seriously, you must fix causelessly exploding crystals

I just made a Nightmare survival Mixed Mode game until the crystal exploded in the middle of wave 18 with half of its HP left for no-freaking-reason...I mean there wasn't a mob even close to it.

This is absolutely ridiculous and has to be fixed immediately!

Sorry for the demanding speech but playing for hours just to fail for no reason makes me angry...

Do something...please...

The crystal never explodes without reason.

Sorry, but that seems like a rather arrogant comment... How could you possibly know?

I to have experienced this issue, in alchemical labs, where the crystal takes the same amount of damage as a kobold directly hitting it, yet there was no visible kobold, I was the host without any lag issue, and standing on top of the crystal. Not to mention the app shields blocking all 4 entrances were in tact, and at the time there was very few mobs, so it is highly unlikely it would have gotten past the app towers either without getting blown to bits, even without the shields. I believe it was around the same wave, 15 ish.

My build have been something like this:
http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=9723

Sorry, but that seems like a rather arrogant comment... How could you possibly know?

I to have experienced this issue, in alchemical labs, where the crystal takes the same amount of damage as a kobold directly hitting it, yet there was no visible kobold, I was the host without any lag issue, and standing on top of the crystal. Not to mention the app shields blocking all 4 entrances were in tact, and at the time there was very few mobs, so it is highly unlikely it would have gotten past the app towers either without getting blown to bits, even without the shields. I believe it was around the same wave, 15 ish.

the crystal never explodes without reason, late game archers can pop a crystal from most spawns and so can mages and wyrms.

the crystal never explodes without reason, late game archers can pop a crystal from most spawns and so can mages and wyrms.

This. If you happen to be standing on the wrong angle to any of the mentioned, or anywhere near the crystal it can happen (especially in smaller maps like alch labs). I feel the OP on the frustration, at times it feels a little too random but then.. The dice on the loot is worse.

Honestly, what we need (especially in survival) is a listing of all damage that the crystal took by source. It'd make it a lot easier to know what you're doing wrong.

Agreed with Zaps, I'm confident there are no 'random exploding crystals', based on my experiences. (Basically got my crystal shot without breaking defenses to verify how it could happen), but it would be nice to track that damage to know what you should alter to address it. Damage tracking to players is everyone, throwing crystal info on there should be relatively easily doable.

Because while TrendyNet has some trouble balancing out the game, I know they wouldn't program the game in such a way that the crystal can take damage without a source to attribute it to. I know of no monster that can teleport, the game has a solid cause and effect system, there's no reason why the crystal would "self-destruct" like some people might think.

In Alch Labs, the single most common mistake is to put the barriers in the back (as you did) without a way to instantly kill any of the weaker, ranged enemies instantly. Unless you block the flow of enemies further up the rear lanes or have that insta-kill failsafe then wizards and archers will be able to snipe the crystal.

Another mistake is to stand on the golden ornament near the front of the room while DPSing. It SEEMS like a good idea because it keeps you out of the path of enemies and rather safe from dark elf warriors, but sometimes wizards spawning on the top floor may attempt to fire fireballs at you if you jostle about while on it, which can potentially lead to them firing fireballs onto your crystal because of how it lines up.

One thing you should also always remember - NO KNOCKBACK. Go for a negative knockback sword, avoid tigers and chickens and steam robots as pets, don't alt-fire as a wizard. Avoid joust, circular slice, mana bomb, purity bomb, and other skills that apply kockback, as well. All it takes is one enemy flung past your defenses to ruin several hours of work, and it's a VERY easily avoided issue, but sadly often overlooked.

Here's a little picture to illustrate what I am referring to people for those that don't understand.

http://i.imgur.com/jSryv.png

Remember, not even traps or dedicated defenses can keep your back lanes safe if the number of enemies is great enough. In later waves of mix mode survival, only two shots of a fireball or arrow can destroy your crystal so all it takes is a distracted tower or trap in cooldown to destroy all of your progress. Redundant defenses are always better than a lack of.

I've had my crystal die a few times on Alch runs, it always seems random, and that's because in a way it is. All it takes is an archer taking a pot-shot at you, it missing, and smacking the crystal in the face. Also, both towers and monsters auto-track their targets, so if you're moving at the time an archer or mage fires a projectile off, and it just happens to be in line with the crystal, then say goodbye to your hard work.

