Sign in to follow this  
Sakisan

Gaming PC

I think it needs mentioned after seeing so many people claimed "I need a $1000+ GAMING PC to play DD" that you all know nothing. Sorry. My friend just asked me to price him out a new machine just a week ago. Know what $1300 got him? A PC that will run the top games of the industry at maximum settings with room to expand well into the future. $1300. Know what $1000 will get you? Almost as good as that. That, is WAY overkill for a game like DD.

I run:
Intel Quad Q9400 @ 2.66ghz
8GB Corsair somethingsomething mem
2x ATI Radeon 4890
few other odds and ends

And DD runs FINE. I can play almost every game at max or near max quality. How much did I pay for this? Maybe like $1400 almost -3- years ago. I just priced out an entire setup (that's right, I just did the hard work for everyone) of a PC that would run DD just fine. I didn't bull**** anyone here and included EVERYTHING including a keyboard,mouse,monitor assuming people don't have a single PC accessory AT ALL. Price? $642.90. Eat it up.

Also note, most of these items are of the high quality variety. I put my full faith in anything Antec, Asus, Corsair, Logitech, and Seagate. They have served me well for many many years without a single failure.

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131724
Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150582
Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034
Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074
Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145218
Hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148698
Keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109233
Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236114
Mouse:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104370

Ok but i would just like to bring up a point.. Most families or people dont have 1000 or more to spend on a pc and consoles are easier to come by....or even 600 for that matter.. thats some families rent money

If you want to stick with consoles, then suffer the consequences of being a single system person. PCs are easier to release software for as has been said multiple times. Consoles are NOT friendly to indie companies. If you're a gamer you should have a PC at the very least even if it isn't a gaming PC. $642 is far more achievable than $1000 and more realistic. If you have anything there it's that much you don't have to spend such as $100 for a monitor. You can get one of those at a garage sale for cheap and it be functioning.

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning that if you're only making ends meet every month, then gaming in general is probably not what you should be spending money on. Also having families when having no money is you making the choice to not have your life be as grand as it could be without one. Take the good with the bad. Being happy with your families (I assume you're happy if you have one) means less money and time for things such as gaming. That's a given. Don't expect a company such as Trendy to spend all their money, time, and effort to go down a path that is of little or no value to them just because you chose to do what you do in life (or didn't choose, but why should they bend to your limitations?).

I never said i didnt have a pc...See now your making yourself look bad you should calm down..I wouldnt be sending you this if i didnt have a pc...and your labeling me as well...You should think before you speak...I could have easily goten it for my pc but im not gonna support a company that plays with peoples money...And before you say it didnt cost much thats not what i meant.. But im not gonna keep arguing with you i have things to get back to.....And for the record if a company strings you along and releases dls to grab your money then tell you your not getting the better dlc id like to see how you handle it...

And you sound snobby you might wanna cut back on some of that...As i said most people cant spend money on a pc because 600 would be a months rent not to mention other utilities people have to pay for...

I never said i didnt have a pc...See now your making yourself look bad you should calm down..I wouldnt be sending you this if i didnt have a pc...and your labeling me as well...You should think before you speak...I could have easily goten it for my pc but im not gonna support a company that plays with peoples money...And before you say it didnt cost much thats not what i meant.. But im not gonna keep arguing with you i have things to get back to.....And for the record if a company strings you along and releases dls to grab your money then tell you your not getting the better dlc id like to see how you handle it...

I never said you didn't have a PC. You can also post using mobiles and consoles.

Trendy didn't string anyone along. How about all the console games with HORRID PC ports. Should we *****, moan, and complain nonstop that the console got a better release? No. If you don't like it, you don't buy it or you move on if you did. If you assumed Trendy was going to release EVERY DLC for console, then that's your fault. If you want to say they said so, I'd like to see their post that says -every single DLC- will be released for console. And even then, they don't owe you it. As has been said multiple times the game was meant to be a cheap getaway from life and give you a few hours of joy and that be it. It wasn't imagined to explode like it did. Anything after initial release is BONUS. Quit complaining.

And you sound snobby you might wanna cut back on some of that...As i said most people cant spend money on a pc because 600 would be a months rent not to mention other utilities people have to pay for...

Sorry if having knowledge = snobbiness. I guess you must be the ultimate humble person.

Edit: This was not meant as confrontational or to start an argument. This was to prove the nonbelievers wrong. Decent PCs do not cost $1000+. I just proved that. If you can't spend the amount required, don't expect to game properly.

Most of the PCs nowadays have good enough processor/RAM for a low price. I'm guessing that when ppl complain DD needs a good gaming comp, they don't have an adequate video card. Truth be told, it's not a game you can play on max quality with just any video card. Sadly for me, I use a laptop with an integrated video card, so in order to get a better one, I'd need to replace my entire laptop.

