Sign in to follow this  
jetah

Patch 7.15 Discussion

Hardcore Nightmare mode?

What? Really?

Is next week "Hardcore Insane Nightmare +400% spawn mix-mode chicken survival mode" or something?

Making the hardest difficulty made sense, it wasn't thought out and winged, now throwing something else randomly on top of it? I'm really starting to think you're pulling ideas out of a hat at random over there :)

This sorta thing is getting a bit redundant, the game is continuing to be broken.

*sigh* I stopped playing for a few weeks and when I come back there is already something harder than Nightmare mode?

I guess Trendy thinks that adding difficulty without any real new content is what it takes to keep a game alive. I'm sorry Trendy but no that's not how it works. Well, it COULD but not they way they're doing it. Every other week they either add better armor, add a different difficulty, up the hero level, or up the amount of stats you can put on the heroes. -_-; With that said please tell me what is the point in the playing the game now when there will be better armor a month from now or the level cap will be 80 or there will be a new difficutly in which I have 70% reduced movement speed (just giving an example). You should just go back to making new characters...you had something there. :|

Tys I dunno about performance decrease over time? I have had a game running for over 30 hours and its still smooth...
There is quite a few people in the technical support forum that has problem with it. I'm one of them, Started some patches ago. It rapes one of my cores, which rapes my computer. After shutting down the game for about a 25-60 seconds it's all smooth again.

Towers are fine the way they are. Auras are still too powerful really, if people are still using almost nothing but auras and traps, something is still wrong. You should be able to use a good collection of all 4 characters throughout the campaign really. Sure each map will have it's specialty but otherwise it should be fairly balanced between builders.

Auras are too powerful? Really? They go off in seconds on NM, their effectiveness is nerfed really hard and here comes the range nerf... which makes blocks/towers protection even harder. I mean, ogres and wyrns already shoot from outside auras (500 range). Now you'll have archers and mages.

I could agree with something like Electros are too powerful... but then again, have you seen Lightning tower in action? It's just as powerful and with correct placement spiders aren't a problem for it — it's 360, you know. And with the sick range of NM gear it's... well, I'll just say it kills wyrns on Ramparts right at their spawns. And it's wallhacking. And you don't need to repair it a dozen times per wave.

And you already need at least 2 of the heroes — auras and mage/squire towers. Traps are used to protect towers. Pure aura/trap build isn't that good in NM Survivals/UMFs.

I strongly disagree that auras need a range nerf. It feels like the decision is made based on the campaign mode only — which is a huge mistake if we talk about Nightmare.

UPD: Or maybe some Trendy guy opened Misty Leaderboards, spotted some 2 pages of wave 30s and decided NM is too easy if so many people beat it so quickly... Yeah, Misty Leaderboards Top consists of 2 (!) pages of cheaters. And it goes for almost any map.

Double respawn wait-time in nightmare

* 40% reduction on Trap/Aura effective range on Nightmare

* Increased Nightmare wyvern flight speed by 40%

Strongly disagree with these three changes as wyverns are already impossible to deal with because the only anti-air defenses are towers and they are easily destroyed by spiders. Decreasing the size of auras makes them weaker against anti-air.

Nightmare is already hard. No reason to make it harder IMO. That said, tower builds need a buff. Nerfing traps and auras isn't going to make people use already ineffective towers. It's just going to make sure that nothing is effective.

Yea ... so did NM Alch Labs the other day with lvl 74s with decent resists. Our towers were already taking a beating when a bunch of us chain-died and they want to double the respawn? (READ: imminent failure without clinch respawn and repair skill(?)/frustrations)

Traps and Auras are already **** in NM Mode. They're already significantly less effective and have reduced health. 40% reduction to an aura range 10 means it drops to 6 (simple math but possibly skewed by Trendy's exponential formulas) and we've gotta use more auras with the same DU O_o.

And yea ... incoming wyverns, gg, wipe mode frustration fest.

I'm just waiting for the patch that makes me put the game down for good. I postulate that Trendy's tired of maintaining this game and once they've got our money, they'll make things impossible to play and impossible to revert to the good ol' patch 7.12 days ....

I wouldn't mind, but given how reliant I am on using auras to deal with wyverns / mitigate their bullcrap (utilizing the high vertical range, mind you), this'll kill a lot of my setups. And I can't really rely on MM towers if they won't be covered by an aura to shoot said wyverns down in their flight paths. Hrgh! Give back more health in exchange?

