DunDef Digest 1/18/2012 Discussion Thread

I know about the process and all the technical stuff with patching for console as do a lot of the console community. All we want is communication and information on what's happening and were we stand with everything.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also patching for consoles tends to be a lot more hassle then on pc (having to deal with certification etc), thus they are less frequent.
Also you have to pay for patches, i think the first one is free on xbox, and on ps3 they are free as long as you add new content along them.

Though they can be a lot more open about what the patches will contain.

I said we know enough of the patching difficulty already. So people please stop bringing it up. You're just beating a dead horse.

Also, TE said that with every Eternia Shards DLC there will be an accompanying patch to make the content function, so, there you go. Not that that means anything right now considering our patch probably won't hit until March, if ever, but whatever. That is what they've said on the matter so at least they intend to release more than just the single free patch.

Was hoping/expecting to see the Barb's also be able to have shields involved on the other hand, or have 'big weapons' that need both hands.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to this update.

I said we know enough of the patching difficulty already. So people please stop bringing it up. You're just beating a dead horse.

And yet, you really don't seem to know enough at all, because you all keep *****ing at Trendy like they have any control whatsoever. I can't speak to Sony's process, but here's what I know about MS.

There was a column in a magazine called Edge a few years back called Yak's Progress, where legendary game developer Jeff Minter talked about his experiences building a game for XBLA. At one point, it took Microsoft 2 weeks to respond with the fact that he'd put Xbox Live instead of Xbox LIVE in a couple of places. So he had to make those changes and resubmit. Cue waiting another week for feedback that he'd omitted the names of 2 testers in his credits. So, changed that, resubmit, wait another week for the next feedback.

I don't think you do actually understand the difficulty of patching consoles.With a PC patch, they just say "here it is", and if there are bugs, they can say "Oh, there was a bug, here's a fix" a few hours later, if required. With a console, MS have total control over when, how and if the patch gets released.

See where I'm going with this? Trendy could be turning around every single request in a matter of minutes. The bottleneck is likely to MS. And since they have no control over how long MS takes to review a patch, or what changes might be required, then they cannot in all honesty, give a launch date for the patch. They might know they submitted it a week ago. But will they get an answer today? Tomorrow? Will there be changes required?

So, it's not flogging a dead horse. It's simply trying to explain to you whiners that actually, scream all you like, but that is likely the main reason for the delay, and also why they can't tell you exactly when it'll be out.

You must think we are stupid to post that. Thanks again to the PC elite. Sorry us "whiners" aren't as cool as you guys.

Has TE submitted a patch or any of the other DLC that PC has got? Have they even tried?

IMHO (so you're welcome to ignore me), it's nothing to do with PC players being "Elitist" or snobby. Console players just need to manage their expectations better, as console games are never going to see the level of modding or "DLC" that PC games do.

The fact, as covered earlier in the thread, is that the PC as a platform is less hassle to develop for, and that's reflected in the amount and quality of the downloadable content being made available.

I think we sometimes forget that short of producing a working game and fixing bugs, TE don't actually owe us a damn thing - irrespective of platform.

Just my thoughts.

And yet, you really don't seem to know enough at all, because you all keep *****ing at Trendy like they have any control whatsoever. I can't speak to Sony's process, but here's what I know about MS.

There was a column in a magazine called Edge a few years back called Yak's Progress, where legendary game developer Jeff Minter talked about his experiences building a game for XBLA. At one point, it took Microsoft 2 weeks to respond with the fact that he'd put Xbox Live instead of Xbox LIVE in a couple of places. So he had to make those changes and resubmit. Cue waiting another week for feedback that he'd omitted the names of 2 testers in his credits. So, changed that, resubmit, wait another week for the next feedback.

I don't think you do actually understand the difficulty of patching consoles.With a PC patch, they just say "here it is", and if there are bugs, they can say "Oh, there was a bug, here's a fix" a few hours later, if required. With a console, MS have total control over when, how and if the patch gets released.

See where I'm going with this? Trendy could be turning around every single request in a matter of minutes. The bottleneck is likely to MS. And since they have no control over how long MS takes to review a patch, or what changes might be required, then they cannot in all honesty, give a launch date for the patch. They might know they submitted it a week ago. But will they get an answer today? Tomorrow? Will there be changes required?

So, it's not flogging a dead horse. It's simply trying to explain to you whiners that actually, scream all you like, but that is likely the main reason for the delay, and also why they can't tell you exactly when it'll be out.

