What should I upgrade on my Mystical armor?

I just started playing this game, and after about 40 hours I finally started getting Mystical armor.. it's been a pain to get as I have no friends that play and had no one carry me in.

Now i've searched around but im still not really positive on what to upgrade and don't want to waste mana.

I was going to go straight tower damage since the main characters I use are strict tower builds, however i've heard you can add resistances every 10 levels and you should do that? I'm pushing nearly 400 tower damage and my other stats are 200, however it still has less dimishing returns according to what i've read? I'm in full non-upgrades entry level mystical and still get one shot.. so not sure how much resistances would help.

Basically, i'm a noob teach me how to play. Anything else you "wish you knew that before you did something" tips would be nice. :)

If the armor is for a tower/aura/trap builder, upgrade the stats on it. If the armor is for the hero you will use during waves, like a DPS hero, upgrade general and fire resistance, then stats.

Max resist is kind of a must for your active player (the one you'll be DPSing on), atleast for nightmare.
Im still not sure what the optimal ammount is, due to the nightmare resistance nerf/buff/nerf/buff/buff/nerf/buff...
It keeps changing :/
But ATM its 50% on nightmare, meaning youl only benefit from half of your resistances.

=\ at soft cap( non set), an aprentice will get one shot by pretty much every ogre/dew/spider melee in tier 3 maps. resists are useless just learn to juke.

If the armor is for a tower/aura/trap builder, upgrade the stats on it. If the armor is for the hero you will use during waves, like a DPS hero, upgrade general and fire resistance, then stats.

Or you know upgrade all the resistances. I find that I take more damage from poison enemies than other types because of their immunity to ensnares personally.

Well right now I have a 74 monk and apprentice. I use the monk to drop slow/strength weaken and sometimes lightning, and I play on the apprentice. Both are 100% spec into auras/towers. I have no DPS character yet, as I haven't found the will to level up another character to 74. I have a 65 huntress and will level her up soon or later.

Is straight tower attack the best option for all 100ish upgrades on mythical armor? I assume these characters wont be my active character after wave 2-3 after I get my setup done, I would switch to my huntress and repair/upgrade/dps with her... but i'm not quite there yet.