may get included in the game.

So what you're saying is that movie critics can't give their opinions on movies because they can't do any better?

So what you're saying is that movie critics can't give their opinions on movies because they can't do any better?

Honestly, no. Only people with the experience of doing it should criticize to the degree of "this utterly sucks." Constructive criticism is one thing. "This thing blows, jump ship" is another.

But, what movie critics can do is constructive criticism and be fair.

edit: worth mentioning, movie critics that say "this is my opinion", they are free to say whatever they want. If they say "This movie IS garbage" that is when they are just being stupid and can be ignored. It's all opinion. Preface your hateful posts with "My opinion is this DLC sucks" and you'll get better responses to your posts.

I love how you're following the typical fanboy response of "let's see you do it better". Your arms won't fall off it you admit the DLC is flawed, I can promise you that.

And saying "It's FREE DLC!!!!" doesn't work either, after the event is over, they're going to start charging for it, so that excuse doesn't work. They should be making all the DLC with the mindset of "People are eventually going to be forced to buy this if they want to play it, so we have to make it as good as possible so that we get a lot of money". Nothing in this game is free, none of the DLC, none of the bonuses, they all require us to buy something else, then the "free DLC" is an added bonus. For example, all the "Free" holiday DLC requires us to buy the game, and download it while it's free. If we miss out on it, then we have to later go and buy it (for example, I had to buy all the Halloween DLC, because I wasn't playing during the time it was free). I don't mind giving Trendy my money (well, that's rapidly changing) if they can provide me with fun things to do, instead of stuff that forces you to play an extremely unbalanced PvP map, with rewards based on three of the people I despise the most. They clearly aren't making these maps with the community in mind, they're just doing what they think could be interesting, put no effort into planning the maps out, then releasing them to the public.

Imo, they should have a thread up every time they're planning some sort of "Free" DLC, explaining the concept of the challenge, and asking for opinions/suggestions on how to make it a fun and enjoyable experience. Had they told us what today's update was going to contain in advance, they would have seen all the negative responses before it was too late to change anything. They could have made this map into something that everyone loved, not something a majority hate.

No, all the holiday DLC is flawed. I never said this DLC was perfect.

Honestly, no. Only people with the experience of doing it should criticize to the degree of "this utterly sucks." Constructive criticism is one thing. "This thing blows, jump ship" is another.

But, what movie critics can do is constructive criticism and be fair.

But that's not what you said or implied. Regardless of what kind of criticism the DLCs receive (constructive or otherwise), nothing seems to change. I wasn't here for the release of Turkey Hunt/Spooktacular, but Holiday Extraviganza received no adjustments and Sky of Love only got a DU increase. None of the legitimate complaints about Sky of Love were addressed.

Why bother being helpful and constructive if it doesn't feel like it does any good? At least venting will make you feel better.

You called me a fanboy like all the other retarded ignorants do, so this is the only comment I'll respond to. Explain how to make it so that everyone loves it. Please, give us examples of your expert being.

1. I herd u liek double negatives, so I got all negative about your double negative so you can be negative while I'm negative.

2. While I'm not the person in question, there are many things that need to be done to the current DLC.

A. Increase loot quality of previous DLC to match current DLC (max 254^)

B. Fix GLARING issues with previous DLC (nightmare turkey is impossible to finish due to glitch, warping core DLC has no fairy reward)

C. Allow interracial matching on Sky o' Love.

D. Lower max points needed to win Battle Royale, or award points differently. (5 points per player kill, 1 point per random mob kill, 10 points lost per death via boss)

I really don't understand all the complaints... First, you all complain about how awful the costumes are, then you complain about how hard it is to get them. Ok, so there is some room for improvement, but the point is it's different that what you're used to and it's completely different from other pvp.

Also, for those of you complaining about it being pvp, tell me how a presidential royal rumble could be handled with co-operative tower defense? It's a free DLC, take it or leave it. Period. Yeah it's not eternia shards part 2, but that doesn't mean that it's taking away from that DLC, it's just something fun and different that they decided to do. It probably took them like an hour to program and their artists probably spent a lot of time on it, but with all the bugs they've been fixing (and creating) it seems like the artists are probably being held back by the coders and devs so no loss there.

