Barbarian is Missing (Release Date now Tuesday 1/31)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@toturi The reaction is astounding in the way people are managing to stay civil and be understanding. I expected the topic to be a whine topic but instead it's mostly people saying, "I am dissapointed but I'll live," and thats really the right attitude to have. I admit I'm dissapointed too and I've been waiting for barbarian every month since it was announced in october. As it stands I will have something to look forward to when I get home after school tomorrow instead of constantly refreshing steam today waiting and waiting.

- Sent from my left buttock while my right one was distracted.

ಠ_ಠ
In related rantings, my cynical side is telling me we won't see the Series EV character until march.

At least that would continue to keep you amused.

I'm disappointed, mainly because today was my regular day off and was looking forward to getting a Barbarian to 74. I'm a programmer though, so I know how this stuff goes. I still don't like them holding everything back for the barb alone though.

I'm disappointed, mainly because today was my regular day off and was looking forward to getting a Barbarian to 74. I'm a programmer though, so I know how this stuff goes. I still don't like them holding everything back for the barb alone though.

They aren't holding everything back because of the barbarian. They are adding stuff from beta testing too so it's more polished. This is a good thing :D

- Sent from my Lga2015 using taptalk

Please read the whole post. He states that somethings from the beta test are being fixed atm

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Finally,

Your doing a pretty good job trying to defend Trendy. However their testing process is still very disconcerting coming from someone that works in the industry as well. It still feels to me like they are having growing pains or are refusing to grow. They should not be testing or compiling test results for a release candidate product a few days before release. Everything should be ready to go at least two weeks before the product is released (industry standard).

Imo Trendy needs to go back and try to reset expectations. Let the community know that a patch a month is unrealistic at this point. It might have been possible in the past but the bigger something gets the harder it is to manage. I for one would rather have an amazing well polished product in two months then a product that requires 50 hotfixes in two days that takes developer time away from creating new content.

well DD is a great game, and people are understanding about delays, no one wants a broken dlc, and most people programmers or not are well aware of some of the last minute issues that crop up and are almost impossible to catch earlier... its expected most people will be civil and understanding about it, ofc some people have taken days off and been sat refreshing steam like lemons all day, but its no big deal in the long run DD is great and people are enjoying it. Im really looking forward to the barbarian, and it only takes 1 day to get to lvl 74 ... but thats one day so what if its tommorow or next week, once you hit lvl 74 theres not much to do, until the rest of the dlc shard stuff fills in the gap anyway...

what is surprising tho, is that this goes both ways, and this forum doesnt seem to allow anyone to complain/moan/point out facts about the situation to add to their complaints about hte situation, really if the users can be so understanding, is it too much to ask that trendy can be understanding to people having a rightly earned whinge about it as well ?

it maybe that teh correct and mature thing to do for the users is to be understanding and happy anyway, afterall trendy have indeed made a great game..

* But its also the correct and mature thing to do when someone isnt understanding and just moans, is for the mods to appologise and be understanding, and NOT edit posts / threaten users / remove posts / remove users...

but heh this isnt a democracy...(or is it? depends on the company really doesnt it)

--finally really needs demoting from mod status

What are you talking about?

The live beta pool was implemented based on user *demand*. Trendy is listening to our feedback and it was, almost universally, saying that the patches needed to slow down and allow some testing prior to release. I only say almost because I don't know every thread and someone might pull a single post somewhere where this wasn't the case, but as far as I can remember everyone wanted the patches to slow down to allow more testing.

There's no industry standard that says everything should be finalized two weeks before release. That doesn't even make sense because it would say that any bugs that are not realized or addressed two weeks shouldn't have anything done about them? What does happen, though, is that large companies don't address bugs and instead tell their testers and developers to ship it anyway and either address them with a zero day patch or not at all. That's based on economics and publishing issues, though, not because it's a good model for fixing stuff and getting it out the door in the best possible state.

