Patch 7.16 Discussion

Well that explains why the FATE dungeon only went 2.1 billion levels deep.

So the obvious answer is to have another currency item worth 100 million mana.

It still doesn't explain why the soft cap is 200 million... I think the original issue someone had was hitting the soft cap during gameplay.

What do you mean by soft cap? You can only collect 200 million during a single mission or something? I'm pretty sure any soft cap like that is arbitrary.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better solution is to lower the value of everything currently in the game by "X" number of decimal points. Then you won't come so close to the ~2 billion mana cap. There is no reason that everything in the game needs to be worth millions of mana if there is a hard cap that can't be programmed around. Seems like a bit of short-sightedness on the part of the developers.

The better solution is to lower the value of everything currently in the game by "X" number of decimal points. Then you won't come so close to the ~2 billion mana cap. There is no reason that everything in the game needs to be worth millions of mana if there is a hard cap that can't be programmed around. Seems like a bit of short-sightedness on the part of the developers.

Only problem with that is people who have a lot of mana will still have all that mana; and some ppl might not be happy about their items being devalued. But this might be the lesser evil.

Only problem with that is people who have a lot of mana will still have all that mana; and some ppl might not be happy about their items being devalued. But this might be the lesser evil.

A good point, but I think that they could also lower the amount of mana each player has by the same "X" value they use in the other. Does that mean, theoretically, some players could end up with zero mana? Yes, but it solves a much bigger problem.

let's divide all mana for 100.. so who have 2bilion of mana after have 20mil and all item give less mana .... if an item now give 100mil after give 1mil... if now to upgrade a weapon you need 1bil.. after you need10mil

easy and problem solved

let's divide all mana for 100.. so who have 2bilion of mana after have 20mil and all item give less mana .... if an item now give 100mil after give 1mil... if now to upgrade a weapon you need 1bil.. after you need10mil

easy and problem solved

Well - that would increase the worth of those 1.5k mana you can bank per round, if you don't want to change all ingame-mana costs, to (tower, skills etc) so you can bank mana worth 150,000 "currentmana" and maybe some people will use the function (I used it... eh maybe 3 times in deeper well).
Intresting idea...

you have 300 better strategy to gain mana that do deeper well and exploit this thing... but that function is real useless so they could take away from game

32 bit systems don't support 64 bit numbers, and the maximum value of a 32 bit signed integer is ~2.1 billion. (floating point is a different matter, but these are not floating point numbers). This limitation has proven to be an issue for some games, including MMOs like MapleStory, where 2.1 billion is the max amount of money a single character can carry and the maximum amount you can have in storage. In order to carry more than that you need multiple characters.)

With 32 bits, an integer can range from 0 (which is 0 in binary) to 4,294,967,295 (which is 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 in binary) or +-2,147,483,647 for a signed integer.
With 64 bits, an signed integer can be +-9,223,372,036,854,775,807 (for some reason windows calculator shows -1 if I enter all 1s in 64 bit binary then convert to decimal). Maybe 9.1 quintillion mana is enough for you? However, if you're using a 64-bit capable CPU but a 32 bit operating system, you're still limited to 32 bit numbers.

Still doesn't preclude a switch from regular (signed) int to unsigned int for values which will never need to be expressed as negatives.

Also a longer term fix would be to have a secondary currency unit as a multiple of the first & automatically convert between the 2 when required e.g. 2 billion mana = 1 banana. Thus the limit then becomes 2.1 billion*2 billion without any type changes or 4.2 billion*4 billion if also switching to unsigned int.

I have a suggestion. Why not create a new service for the Tavern Keeper? And I don't mean another little thing like "Respec Hero" or "Rename Hero", I mean a proper thing you can unlock with enough Mana, that you can keep forever and use infinitely at that point. I suggest creating a Service that, when bought, will allow the player to recolour their Weapons and Guardians. You can make this an expensive service too, if you so desired, so that it'd give something for people to work toward and those that do will be given this privilege. You could also make a way to change the scale of a weapon, even included in that editor, or indeed make it into another separate service. This will greatly help enhance the level of control a player has over the look and feel of his/her own character, and furthermore, would potentially help the economy within the game.

so.... * Added "Q" key to toggle "Front View" mode where you can view the front of your character and rotate around them for tasty pics*

i can see where this one will go

*wife walks in* OH SH*T I WAS JUST...

What do you mean by soft cap? You can only collect 200 million during a single mission or something? I'm pretty sure any soft cap like that is arbitrary.

Vendor will only buy stuff from you while you have less than 200 million mana. This includes trashing items when a new round starts. Once you hit 200 million the only way to go above it is by player trading.

Any ETA on this patch? I assume it'll be incoming with the next part of the Lost Etherian Shards DLC?

Could you guys add a region filter option to the server lobby?
As right now it only shows games in a small area, and it would be nice to see games from all over the world in the lobby, because there must be at least one person on the entire world playing campaign on insane...

Esentialy you are splitting the community of online play by enforcing the filter to be always on...

I have a suggestion. Why not create a new service for the Tavern Keeper? And I don't mean another little thing like "Respec Hero" or "Rename Hero", I mean a proper thing you can unlock with enough Mana, that you can keep forever and use infinitely at that point. I suggest creating a Service that, when bought, will allow the player to recolour their Weapons and Guardians. You can make this an expensive service too, if you so desired, so that it'd give something for people to work toward and those that do will be given this privilege. You could also make a way to change the scale of a weapon, even included in that editor, or indeed make it into another separate service. This will greatly help enhance the level of control a player has over the look and feel of his/her own character, and furthermore, would potentially help the economy within the game.

This! Awesome Idea.

