Why didn't you make barbarian solo viable?

I'm a bit of a late-starter (started mid december) and I have given up on trying to keep up with the most hardcore game play. I find it pretty stressful to build against the timer in nightmare and switch over to a dps character to upgrade + help kill then switch back between rounds to build more, etc. to only be able to finish 2 waves on NM then start all over again until I get some decent gear.

then there are my problems with not knowing what decent gear is, and having a constant struggle to get my apprentice to have more than 2000 in all the tower + personal stats and maxed resistances, tons of damage on the staff etc. like what I see in every other game I join where they are doing fine.

So, I gave up on that and realize I have to just stick to hard mode or lower to have a stress-free good time and never progress my gear.

One thing I wanted from the barbarian was a new way to go through the campaign by leveling through each stage but its not even close to possible. In order to play the barbarian, I have to power level and buy gear, instead of enjoying the game.

So I spent another $2 on the game, and can't even play the barbarian because I don't like group play. I'm kind of at the point where this game is just too hardcore for me, and I can't keep up with the elitist crowd that you keep patching the game for (they are completing nightmare with ease so you nerf towers and speed, etc). I have 3 more DLCs prepaid for and who knows how long those will take to get released and how tough the game will be for me by then :(

Totally agree.

Yeah I completely agree but whenever I've mentioned this before people just stand up and bash me, saying the game is meant for coop, that I'm stupid for playing solo or that I'm just a noob.

Even though the games designed in such a way that playing cooperative can be stressful, unrewarding, griefed or just too unpredictable unless you're playing with people you know very well, which we can't all do. The elitists and pro's control this game far too much and if you're not being kicked from games you're not getting much out of it anyway.

I think I'm just gonna give up, I gave up and got real excited for barbarian patch and immediately remembered why I stopped playing and since I can't solo and I don't want to click on random games to be kicked from or to have loot stolen or whatever...seems like a lost cause. I hate that this game is top seller all the time and on the front page, I honestly don't think it deserves it given the lack of attention the dev's seem to put into it. The barbarian can't even equip 2 weapons properly have of the time, did they even beta test this? Seems so unprepared.

To be fair, they made it pretty clear that the Barbarian did not have towers; if nothing else, waiting for a few minutes after the update would have confirmed that. And, there is just no possible way that any character without buildings could ever be solo viable (unless they were ungodly over-powered); levels just get too big, with too many spawns and too many crystals.

That being said, I also would have preferred a character with towers, but I understand why they would make one without them. The player base is more or less locked in now, and the majority of them have characters they build with, and characters they fight with. Most players would be capable of solo-leveling their Barbs by just swapping characters in/out. Which is already how solo play works.

To be fair, they made it pretty clear that the Barbarian did not have towers; if nothing else, waiting for a few minutes after the update would have confirmed that. And, there is just no possible way that any character without buildings could ever be solo viable (unless they were ungodly over-powered); levels just get too big, with too many spawns and too many crystals.

That being said, I also would have preferred a character with towers, but I understand why they would make one without them. The player base is more or less locked in now, and the majority of them have characters they build with, and characters they fight with. Most players would be capable of solo-leveling their Barbs by just swapping characters in/out. Which is already how solo play works.

When I heard the barb had no towers, I imagined an all-out bad *** character that can just rip enemies a new one and doesn't even need towers to complete the campaign (at least on easy mode, come on) but what I was given was the weakest, slowest character and...well...no towers, also. Can't even use the cool abilities until leveled up.

So, I'm not upset there are no towers...I bought the barbarian because I read that there were no towers. I wanted a bad *** that could tear **** up. This game is supposed to be single player or multiplayer...

So, I'm not upset there are no towers...I bought the barbarian because I read that there were no towers. I wanted a bad *** that could tear **** up. This game is supposed to be single player or multiplayer...

Well, you still can play it single player, you just need to use multiple characters. It's easy to switch out. I leveled my guy solo by building with my app and changing to my barbarian. I understand that it is unfortunate he can't take levels on without help, but it's not really a single/multiplayer issue.

As for making the campaign beatable while only using a single barbarian; they would have had to make him extremely powerful. So powerful, that at higher-level play he would render all other DPS characters obsolete. And, I think that would have upset many more people.

I'm a bit of a late-starter (started mid december) and I have given up on trying to keep up with the most hardcore game play. I find it pretty stressful to build against the timer in nightmare and switch over to a dps character to upgrade + help kill then switch back between rounds to build more, etc. to only be able to finish 2 waves on NM then start all over again until I get some decent gear.

then there are my problems with not knowing what decent gear is, and having a constant struggle to get my apprentice to have more than 2000 in all the tower + personal stats and maxed resistances, tons of damage on the staff etc. like what I see in every other game I join where they are doing fine.:(

I'm really confused on this statement. I'm a hardcore mythical defender now with 1100 tower attack, 490 tower health, 500 tower range and 900 tower speed.. If you have 2k in all stats you should be able to afk all maps without any issue, minus Misty Survival ofc.