Trendy needs to hire some of the pro's that post around these forums. I mean seriously, look at all the talent and knowledge.

well DD is a great game, and people are understanding about delays, no one wants a broken dlc, and most people programmers or not are well aware of some of the last minute issues that crop up and are almost impossible to catch earlier... its expected most people will be civil and understanding about it, ofc some people have taken days off and been sat refreshing steam like lemons all day, but its no big deal in the long run DD is great and people are enjoying it. Im really looking forward to the barbarian, and it only takes 1 day to get to lvl 74 ... but thats one day so what if its tommorow or next week, once you hit lvl 74 theres not much to do, until the rest of the dlc shard stuff fills in the gap anyway...

what is surprising tho, is that this goes both ways, and this forum doesnt seem to allow anyone to complain/moan/point out facts about the situation to add to their complaints about hte situation, really if the users can be so understanding, is it too much to ask that trendy can be understanding to people having a rightly earned whinge about it as well ?

it maybe that teh correct and mature thing to do for the users is to be understanding and happy anyway, afterall trendy have indeed made a great game..

* But its also the correct and mature thing to do when someone isnt understanding and just moans, is for the mods to appologise and be understanding, and NOT edit posts / threaten users / remove posts / remove users...

but heh this isnt a democracy...(or is it? depends on the company really doesnt it)

--finally really needs demoting from mod status

You are entitled to your opinion so long as you do not derail threads or start insulting other players of which you have done both. As such, you were no longer complainging/moaning but destroying a thread. It is your choice to be a productive member of the community or not.

If you do not agree, you are perfectly fine not posting but all posts will be dealt with in the correct manner. Any disputes you have with me from removing these posts can be taken care if with the Private Message system but you were and still are in the wrong. Any more posts like this will be removed as you have the PM system to discuss this with me.

Please read the forum rules and continue posting if you wish to abide by them.

As for that, back on topic.

Trendy needs to hire some of the pro's that post around these forums. I mean seriously, look at all the talent and knowledge.

^... Haven't you realized 90% of the forum population here are current or ex-game developers? They know the system, man. THEY KNOW IT>><:!

^... Haven't you realized 90% of the forum population here are current or ex-game developers? They know the system, man. THEY KNOW IT>><:!

Its the internet... not only are you a beautiful girl who plays video games but you have been programming for 15 years and am only 13!

Aa for that... back to the topic on hand...

You guys said you were done with the patch the 24th. and now you even delay it ? diz makes dem great sense, man.

You guys said you were done with the patch the 24th. and now you even delay it ? diz makes dem great sense, man.

They are making changes due to the beta test as per the OP. So yes it may have been done in their eyes but now they are fixing anything that was missed =o

Better to delay a day then have a buggy patch!

wow guys its a patch.. like you have no idea whats going one there. as they state they're using feed back from the beta tests, which means balancing ect which everyone seems to complain about.
come on guys, is it really the end of the world that an update for a game is a day later than the date that got forced out of them by all the pressure to give it.

wow guys its a patch.. like you have no idea whats going one there. as they state they're using feed back from the beta tests, which means balancing ect which every seems to complain about.
come on guys, is it really the end of the world that an update for a game is a day later than the date that got forced out of them by all the pressure to give it.

It's not the end of the world, no, but it is very unprofessional. I have no problem with them fixing problems before releasing it, but they just simply shouldn't have announced a release date until they knew it was ready.

Anyway back to topic :

its maybe funny to joke that everyone and his dog are expert games programmers, but infact with programming being the fashionable "hobby", i suspect most people here have coded, and a lot have written games before...

personally ive written a couple of crappy games with the source engine, and a few half finished crappy games from scratch in various langs, im totally not a games programmer tho and dont really know that much about it. But i know enough to know that trendy have done a great job on DD, and can barely imagine the kind of time it took -- it took me months just using a few character models from another game...

anyway the point im trying and failing to make is that insulting others programming skills, in an indie games developers forum makes no sense, trendy litterally probably came about from people just like the people your insulting that just decided to get together and make a decent game...

as the search continues for the mighty barbarian, all the heros have gathered where the monks have made smoke signals

the huntress and hunter search the remains of the battle field for any signs of where the barbarian could have taken off to but all they seem to find are feats of superhuman strength.

countess: hey hunter over here what do you make of this burn pattern? (pointing to chard ground in a circular pattern that looks like an outline of the sun)

hunter: isnt it obvious either the wyverns missed alot or the barbarian can shield himself.. lets keep looking

mean while the squire is with the monks pilling the boddies up making a tally of the barbs kills.

