I've noticed a trend lately. When I talk about DLC being optional, people claim it's not. That they have to have it to be viable in the game. The thing is, that's only true if you're playing the DLC. You can still play all the original content with nothing but what the original content provided.

So that led me to thinking about why people play the game. Obviously, the people saying they need DLC are doing so because of the weapons, armor and pets. In short, the loot. They need better, faster, stronger. Constantly. If they had such loot, what would they do? Would they start playing the same levels they've been farming, but for fun now, instead of the loot?

I started playing DD for fun. And for the most part, it's stayed that way. One of my goals is always to get the achievements. Sometimes, I'll even suffer through un-fun stuff to get there. But mostly, I play the game and get the achievements as they come. And they usually do.

So are there any other people out there that still play the game for fun, even after 200+ hours?

So far as I can tell, the only thing remotely "fun" in this game was being a freshly minted character or the theorycrafting and looting. Whatever TD elements that initially drew me to the game are pretty much gone.

I do, of course I'm a casual casual player, not a hardcore casual player. I prefer to play on hard with pre- super loot equipment. I said it before, but hard is the most balance of the difficulties. You can play either as a tower or dps, solo or group with no problems and as long as you don't care about the super loot it can still be challenging.

The only people not having fun are the hardcore crowd that need the top end loot and to beat the hardest difficulties.

I do, of course I'm a casual casual player, not a hardcore casual player. I prefer to play on hard with pre- super loot equipment. I said it before, but hard is the most balance of the difficulties. You can play either as a tower or dps, solo or group with no problems and as long as you don't care about the super loot it can still be challenging.

The only people not having fun are the hardcore crowd that need the top end loot and to beat the hardest difficulties.

I have to say, prior to the first DLC, I enjoyed all of the Hard difficulty, and got halfway through the campaign on Insane, solo. It was less fun, because it seemed slightly unfair with the timer and all. Since then, I've learned a lot, and I think I could probably have solo'd the rest with that knowledge.

I still really enjoy figuring out strategies to deal with what's being thrown at me, but I find that's happening less and less.

How can you not have fun with this, DLC or not, and if it's not fun, why not play something else?

I can see myself enjoying this for months to come, online play is always fun. I just pick up whatever good loot i find, occasionally spend mana to buy more, and occasionally spend some time clearing out the Item Box and upgrading my stuff. The latter is tedious but DD makes it almost enjoyable.

I've noticed a trend lately. When I talk about DLC being optional, people claim it's not. That they have to have it to be viable in the game. The thing is, that's only true if you're playing the DLC. You can still play all the original content with nothing but what the original content provided.

So that led me to thinking about why people play the game. Obviously, the people saying they need DLC are doing so because of the weapons, armor and pets. In short, the loot. They need better, faster, stronger. Constantly. If they had such loot, what would they do? Would they start playing the same levels they've been farming, but for fun now, instead of the loot?

I started playing DD for fun. And for the most part, it's stayed that way. One of my goals is always to get the achievements. Sometimes, I'll even suffer through un-fun stuff to get there. But mostly, I play the game and get the achievements as they come. And they usually do.

So are there any other people out there that still play the game for fun, even after 200+ hours?

It's called human nature. People WANT TO IMPROVE. It's a natural thing. People see a new difficulty, they want to reach it. Period.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun at the same time, but this game is currently "time-exclusive". Once you get legendary defender, the only way to improve is to grind survival or do UMF with friends. That's insanely boring because its the same repetitious thing for 4-6 hours straight. NO save feature, nothing. You get ONE disconnect....it's over. Gotta start all over again. Stupid game design.

Don't know about playing for fun, but strangely I've been having more fun reading people's comments/threads on this forum than actually playing DD.

Seen many well written ones, but also some that replied without actually reading lol. It's time to play Forum Defenders!

There are 2 very different aspects to this game. What you are calling fun I would call actual gameplay content. You know... doing challenges and campaign maps for the sake of the maps.

The other aspect is loot. And loot is a funny thing. It sucks people in and keeps them pining for more. Especially in this game where there never seems to be a cap on loot for more than a couple weeks.

So if I've completed all the maps, the only room for fun is new maps. Dlc provides that. For loot, it doesn't matter either way. If you're sucked into the loot cycle, then the promise of the best loot in the game can't be ignored.