At least we don't whine about Nerfing and turning the spiders into Pink fluffy balls of love . Grow up and don't poke your blunt nose into console matters

You have a my little pony avatar. You're in no position to call anything pathetic. Grow up you moron.

Excuse me? I make a blanket statement about console players and you personally attack me and my lifestyle? Well please, tell me how I should live my life since you clearly know me better than I know myself.

I have no sympathy for console players complaining because you have dug yourself into a hole that you can't get out of, and then you refuse a ladder out, then you complain about it. You chose the console over the PC. You refuse to switch over to the game with the updates. And after all that, you know that Trendy are slow with updating the console, and you know they will eventually patch, and you are still getting the core chunks of DLC. Yet every 5 minutes its a thread asking when the patch is coming, or complaining about the console service. We know the reasons, we know what is coming, you chose the lesser service, now shut up and deal with it.

Excuse me? I make a blanket statement about console players and you personally attack me and my lifestyle? Well please, tell me how I should live my life since you clearly know me better than I know myself.

I have no sympathy for console players complaining because you have dug yourself into a hole that you can't get out of, and then you refuse a ladder out, then you complain about it. You chose the console over the PC. You refuse to switch over to the game with the updates. And after all that, you know that Trendy are slow with updating the console, and you know they will eventually patch, and you are still getting the core chunks of DLC. Yet every 5 minutes its a thread asking when the patch is coming, or complaining about the console service. We know the reasons, we know what is coming, you chose the lesser service, now shut up and deal with it.

Wait...I thought I bought the exact same game that was on PC months ago and we should spend more money on a game we already own? Oh wait...

My little pony on disney today!...best season ever. Its got nerfed spiders in it!

the problem really is that it seems like trendy didn't even try to submit patches/ more dlcs so far. it's not the point that it takes so long or costs too much or anything, it's the lack of information. but well i didn't expect any this week cause they already said alst week they are all on a trip. hopefully we will have concrete informations regarding the patch next digest (which btw is the last on in january.)

and again, why trendy don't you offer us the extra maps and stuff as dlc for money? lot of us console gamers would buy that, I'm pretty sure about that. But well i could be wrong, you have the concrete numbers, but if you decided you won't submit some of the stuff as dlc then tell us so.

Wow we have to pay for the barbarian, rly? thats stupid, i already bougth the complete dlc that is supose to have the new chars included(new chars with new towers like TE say).

Personally I'm hoping the DLC the Barbarian comes in will be similar to the original Hero Pack (AKA the genderbents), and they'll just update it with a new player as they go. Usually I don't complain too much on DD, but come on Trendy, 1 DLC for 1 Hero is gonna swiftly turn ya similar to Sanctum's DLC ideas >,>;

IMHO (so you're welcome to ignore me), it's nothing to do with PC players being "Elitist" or snobby. Console players just need to manage their expectations better, as console games are never going to see the level of modding or "DLC" that PC games do.

The fact, as covered earlier in the thread, is that the PC as a platform is less hassle to develop for, and that's reflected in the amount and quality of the downloadable content being made available.

I think we sometimes forget that short of producing a working game and fixing bugs, TE don't actually owe us a damn thing - irrespective of platform.

Just my thoughts.
We could manage our expectation if we were kept in the loop on what happening. Everyone knows about the PC vs Console patching most of us before we bought Dungeon Defenders knew this its not like this has happened before. A company does not owe its customers anything what kind of mess is that. We brought a product with expectations of dlc not as fast as PC but dlc none the less and are eager to pay for that dlc to help this company profitable and they don't owe us nothing. I highly doubt trendy feels that way.

but come on Trendy, 1 DLC for 1 Hero

Not even close to that, we all DD owner have already the barbarian, we have to pay for TE to unlock it, same with the others heros.

There is no point in arguing with them, you'll get better results in explaining things to a brick wall. People made the poor decision to spend $15 on a console game, and then get upset when it doesn't get the same support as PC. Then when it's explained to them how/why they made a mistake they get even more upset because surly their almighty console can't be screwing them over.

And as far as "PC elite" goes, label us that if you'd like, but the fact is we have every right in the world to act elitist. We had the foresight to purchase the game on a platform that the devs would be able to support very easily. If you chose to purchase this $15, INDY game on a console well then you're getting what you deserve. Next time something comes out that interests you keep this experience in mind.