squire: man this guy is vicious, making me look like a joke but then again i have no pants with heart boxers on so i guess i am a joke.

monk a (who has taken a vow of silence laughs)

monk b: might i point out that we monks are doing all the work while you are being less than useless.... these ogres are quite heavy.

squire: hey im keeping tally

monk b: i guess thats all your good for then huh.

else where in the ruins the apprentice(s) and the huntress come across a huge gap in the land where the barbarians trail has gone cold.

app a: so what do you make of this huntress, theres no way he could have jumped this gap

huntress: actually i think he did he did. (she sends her familiar to the other side of the game to see if the trail picks back up)

app b: is anyone else questioning inviting him to our ranks, im starting to get scared, what happens if he goes "bezerk"

huntress: better hope that the hunters cloak does the job then. (her familiar returns)

huntress: i dont believe it, how on earth did he jump that. regardless what you guys think im all but certain that he will be most helpful in the battles to come, assuming we can find/catch up to him

apps: agreed!

huntress: gather the others ill scout the area for a way to cross

fwd from my search party

This is trash. What the hell trendy dropping the ball big this time.

Dude trendy has been dropping the ball since day one. If you wanna play dungeon defenders you just gotta expect stuff like this from them. Sad but true. Console version isn't even gonna get this -_-

I want to point out that 24 hours isn't a long time and all this whining just wasted hours of actual man power. You humans are silly!

Its the internet... not only are you a beautiful girl who plays video games but you have been programming for 15 years and am only 13!

Aa for that... back to the topic on hand...

LOL we really need a thumbs up or thumbs down option for posts, this made my day :)

Regarding the patch, it would be nice if Trendy released the video today at least, they seemed to hint at it in the post. His skills look very interesting!

yay my point got totally blown over and ignored....

yeah the threads mostly whiners about people not getting to play the barb on time.
BIG DEAL....

what about the people that CANNOT PLAY THE GAME AT ALL?!

there is a game breaking but that causes CONSTANT Crashing... and has driven people away from this game for over a MONTH!!

this HUGE chunk of the Dun Def community that simply cant play the game because of this crash.. has to way.. LONGER.. when according to the patch notes.. this HUGE issue has been fixed for WEEKS now... but just like every "crash bug" that they find.. the NEVER release it when the fix comes around.. it gets SAVED to be released with "a more substantial content patch".

THIS is why im fuming.. not because someone has to wait for some NEW content.. but because those that are waiting to be able to even play at ALL.. are getting raped from behind without even the courtesy of a reach around.
Hotfixes are MEANT to resolve game breaking failures as SOON as possible. not a month down the road.

yeah.. they went overboard with hotfixes before for MINOR changes.. but look at the patch notes history.. all the "crash fixes" came over great time... weeks passing.. usualy with main content changes.

Keep the barbarian.. and the assault maps.. nobody cares about beta testing new crap when the old stuff dont work >.>

@Jason Begley, perhaps your computer's got something wrong with it. I haven't been suffering crashes for a long time now. Sure theres still the random STEAM disconnects but things have gotten WAY WAY more stable. Just sayin'

@ Thefayde NICE!

- Sent from... ah forget it!

Wait! You aren't allowed to agree with me! You better go wash your mouth out with soap!! :D

I knew this comment was coming. I remember when there were dozens of threads/comment on every patch release because it was broken and allowed people to exploit its problems before it was fixed a few hours or days later. Numerous people said they would rather wait a few more days for tested content than have patches released like they were.

Fast forward 30 days.. and we have people mad because they are doing too much testing/adjusting prior to release.

TL;DR - Trendy will fail in some people's eyes no matter what they do. People are selfish. They want what they want when they want it. I'm guilty too. I was frustrated by crappy buggy patches and I'm frustrated by the constant delays on this content. (Originally all but the assault mission packs were set to release by 1/20/12.. and the other stuff by 1/27/12). I'm still going to buy the Barbarian and keep playing.. but I'm wagging my finger really hard at you guys right now!

this 100%

I have to wait a day?????!?!?!?! end of the world....