Moral of the story is do a different map (not usually feasible, I'm aware of that) or don't run around all the time like a headless chicken, and NEVER jump.

i`ve experienced this before, your crystal was sniped by an archer from the west. arrows can fly above your walls. change your setup.

[QUOTE]One thing you should also always remember - NO KNOCKBACK. Go for a negative knockback sword, avoid tigers and chickens and steam robots as pets, don't alt-fire as a wizard. Avoid joust, circular slice, mana bomb, purity bomb, and other skills that apply kockback, as well. All it takes is one enemy flung past your defenses to ruin several hours of work, and it's a VERY easily avoided issue, but sadly often overlooked.[/QUOTE]There's nothing wrong with knockback if it is used properly. And frankly, I've got to wonder what you're doing if it took "several hours" to get to wherever you are in a level. In maps like the armory, lifestream hollow, magus quarters and the ramparts, knockback can be a great way to dispatch a lot of enemies fast. You just need to aim it the right way so that no enemies get flung in a direction you didn't intend.

I have had this occur to me. I was told it doesn't and that something is wrong with my build. Don't know what else to do :(

If it helps any, from my experiences, the most common source of random crystal damage are when mages build up on the front stairs. It can get congested up there, and they happen to stand in the perfect place to line up a shot on the crystal but they don't have the range. However, if a player happens to get in the direct path between them and the crystal, they might shoot at the player, and their slight elevation will cause their projectile to go just over the wall and hit the crystal. If you avoid entering that area while spawns happen (jump the gaps if you want to get up into the upper section), it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Secondly, the other source is if you build the back walls too close to the crystal, they can get in range, or a similar behavior if someone is in the way.

Hopefully those two considerations work as well for you as they did for me, or if not, that someone else might have some advice they can share from experience.

My attempt was on alchy lab, forgot to say that.

I used app towers and covered every entrance with a barriers. I can just say that everything was up when it happened (monitored the DUs) and no one was even near the crystal

As I said the crystal had half HP left. Even if an arrow somehow hit the crystal it wouldnt have dealt that much damage.

i use to have this problem along time ago try changing where you place your blocks. never stand my the crystal. and the crystal is dieing from either a ranger or a summoner :/

we did 25 waves of alch 2 days ago flawless not trying to brag but it must be your setup

At the front, kobolds (and orcs even but you would notice that) can easily jump down into the central (forge) location when jostling for position at the barrier. I added two barriers that show you where the problem lies.

http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=10021

THEY NEVER BLOW UP ON THEIR OWN. i use to think that.. also.. trust me your not seeing the person killing it.

The crystal never explodes without reason.

Assuming you mean a stray arrow that goes right past a shield and 4 towers to smack the crystal...is a valid reason

i use to have this problem along time ago try changing where you place your blocks. never stand my the crystal. and the crystal is dieing from either a ranger or a summoner :/

we did 25 waves of alch 2 days ago flawless not trying to brag but it must be your setup

We got to wave 23 again last night but a stray arrow took it out.

LOL dont stand on the crystal u bad, those mage summoners shoot at you, along with arrows. Same goes for wyverns, dont stand between them and your crystal :D

Its the little things that get u to wave 25+

Sigh... I"m more annoyed that the damn archers shoot above my mage walls. I tried even placing some walls back y the crystal hopingthat maybe it woudl intercept them... Kinda wish i could stand my mage walls on end to make a tall skinny shield infront of my crystal and have the normally used walls otherwise. Of it you want to try a different setup... go squire walls... Archers can;t shoot above those since they are taller... downside it unlike mage walls. they cost more DU and don;t strip the elemental immunities >< which means pretty much 4 DU per choke point. the squire wall and a mage wall for immunity and full block.

Good luck.

Assuming you mean a stray arrow that goes right past a shield and 4 towers to smack the crystal...is a valid reason

he never said it was a valid reason... he just said it never happens without reason.. so you just proved that the statment about them blowing up on their own false. if this was about why should a archer be able to pick off the crystals from the other side of the map through walls and defenses then yes we agree but since its about randomly blowing up.