New PC DD wiki in development, and it could use some help from you guys!

There's currently a new PC dedicated Dungeon Defenders wiki in development, and it could use the help of some of you here on the forums! If you've ever contributed a guide that was stickied, added information to other wikis, or if you have a great tutorial, then your contributions to the wiki would be very helpful!

The purpose for this wiki existing is due to the confusing information in the official Wikia, as well as many locked pages that are littered about. Much of the information might not be up to date, and might include data from other versions of the game without being perfectly clear that it's not up to date. Eventually pages will become locked when the data cannot be improved upon to protect from vandalism, but the Wiki will always be under constant updating every patch.

-If you have no experience with editing a wiki and you don't have any information to add, then you can still help! Submit suggestions in the talk/discussion pages on the wiki! Someone on the team will put it to good use if it's acceptable!

-Only the most important pages are locked. Everything can be edited to include the most up to date information!

-Formatting will be done later on to ensure a consistent design to the wiki if you submit information that isn't already formatted.

Current list of top priority things:

Wiki Templates (if you're familiar with them)
Filling in empty pages
Guides
Artwork
Screenshots!

Since the Wiki is dedicated to the PC version (sorry, 360, PS3, and mobile users!), that means that all information that is submitted must reflect anything on the PC version accurately. Do not make revisions that include things from the other versions of the game!

Send me a PM if you have a lot of knowledge regarding Wiki formatting and would like to contribute something serious to the website. Otherwise, feel free to register and contribute anything you can!

http://wiki.lostshards.com/index.php/Main_Page

Such a quick response! Any kind of publicity would be greatly appreciated :)

The wiki is by no means complete, so if anyone feels like something very important is missing (especially from the main page), shoot me a message since the page is locked from non-admins.

Good luck keeping it up do date...

Many of the patch notes I have looked at (and I gave up after a point) are riddled with inaccuracies, are missing information, and have a history of stealth changes. When the devs can't even keep track of their own changes...how will the user community do at documenting it?

Good luck keeping it up do date...

Many of the patch notes I have looked at (and I gave up after a point) are riddled with inaccuracies, are missing information, and have a history of stealth changes. When the devs can't even keep track of their own changes...how will the user community do at documenting it?

Perhaps in the future there will be more transparency and more documented changes. It'll take some work to manage what changes accurately, but with enough hands on deck, it shouldn't be a big problem.

A lot of the stuff on the DD wikia is outdated simply due to locked pages as well, so hopefully the information on this wiki will be more up to date and will take into consideration stealth fixes.

Also keeping different platforms seperate will help a lot, because a lot of parameters are different even though some of the content is the same.

Why not just promote and contribute to Dungeon Defenders Wikia? It has been in development for a year or so, with increased activity since Oct '11. You are clearly aware of it, since http://wiki.lostshards.com/index.php/Achievements has been 100% copied (content and images) from http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements_-_PC, along with all the individual achievement pages so far.

To address some of your claims against Wikia...
[quote]Much of the information might not be up to date, and might include data from other versions of the game without being perfectly clear that it's not up to date.[/quote]
With the exception of the mobile platform, all info I have found is current. When a new patch drops, almost all related pages are updated that same day. If you somehow manage to find something incorrect, nothing prevents you from updating it. It is much easier than starting from scratch.

[quote]A lot of the stuff on the DD wikia is outdated simply due to locked pages as well.[/quote]
Some pages are locked to anonymous users. There is nothing preventing someone from registering an account and editing to their heart's content.

[quote]Also keeping different platforms seperate [sic] will help a lot[/quote]
Any time there are differences between PC, console, and mobile, they are spelled out clearly on Wikia.

Now to raise a new point...

Copyright
As long as any content from Wikia remains on your site--even content that has been modified--please provide an attribution link to Wikia on every page that has been copied, even in part, in accord with the CC-BY-SA license. (See also Licensing[[1161,hashtags]]) Refusing to attribute the content to Wikia is copyright infringement.