You must think we are stupid to post that. Thanks again to the PC elite. Sorry us "whiners" aren't as cool as you guys.

Has TE submitted a patch or any of the other DLC that PC has got? Have they even tried?

Well, you said it, not me.
It's got nothing to do with being cool or being stupid. You guys complain a LOT about how the console is unloved. I'm just trying to explain that even with the best will in the world, Trendy can't give you a date for release, because they have no idea what MS will come back with next, or when. It might be an all clear later today, or it might be a long list of little things in a week. So to say "Tell us more" and then to complain when they don't is, well, a waste of everyone's time.

At least we don't whine about Nerfing and turning the spiders into Pink fluffy balls of love . Grow up and don't poke your blunt nose into console matters

This is my second post. My first was the one you replied to. I haven't complained about spiders, or nerfing. I might be in the minority, but I quite like the spiders. I like how I can't sleep through a level, and have to actively participate. And I'm not sure how trying to share a real example of another dev who suffered at the hands of the console guys requires me to grow up, but ok. I'm sorry. I was just trying to explain that really, seriously, they're not ignoring you. They just don't know. And in many cases it's better to remain silent, than give a date and disappoint further.

And I have a very pointy nose, actually. Although how that's relevant is beyond me.

I'm kinda done here, though, so if you kids want to continue to complain instead of just accepting what blocks are in place and living graciously with them, knock yourself out. But your time might be better spent complaining to Sony and MS about their policies...

Hmm.. another arguement between console players and pc users.

As previously said pc gamers, quit butting into consoles business. We know it's slow to patch and DLC to the console community. we are not idiots. We want information first. They can't give us information u say? Then what the hell are they doing still patching pc weekly? Why are the devs still releasing random dlc to PC?

Also.. we should have known what we were getting into when we got the console version? What about the several advertisements of cross-compatibility? How can we know console would be a 100% different game when we are promised that pc and console will be able to play with each other? I'm personally not pissed off about the cross compatibility issue, but at launch date we can only assume that everything released for one platform will be delayed and released for ALL platforms as to not interrupt cross-platform play.

And we know for damn sure now we aren't getting the same ****. But after a month of lacking communication, and finally finding out that pc patches and dlc are going to be completely different and hold so much more data, we may come to the conclusion we SHOULD have bought the pc version. But who the hell wants to pay twice the money and the time into the game just to catch up to where they were in console version, and still be far behind the rest of the new community.

It's also been previously stated about the barbarian in another recent digest. After thousands of damn threads and inquiries asking about console, we get this digest FINALLY telling us upsetting news, which in turn leads to pc getting more **** that we expected to get ourselves as well. Hell, why would they leave the character portraits in the secret room?

I hate to stereotype pc users, but we don't butt into your business. We direct all our comments, pleased or frustrated, directly at Trendy. Why? Because it's simply not the pc communitys fault that we are screwed. It's trendys. I have much more respect for a quiet indie company who releases a game for 5-10 dollars worth 4-5 hours of gameplay than a strong supportive indie company who prices their game at 15 dollars worth 200+ hours of gameplay but 100% discriminates it's community's. I also have 0, none, nada respect for someone who has to involve themselves in everyone else's affairs.

I had defended Trendy for far too long. The lack of communication has gotten outta hand. And for the previous comments regarding the definitions of sliver and end: Quit splitting hairs. We haven't gotten barely any information.. and with regards to the end of the month, we are definitely nearing it. The patch if released today, will more than likely not reach xbox until february. And for details we are still expected not to be informed for another week puts us at a patch release towards the beginning of february. If it's first submission for approval hits the next month, then we have yet again been misinformed.

Classic.. your a cool guy.. and i expect you or another moderator will edit this sentence and possibly temp/perma ban me from this forum, but i cannot care any longer.

Hi, I have a question about the Digest regarding the description given for the Mistymire Console Event.
So does the event literally mean that you and a team of other players will be facing against a team of trendy dev(s) co-operating with normal enemies? So is it like 3 vs normal creeps+dev helping enemies? Sorry, I may be over thinking this a bit much. Some Insight or explanation would be much appreciated

They haven't even submitted one patch and why would I give them more money? If this were true w pc then what? You wouldnt have anybody to look down on. It would be one thing to say we have been submitting patches, still in process, but no its this new DLC for pc, Patch Notes for pc, new skins for pc, and a kinda well, be patient wait for something you will prob never get consolers you paid 15$ just like pc. We are asking for a patch ONE patch. If you think we are getting the core chunks of DLC you need to wake up and read a little better we have one broken dlc???? Its been out for a month filled w bugs, glitches, if we complete the challenge our reward vanishes when we reboot, we have temporary weapons (not even new skins btw)that drop from the Spider Queen. I could go on. The point if not all the dlc and support that pc gets, more on a REGULAR basis communication from TRENDY. I dont expect pc to understand or sympathize w me or the console players.

