[PSN] Scam Warning!

Fellow PSN Defenders,

There is currently a scam running around on the PSN, where members of the community are posing as Trendy Entertainment employees.

These people will NOT have official Trendy accounts (ie TrendyEnt1,TrendyEnt2,TrendyEnt3) they will have regular accounts with possible different named toons ie TEMods1,TEMods2 etc.

What they are doing;

-asking for your hard earned event weapons, so they can upgrade the max level on them, ie if they have a 45^ base, they will say something like "we can upgrade that to 50^"
-asking you to drop your event weapons so they can "help you with it"
-kicking you from the game as soon as you drop your event weapons.

DO NOT under any circumstances drop your event weapons/perfect gear to anyone claiming to be TE employees. They will not ask you to do this.

What you should do;

-grab their PSN id's
-report them to Sony
-report them to TE through the appropriate channels -> Report a Player Forum
-don't call them out openly on the forums.
-pm myself so I can take this information to TE. I already have an idea who it is.

Hoping this reaches people before it's too late, please tell all of your friends who play on PSN.

Classic

On a somewhat related note, I have also seen people drop spare items in my tavern to "give" to me. After it's made clear that I cannot pick it up because it's locked to them, they offer to show me how to unlock items in the menu so that I can pick up whatever they dropped for me to use. Needless to say my tavern has a ton of my own gear strewn about it, so this would have given them access to my stuff as well if I were dumb enough to try it.

Just use some common sense. If you find yourself in a situation that seems out of the ordinary, THINK THROUGH what you're being asked to do and what the possible consequences of trusting this individual are.

Funny how they offer to show you how to unlock when it had to be you that locked it in the first place. Like you don't know how to unlock what you locked. Silly rabbits. Trix are for kids :D

Thank you.

Yes, I've noticed players with character names TRENDYENT, so I message them asking if they are an employee (It's already obvious that they are clearly NOT an employee - common sense here! No company players would join games randomly) just to see what they would say back. I then delete them and kick them out of my game.

From now on I'll be reporting these players. Thanks!

I kinda want to say you're preaching to the converted here, I think this message would be more effective on more public forums like GameFAQS.

I kinda want to say you're preaching to the converted here, I think this message would be more effective on more public forums like GameFAQS.

I kind of want to tell you to read the post again, specifically the part that says tell your friends.

I kind of want to tell you to read the post again, specifically the part that says tell your friends.
Oh I have for sure, but considering the current state of the Xbox side its the least of everyone's problem. I seen people scammed before, and have a few high grade items to help compensate their losses.

I saw a thread where someone was describing how to scam people on purpose to get their stuff. It did not have anything to do with impersonating Trendy, that part is new, but the rest of teh thread was all about setting up a fake transfer of goods just to get the other to unlock their tavern for a second, then raiding all of their items and quitting. It was a like 3 page in-depth how to guide. Saddest thing i ever read.

I did see someone with "TrendyEnt" as his name but that was a couple weeks back so i didn't take his psn down ar the time. Damn Trolls! :demon:

By the way, Classic, someone told me that there was a scammer going around with YOUR name "Classic22" claiming that they, like you previously said, could upgrade armor and weapons by 5.

By the way, Classic, someone told me that there was a scammer going around with YOUR name "Classic22" claiming that they, like you previously said, could upgrade armor and weapons by 5.

Thanks for the heads up. Just need to find these imitating clowns.

Just because someone has there name as trendy, doesnt mean you should report them. They may just have that name for fun to trick there friends,think its cool,etc. Unless they attempt to steal or trick you, you should not report them.

Just because someone has there name as trendy, doesnt mean you should report them. They may just have that name for fun to trick there friends,think its cool,etc. Unless they attempt to steal or trick you, you should not report them.

No... there is no reason to impersonate an employee of TE

To add, no other mods play the PS3 version.

It's sad that people actually try to pull these kinds of stunts. I would never unlock my tavern to strangers but now that I know these scams are going on, I kinda look forward to someone trying to pull it off on me.

stranger drops some weapons "here ya go. you can have these"
I try to pick them up "Cool! Oh I can't pick them up, can you put some more things down so I can see if I can pick them up?"
stranger proceeds to describe how to unlock my tavern
I say, "Oh ok, just a second"
then I quit the game

Ha! Take that you little scammers! Hopefully they actually drop something worthwhile :D

It's sad that people actually try to pull these kinds of stunts. I would never unlock my tavern to strangers but now that I know these scams are going on, I kinda look forward to someone trying to pull it off on me.

I'm sorry, but that logic isn't right. You're no better off than they are if you do this.
That's like going around stealing because a thief broke into your house and took your stuff. You're just perpetuating the situation.

Easier to just report them to official employees and let them take care of their business and be on your merry way.

I don't deny that I'd be no better than them if I were to pull this stunt. I doubt I'd be perpetuating the situation though. I would hope that it would stop them from trying to do it to someone else or at least make them rethink what they are doing.

I definitely would report them, though I doubt the process is all that quick for them to get their comeuppance.

Yeah taking matters into my own hands is probably not the proper path to take but there would be a definite sense of satisfaction.

I had someone message me because they wanted to "see my sword, because it looks beast".

Luckily I'm not an idiot and I just banned him. His intentions were obvious.

Yeah taking matters into my own hands is probably not the proper path to take but there would be a definite sense of satisfaction.

I hear ya. Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, from the posts I've seen from you on this forum you're a cool person/gamer so I meant no disrespect. I guess I posted the reply to mean the general population of players, not you specifically. It's a tight community :)

I hear ya. Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, from the posts I've seen from you on this forum you're a cool person/gamer so I meant no disrespect. I guess I posted the reply to mean the general population of players, not you specifically. It's a tight community :)

No no, I took no offense. It just made me think... "OMG he's absolutely right. But I'd still do it anyway!"

Kinda made me laugh.

+1

I don't care if there's a reason to do it or not; I disagree wholeheartedly with preemptive measures. It violates general principles of freedom.

+1

I don't care if there's a reason to do it or not; I disagree wholeheartedly with preemptive measures. It violates general principles of freedom.

Har har? I missed the joke. This isn't special forces that bust open your door and throw you in jail, it's a videogame.... Freedom has nothing to do with this topic. Impersonating an employee of a COMPANY is a crime, do not think for a second that you are anonymous behind your console when playing online. There are consequences in real life for doing things like this.

Don't think for one second that you won't go unpunished for imitating developers or moderators.

If you are caught, you will be punished.

This whole "I'm American, I can do or say whatever I want" does not apply here.

I did not mean to start an argument. I talked to TeamSoda last console event and asked him if it mattered if someone named there character trendy. He said it doesn't matter to them as long as there not causing trouble. They said they will not ban someone for having a name as simple as trendy. However, he did say Sony may ban people for having the name trendy. This is what TeamSoda said when I asked so please don't get mad.