Console DLC News

This is aweful. Anyone know of any good games similar to this where the company cares about their console customers so I can go buy it?

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trendy,

I first want to start off by thanking you for making such a great game. I admit for a independent developer you guys got a hell of a lot of things right and built a good base for dd2 if that is the direction you guys are going to go. I also appreciate the fact that you finally respected console players enough to give us an update about the future of content. I have put way too many hours into this game and know that I got my moneys worth and then some. I thoroughly enjoyed the dlc and may even play this game a bit more in the future. However as a consumer I am done supporting Trendy Entertainment. The fact of the matter is the console version isnt even the same game as the PC version anymore. They have recieved an over abundance of updates and additional content that we the console players will never see. I understand the console limitations and the cost of patches and such. I'm completely fine with that. My problem is that fact that you waited so long to let us know that what we were and were not getting. If you would have been upfront in a timely manner you wouldnt have this kind of backlash and that is why I am done supporting you. It boils down to this. GREAT GAME; POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Likely I just wasted 10 minutes typing this as it wont be read but if it is hopefully this will inspire you to provide better customer service in the future. Best of luck.

Dark Reign

Your exact post might not be read, but having over 175 replies to a thread within 24 hours, might move some heads. Also, considering that many many of the poster on this thread are new forum members, who signed up just to get their word out. Keep it up console gamers! The fight isn't over yet!

im with this guy, if they remove all upcoming pvp maps and work with mistymires setup for mobs 1500limit but **** so hard , like a insane+ mode. id be happy. enemies with dbl or triple hp on next dlc

After reading all 10 pages of positive and negatives comments, why not look at ways at improving the end game content within the framework of the console? I saw someone mention an insane+ mode. What would it take to increase health and damage numbers within the current framework provided in consoles? We don't need to see 3000 mobs on the screen at a time. The same numbers that can be supported currently, doing double or triple damage with 2-3 times the health would provide a substantially higher challenge for those end game players. For loot, make higher ups for Insane + challenges. Or scale the difficulty. Make hard the current insane.

We have a very passionate community who love this game. We have a lot of input. We need to come together, with Trendy, to figure out ways to improve the game. Where I think most of the frustration comes in, is a lack of belief that Trendy is committed to improving the console game. We have accepted no gender swap classes, NM mode, etc, but what CAN we do? Consoles provide the challenge of trying to fit 20 lbs of rocks into a bag that only hold 5 lbs. They simply have limits that a PC doesn't. That doesn't mean we can't come to some sort of creative solution to improve the game.

Instead of griping, complaining, let's talk about what CAN be done. If you're that mad, sorry you spent $15 and maybe $4 extra. $20 for what we were provided is more then a fair price.

Just my .02

Just to clarify here, I'm not bashing anyone, nor am I trying to belittle anyone. I get the venting, I don't get making threats or being childish. I you can't be mature, don't post.

Fact is, you paid for a product you received a product. If your argument is "I want more, it's not fair" you have no case in court. I just rang my buddy who is a lawyer in Aus and he had a good chuckle at this. However he did say the DLC false advertising has a point.

My point is, if we all didn't know PC had all this stuff, we wouldn't care about "missing out". I'm just trying to be real here, it's just a game, no one is breaking their leg or having a coffee that hot burn them.

I want this community to stick around, as I will be.

Except until the patch we still haven't received the product. A lot of the complaints have to do with not receiving what was advertised and receiving broken DLC which is now discounted.

This is aweful. Anyone know of any good games similar to this where the company cares about their console customers so I can go buy it?

If you have x-box, I like South Park Tower Defence but there is not much like this game, or orks must die, although I did not get into it. That is why its a shame with the lack of future content. Did they not see the poll a few weeks back that had the lost shards in last place for what we want?
http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?39747-DLC-wise-what-would-you-want-most

Just look only 5 out of 83 want this......

Something I'd like to know: can we do anything at all to have Trendy ship most of PC content to x-box version? Or is it just "yeah you're not getting that, sorry"?

"We didn’t think it was fair to PC players to update the PC version within the framework of console restrictions, when many of those restrictions did not exist on PC" But just leave the console support in the mud after the absolute first glimpse of the DLC is totally acceptable? And for us here in EU it has just gone a month until you decided to trash it?

I believe TE mostly did a great mistake not releasing DLC.
I dont usually complain, nor do I care about gender swaps or such. But not even getting patches to fix the game or to get the new maps..