Most of the PCs nowadays have good enough processor/RAM for a low price. I'm guessing that when ppl complain DD needs a good gaming comp, they don't have an adequate video card. Truth be told, it's not a game you can play on max quality with just any video card. Sadly for me, I use a laptop with an integrated video card, so in order to get a better one, I'd need to replace my entire laptop.

Problem is most people get suckered into the companies like Dell who package overpriced parts and you pay an arm and a leg for something worth half the price sometimes giving people a false idea of value of PCs. It's almost like diamonds with De Beers. Diamonds are not rare and expensive. They just make them appear that way. PCs are not expensive to make. Buying them from name brand companies is.

Because everyone is tech-savvy and knows how to make their own PC using cheap but effective parts.

Oh wait, no they aren't.

My PC will be 5 years old in November, a PC whose stats should run DD perfectly according to the sys requirements, and according to people like you who say PCs outlive console generations etc. Instead, I have to run it on the smallest window size, with post-processing off, and it still lags after a couple hours of gameplay, AND lags sound, graphics, and all action outside of the window on the larger maps WITHOUT FAIL (spires, summit, and glitter).

Regardless, that price is still 3x that of a console. And the PC you use you say even cost you well over $1000.

And even MORE importantly, why the **** would we buy a PC to be able to play DD? That's spending the $15-19 we spent on the base game (depending on whether we bought the DLC), the $199+ on the console (depending on when the console was bought), and then ~$700 on making our own PC, and then another $20-$30 or so buying the game back on PC with steam sales and getting DLC. This argument that there are PCs cheaper than $1000 that can run DD is moot. Nobody is going to waste that kind of money to run a game that the console they currently own runs perfectly.

Because everyone is tech-savvy and knows how to make their own PC using cheap but effective parts.

Oh wait, no they aren't.

My PC will be 5 years old in November, a PC whose stats should run DD perfectly according to the sys requirements, and according to people like you who say PCs outlive console generations etc. Instead, I have to run it on the smallest window size, with post-processing off, and it still lags after a couple hours of gameplay, AND lags sound, graphics, and all action outside of the window on the larger maps WITHOUT FAIL. (spires, summit, and glitter).

Regardless, that price is still 3x that of a console. And the PC you use you say even cost you well over $1000.

And even MORE importantly, why the **** would we buy a PC to be able to play DD? That's spending the $15-19 we spent on the base game (depending on whether we bought the DLC), the $199+ (depending on when the console was bought), and then ~$700 on making our own PC, and then another $20-$30 or so buying the game back on PC with steam sales and getting DLC. This argument that there are PCs cheaper than $1000 that can run DD is moot. Nobody is going to waste that kind of money to run a game that the console they currently own runs perfectly.

I was waiting for the "Not everyone can build a PC" post. Because it's obviously IMPOSSIBLE to use Craig's list or friends or friends of friends to find someone who'd be willing to do it either free, or for a low cost. It takes like 15-30 mins max to get it together and to power on. SO HARD.

I said this PC cost $1400 (if even, I don't remember exactly.. it was most likely cheaper) THREE. YEARS. AGO. Half the parts are discontinued from being so old so I couldn't get you prices. Technology advances quickly. PCs get outdated fast, but that doesn't mean they don't continue to be powerful. My PC is still very powerful and still runs most games at high settings but is no where near the best today. It's not even part of the new i# series from Intel it's that old. The Video cards are like 2 generations behind. My ram is still DDR2. That PC I priced out has better ram, better processor, and a slightly under video card. It'd run it as well if not better than mine would.

You'd spend the money because you're complaining about how console games don't live up to your expectations. If you want a better gaming experience you get a better gaming machine. Expect to be disappointed with indie titles on consoles. Nothing against Trendy, but it's not in their power to make the console version nearly as good as PC. That's all there is to it.

If you're desiring every piece of content to a point of rage at Trendy for their decision, you're getting close to being a GAMER which requires money spent. If you want to game more than just the casual playing session, EXPECT to pay for what you need to achieve that. If you pay for the bare minimum (console + game) expect to get the bare minimum enjoyment out of it. Anything more is extra. If you don't want to game as a hobby, then stick with your console. Otherwise join the club and put some money into it. DD isn't the only thing that will be unlocked to play by getting a PC.

EDIT: Shop around. Talk to family. Friends. People at work.

