Taking a break from Dungeon Defenders

I have been playing this game hardcore since release. I have been playing with my wife and a really good crew of people. I have been really happy. I beat all of the insane levels, and did it with flair. I had every achievement. I had community events. So far so good.

After tonight's patch, however, I have lost faith. Tonight's patch really was poorly executed and seemed to leave me reeling. Nightmare mode was where I was supposed to take my game to the next level. Nightmare mode was where I was going to rally with my crew and create a new legend.

I don't know any given day if it will be worth farming good gear. I don't know if I should upgrade my armor today, or wait for the next patch. I don't know if I should gear my Countess one day to, as the tips on the load screen says, to "take advantage of the environment", or to upgrade my traptress because my other tower characters can't keep a tower up beyond 3 hits from an ogre standing in a strength drain aura.

I have been defending Trendy for a while, but I need to step back for a bit before I lose my cool. The days of anticipation for a patch are turning into grind fests trying to get the content beat before it is forever taken from my grasp.

To Trendy, please figure out where you want to take this game. Please let us know how you want us to play this game. Please don't change the rules on us any given day because we find that perfect solution to a map that we can reproduce.

An example of what I am talking about: Joust was given to us as a means to push enemies away. It was apparently meant to clear an aisle. Ramps without rails are apparently there so that we have a reason to use joust. If we choose to push ogres off cliffs because they have ridiculous amounts of hit points, I have to believe that you intended us to have the option to push them off that cliff. Otherwise, why did you equip my Countess with a 109^ Nerf padded sword? I can't believe you intended us to kill those ogres manually? We can't even stand point blank under any circumstance, as our resists are below sufficient. Our heals are now ways we can clear an area of loose mana while being unable to affect our battle strategy.

I don't know what you intend for this game, but until you figure it out, I need a break. I will reevaluate things after I have gained some perspective and some egg nog.

Best regards,

Majormer

I have been defending Trendy for a while, but I need to step back for a bit before I lose my cool. The days of anticipation for a patch are turning into grind fests trying to get the content beat before it is forever taken from my grasp.

This is where I relate to you the most. You can only defend someone for so long before the ball is in their court.
We've been let down consistently and honestly I thought this patch was going to change that.

I'm still going to stick it out and I think you should too. I would be willing to put money down on them opening a test server of some kind after this fiasco.

I'm also hopping on the "taking a break" bandwagon. Love the game, but we're in a really rough 'transitional' period between what was slightly unbalanced (pre Nightmare Mode) to totally unbalanced (Nightmare Mode to present).

I believe the developers will eventually iron out all of the wrinkles, but with the complete rubber-banding in patch 'fixes' (from fixing something one day, to reverting the next etc.) I believe some time away from the game would do me some good.

Also. The guy they've got in charge of putting together the maps. Truly brilliant. I LOVE the attention to detail he puts in on every map he has made so far. Too bad he doesn't do livestream on justin.tv anymore T.T

Honestly I want to just take a break as well havent complain till this patch and I simply want to stop but for now Ill stick around.
Quite easy to see it wasnt tested though i was always hoping for the next patch to make it better and its been like the for a month almost, always to be let down.

I'm not retired. Just taking a break until they figure out where they want to take things. If things are balanced right when I come back, then I imagine that I will be able to catch up and be successful as a hardcore player without too much difficulty. I know I am not the best player, but I am a student of the game. Recently, my textbook has changed and the fundamental principles have distorted. Almost as if General Relativity turned out to be supplanted by the a Cosmological Constant Roulette Game.

Ah, the CCRG. We meet again. When last I saw you I was playing Final Fantasy X-2 and you threw an Iron Giant at me halfway through the game despite every other enemy in that map having a tenth of your power. I see you have gotten no less ruthless.

I also decided to leave the game tonight for at least a week or 2 with this non stop wave of craptastic patches full of bugs. Was the straw that broke my "desire to play" this game

I agree completely. I conquered UMF on insane with the help of a friend, and soon was able to conquer it with others, but now I don't see any direction.

It's like they just hand us the parts for car but didn't give us the tools to build it! OR tell us how we can get the tools!

=/

I feel exactly the same. Jousting was a fun way to beat first couple of waves, and I wouldn't really call it an exploit because it seemed like it was intended. Surely when they designed this map with so many cliffs, they would have thought about joust, unless for some reason the map designer knows nothing about the game.

I probably won't be taking a break completely, but I'll be playing less for now. Maybe do a couple of insane glitterhelms here n there with friends to level a bit.

Wow, I wondered why I hadn't seen much of you over the last few days. I hate to say I agree, but I had some friends over who had never played nightmare, and the 3 of us ran the entire game on insane with no losses or issues. Then I put up deeper well on nightmare and we were slaughter on round 3. I expected harder as well, but its not even possible to win for me. I play probably around 15 hours a week, my friends more like 4-5 hours a week. Nightmare isn't even an option for us. I have weapons that are all over 65^ and now with the new 170^+ my weapons are worthless if I go into anything pvp. I have to agree, this patch has unbalanced the game and made it impossible for anyone who plays casually only.

