Console DLC News

[quote]When we were making Dungeon Defenders, we knew we wanted to make DLC. At the same time, we couldn’t afford to pretend Dungeon Defenders was going to be Minecraft (or hell, even Magicka) when it released. [COLOR="[[1115,hashtags]]"]*1 We couldn’t dedicate our small tech team (3 people!) to spend a large chunk of precious development time on DLC when we still had a lot of work to do on the core game.[/COLOR]

So instead, we planned for DLC around these limitations(/refer to *1). That’s where the idea of the Quests for the Lost Eternia Shards originated -- new cinematics, new maps, new bosses, new items and new pets. We knew each of these would require a patch to add in the latter two features (as well as whatever new functions we would like the challenge missions and levels to have), and we knew those patches would cost money, but we accepted that. We made sure to add functionality for the first of these packs into the game, so the first DLC would release in a timely matter, and then(the plan was to include the first dlc as they knew vanilla version of the game will run fine on it, but content of the subsquent release was not promised, this whole thing was planned from the begining) started going through the exciting process that is console certification.

While the completed console versions were in the certification process, it hit us... Halloween was around the corner. And then there was Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas... and more! Jeremy and I had a discussion, and we made, what we already knew was going to be an unpopular decision, to treat the PC version as a different SKU(for ppl who doesn't know what SKU mean, they basically said that treating console version of the game as a different PRODUCT as the PC version, note is not a version issue, but the end result of both products will be completely different.) from the console game and create holiday events which were not compatible with the final console versions. We didn’t think it was fair to PC players to update the PC version within the framework of console restrictions, when many of those restrictions did not exist on PC. At the same time we created console events, which was our way of giving back to the console community within the framework we could operate in.

[/quote]

Guys, just stop arguing, it is not hard to understand what's going on atm, if you will read the original post and think about it.
They've made their business decision to give up on the console product due to that the product was not as profitable as the PC version. (Can't even pay off for new interns to code for any extra contents that was released on PC)
They've gave up on the console crowd and will leave the product as is, after the 4 DLCs which was planned in this product's life cycle.
And this thread here is just to ask for forgiveness after a harsh decision, and hope for our future support. Rather or not you are willing to forgive them, is your choice. For the PC crowd who thinks they are getting the better end, just think about what will happen if they decide to make a new project and thinks that DD is not profitable anymore, I doubt you will be getting much updates then. Lastly, bashing at each other is not the answer to this question, just keep the discussion clean please.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you screaming children had any clue about how much of a pain it is to work with publishers you wouldn't be as horrifically rude to these Devs. You guys are ignorant children.

You want someone to blame? Look no further than the restrictions set forth by the big M and big S. Sony and Microsoft REQUIRE that all content pass their tests in order for said content to ever see the light of day. This is just how things are, and you people complaining and blaming Trendy need to shut your mouths and learn a thing or two about how the industry works before you point the blame.

The same thing happened to TF2 as well, that game was left dead in the water on the consoles for the very same reasons.

Be happy DD ever came to consoles at all, you could have had nothing.

If any of you screaming children had any clue about how much of a pain it is to work with publishers you wouldn't be as horrifically rude to these Devs. You guys are ignorant children.

You want someone to blame? Look no further than the restrictions set forth by the big M and big S. Sony and Microsoft REQUIRE that all content pass their tests in order for said content to ever see the light of day. This is just how things are, and you people complaining and blaming Trendy need to shut your mouths and learn a thing or two about how the industry works before you point the blame.

The same thing happened to TF2 as well, that game was left dead in the water on the consoles for the very same reasons.

Be happy DD ever came to consoles at all, you could have had nothing.

The verification process is for quality assurance, making sure the product that is going to be release meets specific requirements as other standardize products that are in the market. QA plays a big part in programing life cycle, and it costs most in a project, that's why it is important to write stable code and make sure the product that got released passes the QA.

If M$ and Sony does not enforce QA, then you will have buggy games everywhere on the console.

Please get your fact straight before you take a side.

Yeah i'm not exactly sure how this works but i love this game.

So my question is this.

Why cant you release your patches In the QftLES DLCs so that when you buy the new maps you also get additional content? I just got this game about 2 - 3 days ago and bought the first DLC right away after watching Kootra play it. So if it had some additional content on it then that would be awesome. my friends already cant join my games if they don't have the DLC.