I bought the game for pc first, but my crappy pc could not handle it. So i bought it to console. All I know at that time there was some DLC coming and we was promised it. Well its still coming but thats it. So I also got some friends to buy and start playing DD and I guess alot of you guys did. Recruiting friends and foes alike (so you could say I supported TE with about 5-6 copies in total) but with this I think alot of people will stop support TE in the future with their coming products. I surely will if they dont change the way they handle the consoles.

Classic22 said something like "you would not care about it if you did not know", that kind of thinking does NOT belong in the world of business. If I for example buy a vacuum cleaner and suddenly cannot buy new vacuum bags and complain about it being so noisy I would not get the answer "well, you need to empty the bag manually, we stopped producing bags for the red model. We thought the red one was rather silly. You should have bought the blue one, that one also got this cool feature that makes it less noisy"

Not everyone are so rich they can buy a good gaming computer.

People using analogies like vacuums and the like are making trivial points. DD is not a vacuum.

TE has made a decision made on what they can and cannot do. Does anyone here actually really think, I mean really think, that TE is out to screw over half of their customer base? If you answered yes, then I suggest you take a real good look at yourself, because you are acting like an entitled individual.

There are a lot of very valid points made in this thread in between all of the rants and otherwise.

Excuse my very long response to the news...

Trully to me DD was the single best PSN game i have played to date and defintley best of 2011. I have not found a more addictive game since Disagea or Dynasty Warriors that sucked me into it so deeply. I even kept playing long past my Platinum award. For a true trophy houd as myself, that is quite the accomplishment, and no disc based game has even pulled that off yet for me. $15 platinum to boot. This game had so very much to offer. I love tower defense games and RPGs. This gave me oodles of both, and then suddenly i discovered Huntress and was in a 3PS style shooter as well. Despite its many quirks and flaws from launch, i absolutely loved this game from ened to end.

Maybe this was part of the game's downfall in a sense. As i finished everything you could feasibly do, i was sad at the thought of no more content. I spent much time helping others get their trophies and hard to get weapons. I perfected my random drop items to the Nth level, getting bored out of my skull. Ill never do Assault again, argh! Even after getting all pets, even Spanky, Death Bot, and mutiple giraffees, i kept on playing. Even after going for as many leaderboards as i could stand, i kept going. Console events helped to stay off the boredom, if you could get it. Nothing worse then seeing someone in a random game sporting the weapon you tried all day to get and didnt...

That is why DLC and the patch are so important. It meant the promise of keeping the game alive for me yet even more. Like a bad crack addict, i cant get enough, and get angry when i cant have my next fix. Then the teasing began. With all of the PC updates and the hope of amazing content coming out, i was delighted at the thought of FPS view, new characters, holiday content, and new skins. Reading about every single patch update on PC trying to get ready for the eventual changes we all hoped we would see. TE has tried to show how great of a small compnay it can be and even opened up these fantastic forums for us to share, rant, and rave.

Here is when things went wrong. Trully TE knew that consoles were more limited than PC from the get go. Instead of addressing that fact and being upfront with it, it was buried as some special secret. Was this an attempt to get more console players before the hammer was dropped, or just poor executive decision making? Hard to tell, but i hope for the later. In all of the exchange of information between all of the players, console players were reminded way too much about what they dont have. It would have been a good idea to call DD on the consoles something like DD: Eternia Warriors or such. Something that says it is a different beast, so that we dont look at our DD...and wonder why its not like the DD others get.

Couple of tips to you Trendy:
1) Be upfront about communicating status.
- Console players begged non-stop for more info and it basically never came. if you had said from the first moment you knew that we would not get certain PC elements, we would have been much more forgiving about the fact. You burned many of us with your in the dark tactics. It was obvious too, so it only made you look very bad at its futility. I would have still galdly bought this game even if it was some special console version with reduced features. I still would today. No one likes being messed with though, and that is where you got so much heat from. Tell us right away we wont get something or that even you are unsure if it will happen. High hopes are a killer.

2) Event Items
- If you cant make this a regular thing, port the new weapons into the game somehow so anyone can get one. In fact just keep adding items all the time. As long as there is something new to get or unlock, i will stay crack out at this game trying to get it. I dont care if it has a new color or matte style or what. Just make it different in stats and name and make some weird way to get it, and i am so in.

3) The patch...
- I understand the importance of getting the patch right and getting the most out of your dollars, but the timing on the first patch was simply horrible... The major bulk of the console gaming community has reached post game and wants something to keep them in the game. The patch would have done it. If released right around new years, it would have saved you a lot of grief. Instead we are still waiting, getting bored, and either leaving outright or playing other games now. The tide is on the way out, and it did not help to get the console news as we are on the fence about it. You may want to get the most out of the single patch, but you waitied to long. You said "hit me" one too many times at the balckjack table. You should have played your hand while it was still so much more effective. After being an avid reader of the forums and mutiple websites, i am still soooooo unclear as to why the patch has been this delayed. I get why only one, but not the timing. Especially when errors like save file corruption exist. Putting a band aid on a cut with an infection does little good...