The only question is, will they read this thread and will they do anything in a positive manner about these issues.

I'm pretty much out. Just looking at how expensive it is to upgrade armor and the amount of time it takes to later waves is too daunting. I haven't even bought the latest DLC because I want to see how things shake out (and I've seen how quickly this stuff gets discounted). I'm keeping my eye on the patch notes, but I don't plan on returning anytime soon.

I won't stop playing but the only progress ill be making is making my toons lvl 74 and having fun playing challenges/maps without spiders. I won't upgrade my armors or weapons.

Tried a new strategy in UMF NM without joust, died by a stray arrow while being webbed. IMO no matter how good your gear is NM UMF is impossible without using joust/glitches/hacks. Bad Design =/= Challenging.

Challenges/Maps without spiders in NM are alot of fun though so I suggest you guys play that.

I won't stop playing but the only progress ill be making is making my toons lvl 74 and having fun playing challenges/maps without spiders. I won't upgrade my armors or weapons.

Tried a new strategy in UMF NM without joust, died by a stray arrow while being webbed. IMO no matter how good your gear is NM UMF is impossible without using joust/glitches/hacks. Bad Design =/= Challenging.

Challenges/Maps without spiders in NM are alot of fun though so I suggest you guys play that.

I haven't done any challenges in a while, which ones don't have spiders?

As far as the OP, very well put. I agree completely. It's a good thing Steam has their sale right now, plenty of other games to play while Trendy gets their crap together.

Hmm, MF is VERY FUN, so it raining goblins, assault, ogre crush. Completing those after 3 or 4 failed tries is really fun. Haven't finished MF though, we are still in the process of finding out how to deal with the Ogre's without DPS'.

Hm...strange how such a short amount of time as changed your opinion quite vastly. I remember you saying the exact opposite in the thread I made earlier...something like "If you enjoy the ongoing challenge like I do, then work hard to beat the challenges. They aren't impossible... just hard." It seems like we're on the same page now though, as I agree with your post here. I think you misunderstood my thread though as my qualm is much similar to yours, it's not a matter of things being too hard, or too easy, for me it is Trendys constant indecision, rule changing and lack of a polished patch.

Agreed, game is changing so quickly without warning not only that but these patches are just full of bugs everytime. Also inb4 300^ items come out when ppl complete their 100-200^ sets.

I was happier with the game when 33 upgrades was beastly, so of course I can understand this, lol.

This latest patch/madness was entered into with hope, and then while soaking up the disappointment... they shove Christmas in my tavern, lol.

:/

- Don't let the door hit you on the way out! (always wanted to say that) =P

Sarcasm off, and on with the serious hat, I agree with you. I stopped playing for real, a week ago, and have just briefly logged on and off. It is so frustrating to see ppl clearing UMF nightmare with all their hacked gear, and nothing really happens. Others exploit the crap out of certain things to farm gear.
I keep following where the game is going on the forums, but I doubt I will return for real to this game again. It was great fun though, all 300 hours.

Untill we get a test server to stop all this faulty patching, and better protection and detection against/of hackers, I will not return.

I understand ppl who still play though, it's a great game, wish they would start to realize that they can take this game up in the millions and millions of users, if they carefully sit down and decide to fix some of all theese issues that players are pointing out to them again and again!

Hm...strange how such a short amount of time as changed your opinion quite vastly. I remember you saying the exact opposite in the thread I made earlier...something like "If you enjoy the ongoing challenge like I do, then work hard to beat the challenges. They aren't impossible... just hard." It seems like we're on the same page now though, as I agree with your post here. I think you misunderstood my thread though as my qualm is much similar to yours, it's not a matter of things being too hard, or too easy, for me it is Trendys constant indecision, rule changing and lack of a polished patch.

You did hit it spot on earlier in another post. Agree pretty much with anything you have said

I just have to say. I hope that you all take your (probably much needed) break and come back to a game that you are happy with. For those that think Trendy is taking a dive right now, it will probably get better in time. It is the way of things. But yeah, I personally hope that anyone, the ragers, the QQers, and the rational people (like in this post) all come back some day and find the fun again!

Good wishes and happy holidays to you all!

I feel you Majormer. Took the day off yesterday to wait for the patch hopefully making me able to progress. I spent 7 hours in the kitchen experimenting, which was fun and all that. But today I woke up early, turned on coffee and computer, waited for coffee to get ready just to spit it out all over the screen as I read the forums, loaded up the game and got most of it confirmed instantly.

I'm what the kids like to call me a "fanboi" but this patch... ogre hp... i mean... nope, see you tomorrow, hopefully there will be something I can do.

And the x-mas event! Turkey hunt was not fun anywhere, this isn't either. Spooktacular is probally the map i have most time played on of all maps. That one was brilliant.

meh.