Why was i VAC banned ?

Alright so i found out i wanted to test DunDef to the limit so i found out i could cheat my way to see what to expect so i did.
So i booted up Local game and started "a memory editor".
I found the values getting everything to the realistic limit, then i found out i wanna play with some people.

I clicked on "Play Online" and then clicked on "Open".
When i clicked "Open" i did not know it will be the end of me playing through steam servers.
So i played with some friends showing off my attack speed and such, i told them it was modded.

After a while the game just crashed, and i was thinking "It's just a bug nothing to worry about".
When i tried log on again i noticed the "Play Online" button was i little darker than usual, i tried to click it but
nothing showed up and yet again i was thinking the same "just a bug".

I tried exit and start the game again, and the same was happening, nothing , not a single thing.
So i better check my VAC status, and what i saw was uneasy to take.

I was banned.
Not only Dungeon Defender was i banned from but also Call of duty MW2.

I know there's not i slightly chance of me getting back my account, but i am the kind of guy who want to know "Why?"

Why was i banned via Open? Open allows modding.
Why was i banned on Call of duty ? It has nothing to do with Dungeon Defenders.

I just want to note i don't hate you're guys/girls i'm not even angry, i just want to know why.

Thanks.

Open still has vac and can ban you if VAC detects the program, IDK but it sounds you left it on and VAC detected you.

Yeah VAC automatically detects and bans you if you have a hack running from their known list of hacks. Doesn't have anything to do with Trendy, it's VALVE that banned you.

VAC bans are delayed never will VAC ban instantly. As such it means you hacked in MW2 and were banned from that. not sure how that affects other games but possibly bans from all steam online games. Only SP works iirc. You'd have to double check that though

Then tell me why i wasn't banned from Counter-Strike too? It runs through VAC right?

Fantasmagore - Thanks a little late but yeye.

I know VAC generally bans by engine

But you're saying you got VAC banned on Modern warfare 2 and it carried over to dungeon defenders?

Actually now that I just THOUGHT about this

MW2 uses id TECH which is off the quake engine

DD uses some type of unreal engine, which are later build overs of the id TECH engine

interesting, but same goes for the source engine... I guess the source engine is more of itself

I'd contact steam support, but if those two engines are connected it may appear that you've actually been banned from both games!

But after reading what you wrote, you're saying that you messed around with dungeon defenders in open mode (which is allowed if I'm not mistaken, I've screwed around in open too) and also received a ban for mw2?

Or maybe it's two separate bans

Anyway steam support is best to ask, even though I don't believe they will tell you what banned you.. but I'd be sure to ask because you don't want to be banned from another different type of game even though they run on a similar engine, unless that's how it works

Here's the link for steam support sign in: https://support.steampowered.com/profile.php?

I you say used program XXX and had it running in the background, and both game 1 and game 2 were VAC bannable for using program XXX. you would get banned in both.

So, you most likely had it running while using both games

I you say used program XXX and had it running in the background, and both game 1 and game 2 were VAC bannable for using program XXX. you would get banned in both.

So, you most likely had it running while using both games

It wouldn't trigger both games as the program won't be touching the other game if it's made for the other one

It's either a engine ban

or the player just cheated in both games (assuming they cheated)

It wouldn't trigger both games as the program won't be touching the other game if it's made for the other one

It's either a engine ban

or the player just cheated in both games (assuming they cheated)

He said memory editor... that means it can be non specific to a game and therefore bannable across many games... So no, it doesn't have to be one or the other ;)

@ OP mind PMing me what program you used?

He said memory editor... that means it can be non specific to a game and therefore bannable across many games... So no, it doesn't have to be one or the other ;)

True, but the likely hood of him not noticing it was still open would be vague, and VAC doesn't "scan" your computer for hacks, it goes off when there is something accessing a core dll file or the process itself. So unless he manually hooked said memory editor to MW2 on purpose, he wouldn't be banned from it.