In either regard, dlc is not optional to continue the game. It is mandatory. If you're playing the original game still and having fun I would guess you haven't finished all the maps and challenges yet and also somehow have the mental strength to avoid loot psychology. :P

So if I've completed all the maps, the only room for fun is new maps.

There're also challenges (not necessarily those given to you by the game, but also self-made challenges), trying out new strategies, etc. Maybe you just need more imagination. There's also the whole modding kit which is free, as I recall right.

There're also challenges (not necessarily those given to you by the game, but also self-made challenges), trying out new strategies, etc. Maybe you just need more imagination. There's also the whole modding kit which is free, as I recall right.

Thanks, I was going to post something similar!

The original game had 4 characters with completely different strategies. And 13 maps. Even assuming you don't mix and match, that's 52 things to do. And then there were challenges... 12 I think? (Not counting the PvP one.) There's another 48 things to do. Oh, and 4 difficulty levels, so multiply all that by 4. (For those not counting along at home, that's 400 things to do.)

There are also different weapons for the characters, though I'll admit most of them don't make any real difference... So it doesn't add that much to it. But it does add some.

I'll admit I have been playing the DLC a bit, but I haven't completed the original game yet. I've still got like 7 challenges left to complete on insane.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have its problems. The disconnect issue is my biggest complaint about DD, and has been for a long time. It's inexcusable in my book.

But it's possible to have a lot of fun despite the problems. But instead, people aren't... They're grinding and complaining about having to grind. After the first DLC, the game took a right-hand turn and stopped being about strategies and started being about loot. Not because it had to be, but because it could be.

And I'm a little disappointed that people can't step back and just have fun.

I'm not saying not to voice your complaints. Trendy needs to know what's wrong with the game. But there's a section for suggestions that hardly gets used. Instead, people fill up general with complaints and complaining and demands.

I don't know what glory days you're trying to refer to, but I was here from launch and it's always been about the loot and never about any strategies. What strategies are you talking about? And what artificial challenges are you talking about? 400 things to do? I suppose if you enjoy beating a game on insane and then going back and playing it on hard and then on medium because you have nothing else to do...that could be considered some kind of strategy and/or self imposed "challenge"

I played the mobile version for a bit before the pc version launched. you should try that out and see what you make of the core of the game afterwards

I don't know what glory days you're trying to refer to, but I was here from launch and it's always been about the loot and never about any strategies. What strategies are you talking about? And what artificial challenges are you talking about? 400 things to do? I suppose if you enjoy beating a game on insane and then going back and playing it on hard and then on medium because you have nothing else to do...that could be considered some kind of strategy and/or self imposed "challenge"

I played the mobile version for a bit before the pc version launched. you should try that out and see what you make of the core of the game afterwards

I'm talking about how I played the game, from day 1. See, the game wasn't about the loot. I used towers to beat the game from easy through hard, and halfway through insane. And then I started leveling my second character. Loot increased stats for my towers, but I only DPS'd in emergencies. It was all about the towers.

Maybe you went for the loot, and used it as your strategy, but that's not the only valid way to play the game. There's plenty more to do.

I'm talking about how I played the game, from day 1. See, the game wasn't about the loot. I used towers to beat the game from easy through hard, and halfway through insane. And then I started leveling my second character. Loot increased stats for my towers, but I only DPS'd in emergencies. It was all about the towers.

Maybe you went for the loot, and used it as your strategy, but that's not the only valid way to play the game. There's plenty more to do.

I don't care if all you want to do is beat your best score in ramparts hard....but other people who PAID for this game, want to explore every facet of the game but are being forced with the ultimatum of not doing it at all....or spending unhealthy amounts of time preparing for the difficulty.

People who come on here and criticize 9/10 WANT to keep playing Dungeon Defenders but are being stone walled by uneven progression. When they complain, they are ignored and ridiculed. And since it seems Trendy isn't releasing any FREE content updates for campaign or challenges, that's another fragmentation of the community that I'm not even going to get into.

I'm amazed they didn't charge money for the christmas level. But the story maps aren't going to be free, that's quite apparent.

I don't care if all you want to do is beat your best score in ramparts hard....but other people who PAID for this game, want to explore every facet of the game but are being forced with the ultimatum of not doing it at all....or spending unhealthy amounts of time preparing for the difficulty.

People who come on here and criticize 9/10 WANT to keep playing Dungeon Defenders but are being stone walled by uneven progression. When they complain, they are ignored and ridiculed. And since it seems Trendy isn't releasing any FREE content updates for campaign or challenges, that's another fragmentation of the community that I'm not even going to get into.

