Sign in to follow this  
Sakisan

Gaming PC

PS: Isn't your list missing a DVD drive?

Good point. Forgot about that since I have so many laying around I never have to buy them lol. Add another $15-20 for a nice DVD-RW drive.

Save more money, go AMD. Not sure why anyone would pay for the Intel premium when building a budget rig. High end? Yes. Budget? No.

I was AMD for years. I bought their dual core when it first came out (when it was $1000). It was a nice novelty CPU, but it was greatly disappointing. Maybe it was because it was their first desktop dual core CPU released. I still have it in my secondary PC, but I went Intel after that and have not been disappoointed yet. It's also not the high-end Intel. It's the i5 as opposed to the i7. The i5 is middleground and I couldn't recommend an i3 because it's technically considered low-end and doesn't have much room to expand other than having to buy another processor.

As far as your computer build its not ideal imo. You pair an i5 with a crap video card. No game needs that much CPU to run just fine, get the i3-2100 and put the $80 into a better video card for the same price.
i3-2100 $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

Radeon HD 6770 $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121474

That's a good point, but I wouldn't personally recommend an i3... but that's just me, but you could definitely do this^ and would even be better for some things that require more GPU.

I didn't see a response to the person complaining that their 5 year old system was getting so bad that after 3 hours of deeper wells they would lag out.
This sounds more to me like bandwith throttling or the need to re-install the system and wipe everything.

All computers slow down as time goes by and junk code infests your drive and registry. Best thing to do would be to re-install your operating system and all of your games.

I didn't see a response to the person complaining that their 5 year old system was getting so bad that after 3 hours of deeper wells they would lag out.
This sounds more to me like bandwith throttling or the need to re-install the system and wipe everything.

All computers slow down as time goes by and junk code infests your drive and registry. Best thing to do would be to re-install your operating system and all of your games.

This. Helps more than you might imagine. I haven't reinstalled in at least 2 years and I feel the effects of slowdown. Games run slower, apps open slower. Even the most simple act of defragmenting your HDD can make a big impact.

I already did that a few months ago, nice try though.

I just want to say building a PC is laughably easy, even if you aren't tech savvy, and that $300 console can only play games and get on Facebook+netflix while a PC can do so much more.

My Pc is about 7 years old, the only things I've upgraded have been my graphics card and hard drives (to have more space) and I can run Dungeon Defenders fine. What CPU and graphics card do you have?

My Pc is about 7 years old, the only things I've upgraded have been my graphics card and hard drives (to have more space) and I can run Dungeon Defenders fine. What CPU and graphics card do you have?

If anything I would say it is the graphics card causing the hold up, though it shouldn't be. I don't have any money to replace/upgrade and do not intend to do so when I already have an Xbox that runs the game. I have no other games I want to play on PC, and I don't even want to play DD on PC, I just want to play with the content. But I can't even do that because I'm expected to be a computer nerd and know everything about graphics cards and all that.

If anything I would say it is the graphics card causing the hold up, though it shouldn't be. I don't have any money to replace/upgrade and do not intend to do so when I already have an Xbox that runs the game. I have no other games I want to play on PC, and I don't even want to play DD on PC, I just want to play with the content. But I can't even do that because I'm expected to be a computer nerd and know everything about graphics cards and all that.

Yea, the Internet is a scary place. Learning things here is impossible. You must be born with the knowledge or forever be doomed to never know. True story: I was born with all my computer knowledge.

Yea, the Internet is a scary place. Learning things here is impossible. You must be born with the knowledge or forever be doomed to never know. True story: I was born with all my computer knowledge.

Don't understand why you have to flame me because I have no interest in technology beyond using it for what it was built for.

Don't understand why you have to flame me because I have no interest in technology beyond using it for what it was built for.

You cannot say have no interest in technology then complain about the lack of knowledge all within 2 posts of each other. If you don't want the knowledge don't complain that you can't do what the knowledge enables you to. AKA, don't say "I have no interest in technology" and "I can't do that because I'm not a computer nerd". If you want to be able to do it, learn. I you don't want to learn, don't expect to be able to do it. If you have no desire to further your knowledge to accomplish what is discussed in this topic, your input of "I'm not a computer nerd therefore I can't do this" is unnecessary here. This thread is for people eager to do something. Not those who don't care to learn.

You cannot say have no interest in technology then complain about the lack of knowledge all within 2 posts of each other. If you don't want the knowledge don't complain that you can't do what the knowledge enables you to. AKA, don't say "I have no interest in technology" and "I can't do that because I'm not a computer nerd". If you want to be able to do it, learn. I you don't want to learn, don't expect to be able to do it. If you have no desire to further your knowledge to accomplish what is discussed in this topic, your input of "I'm not a computer nerd therefore I can't do this" is unnecessary here. This thread is for people eager to do something. Not those who don't care to learn.