But since i didn't play the game on day 1 i still enjoy it for now. I also knows how it feels as well. Its like getting a new job with another friend. you both are promised the same pay. but finds out that he makes more money than you. it just feels sad knowing that i have already almost done everything on it and no extra perks will arrive with it.

PS: [QUOTE]Be happy DD ever came to consoles at all, you could have had nothing.[/QUOTE]

Well if you WANT to go about that then the answer would be this. DONT release it on the console. we would have never known about it and there fore most people wouldn't get upset or mad over this fact. the PROBLEM IS that console gamers were shown things and it was taken away from us and now we get just the maps. ((I'll still be getting these btw >.<))

A better example you walk down the street and there is a building in the window you see this awesome product with amazing features you walk in and buy it then find out that half of the features don't exist.

I love the game BTW i will be playing it so chill brah~

As apposed to you walked down the street there was nothing there and you keep walking... :kobold:

Looks like someone can't post within the rules aye? Wish I could show everyone how many posts have been deleted. This thread would have a few more pages.

So I'm done with these forums then. There were many points in that post worth discussing, and I'm not going to write this walltext once again. Secondly that's true, didn't read the rules, but I find my posts fairly pleasant, but still acceptable.

Farewell DD community

^^ Good suggestion.

So I'm done with these forums then. There were many points in that post worth discussing, and I'm not going to write this walltext once again.

Farewell DD community

Oh well. Should have read the rules sorry.

Edit: that post was informative though. PM me and we can discuss editing it back in, with changes obviously.

Trolling? Never. I neither overly favor or hate any platform for DD. I only play PC because that is my primary gaming platform as mentioned before. Had it been console instead then I'd be replying no different. Don't assume you're special because I post here and reply to you :p I give equal treatment to PC players whining and crying that a patch was 1 day late. I only started posting in this thread because I saw a lot of problems with the arguments some were making. If I went and bought the console version right now would I finally be welcome here? My thoughts are no simply because you don't like what I have to say, not because of what platform I play on. The people insulting the platform have just degraded to the lowest possible form of arguing.

sorry i dont understand please make me because u said u only play on PC and u came here to complain about a complain... just want to point out that ur not experiencing what we are experiencing soulman has been a console DD fan since release. i mean i never even see u in this section.

sorry i dont understand please make me because u said u only play on PC and u came here to complain about a complain... just want to point out that ur not experiencing what we are experiencing soulman has been a console DD fan since release. i mean i never even see u in this section.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in as it seemed people were getting upset for the wrong reasons or did not know the full story. Was never an intent to cause disruptions, but people took to insulting and getting offended simply because I happen to play the PC version. Which version I play doesn't affect how I think though which was the only reason I posted here. I played before all the DLC so I played the same exact version you do now so I know how it is and can understand the situation. What I didn't understand is why so much hostility towards Trendy. As a developer myself I know how it can be so thought I'd share in hopes to maybe help one or two people understand. Helping even one person understand makes the message worth it. Some resorted to insults and calling me a PC elitist. I know empathy is a hard thing to imagine in the realm of the internet, but some are capable of it.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in as it seemed people were getting upset for the wrong reasons or did not know the full story. Was never an intent to cause disruptions, but people took to insulting and getting offended simply because I happen to play the PC version. Which version I play doesn't affect how I think though which was the only reason I posted here. I played before all the DLC so I played the same exact version you do now so I know how it is and can understand the situation. What I didn't understand is why so much hostility towards Trendy. As a developer myself I know how it can be so thought I'd share in hopes to maybe help one or two people understand. Helping even one person understand makes the message worth it. Some resorted to insults and calling me a PC elitist. I know empathy is a hard thing to imagine in the realm of the internet, but some are capable of it.

Thanks for the sincere post Saki. It's good to know that others outside the console community care.

In one week this is the second most viewed/posted thread, Epic Fail/Win (Console Events). That post initially started 3 months ago will TE please wake up and see that the community does care? We have even acquired sympathy/troll posts from pc players surely there is a way to make $ and make the community happy?

In one week this is the second most viewed/posted thread, Epic Fail/Win (Console Events). That post initially started 3 months ago will TE please wake up and see that the community does care? We have even acquired sympathy/troll posts from pc players surely there is a way to make $ and make the community happy?