Not an attempt to brag, but these have been sitting in my boxes now for years. They might not run DD at absolute max FPS, but they'd run it fine. I even had 2 of the one on the left and gave one to a friend like a year ago since he needed a new one. I'd love to get rid of them for free if someone needed them. I don't use them nor do I have a reason to any time in the near future. I can't be the only person in the world with old hardware sitting around that I don't use anymore. Instead of complaining how you can't do it or afford it, make an effort. SOMEONE is sure to have SOMETHING you can make use of. I even have a spare Asus A32N-SLI motherboard sitting nearby that I have no use of. This is when having nerd friends is of benefit. Don't blame Trendy because you won't make an effort beyond complaining "My console version should be exactly the same as PC no matter what the costs are to you!"

I was waiting for the "Not everyone can build a PC" post. Because it's obviously IMPOSSIBLE to use Craig's list or friends or friends of friends to find someone who'd be willing to do it either free, or for a low cost. It takes like 15-30 mins max to get it together and to power on. SO HARD.

Oh yeah, we're supposed to trust people we've never met--from Craig's list, I lol'd--with parts we bought to build us a PC :D Yeah, right, that'll get us robbed real good. And sorry I have no friends that live near me (closest is 1000 miles away), my mom (I lol'd when I previewed this and remembered that M.o.t.h.e.r is a bad word!) is an invalid and I'm required to stay with her and therefore I know nobody who can build one for me, and therefore I cannot get a job as my job is practically being her damn nurse. And it is hard when you have no idea what the crap you are doing, anything is. See how well that logic fits for everybody? Sorry, this portion of my post is a little inflammatory, more as a reaction that everyone is expected to have nerd friends (or friends in general) as well as disposable income to spend on PC components.

And paying the "bare minimum" is more a matter of personal opinion. I paid the bare minimum when I bought this PC: Everyone needs a PC in this day and age, and this one was also advertised as able to run games quite well, and it did (Granado Espada/Sword 2 being the only 3-D game I ever ran on it, as I prefer 2-D games, but it ran everything perfectly). It meets all and even exceeds a few of the system requirements listed for DD, and yet it barely runs at all. I bet with 4 player on Deeper Wells it would lag as bad solo on Summit due to the mob increase etc. I honestly can't remember how much it cost to buy as it was nearly 5 years ago, but I would say it was no more than $600-$800. And as I said, PCs are becoming much more a requirement in every household these days, so it's only natural mom and I would make sure there was money for that.

I bought more when I bought the console (well technically my net-friends bought it for me but for the sake of this argument let's say I did)--not all console games are released on PC. I don't like gaming on a PC--any game I play on a PC in the end makes me miss the first MMORPG I played and soon I'm back to 2-D graphics on a dead/dying game. Plus, hunching over a keyboard and mouse all day makes my shoulders hurt something terrible. And another plus, my TV is bigger than my monitor.

I am in no way whining that console should be as good as/better than PC. I can't remember all the comments I've ever made so I probably have in the past, but more than that I was whining about the lack of communication, which Hitmonchan has finally made goon on. I honestly dgaff about that whole PC vs. Console jazz. We aren't complaining about games in general being better on PC, we are complaining about DunDef, the game we love so much we played it more and enjoyed it more than full titles, is better on PC, and we're not all rich or computer nerds that can readily take care of the issue of needing a good enough PC to run it (not to mention many of us didn't even know a PC version existed--we didn't even find out about it until we googled "Dungeon Defenders" in an attempt to find guides etc so we could stop being such noobs thinking 3k DPS on a 21^ bonebow was epic DPS). Go ahead and say we should b*tch at Microsoft/Sony, but what is that going to get us? Nothing. What is b*tching on these forums getting us? Also nothing, and we know this. All we can do is b*tch and moan, because no matter where we do it we know in the end it will have no effect. It's called venting as I'm sure you're well aware. If you don't want to keep reading it, then don't. There's an "Add to Ignore List" option for a reason. :/

I've worked on this post for over a half hour to ensure none of it will be misconstrued as "troll bait" or spiteful or whatever, so please know I'm not trying to attack you on a personal level or anything, or trying to anger you, so I'm very sorry if I do/have.

Oh yeah, we're supposed to trust people we've never met--from Craig's list, I lol'd--with parts we bought to build us a PC :D Yeah, right, that'll get us robbed real good. And sorry I have no friends that live near me (closest is 1000 miles away), my mom (I lol'd when I previewed this and remembered that M.o.t.h.e.r is a bad word!) is an invalid and I'm required to stay with her and therefore I know nobody who can build one for me, and therefore I cannot get a job as my job is practically being her damn nurse. And it is hard when you have no idea what the crap you are doing, anything is. See how well that logic fits for everybody? Sorry, this portion of my post is a little inflammatory, more as a reaction that everyone is expected to have nerd friends (or friends in general) as well as disposable income to spend on PC components.