Now with the barbarian he seems to be perfect for repairing/nuking down enemies that are in mass groups due to enrage auras or any ninjas/spiders that get thru your defenses.. I find em useful in a group and rough solo but meh.

I'm really confused on this statement. I'm a hardcore mythical defender now with 1100 tower attack, 490 tower health, 500 tower range and 900 tower speed.. If you have 2k in all stats you should be able to afk all maps without any issue, minus Misty Survival ofc.

Now with the barbarian he seems to be perfect for repairing/nuking down enemies that are in mass groups due to enrage auras or any ninjas/spiders that get thru your defenses.. I find em useful in a group and rough solo but meh.

my apprentice is about where yours is for tower stats. before the latest patch, I was able to clear the first 2 waves of misty nm hc.

I agree the Barbarian should be a lot better at DPS than other classes since its the only thing it can do. It wouldnt even be OP, DPS speced heroes can never kill as much as tower spec heroes.

I agree the Barbarian should be a lot better at DPS than other classes since its the only thing it can do. It wouldnt even be OP, DPS speced heroes can never kill as much as tower spec heroes.

But, if he was flat-out better at DPS than all other characters, that would be OP. That's pretty much the definition of OP. Not being able to build does not balance that out, no one ever builds with their pure DPS characters.

Now, if he could also not upgrade or repair towers (what I had assumed they would do) then he could be made into the best DPS character without being OP. Frankly, I think that is how he should be implemented. It allows him to be a beast at DPS, and just makes sense. Why should a character without buildings be able to upgrade/repair them anyways?

Almost no class is really solo viable at nightmare, not sure why barbarians should be either. Apprentices are the closest, but generally succumb to squishiness and thus don't stay in combat in end-game content, and rely heavily on ensnare auras to mitigate enemy threat. Huntress and monk are essentially impossible to solo in nightmare, with squire somewhere in between.

If the timer is your problem, either plan in out ahead of time on a lower difficulty, with the DD tool on cubicleninja, or by starting it up as a survival when possible to test it out. Nightmare is supposed to be hardcore, thats the truth of it. If you want to take it easy, there's a ton of other options available. Additionally, you aren't supposed to be levelling characters in nightmare, its supposed to be for characters that are already levelled to have a challenge. Its just that once you've got strong enough towers, you can get away with it, but that character is still going to be severely hamstrung by its low level, and thats true of any class.

Almost no class is really solo viable at nightmare, not sure why barbarians should be either. Apprentices are the closest, but generally succumb to squishiness and thus don't stay in combat in end-game content, and rely heavily on ensnare auras to mitigate enemy threat. Huntress and monk are essentially impossible to solo in nightmare, with squire somewhere in between.

If the timer is your problem, either plan in out ahead of time on a lower difficulty, with the DD tool on cubicleninja, or by starting it up as a survival when possible to test it out. Nightmare is supposed to be hardcore, thats the truth of it. If you want to take it easy, there's a ton of other options available. Additionally, you aren't supposed to be levelling characters in nightmare, its supposed to be for characters that are already levelled to have a challenge. Its just that once you've got strong enough towers, you can get away with it, but that character is still going to be severely hamstrung by its low level, and thats true of any class.

I think your missing the part where he's not solo viable on pretty much anything.

Hint...2 weapons vs 1...Barb gets more stats hence better. Also Stances compared to worthless tower stats on other DPS chars
Barb is FINE

barb can solo the campaign same as any other class.. but swapping out characters as the game suguests and hits and for you to do.
..if its campaign with only ONE character.... then no hes not meant to do that.. monk cant do that either. monk using only auras will NOT be able to cover all 3 crystals of lightning immunes.. AND fight the boss at the same time.
so stop acting like the barb is the only one boned in that regards.

start as a mage.. place a few key auras or towers.. then dps as a barb.. as your SUPPOSED to.

its a TD strategy game... and just like ANY strat game.. your going to be ripped a new one if you only stick with one unit type.

Im lvl my barbarian right now, and indeed he cannot solo very much at all...but that was never the point!
He is used to do damage.
You build some blockades and then use your barbarian to deal out *** kickings.
He is pretty fun to play in my opinion...but soloing...nope.

The barbarian was mostly created for those people who don't play hybrid and have seperate builder and attacker characters.

[QUOTE]squire somewhere in between. [/QUOTE]
I'd say with this patch, solo squire viability is significantly increased. You may need some darkness traps to avoid face-raping syndrome though.

TL;DR

DD is a Tower Defense game. If you can solo it without towers.. it would be a Third Person/First Person action game.

my apprentice is about where yours is for tower stats. before the latest patch, I was able to clear the first 2 waves of misty nm hc.

You need to research some different strategies and/or level your barbarian and have him out instead of your builder. I'm getting to the boss with 400/900/400/600ish. I started using a squire during the combat phase and it's made all the difference. I'm sure the barbarain would work just as well or better since i'll i do is run around and repair stuff and dps a few spiders down here and there.