How are you supposed to get geared for nightmare?

I stopped playing after the halloween event, and I had some of the best gear at the time (godly enchanted plate 20+ upgrades van wolfenstein) and I just came back. I got the DLC so I decided to try nightmare mode. Holy ****. How are you even supposed to do that? What do I need to do so I can?

Either really good godly stuff from glitterhelm insane/misty hard/insane or visit some player shops and buy some low level mythic gear for 1-2 mil each. Then you can grind the first couple waves of endless spirals for better mythic gear.

I'm not sure how it was prior to last week, but I bought the game last Thursday, and despite the fact that I'm a pretty hardcore player, found it pretty easy to wedge myself into NM. To avoid simply sounding arrogant and annoying, I'll provide some USEFUL information. There are several ways to go about getting gear, the easiest being to simply buy it. Buying gear, intelligently, may I add does make things insanely easier to accomplish difficulty-wise. Depending on your gear set and class, it varies in difficulty. Apprentice makes things from impossible to easy in my opinion.

Firstly, don't bother doing anything but Endless Spires (maybe not even Ramparts). The gear before then is mostly a waste of time and is generally harder than Endless Spires. Don't expect to be able to finish the whole thing on your first few tries, just make sure that past wave 1 you open all of the chests and get any items useful or otherwise; it's all money.

Prior to having a decent set of gear, strategy can mean the difference between losing completely and winning with little to no effort on your part. Find a good tower build, or run around shooting things, as long as it works for you, here's the strategy I use and it works wonderfully, thanks to Anarial. That's for Endless Spires, but if you want a nice all around guide for going from zero to hero, check out this guy's awesome piece of work, kudos to ceemeeir.

I know I didn't really help, moreso just sent links to other people than CAN help you, but I'm not really sure where to start, that's a really broad question to answer, but I think with either of those links you can at least get a nice foothold.

TL;DR: Check those links for cool goodies that'll help.

Try ceemeeir guide it helped alot of people but if you dont mind waiting you could try some hardcore insane once we get the patch this should make the jump to NM a bit easier but ceemeeir's guide works well so no real reason to wait. Now other difficulties will have hardcore mode which will result in better loot in insane making it easier for new people just starting out even without a guide to jump from insane to NM hopefully.

only nightmare ogres arnt a joke to kill, so most people find a map with a few orgeless waves( endless spire) and clear wave for chest loot
look for the loot for dummies thread for a few builds to get you started

Everyone insists on citing the loot for dummies thread yet no one seems to be able to actually explain the progression path. I am beginning to believe that no one actually knows how to go about it and everyone is relying on bought or gifted gear. Whenever I question anyone about the details they list off a bunch of stats that are impossible to have at the point in the progression that I question or they cite a video that cannot be duplicated in the least with gear at the stated level.

Everyone insists on citing the loot for dummies thread yet no one seems to be able to actually explain the progression path. I am beginning to believe that no one actually knows how to go about it and everyone is relying on bought or gifted gear. Whenever I question anyone about the details they list off a bunch of stats that are impossible to have at the point in the progression that I question or they cite a video that cannot be duplicated in the least with gear at the stated level.

The loot progression path is the best rewards for the easiest investment of effort and the fastest time.

The order is nonsensical as the difficulty-to-reward ratio is ****ed up.

That thread starts you with only leveled up chars and zero gear. It brings you as far as you can go right now. Do not expect to be able to get far in Misty survival with the suggestions in that thread. That thread will bring you as far as possible with todays patches. It is impossible to self gear oneself to a point where misty NM survival is possible.

The thread is quite useful, just know what is and is not possible to achieve in the most recent patch.

I took a break for a few weeks too. I had terrible godly items and a relatively low stat aura monk in the 300 tower damage range (30-40^ armor and 60^weps) and basically I grinded insane glitterhelm to take the monk and apprentice to 74. I used the mana I made from leveling both toons to buy a suit of mythicals for the apprentice.

Then I followed ceemeeir's guide to loot progression and did nightmare endless spires. I started off with about 200-300 in tower stats and got destroyed. At first I couldn't even do one wave, but slowly and surely I was advancing further upgrading and buying better armor focused on tower stats. The next day I beat it three times out of maybe 10 or 15 tries with my stats around something like 700ish tower dmg and 200-300 everything else Then I went ahead to try nightmare hardcore endless spires with aMannus guide on that and it was significantly easier than any other layout I tried, in fact I even beat it on the first attempt and have repeated it several times with relative ease.