Sorry it doesn't apply to you, but you don't make up the majority of console players. Not everyone doesn't know anyone where they live or have family know is even slightly knowledgeable. Guess since you are unable to find anyone to do it for you, it's about time to learned if you want to be able to do something like this. Putting together a computer is quite similar to putting together a piece of Ikea furniture. They have instructions (somewhat) and the Internet is an endless resource for information on it.

And paying the "bare minimum" is more a matter of personal opinion. I paid the bare minimum when I bought this PC: Everyone needs a PC in this day and age, and this one was also advertised as able to run games quite well, and it did (Granado Espada/Sword 2 being the only 3-D game I ever ran on it, as I prefer 2-D games, but it ran everything perfectly). It meets all and even exceeds a few of the system requirements listed for DD, and yet it barely runs at all. I bet with 4 player on Deeper Wells it would lag as bad solo on Summit due to the mob increase etc. I honestly can't remember how much it cost to buy as it was nearly 5 years ago, but I would say it was no more than $600-$800. And as I said, PCs are becoming much more a requirement in every household these days, so it's only natural mom and I would make sure there was money for that.

Sounds like a video card problem. It can be replaced with less than $100 and will probably be all you need to run DD well.

I bought more when I bought the console (well technically my net-friends bought it for me but for the sake of this argument let's say I did)--not all console games are released on PC. I don't like gaming on a PC--any game I play on a PC in the end makes me miss the first MMORPG I played and soon I'm back to 2-D graphics on a dead/dying game. Plus, hunching over a keyboard and mouse all day makes my shoulders hurt something terrible. And another plus, my TV is bigger than my monitor.

If playing on a PC is bad for you, why should it be bad for everyone else too? Once again, just because you can't do it doesn't mean Trendy should throw away practical business practices to satisfy the few who don't want to or can't get a PC. Size isn't everything for screens. Most monitors will have a higher pixel count leading to higher quality graphics and viewing while most TVs will be limited to specific sizes (480, 720, 1080). If you like larger and that's the selling factor, hook your PC up to your TV. Hardware to do that generally comes cheap unless you just have nothing compatible. Many newer (and notsonewer) graphics hards have HDMI output which most newish TVs have nowadays.

I am in no way whining that console should be as good as/better than PC. I can't remember all the comments I've ever made so I probably have in the past, but more than that I was whining about the lack of communication, which Hitmonchan has finally made goon on. I honestly dgaff about that whole PC vs. Console jazz. We aren't complaining about games in general being better on PC, we are complaining about DunDef, the game we love so much we played it more and enjoyed it more than full titles, is better on PC, and we're not all rich or computer nerds that can readily take care of the issue of needing a good enough PC to run it (not to mention many of us didn't even know a PC version existed--we didn't even find out about it until we googled "Dungeon Defenders" in an attempt to find guides etc so we could stop being such noobs thinking 3k DPS on a 21^ bonebow was epic DPS). Go ahead and say we should b*tch at Microsoft/Sony, but what is that going to get us? Nothing. What is b*tching on these forums getting us? Also nothing, and we know this. All we can do is b*tch and moan, because no matter where we do it we know in the end it will have no effect. It's called venting as I'm sure you're well aware. If you don't want to keep reading it, then don't. There's an "Add to Ignore List" option for a reason. :/

All I can say to this is sorry you got more out of DD than Trendy intended and sorry you crave more. If you want to play DD in a way Trendy can support the game the most, it has to be PC. Just because a lot of people can't manage that, doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Their PC sales are higher, the platform is better, and it's easier to patch and release content for. It wouldn't make sense for them to stick with consoles and waste a lot of time, money, resources to keep them up to date. You'll get all the shard DLC for console. That's already more than was originally planned. Would you feel better if Trendy just said "**** PC, we're moving to only release on console" and then they go out of business? It's obvious they can't keep both updated at the same time, so that's the other option. If that's not what you want, then I don't know what to say. Complaining about it won't change how things work in the console world. Venting is fine, but seeing it over and over again for months and months "why does PC get stuff and we don't?!?!?" just gets old and annoying and I'm sure Trendy doesn't want so much negativity on here. I'm actually amazed they don't pressure the mods to remove a lot of the garbage content on the forums of people complaining just to complain.

You'll get all the shard DLC for console. That's already more than was originally planned.