I also agree this would be a great feature for players, as well as a useful "mana sink" for the economy. If I had to choose between the two features though, I'd rather have the ability to change the size of a weapon for X amount of mana. There are a lot of bows/guns that I've had to pass up just because they were too big (the bullets come out of the gun too far away from the player, and the gun fills up the whole screen in first-person view).

You should really consider this, Trendy!

[QUOTE]Still doesn't preclude a switch from regular (signed) int to unsigned int for values which will never need to be expressed as negatives.[/QUOTE]If people can so easily cap 2.1 billlion mana, capping 4.2 billion isn't going to take that much more time. Making the integer unsigned won't help much.

Use something along these lines:

[QUOTE]int manna
int billions

addmanna(int manna_to_add, int billions_to_add) {
manna += manna_to_add
while(manna > 1000000000) {
manna -= 1000000000
billions += 1
}
billions += billions_to_add;
}

removemanna(int manna_to_remove, int billions_to_remove) {
if(billions_to_remove > billions) {
return "NOT ENOUGH MONEY GEEZ";
}
if(billions_to_remove == billions && manna_to_remove < manna) {
return "NOT ENOUGH MONEY GEEZ";
}
billions -= billions_to_remove;
if(manna_to_remove > manna) {
manna += 1000000000;
billions -= 1;
}
manna -= manna_to_remove;
return "SUCCESS";
}[/QUOTE]

And when displaying, display the Billions variable first, and the manna variable behind it

Could you guys add a region filter option to the server lobby?As right now it only shows games in a small area, and it would be nice to see games from all over the world in the lobby, because there must be at least one person on the entire world playing campaign on insane...Esentialy you are splitting the community of online play by enforcing the filter to be always on...
trendy you must realize this awesome idea

Could you guys add a region filter option to the server lobby?As right now it only shows games in a small area, and it would be nice to see games from all over the world in the lobby, because there must be at least one person on the entire world playing campaign on insane...Esentialy you are splitting the community of online play by enforcing the filter to be always on...
trendy you must realize this awesome idea

Patchnotes:
7.12b * Made Shop searches WorldWide
7.12d * Changed all game searches to be Worldwide

Remember: Time isn't global. You might just play while in most of the countries (where DD is sold of course) it is night.
You also won't see full games and oversee some games, because some people use the normal game challange to sell stuff.

Suggestion: Disable afk-shop in normal game channel and/or autokick idle players from the tavern (not the game, they may just farm exp)

I wouldn't bother with an explanation that so few people care about, but then you spread misinformation and someone has to go correct it, lest others become as misinformed as you.

32 bit systems don't support 64 bit numbers, and the maximum value of a 32 bit signed integer is ~2.1 billion. (floating point is a different matter, but these are not floating point numbers).

No, but we'll get back to that; yes but why even mention floating point?

(for some reason windows calculator shows -1 if I enter all 1s in 64 bit binary then convert to decimal).

That's because all on bits in a 64-bit signed integer is -1.

However, if you're using a 64-bit capable CPU but a 32 bit operating system, you're still limited to 32 bit numbers.

How in the world do you think Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha work? Do you think that they require megabyte registers? You can do math in parts. That's what add-with-carry (opcode ADC) is for. Further, SSE2 allows the 128-bit packed registers to be used for 64-bit math as well on a 32-bit processor.

Or maybe you'd like your mana bank expressed to you in scientific notation?

Please do tell me you understand how bad it is to store currency, virtual or real, in floating point - assuming that is what you are suggesting.

Further, please do not rant to people about issues you do not understand in the first place.

I wouldn't bother with an explanation that so few people care about, but then you spread misinformation and someone has to go correct it, lest others become as misinformed as you.

No, but we'll get back to that; yes but why even mention floating point?

That's because all on bits in a 64-bit signed integer is -1.

How in the world do you think Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha work? Do you think that they require megabyte registers? You can do math in parts. That's what add-with-carry (opcode ADC) is for. Further, SSE2 allows the 128-bit packed registers to be used for 64-bit math as well on a 32-bit processor.

Please do tell me you understand how bad it is to store currency, virtual or real, in floating point - assuming that is what you are suggesting.

Further, please do not rant to people about issues you do not understand in the first place.

Mind=blown

But on topic, really like the "sync all" feature for the dundef store. Something I've been wishing was there so I don't have to remember where I left off when I add new items to the store.

While we're at it, can we add a way to customize my character's appearance without having to exit out of the game session? While solo its not an issue, but while in a group its a nuisance. A minor one, though.

They really should have simply designed the mana scaling such that hitting 2.1 billion mana would be a relatively unlikely event. obviously they can't change that now without upsetting people, but hindsight is 20/20.

They can't? I mean, if you scale down everyone's mana and ALL the prices, say, 10 times, or even 100 times... Would anyone really care? I know I wouldn't. In fact, I'd welcome such change.

They can't? I mean, if you scale down everyone's mana and ALL the prices, say, 10 times, or even 100 times... Would anyone really care? I know I wouldn't. In fact, I'd welcome such change.

Yes, people would care. It wouldn't matter to them that the relative value remains unchanged because many people simply wouldn't understand the concept of relative value. What would matter to them is that the numbers they see are smaller, thus the never ending rants that would spring up overnight.

That said, I do understand relative value and couldn't care less if they did this.

Yes, people would care. It wouldn't matter to them that the relative value remains unchanged because many people simply wouldn't understand the concept of relative value. What would matter to them is that the numbers they see are smaller, thus the never ending rants that would spring up overnight.

That said, I do understand relative value and couldn't care less if they did this.

First, if people actually did complain about this it would be silly. But more importantly, what does this solve?

It will make all numbers smaller. It will give room for a higher mana cap with 32-bit integers. It does nothing to fix the economy, which is the real issue here.

Lower the values and increase the relative mana cap, sure, I certainly don't care. But it's not a solution. It's just a small detail.