Basically the easiest way to bridge the gap from where you left off is to farm mana to buy gear yourself to be able to solo run nightmare mode. If you can solo insane glitterhelm then you are on the way there :P

just a week ago I did exactly the same here, had gear with max 37 stats or so
Farmed insane throneroom / gitter untill lvl 74, lvl your App first
Then go to endless spire NM, use 3 deadly strikers and walls for first wave, loot chest, more deadly strikers and wall, fail on wave to
Repeat untill you can do more waves, gear will have 60+ stats and you can upgrade them.
Then do it HC same as before, you will then start getting 80+ stats
Then after that, you are set for most things :P Mystmire NM is pretty easy to solo untill the boss. and there you get 100+ stats, when you have those items, upgrade them, and you will have 1000+ stats on main stat.

I did this, without going in to one AFK shop, took me around 4 days to get 800 stats
If just want the easy way, farm up 100m on Throne Room Insane Surv, if you loot you get 3-5m each wave. buy gear, and quit the game.

So easy

If the guy who made the guide managed NM Spires with nothing equipped but a genie and a staff (upgraded to level 22) then it is clearly not impossible. No offense, but you may well be infected with the PEBKAC virus.

I have to be honest i dont know what people keep whinning about, either you are trying to solo your way into NM which can be quite hard depending on your chara or , without being offensive you have to be bad. First and foremost although soloing is fun and challenging this game aint meant to be played like that . If you wanna get into NM you either duo or go full team ( i find soloing and having 3 people the hardest ways to play)

Just so you can know that i know what im saying im level 73 tower apprentice (no, not the cheese counterpart) never bought any gear and i already have deeper wells NM done, im the last one wave of NM ramparts atm and i dont even have a monk leveled up yet . Anyone who doubts me can check my steam if ya wanna

About progression
I normally duo, actually i always duo, its me and a huntress dps and we simply did all levels on normal (not mistymire forest we didnt had it yet) then we did like what? 10 runs of insane survival alchemy lab to get some better loot got a genie and off to nm we went! The only gear we even upgraded were our weapons!

Now you might think that is part of progression is quite small but thats exactly the point there are several ways to progress , and no you dont need buy gear , you dont need some high super geared friend to help you out , you just need to be smart and realize the fact that its more about skill then you think. like i said im 73 the huntress that plays with me is 73 and we already have a full set of mythical gear waiting for us that we simply farmed

Edit: English i fail at it and btw just one last tip DIEING MATTERS ON NM.

That thread starts you with only leveled up chars and zero gear. It brings you as far as you can go right now. Do not expect to be able to get far in Misty survival with the suggestions in that thread. That thread will bring you as far as possible with todays patches. It is impossible to self gear oneself to a point where misty NM survival is possible.

The thread is quite useful, just know what is and is not possible to achieve in the most recent patch.

I would accept that but it would be nice it that was clearly stated in the post.

If the guy who made the guide managed NM Spires with nothing equipped but a genie and a staff (upgraded to level 22) then it is clearly not impossible. No offense, but you may well be infected with the PEBKAC virus.

Yeah... I don't believe that in the least. I've done it with full Hard Glitter gear and a 20k DPS staff and it simply isn't possible to kill things fast enough. It is impossible to do it with what you state. Someone saying they did it naked doesn't mean that what they say is actually true.

Yeah... I don't believe that in the least. I've done it with full Hard Glitter gear and a 20k DPS staff and it simply isn't possible to kill things fast enough. It is impossible to do it with what you state. Someone saying they did it naked doesn't mean that what they say is actually true.

The video is there in the guide ceemeeir did it and he shows you so he didnt just state it he also put up the video so you should look at it.

The video is there in the guide ceemeeir did it and he shows you so he didnt just state it he also put up the video so you should look at it.

There's a few major problems with that though. The most important point is that it isn't the current patch which can change things significantly. A minor complaint is that the weapon is mythical and has better stats than any piece of armor that I own.

I suspect that the difference in the patch is one of the major influences seeing as the enemies take far reduced damage compared to enemies of other difficulties. There is some kind of scaling that causes my attacks to hit for 1/3 or so compared to hard/insane. That appears absent from the video. In general, the monsters fall far faster than what I see and I wonder if there is an HP difference. I'd have to actually go and verify that since I don't know them off the top of my head. My point is that the video doesn't match the current reality. Maybe it once did, but it doesn't match my experiences with it in the last two weeks.