And a few ideas...

1) Console Specifc support?
- Add more trophies/achievements on DLC releases. Give out free PSN/XBLA rewards like the holiday images as free wallpapers. Advertise console events on the PSN/XBLA in some way so people know about it. Make a console Digest so we have our own news to read, and dont see any PC info unless we go there spefically. Find a way to make PvP more interesting on consoles, it is so dead there.

2) Disc?
- I would have gladly paid $60 for a disc based version of the same game i have now (with patch of course) and would have been very satisfied. Thats something to think about. A full disc based DD with all DD and extra charcters/DLC/Skins/modes... I would easily plunk down for that. Still would now.

That all being said, i do not blame or hate Trendy in any way for the events that have transpired. I chalk much of it up to being a young company and give you a Mulligan on the effort. I hope you have learned a lot form it. If it happens on your major second outing, i fear the gaming community will rise up with much more ferocity than this time. I still love the game DD so much. You guys made magic in a game. I look forward to your next outing and hope that a DD sequel is in the works someday. thank you for trying and succeeding in so many ways. I know there is much negativity going around, but i still feel overwhelming poistive about the experience as a whole. My DD plat is easily one of may faves of all time. Thank you.

your post is so well done, props. and i too would pay 60+ for a complete game
i spent 160 on disgaea3, d4 i have all current at 4$ a pop, even all batman ac around 90$

Some SAy honesty killed the caT,

^^^THIS

I don't see myself spending much more time playing DD anymore and surely doubt most other people will either. Info like this spreads like aids in a *****house.
And to think I was actually looking forward to the upcoming Character(Barbarian) dlc which has been announced never coming to console.

Oh well, good luck on your next game TE.

EDIT: Just finished reading the thread and it seems like a eulogy to the game. lol

PSN is a lot more friendly to Indie Devs than Xbox Live. A lot of the problems that Trendy is complaining about seem specific to the way Live runs its business. There are plenty of online multiplayer PS3 games with loads of after-market content, like the Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, and Gran Tourismo 5. This games get new content patched in all the time! No reason for Trendy to disappoint more than half of its user base, when it seems like only 1/3 of the market is held back (thanks to ridiculous Microsoft restrictions).

Does anyone here actually really think, I mean really think, that TE is out to screw over half of their customer base?

By half you mean 100k of 900k* users right? ;)

Last I heard this was total sales with most being pc so its a poor mans assumption 100k on console. Last we heard in november console was 50 of 500k sold.

People using analogies like vacuums and the like are making trivial points. DD is not a vacuum.

If DD was a Vacuum, it wouldn't be an analogy. You might think it's a poor analogy, but that doesn't make it trivial. That just means it's not applicable, erroneous, or illogical. Of course you're thinking that, doesn't mean it's true, it would help if you explained what you think is wrong with the analogy.

TE has made a decision made on what they can and cannot do. Does anyone here actually really think, I mean really think, that TE is out to screw over half of their customer base? If you answered yes, then I suggest you take a real good look at yourself, because you are acting like an entitled individual.

Thing is... i don't think it's half the customer base. I think it's 20% at most, and they decided they weren't going to risk not being able to sell enough copies to offset their development cost on consoles. That's fine. What is dishonest is how long they sat on this information, they absolutely intentionally "screwed over" console buyers, by withholding information and making more money off expectations they knew they could never fulfill. When you bought DD for the xbox or playstation, you weren't paying to continue development of DD for console, you paid for the development of more PC content.

PSN is a lot more friendly to Indie Devs than Xbox Live. A lot of the problems that Trendy is complaining about seem specific to the way Live runs its business. There are plenty of online multiplayer PS3 games with loads of after-market content, like the Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, and Gran Tourismo 5. This games get new content patched in all the time! No reason for Trendy to disappoint more than half of its user base, when it seems like only 1/3 of the market is held back (thanks to ridiculous Microsoft restrictions).

LBP and MNR are both 1st party so that's a moot point. Your point remains valid though. Excluding the "RAM limitations" it all sounds like XBLA and Microsoft restrictions, especially the patching issue.

Last I heard this was total sales with most being pc so its a poor mans assumption 100k on console. Last we heard in november console was 50 of 500k sold.