To me it seems like all the balance changes made are for the already fully geared end-game player, such as this.
(Not counting the large number of fixes/glitches corrected.)

For those of us trying to work up into that gear, we still have quite a ways to go towards effectively clearing Nightmare on any map that can drop good loot. Currently the best gear I can effectively farm is low grade mythics (40-60^, most of which is lower stats than the iUMF gear I was doing in 7.12.) It is rarely selling for more than 1 million a piece. (The few really good ones I have to keep for myself, hoping to complete another set to replace my 'good' 50^ godlies from before)

Trendy, I just ask you to keep in mind that not all players have the stats posted above (including me) when working on balance. Insane campaign maps are too easy for me and my friends (with iUMF gear) but nightmare is still beyond us quite a bit as a group. Solo I can nearly clear most maps, my gear holds me back and drops from those maps rarely seem to be much of an upgrade. I like the challenge of Nightmare, just not the gear progression.

I wouldn't mind, but given how reliant I am on using auras to deal with wyverns / mitigate their bullcrap (utilizing the high vertical range, mind you), this'll kill a lot of my setups. And I can't really rely on MM towers if they won't be covered by an aura to shoot said wyverns down in their flight paths. Hrgh! Give back more health in exchange?

Oh! You made me think of something else.

Now I can place str/slow combo to protect blocks and I can repair auras staying out of Ogre attack range (which is huge). After the nerf I'd have to either leave more area unprotected (therefore not slowing mobs down) or place it to cover the maximum area in front of the blocks, but risk losing it because freaking Ogre/Ninja one-shots me when I try to repair. One shots me like there's no strength drain at all, like there's no apprentice guardian buffing it (along with mage blocks of course but still buffing the aura as well), like I have 6% resists instead of 65%+ across the board. Oh, and of course I go into doubled respawn time. Grand!

To Kaaryn: there was a perfect post on that matter. The title speaks for itself: Reverse Progression. You beat (abusing bug/glitch or just using plain hacks) Nightmare, get the best gear, you can play nightmare and the patches are made based on you and are made to bring some challenge to you. Everyone else seems to be forgotten.

UPD: I'd like to clarify why I am so negative here. Besides the fact that I truly think that these nerfs aren't needed there's one more thing: it's happening way too often. Just at the point when I finally farmed fine sets for my builders, when I started to approach NM Survivals past wave 15, started beating wave 3 of UMF2 when the Ogres are kind enough not to run in circles... Here it comes. I need to start over with my setups. I love this, thinking of new setups... but to some extent. And this situatuion is obviously out of that range. I don't like something being just stolen from under my nose. Which is the case with this 3 major patches a week, 3 major nerfs per patch update strategy. It really feels like the game is more rewarding for bug/hack in the first days after release way of playing rather than farm better gear step by step.

Oh! You made me think of something else.

Now I can place str/slow combo to protect blocks and I can repair auras staying out of Ogre attack range (which is huge). After the nerf I'd have to either leave more area unprotected (therefore not slowing mobs down) or place it to cover the maximum area in front of the blocks, but risk losing it because freaking Ogre/Ninja one-shots me when I try to repair. One shots me like there's no strength drain at all, like there's no apprentice guardian buffing it (along with mage blocks of course but still buffing the aura as well), like I have 6% resists instead of 65%+ across the board. Oh, and of course I go into doubled respawn time. Grand!

To Kaaryn: there was a perfect post on that matter. The title speaks for itself: Reverse Progression. You beat (abusing bug/glitch or just using plain hacks) Nightmare, get the best gear, you can play nightmare and the patches are made based on you and are made to bring some challenge to you. Everyone else seems to be forgotten.

Diablo 3 is looking better and better all the time.

420 megs and yet there is no new content?

What, are you the worst programmers on the planet or something?

And I understand this is basically the case for every patch?

420 megs and yet there is no new content?

What, are you the worst programmers on the planet or something?

And I understand this is basically the case for every patch?

Yep...I think it's time I uninstall this game and come back in a few months. Maybe by then the devs will have gotten their act together.

When you make changes to a file, in most games, you need to replace that file when you patch it. They changed files that had a combined size of 420mb.

