Buff towers rather than nerfing auras/traps?

So, I get the impression that the strategy from Trendy was to nerf traps and auras, to increase usage of towers. This is because towers were used less and less in end-game matches and NM mode.

The reason towers were used less and less wasn't wholly because of low strength, but more because:

• They die much quicker than traps/auras
  • Ninjas can jump behind them and kill them in seconds
  • Mages can kill them, either with fireballs or skeletons, whilst being out of range of the towers

So it made sense to use traps/auras - they last longer, do just as much damage over just as large an area, and can't be targeted by mobs.

However, my point is, NM mode is becoming harder due to the nerfs of the traps/auras, it's becoming less of a fun challenge and more of a boring grind (for those that actually have the willpower to attempt it). But rather than nerf traps/auras, why not buff towers instead? It'd make them a more desirable choice for end-game matches and NM mode. I like the idea of all 4 classes being utilised for certain strategies in matches - but that can't be forced upon people by just nerfing the strongest defences until they're in line with the others. Surely there's a way that nerfs and buffs can be met in the middle to keep NM mode hard, but more achievable.

I realise NM mode is designed to be incredibly tough, and people may argue that I'm just complaining because it's too hard, and I know that some players with high-spec guardians and good mythical armour have towers which can be used well in NM mode- however making it slightly more accessible and more fun couldn't be a bad thing...

Thoughts?

Hey Trendy. Apprentice towers (dunno about squire) are working pretty well in NM. Summit is an edge case really, people avoid towers because of the dragon (more so than ninja imo). Don't forget that! If you want to encourage tower usage on NM summit, then nerf dragon damage to towers (or let the dragon damage aura/trap lulz). No need at all to change the gameplay of all the other maps due to the summit edge case.

gg

I wouldn't say auras/traps do just as much damage as turrets at all. Sure lightning aura vs lightning tower the DPS vs DU is pretty comparable (I think aura wins this though lightning is definitely better in just the one vs one), but inferno vs fireball? Not even close, fireball wins by miles. Especially since fireball has no downtime.

Towers are still better at killing big mob like ogre, you cannot stack 10 proxi at one spot but 10 MM is possible :P

Auras and traps radius are nefted cuz they are just ridiculously big. With 600 T.range pre-patch, my healing aura can cover like 2/3 of the map of alc lab! Same goes for elec aura and proxi. They should be nefted a little bit but 40% is just too much, ~20% is better. Maybe they will reverse it in the next few days, we'll see. :D

I wouldn't say auras/traps do just as much damage as turrets at all. Sure lightning aura vs lightning tower the DPS vs DU is pretty comparable (I think aura wins this though lightning is definitely better in just the one vs one), but inferno vs fireball? Not even close, fireball wins by miles. Especially since fireball has no downtime.

I may have been wrong about the damage comparisons - all depends on individual stats really, but if you combine an ensnare/lightning then most things will get killed before getting to the other side in a comparable fashion to something walking the same distance whilst being hit with a tower.

Ensnare + Fireball is the same DU, though in fire damage, but the damage is certainly higher. Lightning tower is 1 less DU for more damage and a similar slowing disabling effect.

There are two reasons to use auras/traps over towers. 1. less DU (4 inferno 5 fireball 5 electric 7 lightning) and 2. Don't die incredibly easily. But only those two. Remember that you can combine strength drain and ensare/gas with towers!

I think part of the issue is they fear a point where they become powerful enough that enemies can't get past, and players can just stand behind them and repair them infinitely either normally or with the apprentice/adept abilities. The only real solution to this I can think of would be to make it so that after a tower is below a certain percentage of health, enemies can pass freely through them, but the tower doesn't blow up and can keep firing at the next enemy. Or make it so rather than enemies dealing X damage to the tower, they attack it a couple of times each, then pass through.

One major problem I see is the new spider mob. Spiders are ridiculously damaging to towers. They don't even need to destroy a tower to cause significant damage, they can simply web it (which is AOE as well). The web drops the attack rate of the tower so it is basically worthless during the duration of the web, which can't even be removed by repairing.

All of these problems can be avoided by doing one simple thing, not use the towers. Auras/traps completely negate any ill effects of spiders attacking your towers. Not only that, but the DU cost for some of these towers is ridiculous compared to their aura counterparts. I love the DST but 8 DU is pretty insane for a tower that has zero aoe and such a massive charge rate.

One major problem I see is the new spider mob. Spiders are ridiculously damaging to towers. They don't even need to destroy a tower to cause significant damage, they can simply web it (which is AOE as well). The web drops the attack rate of the tower so it is basically worthless during the duration of the web, which can't even be removed by repairing.

All of these problems can be avoided by doing one simple thing, not use the towers. Auras/traps completely negate any ill effects of spiders attacking your towers. Not only that, but the DU cost for some of these towers is ridiculous compared to their aura counterparts. I love the DST but 8 DU is pretty insane for a tower that has zero aoe and such a massive charge rate.

Yeah - after playing quite a few rounds of NM, I've found that towers get destroyed by a combination of spiders and ninjas a few waves in.