Doesnt matter on any level when you make any part EXPENDABLE. Its not ok, rather shady if you want my opinion they waited till after the sales of the Lost Eternia Shards DLC1/PS3/M$ online sales to tell us when they have known for a while. Dont be condescending in saying that they never meant to "Mislead" us. Again I saw this coming and I am frustrated that a game so good (day one) can just get abandoned bc its more difficult. Im sorry the console isnt the "Easy Road". Oh well the little expendable just become more insignificant and the numbers become less why dont you post the stats in the pc side. A small victory for pc yet again...

DD is not a vacuum.

Did I ever mentioning that? oh gosh, how terrible wrong of me. Did not know that. Geez, I gotta get my facts right.

LBP and MNR are both 1st party so that's a moot point. Your point remains valid though. Excluding the "RAM limitations" it all sounds like XBLA and Microsoft restrictions, especially the patching issue.

Well, I'm wondering more about DLC games that get weekly patch treatment versus an actual disc based game. What are the finances, etc. involved in the game? Really imho, a lot of this comes down to money. How much sold, how much is given to a developer, etc.

As for technical limitations, I wonder about what a more descriptive reply about what massive restructuring they're talking about for the console version which would need to be done when it comes to DLC. The OP brings this up along with patching restructuring. I can understand technical limitations though, which will keep some content off. I do find it quite silly though with responses not taking technical limitations into account.

hard to believe that this is a console limitation ordeal.. as many games before had incorporated new characters into their games on console. Not to mention, the character DLC WAS planned before the game release, as the secret room in the tavern proves as well as on pc, the characters being shadowed figures in the character select screen. If those techs have the time to set this up for pc, they had time to set it up for console.

I at one time would have appreciated the communication aspect of this post, relaying console related news, however the extensive amount of time we had to wait before being told that it wasn't planned for console, and the development team knowing this since the beginning is just confirmation of how much Trendy seriously doesn't know the importance of customer relations. So, theirfore, i am one console player who cannot say thank you for even this teeny aspect (finally communication) of this post.

You got a sale from this player on part 1 of the eternia shards dlc, but will not see for parts 2, 3, and 4. I spent lots of time on this game and it was worth 15 dollars easily in core gameplay (even with the bugs and horrible implementation of a "survival" mode.) The new characters would have been much more worthwhile then the eternia shards tho.

You won't see me on here until after Tales of Graces F, coming out on march 13th, is beaten. I will hop on to see if anything changes regarding the heros at that time.

good luck keeping a console fanbase with this news

If DD was a Vacuum, it wouldn't be an analogy. You might think it's a poor analogy, but that doesn't make it trivial. That just means it's not applicable, erroneous, or illogical. Of course you're thinking that, doesn't mean it's true, it would help if you explained what you think is wrong with the analogy.

What? If DD was a vacuum? Can you miss my point anymore than what you did?

When you bought DD for the xbox or playstation, you weren't paying to continue development of DD for console, you paid for the development of more PC content.

You have to be kidding? Are you serious?

When you payed for the game you payed for a product which you received and used. I can not believe the ridiculousness of that part of your post. No offense.

Way to miss the point, champ. I guess it's ok for you now isn't it? You act like console players who the majority payed full price aren't equally as important as the $2 jobs that make up the PC community.

I'm going to sound like a complete jerk right now but after reading so many posts i have noticed that many people are completly acting like idiots. The average iQ is around 100 percent yet most are still acting like far below average. i think that some of you need to cut slack to the actual people who fought for you. Think about it they even stated in their main message that it took a while to rule us out. I'm a console play with a actual business sense and i can completly see their benefit to what they are saying. Mabye in some time they will release their second hit and be able to supply more incoming benefits. I for one am actually proud that these people Trendy in some sense know what it is to make sacrifices for the good of people but also know what to do to keep them a float.
Also for the people who talked about the lawsuit was in the complete wrong. Think about it did you sign anything. THey never entered a verbal agreement with any of us. They did everything for you for the better ment for us.
Wake up from this dellusional world that you live in. Because the world doesn't revolve around any single person and this is coming from a complete narsisus.
Thank you trendy for all of you support that you have been giving to us. Those console events were a great idea and fun eventhough i only got into one. I hope in the new future i could gladly work for a company that has some selfrespect and intelligence that they know what is going on.
If you would like to argue against some things i said i will gladly take the time in my PM to answer and ?'s you have. Also i will gladly take that time and explain why these are my views.