I'm a console player, and like you taking offense to someone attacking you, I take offense to your attack on me.

1. "I chose the console over the PC" - I chose to download the demo after seeing it on the XBOX website, enjoyed it, and purchased the full game. Call it misinformed, but I was never given the pros and cons of Console vs. PC.

2. "You refuse to switch over to the game with the updates". - I have thought about making a switch, but based on my current situation, the console is what I'll be playing on.

3. "...You know that Trendy are slow with updating the console" - I did not know this ahead of time, learning this was a result of time passing and no patches.

4. "...and you know they will eventually patch" - Do I? People are making a lot of assumptions, based on their past experiences, work backgrounds, and what they have heard or read.

5. "...and you are still getting core chunks of DLC" - We received one DLC with 3 maps(campaign, challenge, pvp), and the challenge reward is currently broken.

6. "We know the reasons" - I'm not really interested in your reason, I'd prefer to get an official statement from Trendy.

7. "We know what is coming" - See my response in #4 above

8. "You chose the lesser service, now shut up and deal with it" - See my response in #1 above

I think we can both agree that PC and Console users don't see eye to eye when it comes to this game. I'm glad the PC gamers have the content that's out there, but don't bash the Console gamers for wanting more out of the game than they currently have. I, as many of the other gamers on this forum, would like to see an official statement from Trendy regarding the state of console play. Good or bad, it's the only information that matters.

As someone who plays both PC and Xbox: STFU EVERYONE

@PC players: You need to realize that for various reasons console players cannot play the PC version, so consoles are more accessible. Consoles are cheaper, more easier to come by, and as a last resort more easier to convince someone to buy as a present. All they want is to be on equal grounds with the PC content.

@Console players: Quit whining, its only making the console community look like brats. You should really give credit to Trendy for actually trying to work on a patch, and they're an indie developer. Look at other companies in similar function: Valve/Team Fortress 2 - Abandoned; Sega/Phantasy Star Universe - Almost 2 years behind its PC counterpart. I'm not even going to mention Capcom's BS recent strategies, but if big name companies such as those mentioned can't maintain their console versions then it shows that there's some bottlenecking preventing consoles to be updated as often as PC.

As someone who plays both PC and Xbox: STFU EVERYONE

@PC players: You need to realize that for various reasons console players cannot play the PC version, so consoles are more accessible. Consoles are cheaper, more easier to come by, and as a last resort more easier to convince someone to buy as a present. All they want is to be on equal grounds with the PC content.

@Console players: Quit whining, its only making the console community look like brats. You should really give credit to Trendy for actually trying to work on a patch, and they're an indie developer. Look at other companies in similar function: Valve/Team Fortress 2 - Abandoned; Sega/Phantasy Star Universe - Almost 2 years behind its PC counterpart. I'm not even going to mention Capcom's BS recent strategies, but if big name companies such as those mentioned can't maintain their console versions then it shows that there's some bottlenecking preventing consoles to be updated as often as PC.

I dont care about those games only care about this one most of the people on consoles would agree that communication is lacking. While you cant make everyone happy you can inform your customer.

I said if we weren't getting the new heroes I was done spending money on this game and unfortunately, that is the case. Every week Console fans check the Digest in anticipation of some good news. But not once have we received it. Instead we are greeted with the same story every week that goes a little like this: "We've prepared an amazing banquet for all of our PC fans to gorge themselves on. enjoy you lucky, lucky chaps!! And, I guess we'll throw a turkey bone to the console players and let them fight over it. Just so they keep coming back for more." It's not nice to watch the PC version soar ahead while we're still stuck with day one problems. Many console players love the game. But it doesn't seem the feelings are mutual.

Agree we get a demo version of the game compared to what PC got, that we payed more for then PC and they get a full game with support for half the price. Not happy, never should have had posters of other toons if we will never get them.