Console Patch Notes (Updated 10/24/12) and Console DLC Q&A

The PSN US and XBLA versions of Shards IV and patch have been submitted to the appropriate console companies! We'll keep you updated as we hear more.

Patch 3 for PSN US/PSN EU (PSN US out now; PSN EU TBD)

- Insane+ difficulty mode
- New Level Cap: 90!
- PS3 freezing issues (including the DLC freezing issues) resolved

------------------------------------

Patch 2 for XBLA (Out Now!)

- Insane+ difficulty mode
- New Level Cap: 90!

Patch 2 for PSN US/PSN EU

- Dundef_spider mismatch error fixed
- Increased level cap to 83
- Added additional hooks for Shards 3 to help streamline the process of releasing the DLC

Patch 1 for XBLA/PSN US/PSN EU

Feast your eyes on the console patch notes!

PS3 and Xbox 360:
- Tower Attack Rate scaling improved to PC specifications
- Pet Attack Rate scaling improved to PC specifications
- Giraffes are now awarded at Wave 25 and survival stability is also correspondingly improved
- Mistymire weapons now have their appropriate artwork and will save on your hero. (Which means Mistymire reward weapons should not disappear!) Added DLC 2 (Desert Town) weapons/pet as well for that upcoming release. (There's a technical issue with the Mistymire pet, so we're unable to bring that to you. Sorry about that!)
- Raised Level Cap to 78 and added higher-quality items as a result
- Fixed last-minute hero-swapping bug
- Fixed Treasure Hunt skipping issue
- Fixed a potential save corruption case (We never reproduced it here in the office, so this potential fix is mostly guesswork.)
- Fixed bandwidth issue with projectile towers that will also resolve various online latency issues (weapons not appearing, invisible enemies, etc.)
- Squire Towers are a bit less damaging
- You can now have spaces in hero names from the initial Create Hero UI
- Fixed Obedience Training accomplishment to include certain extra Pet variants
- Made Achievements/Trophies attempt to unlock at regular intervals when the Accomplishments are checked (catches any cases where the Achievement or Trophy was not awarded at the time)
- Non-DLC players should no longer have trouble joining DLC Taverns
- Increased the Hero Cap value of all Stats (except for Run Speed) from 70 to 120
- Increased the Mana Cap to 200 million and added four extra item pages to the forge
- Fixed armor stat bug
- Fixed mana exploit

Xbox 360:
- Fixed tavern unlock glitch

PS3:
- Left Analog stick fix
- Added French, Italian, German, Spanish localization for DLCs
- Fixed case where owners of PS Plus exclusive DLC (Monkey & other Pets) may not have been able to connect sometimes online with other players

Note from Jeremy: Sorry about the not-earning-Trophies-on-secondary accounts. We wanted to do this for the original game and originally had it like that, but it was a Sony Technical Requirement for Certification that such functionality be disabled.

-----------------------------------------

Console DLC

When we were making Dungeon Defenders, we knew we wanted to make DLC. At the same time, we couldnt afford to pretend Dungeon Defenders was going to be Minecraft (or hell, even Magicka) when it released. We couldnt dedicate our small tech team (3 people!) to spend a large chunk of precious development time on DLC when we still had a lot of work to do on the core game.

So instead, we planned for DLC around these limitations. Thats where the idea of the Quests for the Lost Eternia Shards originated -- new cinematics, new maps, new bosses, new items and new pets. We knew each of these would require a patch to add in the latter two features (as well as whatever new functions we would like the challenge missions and levels to have), and we knew those patches would cost money, but we accepted that. We made sure to add functionality for the first of these packs into the game, so the first DLC would release in a timely matter, and then started going through the exciting process that is console certification.

While the completed console versions were in the certification process, it hit us... Halloween was around the corner. And then there was Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas... and more! Jeremy and I had a discussion, and we made, what we already knew was going to be an unpopular decision, to treat the PC version as a different SKU from the console game and create holiday events which were not compatible with the final console versions. We didnt think it was fair to PC players to update the PC version within the framework of console restrictions, when many of those restrictions did not exist on PC. At the same time we created console events, which was our way of giving back to the console community within the framework we could operate in.

Until after release, this idea only extended to Holiday Events. The advertised differences between the versions were controls and TrendyNet Events (at that time they were just going to be that -- free, time-limited events). But, as work progressed on the Events, we started to get... creative.