Good luck Classic and Finally on your incredible journey and your wars that you will face entering these people who don't understand research.

hard to believe that this is a console limitation ordeal.. as many games before had incorporated new characters into their games on console. Not to mention, the character DLC WAS planned before the game release, as the secret room in the tavern proves as well as on pc, the characters being shadowed figures in the character select screen. If those techs have the time to set this up for pc, they had time to set it up for console.

I at one time would have appreciated the communication aspect of this post, relaying console related news, however the extensive amount of time we had to wait before being told that it wasn't planned for console, and the development team knowing this since the beginning is just confirmation of how much Trendy seriously doesn't know the importance of customer relations. So, theirfore, i am one console player who cannot say thank you for even this teeny aspect (finally communication) of this post.

You got a sale from this player on part 1 of the eternia shards dlc, but will not see for parts 2, 3, and 4. I spent lots of time on this game and it was worth 15 dollars easily in core gameplay (even with the bugs and horrible implementation of a "survival" mode.) The new characters would have been much more worthwhile then the eternia shards tho.

You won't see me on here until after Tales of Graces F, coming out on march 13th, is beaten. I will hop on to see if anything changes regarding the heros at that time.

good luck keeping a console fanbase with this news

Why would it be hard to believe that there isn't some console limitations?

First off, I'll admit I'm more of a PC gamer than a console gamer, albeit I consider myself a gamer first before going into any classifications. I own Dungeon Defenders for both the PC and XBox 360, albeit due to the overwhelming amount of cheating, I regret getting it for the XBox rather than the PS3. I enjoyed it on the PC, but due to knowing more people who play this on the XBox, I repurchased it to play it there. I also admit I have a fairly high end computer, so I really can't begin to comprehend what several other people experience with slowdowns, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, the XBox Live service has a 2 GB limitation. Immediately this would present a problem as DD on the PC is almost 3 GB in size. But, I assume you could shrink it by a large scale reduction in multimedia quality (textures, models, video, audio, etc.).

RAM is obviously a limiting factor. Play a game such as Dragon Age Origins on the PC versus the console. On the console, the battles come in waves. On the PC, all the enemies come at once. That's closer to a Tower Defense Game such as DD. Yes, it works on the consoles, but when I switch back to my PC, I do tend to notice how much smoother the game runs, especially in more hectic scenes.

New characters even have their own logistical problems. How do you treat gamers who don't have those characters? Some games just don't allow mixtures of non DLC with DLC, and some games such as Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, have default place holders, but it still takes away from the experience.

Now, I understand the next paragraph will be seen as flamebait, but I don't really intend it to be. Being mainly a PC gamer, I can sympathize with the situation of being treated as a second class citizen in terms of the game, but I can't sympthasize with the community on the issue. No offense, but PC gamers have often had to deal with such issues that are being discussed above. (And previous posters bringing up Call of Duty in previous posts is hardly the ideal game for a comparison on fairness.)

I guess I just fall into the category of would it really have been such a big deal had the console community been unaware? I certainly agree though that more transparency and communication was needed.

Guys listen, I am just as disappointed as everyone else. But quiting the game and not buying the confirmed additional DLC on consoles will only validate the developers choice to ignore consoles. If you want more content on consoles, you should continue to buy console DLC. Big console sales on DLC will likely convinvce Trendy that they should invest more into consoles and develop more content for consoles.

The problem is, I've seen most people say the Eternia Shards DLC is horrible. I don't like Mistymire one bit. Those spiders take away any possible enjoyment from that map for me. Spiders web should slow you down to maybe 50%, but trying to kill an Ogre when I'm basically at a crawl isn't fun. I would like to support them, if I felt it was worth it. I'm not just going to buy DLC I don't care about just to support them, though. That's a bit silly. What I really wanted was new classes, Nightmare mode, and super loot.

The problem is, I've seen most people say the Eternia Shards DLC is horrible. I don't like Mistymire one bit. Those spiders take away any possible enjoyment from that map for me. Spiders web should slow you down to maybe 50%, but trying to kill an Ogre when I'm basically at a crawl isn't fun. I would like to support them, if I felt it was worth it. I'm not just going to buy DLC I don't care about just to support them, though. That's a bit silly. What I really wanted was new classes, Nightmare mode, and super loot.

I played the dlc and it made the game fun again it was worth buying. poeple are just mad because there not getting everything they wanted they just cant be happy wiht something little. atleast they gave us something instead of nothing.

I played the dlc and it made the game fun again it was worth buying. poeple are just mad because there not getting everything they wanted they just cant be happy wiht something little. atleast they gave us something instead of nothing.
DLC 1 is not worth buying until they patch it. Challenge items disappear and the current items aren't even the ones that are suppose to drop... So honestly, no i can't say it's better then nothing.