They didn't have to do this, they could have just let presidents day come and go, but they wanted to do something extra and different. This is like if someone gave you a gift on presidents day and you *****ed [female dogged] at them cause it was a Jc-penny's gift card, yeah it's not that great, but it's still something, which is better than nothing!

so for MONTHS people have been wanting a BOSS gauntlet map... trendy answeres with a ring screenshot.. and says something epic is comming.. and another lame *** PvP in a tiny area... where you cant even fight the boss... i hate to say it but even "my" pride in DD is starting to falter as of late.

so for MONTHS people have been wanting a BOSS gauntlet map... trendy answeres with a ring screenshot.. and says something epic is comming.. and another lame *** PvP in a tiny area... where you cant even fight the boss... i hate to say it but even "my" pride in DD is starting to falter as of late.

Jeremy responded in another thread saying that this is NOT the boss gauntlet map they have in the works.

Well I'm happy that Trendy is putting out content there's a couple issues (for me) that have come up. And keep in mind people, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's right or wrong. This discussion is here to help make the game better, so put your pride aside and focus on improving it.

- I am an American, and for the most part proud to be one. But with the recent events of our country mainly due to government, I have to reason to 'celebrate' our presidents, especially our current one. (Do not turn this into a politics conversation). Having said that, I would think with a game that is 'worldly' played, it would have been nice to keep the games relatively 'neutral'. SUGGESTION: Instead of having the actual skins, they should have just done the 'general' presidents. IE Washington, Lincoln, etc... or even kept it more simple, just wigs and old clothes like the presidents.

- For the map itself, it is way too close especially for the amount of AOE that the boss puts out. There's been a few times where I've been pinned in the corner and can't do anything about it, and with the scoring system of -1 point per death, I've lost up to 5 points just spawning. SUGGESTION: Only get -1 points from dying from another player, not from monsters. Or get rid of it all together. And make the map a little bit bigger.

- This map is really easy to "Cheat" cause all you have to do is have a friend come in and have him stand there and you kill him over and over again like any of the other PVP maps. SUGGESTION: For now, I don't know if there's any way to avoid this or prevent it. Maybe that's one reason the rewards are nice, but not 'great'.

- Trendy Dev's or Mod's - Are the DLC's tested at all by any 'normal' players and critiqued till approved?

- Trendy Dev's or Mod's - Are the DLC's tested at all by any 'normal' players and critiqued till approved?

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that they do not test at all, or if they do the testers are outsourced from a mental care facility, or possibly by sheer luck they found a group entirely composed of grumpy *********.

EDIT : Really? ********* is filtered? Masochism, maybe?

Yes they are being tested.

Read my post, page 1 post 5, in response to your other post. I've already suggested how they could make this challenge better.

1. I herd u liek double negatives, so I got all negative about your double negative so you can be negative while I'm negative.

2. While I'm not the person in question, there are many things that need to be done to the current DLC.

A. Increase loot quality of previous DLC to match current DLC (max 254^)

B. Fix GLARING issues with previous DLC (nightmare turkey is impossible to finish due to glitch, warping core DLC has no fairy reward)

C. Allow interracial matching on Sky o' Love.

D. Lower max points needed to win Battle Royale, or award points differently. (5 points per player kill, 1 point per random mob kill, 10 points lost per death via boss)

Where are these suggestions at? Other than buried in this thread.
C is unrealistic. It'd make the map far too easy.
D can still be done. The DLC only just came out.

Really? Could have fooled me on that one. Because it seems to me, if this was tested, they'd have been able to identify the issues that have been put forward already almost immediately. The fact that hackers will make having fun with this map difficult. The length of the map itself, especially on Nightmare, being longer that it really aught to be. Also, that playing privately isn't that much better, since those without friends can't play and those with will just take it in turns idling and taking it in turns to get the rewards. The map is through and through utterly pointless and any amount of REAL testing would have made this apparent very quickly.

Where are these suggestions at? Other than buried in this thread.
C is unrealistic. It'd make the map far too easy.
D can still be done. The DLC only just came out.

Your answer to C is assuming they didn't increase the match number required. As easier matches would mean faster matches, I wouldn't be surprised if the number needed each wave was increased as well. One of my major issues with Sky O' Love is the frustration of bringing 1~5 of one gender over to the other side, and sit there waiting for the opposite to arrive. When they do, you find it's not even a match for your hats/bows in tow.

Honestly, having it take 1~2 hours to finish due to the sheer difficulty of getting matches is ridiculous.

As for your question, a quick search lead me that my post was at http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?46708-Detailed-Challenges-Feedback

Your answer to C is assuming they didn't increase the match number required. As easier matches would mean faster matches, I wouldn't be surprised if the number needed each wave was increased as well. One of my major issues with Sky O' Love is the frustration of bringing 1~5 of one gender over to the other side, and sit there waiting for the opposite to arrive. When they do, you find it's not even a match for your hats/bows in tow.