As a player, I can steamroll my way through the campaign on INSANE difficulty with my tower apprentice with just over 500 tower damage, carrying 3 afk players. Its almost too easy. However, I get destroyed solo on the 4-5th wave of NM on Deeper Wells. My gear is about as good as I can get for myself, and I am unable to complete for myself the content necessary for me to get better gear. Short of buying from other players (which I'm having to resort to) I've hit a brick wall as far as progression is concerned...

How most games do keybindings is there's a file that gets updated each patch with the default keybindings. When you first play the game, it creates a second file that initially copies over the default bindings, then changes it based on any changes you make. Under normal circumstances, a game update should never change that second file with the personal customized keybindings.

However, they added new functions to be keybound that weren't in the 7.14 keybindings files. That is why you lost your keybindings. They needed to delete the second file and make a new one using the 7.15 defaults.

Only 420mb! Your lucky, I log in to find myself starting a DL of 1,563.8mb..........and at only a 22.3kb/s DL avg, FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only wish that I was back at home one real internet, it still would take a while to DL, but not 2 flippin days! GG

It baffles me how a company can get it wrong EVERY time.

Trendy need to look at what things they are going to change and do the complete opposite.

Post from the DD Steam forum that sums up my feelings nicely (Do you know what forums I am referring to, Trendy? I doubt it):

"My ISP has a daily cap. Daily, I can allot about 100 MB to download patches, but that varies depending on what my family does during the day. This last week there has been a 1GB patch, followed by 400MB, followed up again today with another 400 MB. I even went so far as to check "do not keep this game updated" under preferences. For whatever reason, DD is ignoring my preference and updates anyways. Most of us who have caps must sit in front of Steam while it updates, just so we can pause the update when it gets to our cap. It's not fun.

I've played a lot of games via Steam. I've never seen another game go through this many large patches in this short of time. I'm at the point where I am going to have to shelve the game."

Of course, the only developer(s) who post here are probably too busy pitching their overpriced DLC.

You people just like to whine about everything :D If you dont whine, maybe they dont have to rebalance everything in every patch, thus change every file over and over again.

Try making a notepad .txt document, type 10 letters in it, check size, change 1 letter, check size again. Thats just how it goes, you change something, you gotta replace the whole file. Would you rather take 1billion files, each with 1 variable?

You people just like to whine about everything :D If you dont whine, maybe they dont have to rebalance everything in every patch, thus change every file over and over again.

Try making a notepad .txt document, type 10 letters in it, check size, change 1 letter, check size again. Thats just how it goes, you change something, you gotta replace the whole file. Would you rather take 1billion files, each with 1 variable?

Diff and Patch. Learn em, love em, program accordingly.

Also, I love how the Hardcore button for Nightmare is under difficulty instead of Options. Brilliant.

* Reduced Player's Happiness, Interest, & Likelihood of further purchases by 40%

QFT. I am playing Grotesque Tactics at the moment and this game, but when Torchlight 2 comes out I'm dropping what is quickly becoming a truly god awful game so fast.

* Reduced Player's Happiness, Interest, & Likelihood of further purchases by 40%

And the fact this number overlaps with the aura nerf (and wyvern buff) one is just a coincidence, right. ;-)

It's not Trendy's fault if you have slow internet (and/or capped internet - I mean come on, it's almost 2012!)

Patch notes for 7.15a

-Accessibility range of Nightmare modes reduced by another %40.
-THE two training dummies in Deeper Well for NM DPS testing moved to UMF2 wave 14 build phase and will not show dps under 1 million.
-Wyverns flying attitude increased by %240 on nightmare difficulty ,also they have now new diving ability (similar to DEW's charge).Players without enough range on their tower stats can not touch them easily anymore until they dive into your towers and hitting them already.
- After weeks of coding , we introduce new armor type "Typical" . These typical armors will loose %1 resist every 10 hours if you don't upgrade your armor. With this addition we will not need to find new ways of reducing resist anymore , after some point every typical armor will be useless and this will force users to buy new armors so often from AFK shops.

I rarely give my opinion on patches, and nerfs. But the range reduction is absolute nonsense. Auras/Traps were nerfd at the start on Nightmare, and i have no problem, i have adapted to it. But changing core mechanics to this non-logical values is just a way to punch players in the face. This has nothing to do with balance. If you think auras are too strong, i dont mind if you even lower the damage of lightningt auras down to 20% of its base value, they were never meant (at least i think so) to kill big stuff, more to wither some hp away and kill kobolds.

With this patch you pretty much killed all access for players without "uber-gear" to make any progress on nightmare (not that it was even easy before the patch...).