We were compelled by the overwhelming desire to dress up the Monk as a Ninja for Halloween, the Huntress as an Angel. On Steam, we could make that a reality. So we took those spare technical resources and created an outfit system for PC. Our artists worked day and night to create the new character models. We sweat blood pumping out Holiday levels that we didnt have nearly enough time to complete. That furious work right after release nearly broke the team (seriously, we had a meeting and everything).

By that time, the game was a huge success on PC, and we decided to carry on giving PC players the support and features they requested beyond Holiday Events, with the anticipation of going back and trying our darnest to get anything we could to console.

After much thought and investigation, weve decided its unfeasible from both a technical and business standpoint to bring the PC-only content (Holiday DLC, New Heroes Pack, Barbarian, Assault Mission Pack, Nightmare Mode, Shops, etc.) to the console versions. This is for a variety of reasons including the massive restructuring of the current console game that would have to take place, the QA process necessary to prepare for submission, patch size limitations, patch stacking requirements, and the opportunity cost of pursuing other projects.

We are very sorry, given the current console framework, that we cannot deliver this content to console players, but we do stand by the fact that, while different, both the console and PC versions of Dungeon Defenders are great products (and tremendous values). We hope that in the future, with news like this, other companies will be able to provide the support we have to PC players simultaneously to console players, too.

Sincerely,
Pmasher

Q. Why is the PC-only DLC/features not coming to Console?
A. This is for a variety of technical and business reasons including patch size limitations and patch stacking requirements, as well as the massive restructuring of the current console game that would have to take place, the QA processes necessary to prepare those changes for submission, and the opportunity cost of pursuing other projects.

Q. What is the difference between patching on Consoles and PC?
A. There are two key differences between patching on consoles and patching on PC: approval processes and platform-restrictions. The former forces content to be finished well in advance of their release on console. The latter includes restrictions such as patch size (4mb on XBLA, unless youre granted an exception), content, etc. For example, XBLA patches stack, so it would require anyone who downloads Dungeon Defenders to immediately download all of the subsequent patches on launch. So, even if we were allowed to update console like we have on PC, anyone who downloaded Dungeon Defenders today would immediately have to download multiple gigabytes of content via a series of updates, before actually launching the game.

Q. What is console getting?
A. Consoles will be getting Parts I-IV of the Quest for the Lost Eternia Shards packs, as well as their associated weapons and pets. The first patch will contain those as well as an unspecified number of bug-fixes and some balancing changes (the team is still working on both of these now). At this point, I really dont want to dangle a carrot in front of anyones face, but we are looking into putting some of the other weapons and pets added into PC over the last few months into console. HOWEVER, we are limited by the small RAM in consoles and the way the existing DunDef weapon/hero system utilizes it, in regards to how much content beyond the Quest we can add.

Q. Why would you tease us with pictures of other Hero Classes in the secret room on XBLA if you didnt intend to give them to us?
A. We originally wanted all of our parody artwork (seen in the PC and PS3 versions of the game) to also be in the wall in the XBLA version. One of the last-minute requests from our publisher on that version right before Microsoft Certification was to remove those posters. Up went all the concept art we had available on our computers.

Q. When is the console patch coming?
A. We still plan to submit the console patch this month. As for its actual release, that depends on the QA.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Mistymire weapons now have their appropriate artwork and will save on your hero. Added DLC 2 (Desert Town) weapons/pet as well for that upcoming release. (There's a technical issue with the Mistymire pet, so we're unable to bring that to you. Sorry about that!)

Will they also have their special effects like the PC version?

there so pretty.
any increase in difficulty on insain?

Sadly, no. Sorry about that!

Will they also have their special effects like the PC version?

Oh yeah!

Thank you for the hard work, this is gonna be a title update or a cache update?

Title update. :^)

This is such good news especially with the addition of higher progression :-). Good times are coming.

*Wakes up, first thing sees upon refreshing console page is Patch Notes, joygasms*

Ok, two questions. Well, one is more of a plea, the other is a question.

First off, I assume this means the armor stat bug is not going to be fixed. Will this be fixed in the next patch?

Second, please please PLEASE tell me you will never ever EVER nerf Piercing Shot like you did on PC DX

yes yes yes finally i should have legendary defender now when these come out i had every pet at one time i had upgraded my weapons obediance training i had but all in split screen leggendary defender here i come chicken wooo

*Wakes up, first thing sees upon refreshing console page is Patch Notes, joygasms*

Ok, two questions. Well, one is more of a plea, the other is a question.

