70+, why the increased XP requirement?

Hmm, does anyone know (google doesn't, or I failed at googling) what was the idea behind greatly increasing the required experience points for leveling above 70? As far as I can see, it just made people farm glitterhelm over and over again to get to the cap. I myself too feel like the game pretty much begins the moment you reach the highest level here, because this is often required to play any higher difficulty setting - namely, nightmare.
Just like GuildWars is/was - level 20 could be reached in literally hours, and then you travel to another location (island) where the actual game starts.

I think they wanted it to take longer. To get to lvl 70 takes around 3 mil exp, thats 2 runs of insane glitter for me. One run takes about 10-20 mins and I can get level 70 in roughly 40-50 mins. 74 however takes 18mil exp and takes me about 2-3 hours to get. I think the idea behind it was to make it harder to reach the max level, not sure what else there is to it.

I think it's to give time to those that could plays 10 hours a day so they can level up first, farm harder maps for gear, setup a nice afk shop full of decent or better mythicals, before the average player could even get their first 74.

No i agree with post, This game isn't a game about levelling. Levelling isn't particularly interesting, it was good when it was quick.

I believe it was because of all the carrying on from people about how easy it was to get from 0-70. The sad part is the rewards for lvling from 70+ aren't really that good. 8 stat points a level is nice, but it seems like each level only gives a max upgrade of 20 mana still. Oh well, not really a huge deal.

I think they wanted it to take longer. To get to lvl 70 takes around 3 mil exp, thats 2 runs of insane glitter for me. One run takes about 10-20 mins and I can get level 70 in roughly 40-50 mins. 74 however takes 18mil exp and takes me about 2-3 hours to get. I think the idea behind it was to make it harder to reach the max level, not sure what else there is to it.

Yes, it is harder, sure, but I'm wondering what was the reasoning behind making it harder... To make people farm more Glitterhelm? I doubt...

So that the level cap isn't immediately hit by everyone within 5 minutes of it being increased.

Actually why would it be wrong for everyone to be at level cap almost instantly? As I said, the game really starts the moment you get to it (i.e. you can wear mythical gear which is pretty much the only way to play on nightmare atm, unless you have days to farm nonmythical highend gear... but that also means farming glitterhelm for those 4 levels is nothing for you anyway).

Think back to when you played through the entire game. Were you level 70 by the time (or at least part way through) the insane campaign? How about the fact that every time you played Insane Mix Mode Survival but got no XP for it because you were 70?

Yes, because they up'd it now people are grinding Glitterhelm, but for new players it gives good progression instead of coming to a brick wall at 70 and getting nothing for it. I see the larger XP requirements as a pool for all the times you do survival so that any and all XP doesn't get wasted.

Obviously grinding to 74 will put you in the same scenario as before, but for the more casual players it simply means no wasted XP.

Getting to 74 isn't that aweful, but seeing mythical loot having 3 times the stats my fully upped gear has makes me sad though, could've make those for 71 etc too. Then just make the 74's stronger, but not as ridiculous as 3x the stats as non mythical. Maybe make only 10^ for 71 and 20^for 72 (still being mythical stats, only less ups) and then the er 250^for the 74s.

I hate every moment of leveling my char, in order to equip the gear. So i feel whole more xp req for levels is artificial time sink.

I think it's because they wanted it to take awhile to get to 74 while doing challenges or the campaign, but they didn't anticipate people farming Glitter just to hit 74 so they can use Mythical gear. Of course, people doing that would have been obvious to any one of us. No one is going to waste their time getting to 74 slowly when they can farm to 74 quickly, equip much better gear, and use that gear to start clearing the new content. It just wasn't well thought out. Kind of like Spiders. Or Nightmare mode in general (which is actually really fun, despite the odd choice of increasing health and decreasing damage substantially, even though most everyone still gets one-shot).

Think back to when you played through the entire game. Were you level 70 by the time (or at least part way through) the insane campaign? How about the fact that every time you played Insane Mix Mode Survival but got no XP for it because you were 70?

Yes, because they up'd it now people are grinding Glitterhelm, but for new players it gives good progression instead of coming to a brick wall at 70 and getting nothing for it. I see the larger XP requirements as a pool for all the times you do survival so that any and all XP doesn't get wasted.

Obviously grinding to 74 will put you in the same scenario as before, but for the more casual players it simply means no wasted XP.

That's a good point I believe, I even recall one of my friends saying he hates how the XP is "wasted". I didn't pay much attention to it, because - as previously stated - I was used to this in GuildWars.
Also, I've gotta say that it's not a complete "waste" of XP anymore, because you levelup your pets this way now.

I think it's because they wanted it to take awhile to get to 74 while doing challenges or the campaign, but they didn't anticipate people farming Glitter just to hit 74 so they can use Mythical gear.