There's a few major problems with that though. The most important point is that it isn't the current patch which can change things significantly. A minor complaint is that the weapon is mythical and has better stats than any piece of armor that I own.

I suspect that the difference in the patch is one of the major influences seeing as the enemies take far reduced damage compared to enemies of other difficulties. There is some kind of scaling that causes my attacks to hit for 1/3 or so compared to hard/insane. That appears absent from the video. In general, the monsters fall far faster than what I see and I wonder if there is an HP difference. I'd have to actually go and verify that since I don't know them off the top of my head. My point is that the video doesn't match the current reality. Maybe it once did, but it doesn't match my experiences with it in the last two weeks.
No your tad and didn't even read the first 4 posts. with little to no gear you can , claw and struggle into nightmare and beyond. Also the only thing change about nightmare in weeks was a aura radius nerf.

No your tad and didn't even read the first 4 posts. with little to no gear you can , claw and struggle into nightmare and beyond. Also the only thing change about nightmare in weeks was a aura radius nerf.

Well, I'm gonna take a closer look at it but like I said, my experiences weren't even close to what the video shows.

NM Endless Spires is certainly possible, take the setup from the video in the loot progression thread but swap the 2 walls for a magic missle near the north DS, and it should easily clear wave 1 (well it did for me with ~350 tower attack and ~200 attack speed, which was all from stuff from non-MM insane survival) and from there you can get enough gear to beat it, it's rather easy besides the last wave provided you place your walls right (so Ogres don't attack them). All that's required is a decent apprentice guardian for the last wave (going from one that affected 3 towers to one that affected 5 towers made the difference between struggling to clear the last wave and clearing it with my eyes closed), you don't need a genie provided you can avoid being webbed/jumped on during the waves.

I managed to do it after a few dozen tries by using an apprentice guardian. I don't know why the genie is recommended because it is basically worthless. The guardian was needed to keep up the pace against the swarm. It still isn't a very reliable way to do it. 1/10 wins isn't very efficient and is certainly not what I expected based on the video.

I would accept that but it would be nice it that was clearly stated in the post.

The video of him doing it naked isn't proof enough for you? If you cannot beat even a single wave with a full set of hard glitter gear and a 20k DPS weapon then you are the obstacle in your way. Until you're willing to accept that your difficulty =/= impossible then you're never going to get anywhere. Trust me, I know where you are as I've been there myself (http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?33709-So-I-was-wrong.-My-apologies.).

If you want to get beyond where you are now you absolutely have to break down the mental roadblock you've built in front of yourself. Until then, nobody on this forum and no guide is going to get you anywhere. Good luck to you, but I'm done trying to convince you. The evidence and the path are both laid out before you. It's up to you to use them appropriately.

-EDIT-

Just because I'm as stubborn as a mule I decided to PL an adept using only Glitter hard. I got her to 70 over to course of 5 runs and equipped her with weapon and armor from those runs, which I fully upgraded. I also gave her a genie from insane hall of court survival that I fully upped. Here's her gear:

Helmet: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686346669/5E959C1F08DB1ACF717E3CEF86B0CD9EBB5BB0C8/

Weapon: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686348114/EC52459F0B1BCF9462D4B4D0752B187DF71F5350/

Gloves: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686349477/0820FFDD0053D08344D83054EFE3FCDC27369C3A/

Chestpiece: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686350824/AA614E7E75272595C599154CE1B8F1FD8799619D/

Boots: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686352269/80410B74FECB82E095573C6E6A531AF2C077FE2F/

Genie: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686353580/26CDB79ADB2A64CE3A86D987BC4B61B0A276B3B7/

Here's the scoreboard after I, at level 70 with only glitter hard weapon and armor, completed the first two waves of Nightmare Endless Spires. It's far from "impossible".

Scoreboard: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686355030/6D174C4C31BCC80222DFF037A80DB039F22ABFFA/

I died once during the first wave before I had all my defenses up, then lasted until the first ogre (third wave) took out my crystal because my towers couldn't DPS fast enough. I will try again with an app guardian and see how far she gets then and post back here.

Attempt #2 scoreboard: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686636767/D18B52B804E3A9D617C4B0E3C7ADAC2FAA3AB3C6/

As you can see, adding the app guardian got me by the first ogre, but my defenses were overwhelmed on the 4th wave and went down quickly.

The mythics I grabbed from chests only during the two attempts : http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614973225686637763/7300FE43079730749EED0209D901C545212CE654/