I'm amazed they didn't charge money for the christmas level. But the story maps aren't going to be free, that's quite apparent.

Who is ridiculing anyone? I've seen none of that. I've seen people saying, "Don't make it easier." I've seen people saying, "I want better loot ramps." But I've seen no ridicule.

As for free updates, they patch constantly, and each DLC has included content that ended up in the main game, even if you didn't buy the DLC. Finally, there have been 3 (three!) free DLC now, 1 at each holiday. Don't complain about lack of free content.

If you want to make it all about yourself and maintain an opinion based on purely your own experiences, then I'm confused why you feel justified in criticizing a ton of other people with different experiences. I've seen you do it in no less than four threads this morning alone.

It's great that you plodded your way through easy, then medium, then hard, and then gave insane a whack.
Some of us, however, started the game on hard and/or insane. Those of us who did that have gear that is too good for the easier modes unless idling while your pet counts as a "strategy". It's not fun to me. Unfortunately, if those people like myself who were geared to the hilt but didn't have enough time to put into the game for a crucial week or so are now stonewalled unless we get someone to twink our characters.

I know from a different thread that you think twinking is progression, but it's not and the definition doesn't depend on your or my opinion on the matter just like a dictionary doesn't depend on its reader's opinions for its definitions.

As for your comment on me going after loot, I'm not sure what kinds of games you played before but if you think this game has any depth underneath the loot quest then that's a sad commentary on the quality of games you hold in high esteem.

If you want to make it all about yourself and maintain an opinion based on purely your own experiences, then I'm confused why you feel justified in criticizing a ton of other people with different experiences. I've seen you do it in no less than four threads this morning alone.

It's great that you plodded your way through easy, then medium, then hard, and then gave insane a whack.
Some of us, however, started the game on hard and/or insane. Those of us who did that have gear that is too good for the easier modes unless idling while your pet counts as a "strategy". It's not fun to me. Unfortunately, if those people like myself who were geared to the hilt but didn't have enough time to put into the game for a crucial week or so are now stonewalled unless we get someone to twink our characters.

I know from a different thread that you think twinking is progression, but it's not and the definition doesn't depend on your or my opinion on the matter just like a dictionary doesn't depend on its reader's opinions for its definitions.

As for your comment on me going after loot, I'm not sure what kinds of games you played before but if you think this game has any depth underneath the loot quest then that's a sad commentary on the quality of games you hold in high esteem.

Criticizing? No, I'm having debates with people. I haven't said anything bad about them. I've only presented facts and stated my case.

Twinking? Nobody said anything about twinking. They talked about buying from other peoples' shops. There's no handouts. They earned that mana, and bought gear with it. It IS a form of progression, whether you like it or not.

I get that you don't want to buy from shops. That you want to get your gear directly. I've even said that I feel the same way. But that doesn't change the fact that others don't, and they can be happy about it. There's no need for people to dump all over them.

Hey, if you went the loot route, that's your thing. I'm not belittling you for it. But I didn't go that route. I went with strategy instead. And I had fun doing it.

I don't understand this distinction you are making between going some strategy way vs. some loot way.

I was referring to loot being a goal in this game, not as something mutually exclusive to strategy.

Buying/trading gear from other players *is* a form of twinking.
You can read a historical description of games and twinking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking

I don't understand this distinction you are making between going some strategy way vs. some loot way.

I was referring to loot being a goal in this game, not as something mutually exclusive to strategy.

Buying/trading gear from other players *is* a form of twinking.
You can read a historical description of games and twinking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking

To get through the campaign, you can choose to grind for loot until you have enough to easily breeze through it, or choose to use strategy and not grind at all.

Loot is only a goal if you want it to be.

Buying from others is not twinking unless the person has artificially deflated prices so you can get gear you shouldn't have. I just re-read that whole article to make sure your point wasn't on it somewhere, but I don't see it.

Buying from a random player shop with money you've earned is not twinking.

You have an extremely low threshold for what you consider "strategy" if you think this game has it on any level other than the initial figuring out the math before the source dropped. Now that we have access to the formulas via the game code source we don't even have that as an element of strategic analysis.

It doesn't seem like you've even thought much beyond your position other than to be contrary to whatever other people are post ing in these threads. For example, your notion about twinking. Apparently you think that having a player run through a map and trading you gear is twinking but if you give him mana after the round it's not :\