Please fix delayed nightmare Ogre melee DMG calculation

Hey,

as stated in the title...This really needs to be fixed !

It is hard enough as a melee to encounter the nightmare ogres due to the fact that they one/two-hit me (I know you can always get better gear but you have to start somewhere and this problem concerns every melee) but this makes it ridiculous harder...

You just cannot play tactical against those guys...You run towards them, hit them 2 or 3 times and jump away to avoid the damage. When they have smacked their club on the ground trying to hit you, you run towards them again to deal some damage, thinking you can hit him again 3 times until he smacks again.

wrong...cause you have to wait another 2 seconds until he lifts his club back up because if you run towards him while is club is still on the ground you get the full hit damage calculated anyway, although his actual hit happened 2 seconds ago.

I am sure you know what i mean because you notice this very quick when fighting one of those big guys...

Please fix this ! Thank you.

If you run counter clockwise around them (towards/around the arm that doesnt have club) you can kill them without them ever hitting you.
I know this isn't fixing the bug, but makes you able to kill ogre until it gets fixed.

I've kind of identified this problem after just watching them smash Barricade for a while, and I'm curious if we can get a comment on it if it's intended or not.

The problem: Ogres deal damage TWICE when they perform downward club smash attacks. This animation causes them to deal damage once from their actual animation, and then spawns a "splashing" impact graphic/animation which then will also deal increased splash damage to everything around it. This splashing effect is the cause of what hits players and defenses even after the ogre's active attack frames are finished from his smashing animation, because the splashing effect's active frames seem to last for the entirety of its duration rather than just for the first frame(s) it's spawned at.

Look at this screenshot. Since the Ogre's elemental, he's doing physical and elemental damage. But instead of one set of two numbers, you can clearly see two sets of numbers from one attack. No other monsters around. It's only this attack animation that effectively doubles the damage from ogres. The sweeping attack will only deal damage once.

*** deleted ***

Just to keep the thread on topic. Because it's a real bug what the OP is talking about.

And it's not a delayed damage — it's double. Check out the screen in the post above this.

I don't even mind the "double damage" or considering elemental damage, possibly quad damage. Maybe it is by design...

What bothers me is precisely what the OP is saying... that after the smash is done, the shockwave "stays" for about 0.75 seconds. This might not seem like a lot of time, but it really is enough so he can smash without penalty.

If I block, and then I try to slash, I will get "hit" and possibly knocked back a bit even AFTER the animation has clearly finished. If I wait for the entire shockwave to finish, the ogre is ready to swing again, so there is no opening for me.

In a nutshell, it is like a "free" no penalty hit in street fighter.

Disregarding that, it is visually counterintuitive. He already smashed. It should be safe afterwards. Otherwise, make some pillar of fire shoot up afterwards (visual cue not to unblock or run in) and give the ogre some "recovery time" after doing it.

Actually, it's not the shockwave at all. The ogre's club has a damaging bounding box that is active during the entire attack animation AND when the club is being lifted back up off the ground afterwards.

This is easily tested on Insane by standing to the right rear of the ogre immediately after a downward smash and watching as you take damage when the HANDLE of the club comes up and back, and hits your character in the face.

It seems to me that this is at least somewhat intended to work as it is right now, as in the weapon is always supposed to be considered an active attack since it's such a massive thing in the game world. It is also easily avoided by constantly keeping to the left of the ogre and staying on the non-club side while attacking, in any difficulty whenever possible to avoid as much damage as possible.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's not really a bug.

Incorrect. I have attacked ogres from the back left side in Nightmare while they were distracted by Spike blockades and apprentice towers firing at them without taking damage until they performed a sideways swipe. The club itself never hit me, but it came close and I took damage, hence the conclusion that the entire bounding box is set as a damage zone for the club.

AH right yeah i understand(Still in the christmas 'spirit'). Still, it needs to be fixed with a maximum scale to actual "club size" or some such.