First off, I assume this means the armor stat bug is not going to be fixed. Will this be fixed in the next patch?

Second, please please PLEASE tell me you will never ever EVER nerf Piercing Shot like you did on PC DX

You'll have to refresh my memory on the armor stat bug. As for the Piercing Shot, I think we've learned as a company to never say never. :^) But I'll try to talk down anyone who suggests it.

2nd question about Mistymire, will the changes be retroactive or will they only affect rewards gained post-patch?

The changes will only affect rewards gained post-patch.

-------------------

To anyone else who has a question, I'll try to get you an answer sometime tonight.

So better loot? Does that mean event weapons will finally be passed up?

P.s. define "a bit less damaging" for squire towers lol, are we talking 1%,5%,25%?

You'll have to refresh my memory on the armor stat bug. As for the Piercing Shot, I think we've learned as a company to never say never. :^) But I'll try to talk down anyone who suggests it.

The changes will only affect rewards gained post-patch.

-------------------

To anyone else who has a question, I'll try to get you an answer sometime tonight.

:D Good man! <3

And the armor stat bug was never something widely known so it's possible you didn't know about it.

I'm not the one calling it as such, I read another player here call it that, and it is this:
Armors seem to only fit 8 stat bonuses, which is why we rarely ever see anything with all 4 tower stats drop, especially anything godly with tower radius bonuses. Will the higher-quality loot just bypass this?

And another question (or two). Will we betting ALL the pretty new weapon skins PC has from mistymire? Like I saw a ladybug one that was a random survival drop. Which also begs the question, will survival drops get a bit better, too?

So my perfect Crystal Tracker will suck compared to a new post-patch perfect Crystal Tracker right? I don't really understand what it means by better loot, Does this mean same stats and more upgrades? More stats and same upgrades?

what do you mean higher quality loot are you saying we are having super loot?

No. There is no point in having superloot when there is no higher difficulty that surpasses insane. The best way to put it, we are getting a extremely nerfed version of superloot.

Actually, scratch my earlier comment. I'll try to get you guys some answers in tomorrow's Digest. Keep asking away!

No. There is no point in having superloot when there is no higher difficulty that surpasses insane. The best way to put it, we are getting a extremely nerfed version of superloot.

In other-words it might make weapons from chests comparable to other weapons we use from challenges and such, maybe higher quality armor as well. Meaning you need level 70-78 to use it instead of lv60 for godly as it is now.

what do you mean higher quality loot are you saying we are having super loot?

With the current cap of 70 the best items are what, level 60 requirement?
I'm assuming with a new level cap we will get items of higher quality that have a higher level requirement.

:D Good man! <3

And the armor stat bug was never something widely known so it's possible you didn't know about it.

I'm not the one calling it as such, I read another player here call it that, and it is this:
Armors seem to only fit 8 stat bonuses, which is why we rarely ever see anything with all 4 tower stats drop, especially anything godly with tower radius bonuses. Will the higher-quality loot just bypass this?...

I can confirm the armor stat bug as well.

It seems like when armor spawns it does a "check" for what stat will or will not be on the armor. The process it takes seems to be Hero Stats>Skills>Tower Stats. So if it gets a "yes" for the 4 Hero Stats and "yes" for the 2 skills, it will only be able to run a "check" for the first 2 Tower Stats, therefore reducing the chance of all 4 Tower Stats showing up on armors.

So to speak.

@Hitmonchan: Great patch notes! I was not expecting a new level cap, but does this mean we will still have a cap of 60 Hero Points to put into our stats?

For example PC is level cap of 74 with a cap at 120 for Hero Points.

Actually, scratch my earlier comment. I'll try to get you guys some answers in tomorrow's Digest. Keep asking away!

Oh Hit I forgot to ask you, " is the Chicken roll being addressed in this patch?" I just do not want to get a low version of the chicken.

Oh Hit I forgot to ask you, " is the Chicken roll being addressed in this patch?" I just do not want to get a low version of the chicken.

I think it's safe to say that if it isn't in the patch notes, it isn't in the patch.

hitmon by the graphics or whatever you said about the weapons from mistmire does that mean the spiderling cleaver will look like the one from the computer and stuff like that ?