To my knowledge, just as everyone's said, VAC does ban by game engine. If Trendy didn't create their own engine, which they didn't, the source of the engine i.e. unrealengine is what you're banned from. Thats why you're not banned from Source games because Trendy isn't source. And if you wanted to "Push limits further" you could be banned from all games in the Orange Box yet not games previous to it, because it unveiled Valve's new engine. felt like posting. srry if you knew all this lol.

I thought open was designed for modding the game only (not just simply a no rules mode), and while not mentioned I believed using other programs besides stuff from the DDDK was risky enough to be VAC banned for.... :(

I think I've read something from a trendy employee about this...
Modding is allowed.
Hacking/cheating is not allowed.

Both can result in gain of advantage, but Total Conversions are incompatible with eachother, you can play with people that play that exact same TC.

Extra maps, like mad mana map can be used with official TC on Open mode.

VAC bans are delayed never will VAC ban instantly. As such it means you hacked in MW2 and were banned from that. not sure how that affects other games but possibly bans from all steam online games. Only SP works iirc. You'd have to double check that though

it bans on same Game Engine so i gues Mw2 uses Ut3 engine ?

if you hack on css Your banned from all Source games that use THIS source engine ( aka L4d uses Source engine are ANOTHER one a newer one so if you hack css your not banned at l4d )

Hl1 engine and so on....if you cheat on Ue3 engine with vac your banned from all Ue3 games

VAC does not ban by engine, but by its own version.

IIRC, Counter-Strike 1.6, etc. uses VAC1, all the newer Steam games with VAC(CS:S MW2 DD) use VAC2.

If you are banned by VAC2 you can still play games with VAC1.

I don't normally do this, I rely on others for the entertainment value, but as we are not on the VAC discussions forum I thought you guys might appreciate it.

Step 1: Google

Step 2: Youtube uploads - I have no idea whether this is questionable, uploaders comments shed a little light on it but Im not sure what it means.

Step 3: Which i won't link as some of the sites look very questionable.

Google links 4 & 5 - Ethical hacking forum
Google link 6 - KOS Hacks, ARMA hacks, Battlefield, Hacks, Bad Company, Combat Arms, WarRock, Crossfire, Team Fortress, TF2, Counter Strike, CSS, Hacks, cheats, mods
Google link 7 - Aim bots
Google link 8 - Epic bot

Anyone begin to see the absolutely coincidental pattern here?

I thought open was designed for modding the game only (not just simply a no rules mode), and while not mentioned I believed using other programs besides stuff from the DDDK was risky enough to be VAC banned for.... :(

They originally had said you wouldn't get banned for hacking on Open or Local. When VAC was implemented, I'm guessing they didn't have a choice, though, and so it'll ban for hacking regardless of where you do it. Modding is still legit, though, and you can mod anything you want... It's a little harder than memory editing (at least, to start) but you can do everything that hacking can, with some patience.

Im pretty sure he has benn banned for another game and not for memory editing DD in open mode.

As someone already mentioned, VAC uses delayed banns(some weeks).

if you hack on css Your banned from all Source games that use THIS source engine ( aka L4d uses Source engine are ANOTHER one a newer one so if you hack css your not banned at l4d )

Hl1 engine and so on....if you cheat on Ue3 engine with vac your banned from all Ue3 games

VAC bans by engine up until L4D. After L4D it bans by game. Sources: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1906399 & http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22782122&postcount=10

@quikassassin VAC does detect memory editors in memory, not just changes to exe and .dll files, although that is something else that can get you banned.

MW2 uses id TECH which is off the quake engine

DD uses some type of unreal engine, which are later build overs of the id TECH engine

MW2 runs a highly modified version of the idTech 3 engine

DD uses UDK aka Unreal Engine 3. It has absolutely nothing to do with idTech in any way, they are completely separate engines.

As above MW2 and UE3 are not the same engine

Okay guys! This discussion is over. A google search of him shows he is on a lot of mw2 hacking sites so he flat out got banned... no need to discuss this anymore.