Did I ever say I wanted to do it? Did I ever say I'd have enough money to get the parts to build one even if I could? No. I believe I only said the opposite. From the beginning all I ever said was how this topic was pointless as no one is going to get a brand-new PC for ONE game.

Oh, yeah, because I see a million consolers eager for this information that they already knew: PCs cost 3x or more as a console does! Everyone knows building your own is cheaper. That doesn't necessarily make it affordable.

I'm beginning to think this should've been put in the off-topic section as this has nothing to do with DD.

Did I ever say I wanted to do it? Did I ever say I'd have enough money to get the parts to build one even if I could? No. I believe I only said the opposite. From the beginning all I ever said was how this topic was pointless as no one is going to get a brand-new PC for ONE game.

Oh, yeah, because I see a million consolers eager for this information that they already knew: PCs cost 3x or more as a console does! Everyone knows building your own is cheaper. That doesn't necessarily make it affordable.

I'm beginning to think this should've been put in the off-topic section as this has nothing to do with DD.

Consoles are cheap because their hardware sucks. A console is nowhere near the capabilities of a PC. The only thing consoles have over PCs is standardization and less overhead from an OS like Windows, Linux/Unix/BSD allowing less hardware for better performance. That is also the reason why many companies choose to exclusively develop for consoles because it can be guaranteed to perform the same across them all while PCs have so many factors involved. PCs will always be ahead of the console performance capabilities. Always. While the years pass, consoles get more efficient and smaller yet they don't exactly get more powerful. PCs over the years (even months) get more and more powerful. There is plenty of reason to PC game over console and plenty of reason to own a PC. If you want a PC for simple tasks and to play DD at a casual pace, you could easily throw one together for like $400 by taking a few things on my list down a notch. That's HARDLY more than a console. $100? For so much more power? And you can do so much more on it than just play a game or two. But, that's your choice if you'd rather stick solely to consoles.

This thread should be in the section viewed most because so many DDers don't understand the truth of PCs. It may be offtopic but is on topic to DD users.

/moved

As above, it was in general for a reason. I don't post things in places they don't belong for no reason lol.

As above, it was in general for a reason. I don't post things in places they don't belong for no reason lol.

This thread is about PC's, and not really about DD. It's also common sense.

If you want a PC for simple tasks and to play DD at a casual pace, you could easily throw one together for like $400 by taking a few things on my list down a notch. That's HARDLY more than a console. $100?

If anything, that $400 dollar figure is high if you're willing to wait for sales. A friend of my recently finished his new system for just about $300 (including things like the case and a keyboard and mouse). Said system can run most games on low settings with 30 fps quite easily. Moral of the story: pick out the parts you want and check sites like newegg and amazon every week or so until they go on sale (or a part that's equilevant).

For the record, I paid $300 for my xbox which RRoD a month and a half later. I got it fixed for free, but it took over a month. I would most definately chose my friends system over an xbox any day, because a computer can be used for things other than games.

This thread is about PC's, and not really about DD. It's also common sense.

This thread is about DD players who post in the general section about how they can't afford PCs because they cost the same as a large house. Not eveyone reads off topic.

I like to upgrade every 3 years, and wouldn't you know it, it's been 3 years since my last build! There's nothing more enjoyable than building a new gaming rig. I'm looking forward to going back to Nvidia, my ATI 5850 has served me well but I just don't like their software, it'll be interesting to see how far Nvidia have come since I last used them. I will most likely pull the trigger in a month or two. Overall it will cost me around 800, which isn't bad in my book, especially considering the GPU takes up nearly half that budget :D

To the people who say consoles are better because they're cheaper, well, maybe for you, but for serious gamers sub HD resolutions, sub 30 fps and jaggies aren't really acceptable, so it's worth putting some extra money into your hobby IMO. I have nothing against consoles (I own them both) but you get what you pay for. The PS3 is a fantastic Blu-ray player though.

And you sound snobby you might wanna cut back on some of that...As i said most people cant spend money on a pc because 600 would be a months rent not to mention other utilities people have to pay for...

Not having a pc in the house is more likely to hurt you more than 600 dollars than be a savings. Especially if there are any kids in school or if either adult is in college. I can't really think of anything a family needs more than a pc except shelter and food/water.

I think most people who work can afford to spend $600 on a PC, it's really not that hard to save $50 a month until you have enough.