Time for TE to release DD2: the catchup

Basically the same game with all the PC content included. Price? $20, that's roughly how much PC players have had to pay for the extra stuff.

Anyone with me?

still pretty new to DD but really ready for sum very creative DLC to come out...i like the game dont get me wrong becuz i do but its time for sum new material to play with....ya know maybe sum skins for your char an wut not jus so as though you an your party dont all look the same....but aside from that fact its a great game multiple hours of endless replay value oh yea....maybe sum more char slots would do to instead of jus having only 8 char allowed jus tips to help out

I will see your 20 and raise you to $60 Ummm I meant $40 gotta slowplay the pot, dont want to go "All in" just yet but it would definitely have my attention.

I'll call your 40$.

i really want that barbarian :'(

$40 is far too much. Just because we are happy to pay that much, doesn't mean our less fortunate friends can. :(

Couldn't they just add all the extras in a eternia shard dlc and make it cost a little more since it only cost 320mp for the fisrt so why they do 640mp or 800mp i dont care as long as i get the content im happy:wyvern:

Honestly...I love the console version because numerous reasons including reduced stats. but I hate the PC version because even on a computer with 3gigs of ram, dedicated video card, and everything brand new from 2012; It still runs like sh-t. Seriously it runs super slow and lags like a f--k. My gamecube emulator runs faster than that! Seriously you guys disappointed ALOT of players and are basically saying "Fk you guys, if you want the new content, buy the pc version and waste more money on us." I wasted $20 on the PC version thinking it would be better and sadly it wasnt. so if theres any way I can get a refund. That'd be great.

Honestly...I love the console version because numerous reasons including reduced stats. but I hate the PC version because even on a computer with 3gigs of ram, dedicated video card, and everything brand new from 2012; It still runs like sh-t. Seriously it runs super slow and lags like a f--k. My gamecube emulator runs faster than that! Seriously you guys disappointed ALOT of players and are basically saying "Fk you guys, if you want the new content, buy the pc version and waste more money on us." I wasted $20 on the PC version thinking it would be better and sadly it wasnt. so if theres any way I can get a refund. That'd be great.

Sounds like you should probably take this to the technical problems forums, as any computer from the past 5 years should have no problem running this game. Heck, I can run this game a solid 60 fps @ 2560x1440 (equivilant to 1440p if it was a TV) on a 2 year old computer (iMac via bootcamp) with every option on (game doesn't go above 62 fps).

Basically the same game with all the PC content included. Price? $20, that's roughly how much PC players have had to pay for the extra stuff.

Anyone with me?

I was upset at first but than i started to play again and forgot about it. but i am all for DD2 if it mean i can dual wield with the barbarian that all i want. better yet what happen to dd for ps vita is it still coming out and will it allow me to bring my guy to the vita back to ps3?

I was upset at first but than i started to play again and forgot about it. but i am all for DD2 if it mean i can dual wield with the barbarian that all i want. better yet what happen to dd for ps vita is it still coming out and will it allow me to bring my guy to the vita back to ps3?

From my understanding yes. The PS3 and Vita will use the same "cloud" saves so you can pick up where you left off on either system.... but with how everything keeps splitting even further and further... I'm not so sure anymore. I'm almost expecting the PSVita version to be different enough from the PS3 version that they won't have swappable saves.

From my understanding yes. The PS3 and Vita will use the same "cloud" saves so you can pick up where you left off on either system.... but with how everything keeps splitting even further and further... I'm not so sure anymore. I'm almost expecting the PSVita version to be different enough from the PS3 version that they won't have swappable saves.

Yea that what i am fearing is that PSVita might have too much of a different to the ps3 that they might not be swappable like it was first said. ex:PSVita might allow transfer of character from the ps3. But will not allow the PSVita save transfer back. Hope that is not the case.

Anyone with me?

Awesome idea, where can I pre-order!

Anyone with me?

im down for that or even if they want to put it on a disk and sell it like that i would be down for. ive bought a few goty edition and had all the downloadable content on disk. seems like a win win. no need to worry about the whole xbl "download every update to date" and small update file size.

Anyone with me?

As awesome an idea as this, even those saying to put it on a disc, I highly doubt this is feasible.

The problem arises when you have content that only those who pay for are getting, specifically bug fixes.
Trendy cannot, in good faith, offer something like this and charge for it.

It is the same reason why Trendy can't put patches with the DLC.