Honestly, having it take 1~2 hours to finish due to the sheer difficulty of getting matches is ridiculous.

As for your question, a quick search lead me that my post was at http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?46708-Detailed-Challenges-Feedback

4 days later and you're complaining that all/some of your changes aren't implemented yet? ;/ be realistic. Not to mention it only has one reply. More support = more likely to be dealt with.

4 days later and you're complaining that all/some of your changes aren't implemented yet? ;/ be realistic. Not to mention it only has one reply. More support = more likely to be dealt with.

... Damn, you're so good at reading between the lines that you're reading things that haven't even been said. I don't recall having once complained that my changes haven't happened. More to the point, they're merely my opinion. I'm not the game developer, I'm just a player, and they're just my opinions.

To be honest, I'd be quite surprised if any of them DID happen. I'm more of hoping that I'd bring attention to things that I feel should be changed, and suggesting what input I have. If they changed how I feel they should, in some way, great. If not, I hope they'd be changed anyway, but again if they don't... Not surprising.

It's in the "Suggestion" subforum for a reason. It's a suggestion, not a demand. And the complaining I did previously? That's just from the frustration of having a second DLC in a row that rather than adding to the game I love to play, is detracting from it.

Now, you may argue that additional content is additional content, but I'm a bit of an explorer, a perfectionist. I have a compulsion to do anything I can at least once. This irks me, when the content is not only impossible to complete solo, but quite improbable and frustrating to do in a team.

And it's not for sheer difficulty, lack of skill or strategy... Nay, it's from poor construction of the DLC. Poor planning on the development end. I'm not saying these DLC's are entirely broken, I'm saying that until they're mended I highly doubt I'll bother with something that will take in excess of an hour, that I don't ENJOY.

And it's more than that. It's not just that I don't enjoy it because it's not my thing. By design, inspecting and analyzing it, I can't see ANYONE who'd honestly enjoy them. These last two DLC's. And it's not because they're poorly made. If they were tweaked, I could see them being quite fun. But barring masochism-ists (Silly word, but the real one is filtered apparently) I can't honestly see anyone who can enjoy either.

That being said, and I know I'm ranting quite a fair bit... If you'd note, indirectly, they've actually taken a piece of my advice. Granted, I doubt it's because of my suggestion, but still. This pvp arena they've added.... Has no DU. I don't have to worry about overpowered towers. Awesome. Unfortunately, the rest of the issues with the map make it a hour or more of sheer frustration just to finish it once.

You mistakenly confuse me with someone who enjoys all these DLCs. In all of my posts regarding these DLCs, never once do I say any of them are GOOD. I know my likings are not the same as everyone else, so me saying I like something doesn't make it good. I particularly did not enjoy this map after the first few times, and the nightmare attempt was an utter bore, but on easy it was a bit fun. The only holiday DLC I have actually liked and is actually GOOD, is the Halloween one.

And here I thought nothing could trump the Valentines Day Event.

The only reason I have the costumes and such is because I joined a game where the host had 3 of his characters on and would let you win on Easy. Otherwise, I'd have never touched this map after trying to play it with me and a friend only on Hard, 60 points? Hell no, you gain points as fast as you lose them with the Demon Lord constantly using his Trail of Fire, or landing on top of you with a sword strike just so inconveniently timed. We quit when my friend had 20 points and we were only getting killed by the Demon Lord.

If there only was a way you could temporarily "kill" the Demon Lord, give him a set number of HP, and when that HP is depleted, he flies out of the ring for a period of time (About a minute or so?) unable to do anything, then he comes back when that time expires and has just a LITTLE more HP.

I figured this pertained to the Presidents' Day DLC:

Culled from the 7.18 patch notes:
* Battle Royale: 2 points awarded for Player kills, 1 point loss for death-by-monster. Made Demon in this map only attack 60% as often. Reduced number of kills required for Insane and NM victories.
* Increased PvP Players HP by NM multiplier on all difficulties

You mistakenly confuse me with someone who enjoys all these DLCs. In all of my posts regarding these DLCs, never once do I say any of them are GOOD.

>.o Y'know, nevermind. Again, you're reading more into what I'm saying than what's actually said. Which is surprising, considering how much I say. Re-read what you said, then re-read what I said, if you really care. I'm finding that care being sapped away, personally. Specifically, read what I quoted from you.

Am I suggesting that you enjoy these DLC's? No. Did I say that you thought they were good? No. Am I saying ANYTHING about you? Aside from telling you that you're reading to much into what I'm saying, No. The only comment I made that's anything at all similar to what you're suggesting is this line here. "Now, you may argue that additional content is additional content..."

