Is it just me, or is the new change for them a step in the wrong direction? I mean, I'm happy they're looking at darkness traps and all. But it really solves nothing, it just feels like a random act.

Magic barricade - Moderate to high health, decent size, strips any mob who hit it of their immunities. 1 DU

Darkness Trap - Very low charge amount, decent cover size for a trap, forces mobs to take new targets, removes elemental immunities. 6 DU

Spike Barricade - High health, bigger than a magic barricade, deals decent damage. 3 DU

Now, 1 DU can do what Darkness traps and spike barricades do, but not deal damage. Where 9 DU can do only two more things over 1 DU. Where one of those things would be sort of useless with a barricade there as you want it to be hit.

You could use darkness traps to lure mobs into auras with a simple barricade there, but from what I can tell darkness traps force a mob to pick a new pathable target out of the entire map. Also, darkness traps will not work on spiders or warriors, from what I have seen, taking away two possible targets already.

All in all, I'm happy they're looking at Darkness traps albeit not in the right direction. I'd be more happy if it instead forced them to pick the nearest structure, or unit, or even forced them to even be able to pick from nearby ally mobs.

Bear in mind that it'll yield more use seeing as you can place it at a major choke point, strip mobs of their immunities, they'll only deal generic physical damage, essentially halving their dps on defenses/you.

Bear in mind that it'll yield more use seeing as you can place it at a major choke point, strip mobs of their immunities, they'll only deal generic physical damage, essentially halving their dps on defenses/you.

Yet the issue is, you're taking away 8 DU for just preventing them from having to hit your defenses first. With enough tower health that initial hit will matter very little in the first place.

this is pretty good. I can't wait to try it out. problem with barricades stripping immunity is it has to TOUCH the barricade first. this could be huge.

on 2nd though.. we'll see. i'm gonna stick one of these puppies in front of every spawn point. :P

It wouldn't be so bad if these things didn't cost an arm and a leg. If you think DST's are rarely used, these see probably 1% of the showtime a striker tower gets.

It wouldn't be so bad if these things didn't cost an arm and a leg. If you think DST's are rarely used, these see probably 1% of the showtime a striker tower gets.

My duo-no-hero-dps-tower-build for NM UMF2.0 uses 5 DST's :3

I'dd rather see that :

enrage aura : additional removes elemental immunity
gas trap : gets elemental immunity removal
darkness trap : if hero sets it off, turns invisible, hero can not do dmg while inside the trap, undetectable and undamageable for any mob as this trap is active. That would be the PERFECT sanctuary spell :d. And useful when you need to repair something but are getting constantly interrupted. And it would be to expensive (6 du) to put them everywhere. Ergo ideal as a recovery zone (darkness + healing aura), ogre is smashing a barricade, turn invisible and you can repair it all at ease without getting targetted by spiders of dews as long as you are in the trap.

Darkness Trap now strips mobs of elemental immunity, and reduced DU cost to 5

From patch notes they just reduced the cost to 5 DU

DU has been reduced to 5. It's still not enough IMO, rather than changing targets I'd like to see them be unable to attack while effected.

DU has been reduced to 5. It's still not enough IMO, rather than changing targets I'd like to see them be unable to attack while effected.

Honestly, unless spike barricades saw a du decrease, that is still not going to change anything. The most it's doing is freeing up DU for a magic barricade, which is sort of pointless if you're using darkness traps and spike barricades.

Think of it this way, magic blockades can cause grouping of mobs which will then make it esier to break, this way elment is removed and they keep going on their way... INTO THE GAS TRAPS.. TO BE KILLED BY HARPOONS! :warrior:

I'm surprised you're all missing the biggest reason why a darkness trap is more effective than a magical barricade. Granted, I am still debating internal on the DU costs for it. However, a darkness trap can strip the immunities right when the enemies get in range of your fireballs, or other defenses.

This means that normally fire immune Ogre that gets to pound on your barricades, can die before they get to the barricades. In addition, those evil Poison Immune Dark Elf Warriors that rush through your ensnare aura will have their immunity stripped before getting to the ensnare, meaning they can't ignore your barricades now like they do before.