I hope this doesn't come across as adversarial. As one gamer to another, I appreciate the OP's desire to share information about a game he loves. That's the same reason I'm a contributor on the DD Wikia. It's my belief that working together will accomplish more than starting a new wiki.

well i looked and the first thing that is wrong is it says there are 5 armor sets. there are actually 6 good sir. Zamira must be included!

actually the current wiki could have been used. just had to add _PC or some such tag in the name of the page.

i don't really understand why there needs to be a second wiki? i like the cleaner look, but now i'm torn between whether to contribute to the wikia or to this one.

With the exception of the mobile platform, all info I have found is current. When a new patch drops, almost all related pages are updated that same day. If you somehow manage to find something incorrect, nothing prevents you from updating it. It is much easier than starting from scratch.

Are up to date but the linking to them are slacking. The tabs at the top, when I pick challenges, last 2 things I see are Turkey Hunt and UMF. So for some people who don't search they won't be able to find these pages unless added to the tabs up top.

Copyright
As long as any content from Wikia remains on your site--even content that has been modified--please provide an attribution link to Wikia on every page that has been copied, even in part, in accord with the CC-BY-SA license. (See also Licensing[[1161,hashtags]]) Refusing to attribute the content to Wikia is copyright infringement.

I hope this doesn't come across as adversarial. As one gamer to another, I appreciate the OP's desire to share information about a game he loves. That's the same reason I'm a contributor on the DD Wikia. It's my belief that working together will accomplish more than starting a new wiki.

You bring up a good point on the Copyright, and I'll be sure to get a template up that links to that page in case anything isn't public domain on the wikis. Again, the site is pretty fresh, and a lot of work still needs to go in it. I monitor for accuracy and vandalism, but copyright will be the next thing on my list (and it's hard to tell if the author of the copied page imported the works himself).

As far as images being copied, Steam hosts achievement images that can be used (Steam Community Media example). Many of our images and textures are pulled from files that Pmasher himself provided, or through the DDDK (such as the character/monster icons, with edited borders and transparencies), Dun Def Digest, or player screenshots.

I'm not the host or owner of the Wiki, only an admin trying to spread the word, so the site will remain functioning using mediawiki. I'm sure there will be people contributing to both the wiki and wikia if they wish. There was just a desire for a wiki that was ad-free, simplistic, and updated/dedicated for 1 platform for now, so it was made.

You bring up a good point on the Copyright, and I'll be sure to get a template up that links to that page in case anything isn't public domain on the wikis. Again, the site is pretty fresh, and a lot of work still needs to go in it. I monitor for accuracy and vandalism, but copyright will be the next thing on my list (and it's hard to tell if the author of the copied page imported the works himself).

As far as images being copied, Steam hosts achievement images that can be used (Steam Community Media example). Many of our images and textures are pulled from files that Pmasher himself provided, or through the DDDK (such as the character/monster icons, with edited borders and transparencies), Dun Def Digest, or player screenshots.

I'm not the host or owner of the Wiki, only an admin trying to spread the word, so the site will remain functioning using mediawiki. I'm sure there will be people contributing to both the wiki and wikia if they wish. There was just a desire for a wiki that was ad-free, simplistic, and updated/dedicated for 1 platform for now, so it was made.

Anything on the wikia was uploaded by me or other users. you are free to use pretty much anything on there

Yeah unfortunately there is only three or four real dedicated editors. So we've been trying really hard to keep everything up to date. That includes being more clear on which platform things are for, but we're getting there. All familiars on the Familiars page have console versions, challenges are all sorted by platform, and now the weapons are our next area to work on. We also have tons and tons of guides on the Wikia which most are all classified by console. Link to that wiki is in sig. Also we are working on a contest where it will be split into two categories one for PC users and one for Console. There are some great prizes and the feedback for the idea has been great.

I can help here and there. I want a correct wiki about this game!

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to make new pages. But I'll still help on the others.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to make new pages. But I'll still help on the others.

If you have a new page in mind, just type the title you want into the search bar. Above any results it may find, there will be a prompt to create that page linked in red. :)

If you want to add links to that page elsewhere, just put '[['s around the page title while editing, like [[New Page]] .

I suppose I'll correct any spelling/grammar errors and/or reword things when I see things like that.