Umm, redoing insane campaign for the 9284492384th time? Nothankyou. ;-) Nightmare, on the other hand, requires that mythical loot. Because otherwise, seriously, being onehit by a spider is... uh. Funny.

I hate every moment of leveling my char, in order to equip the gear. So i feel whole more xp req for levels is artificial time sink.

Sadly that was my impression too - that's why I decided to ask here. So far I buy Yanahma's explanation, although I personally don't find it fun to level up in DD. I just need to get my chars to 74 so that I can go nightmare without wanting to kill everyone around me because of the constant webbing (a web on a web on a web on a web on a we... respawn in 5 secs).

Last time i checked this game wasn't an MMO. If i wanted to play a real MMO, i'd play the old republic. Which is what im gonna do since it's a far better MMO than this game could ever become -_-.

I don't think the grind to 74 would have been bad if the XP from Nightmare was boosted alongside the higher XP curve. Any time you see new expansions for ARPG games, you get more XP out of out of the new areas and from the new monsters so that you level up faster and get the stats and the gear to keep up with the challenge as you go through without having to grind levels.

Since Nightmare and Insane Mistmyre Forest don't give increased XP, and the difficulty isn't really linear across the Nightmare campaign, you're pretty much expected to be max level to wear the gear and make significant progress through the difficulty. I don't think a lot of people are excited to grind Insane Glitterhelm for 3 hours just so they can play the new stuff.

Granted, if this game was designed around leveling and using just one hero, the XP curve rom 70-74 wouldn't be so bad. But we're talking about anywhere between 3 to 8 heroes to level up. That's anywhere from 45 to 120 million XP to grind out. I've never been so glad for the split-screen gameplay to cut those numbers almost in half, but I think this curve really needs to be looked at. Especially if the level cap's going to increase in the future.

Getting your first character to 70 through your first play-through was definitely time consuming, and felt like an achievement. However, when you started doing the harder difficulties and saw the need to start using more heroes to mix up your defenses, it didn't take long to power-level them up to a point where you could use them to expand your strategies. Personally, I thought this was really smart design since it eliminated unnecessary grind-time. I'd really love to see this come back for leveling to 74

i have SIX 74's really isnt that bad afk glit while watching t.v isnt that hard :]

I'm all for upping NM exp... I think the grind is a bit long but it makes it so you can't just instantly be 74 like 1-70 was =\

This game isn't like an other MMO. There are no quests or tasks to do. If you actually want to hit 74, you have to grind. It's the simple truth. It wasn't too much of a grind before the level cap (You still would have a ton to do once hitting 70), but now it's just the same thing over and over again. When the level cap gets raised again and again, less and less people will be hitting that higher cap. And since it will most likely be super hard to hit the level cap that trendy brings us, less people will play because no one can get there except the hardcore gamers.

Uh, honestly, I give up. I'm sick of grinding Glitterhelm. Can't really play NM without 74lvl builders either, so... Time to wait for another patch to see what TE's planning.

I really didn't intend to complain, but after 50th (or more? and no, that's not an overstatement) Glitterhelm insane run, I just can't even look at that map anymore. Fully leveled 4 of my characters, there are 4 more.

Uh, honestly, I give up. I'm sick of grinding Glitterhelm. Can't really play NM without 74lvl builders either, so... Time to wait for another patch to see what TE's planning.

I really didn't intend to complain, but after 50th (or more? and no, that's not an overstatement) Glitterhelm insane run, I just can't even look at that map anymore. Fully leveled 4 of my characters, there are 4 more.
ill sell u glit runs 25m/game :P the crystal will never get hit !

I got 3 chars to 74, and im giving up already.

Seriously, most non-korean MMO's I played actually doesn't have that much grinding, if any. Most of them offer enough quests, dungeons, or pvp that gives xp to level up. I don't think the latest DLC provided enough content to even level one char to 74, for a game that encourages multiple chars.

Oh well I ordered skyrim, and bought star wars TOR (but not enough peak quota to download client yet :()...

I kinda stop playing after testing the leveling curve. Did 1-3 glittering insane, got extremely bored and haven't touched the game since. That or even nightmare content. Either the game is curved for item looting etc, or for leveling. Being both in a casual game gets me bored as there is no real purpose other then for several stat gain.

Might I add the stat gain from 70-74 is obsolete compared to the stats you get from items.

Was no purpose, I got extremely bored. The only reason I never notice the leveling was when I first started you progress throughout the campaign.

Everything is just repetition now and the leveling was the last I could stand. I still jump on forums though to see the state of the game and mess with people.

I have 2 lvl 74s, grinding on insane glitter. Getting your characters from 70 to 74 was awful.
Getting good gears for nightmare is even more awful -.-

I do get the fact that they wanted to raise the exp requirement, the harder the challenge, the better the game. But running glitter over and over again bores the players, and its not a challenge of the game, but a challenge of endurance lol. Once you've reached the 74 mark, your motivation turns to mythical items, and just when you think everything is done.... ARGH