Is that me saying I think you enjoy them? No. That's me saying that you MAY (see : Not WILL) decide that more content is always good. Personally, I agree with that notion myself, assuming that said content is remotely fun, or in the least not long and frustrating.

Anywho, that's all I'll say on this matter, conversing further really should be taken to PM seeing as we're sort of getting off-track, and unless you stop interpreting things that aren't inferred, when I would much rather prefer being taken at face value... Well, taking it to PM would be meaningless because you'd assume further things I'm neither saying nor suggesting between-the-lines.

Hiya! Just wanted to respond to a quote in a locked thread and it was posted to "keep in the official thread". So here we go.

This is just a little bonus for people to have fun with. Did you really expect something big and elaborate less than a week after the last event DLC?

What do we do when the company keeps releasing non fun maps? It seems all you want us to do is twiddle our thumbs when they do and just wait for the content we preoredered while they release such "free" dlc with horrendous playstyle ideas.

[quote]
I mean, I know where you're coming from here, but this isn't intended to be a meaty piece of content.

To say you'd never buy another product from them just because they made a DLC map that isn't to your taste is more than a little bit silly. You don't have to play the DLC if you don't want to.
[/quote]

Oh, I guess I'll just keep playing and ignoring the DLC then. With such emphasis on achievements/trophies in today's gaming culture, I surely can just sit back and ignore the new ones that have popped up that I shouldn't try to get even though I worked quite hard on getting the rest of them. What's a few grayed out tiles right?

It seems with this sort of ideology, the "you don't have to play if you don't like it", seems like reverse bullying. And as Dax pointed out when posted about leaving this game due to the practices the company has done to its playerbase, I'd rather not be paid to be treated like a fool.

[quote]
Try this 15 minute experiment:

1. Log on with a normal character.
2. Start a PVP game (not the new DLC).
3 invite and have some fun with friends, and make the match private.
4. Enjoy a hacker-free game.
[/quote]

1. done.
2. I thought this was tower defense, but okay.
3. I hit a snag here. Most of my friends left since they hated being treated like the way trendy has been treating its playerbase. I could go find new ones I guess. Checking groups... Asking if anyone wants to play pvp...oh a couple said they would! yay!
4. whoops they one shotted me with hacker weapons. I guess I should start back from 1.

[quote]
There is plenty of pure, plain tower defense content coming in the future. This map is simply a diversion, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

If these are the kinds of "diversions" that trendy deems feasible to "treat" us with, I'd rather they keep it. I preordered 3 more map packs. I can wait for the ones that cost money that I HOPE will be quality.

Please don't hide under the "Free" banner to release ****ty content. That's just despicable behavior and I know you guys know better than that.

In the meantime, instead of working on subpar (which is using the term loosely by the way) "free" maps, take the time you would have spent with your limited employee count and listen to the players strong willed enough to come here and suggest a better playing experience for your future customers. That is if your current customers haven't spread enough bad word-of-mouth about your company that you'll still have them.

tl;dr
- Quit posting crappy "free" maps.
- Since you have all that free time if you did the above, come to the forums, stay, read and listen for longer than 20 min. Patch the game accordingly and accurately report it.
- quite nerfing things in huge chunks. That's not how balance works.
- work on the quality maps we paid for.

Last thing:
- This map was and still is an insult.

Oh by the way. I have only posted 2 posts ever hating on the company for treating us like this. I have usually posted helpful posts helping players with their game. Just wanted to note that.

If Jeremy, Pmasher, or any of the devs want to contact me let me know. I can PM an email or skype if you like. I'd be more than happy to discuss this game over the phone in a nice civil manner.

k.

No pleasing everyone. If Trendy didn't do any holiday DLC they'd be yelled at for not doing anything. With them doing holiday DLC, they're yelled at for not making it good enough for people. I must be part of the few that sees that. It's the only reason I don't sit here and cry about the minor things. The holiday DLC are just random fun stuff to keep people occupied while waiting for the shard releases. People seem to think that these maps take weeks to make. If you'll notice, you'll see that much of these maps are just remakes. I think vday was the only new one? Same goes for all the pvp maps. All remakes. Take them for what they're worth. Free maps. Enjoy them if you can. If you can't, then let them go. The rewards and costumes are only fun. None are required to progress and none force you to play. I thought pday was a bit more fun than others, but still not there yet. Halloween is the bar and it hasn't been met again. I eagerly await one of its caliber, but until that day comes I'm not going to whine about them in a nonconstructive manner. Gets no where.