I personally am looking forward to this change, and will be curious to see just how well it will interact with alternative setups. Another thing to consider, now that traps can strip immunities imagine a Darkness > Inferno > Gas > Prox > Spike trap setup. This means first they get stripped of their immunity, now they're taking full damage from inferno, in addition none of the enemies can ignore the gas trap choking effect (except ogres), and anything that gets by the inferno damage will end up taking full damage for not just the Prox but the Spike trap as well.

Why are people even complaining about the 5 DU being steep? That's one less electric Aura in exchange for more offense/defense (depending on how you look at it.) I'm sure people can incorporate one less electric aura into their builds...

I'm surprised you're all missing the biggest reason why a darkness trap is more effective than a magical barricade. Granted, I am still debating internal on the DU costs for it. However, a darkness trap can strip the immunities right when the enemies get in range of your fireballs, or other defenses.

This means that normally fire immune Ogre that gets to pound on your barricades, can die before they get to the barricades. In addition, those evil Poison Immune Dark Elf Warriors that rush through your ensnare aura will have their immunity stripped before getting to the ensnare, meaning they can't ignore your barricades now like they do before.

I personally am looking forward to this change, and will be curious to see just how well it will interact with alternative setups. Another thing to consider, now that traps can strip immunities imagine a Darkness > Inferno > Gas > Prox > Spike trap setup. This means first they get stripped of their immunity, now they're taking full damage from inferno, in addition none of the enemies can ignore the gas trap choking effect (except ogres), and anything that gets by the inferno damage will end up taking full damage for not just the Prox but the Spike trap as well.

I actually brought up that they wouldn't have to hit the barricades, but it's not an efficient use of DU. It's really expensive and has a very low amount of charges. Its only real use is to delay a lane as enrage auras are as well. If it had a higher amount of charges and costed at least 4 du and spikes lost one du, I would definitely switch over to that. But as it stands right now, it's really high maintenance and inefficient. You're taking up DU that can be used across the entire map, effectively lowering your chances of being able to handle every lane at once without a high amount of tower stats.

Yes they're useful, but they still in the end hurt you for using them in the long run.

Darkness trap + spikeys should make mobs attempt to run past spikey (for melee enemies) but keep on getting hit? AND loss of immunity. Sounds good.

Darkness trap + spikeys should make mobs attempt to run past spikey (for melee enemies) but keep on getting hit? AND loss of immunity. Sounds good.

immunity doesn't matter for spikes.

Except that darkness traps don't work on ogres at the moment (not the change target at least).

I couldn't see the darkness trap be useful at all unless it also removes mob elemental affinity.

I haven't used darkness in a long time, but I do believe that this change is actually a benefit to the darkness because currently, it just is not worth it. You can blow them up faster then waiting for them to move on to another target.

Stripping immunities is particularly valuable. But for 5 defense units it might be too expensive unless it effects more then one target at a time. If it does effect everything in range, then 5 points will be a pretty good value.

Otherwise it would need some pretty big additional changes. Much higher trap count, or better reset, or some other effect, or some damage.

Except that darkness traps don't work on ogres at the moment (not the change target at least).

I couldn't see the darkness trap be useful at all unless it also removes mob elemental affinity.

The Main ability of darkness doesn't work on orges doesn't mean the elemental remove won't.

it all comes down to whether the darkness trap will be aoe or not, if its aoe it will be quite viable, if its single target it will be bad.

it all comes down to whether the darkness trap will be aoe or not, if its aoe it will be quite viable, if its single target it will be bad.

It has already been stated that any enemy passing through an active darkness trap will have their element stripped.

The Main ability of darkness doesn't work on orges doesn't mean the elemental remove won't.

And since we all know that Ogres have no resistances because of their ****load of HP... ^^

Just stating the obvious ;)

And since we all know that Ogres have no resistances because of their ****load of HP... ^^

Just stating the obvious ;)
Not played Nightmare?