Most of your post before this I found I had nothing to say to as you basically overrode my point that not everyone will be able to make a PC, or have the money to buy it/components to make it, or even want a better PC than what they have (such as myself as my PC runs everything I've ever needed to play just fine). You also missed the point about why I said I preferred console; it was that I prefer console to PC, regardless of the reason, which is usually why we own consoles in the first place. We only want DD in all its greatness, not every other game in history or future, so we have every right to be upset that we cannot have it because we are too poor or were unaware DD existed on PC before getting it on console. These factors are not our fault.

But this I had to respond to. They DID in fact intend to give us QftLES DLC. This is why Part 1 was released to us pre-patch, it already had the basic info coded into it (just not the new item skins).

And nobody, least of all me, ever said "**** PC, only release on console"? Instead TE is saying "**** console, they bought our game for more than the majority PC players did and PC will get all the content because we can't be assed with console patches!" There is a significant portion (and when I say significant I don't mean particularly large, but enough to be noteworthy) of buyers of DD on PC that did not even log into Trendynet. We don't ask for equal treatment as PC either, as we know by now that will never happen. But to be denied new characters? Even after they were displayed as concept art in our taverns? (And I know Hitmonchan posted the reasons for this but still.)

My problem with your post is that you seem to be insinuating that I personally am saying these things when I know I have not. I have complained, sure, I'm pretty sure every consoler that has ever visted these forums has complained their fair share. But don't talk down to me as though I'm one of the constant whiners who say childish things like that.

Random edit: 100th post! :D Thanks for giving me something to post about :p

Usually why people own consoles? I own consoles for their exclusive releases. I've owned almost every single Nintendo console and every single Sony console. I won't touch Xboxes though :P but I don't own them so I don't have to use the PC, I own them for the console exclusive games and that's it. If they were all on PC I'd have no reason to have a console. You can't say most console owners have them to avoid the PC and play games on them exclusively. Many will have both.

The fact that you said you want DD in its greatness.... then get a PC. I get that you want DD to be as good on console as PC but it just can't happen. To do so would expend more resources than Trendy could probably afford to get less back.

[quote]And nobody, least of all me, ever said "**** PC, only release on console"? Instead TE is saying "**** console, they bought our game for more than the majority PC players did and PC will get all the content because we can't be assed with console patches!" [/quote]
Again, it's not that they can't be assed. If you don't know how the patching process works, you can go look it up. Sony and Microsoft almost don't want you to patch and release updates to console games.

Also, don't get me wrong. Usually when I say "you", I mean the general population of people who think like you. It's easier to say "you people" than have to explain each time who I am talking about.

And i never said i expected all the dlc once again ur making yourself look like an ***...

I have moved on but that dont mean i cant check up in hopes they will make some console exclusive dlc..

I agree 100% Sakisan. If you tie yourself down to just a console, then you need to expect this sort of thing to happen. If you don't have the money to go out and buy a computer, then you should prolly be refraining from gaming at all, because I'm sure the console money would be better spent paying bills.

I agree 100% Sakisan. If you tie yourself down to just a console, then you need to expect this sort of thing to happen. If you don't have the money to go out and buy a computer, then you should prolly be refraining from gaming at all, because I'm sure the console money would be better spent paying bills.

Just want to bring up a point, everyone seems to complain about the premium DLC (not saying you in particular). I'll just point them in this threads direction if people complain about $2 DLC.

That's kind of an unfair thing to say. You have no idea what's going on in each and every person's personal life. Maybe at one point they could have afforded more than just a console, but now things are different and they only have that console. There's no right and wrong here. The main thing to understand is the reason why console players are getting shafted. I believe it's a bit easier to say this being on the PC side of things, but you have to take an unbiased outlook on the situation, otherwise emotions and opinions get in the way and we all what happens from there.

People have their reasons why they prefer a console to a PC.

The system you suggested might run DD, but you can't really enjoy recent games with a 19" LCD and low-end hardware. Games are GPU bound, that's why I would recommend to get at least a GTX 560 or a HD 6870.

PS: Isn't your list missing a DVD drive?

Just need to poke in. I bought a laptop for school that prices at 374. It's got a crappy i3 2.0ghz, 3 gigs of ram, and integrated hd3000 intel graphics and I play dd just fine on medium. I really hope that this ends the strange conflict that is going on here but I doubt it. THAT is comparable to the price of a console except it does everything else too.

- Sent using my TI-83

I have an AMD gaming rig and I wish I had went Intel. Intel has better technology. Any i core beats out any phenome as far as technology put into it goes. More memory per level too.

- Sent using Kung-Fu

Just want to bring up a point, everyone seems to complain about the premium DLC (not saying you in particular). I'll just point them in this threads direction if people complain about $2 DLC.

Please do, good sir. There is even less of an excuse to be complaining about $2 DLC, which is 100% optional.