* Uber Monster Fests Client framerate is now uncapped with <= 4 players in the game

Could you please explain why you would want to ever cap our frame rate for any reason? I fail to follow your logic here.

Now please explain to me why you would only uncap our frame rate when there is less than or equal to (<=) 4 players in a game. How about a button we can check in the options to either cap it, or not cap it.

I fail to understand your logic and I'm hoping for an explanation.

Why lift the cap, but only with less than 4 players in game.

Hopefully I wont need to write in big bold blue letters to get your attention.

i see no reason for capped fps. Trendy said it themself this is a low spec game which looks awesome with lightning. Why would you want to limit a high specced computer?

Is there ever a reason to limit framerate? I'm honestly asking this because I dont understand why you would need to do that on a modern game. Whats the harm in it running 60 or 120 or 200+fps. Does this cause problems somewhere that I'm not understanding? It seems like the fix they did would require more programming than just turning the cap off all together, or raising it to 60 across the whole game. It makes me wonder if there is more to it. Which is why I'm asking =)

Is there ever a reason to limit framerate? I'm honestly asking this because I dont understand why you would need to do that on a modern game. Whats the harm in it running 60 or 120 or 200+fps. Does this cause problems somewhere that I'm not understanding? It seems like the fix they did would require more programming than just turning the cap off all together, or raising it to 60 across the whole game. It makes me wonder if there is more to it. Which is why I'm asking =)

Because there is almost never a reason to go above 60 FPS, all it does is needlessly tax your video card.

Because there is almost never a reason to go above 60 FPS, all it does is needlessly tax your video card.

You are missing my point. Why raise UMF to 60fps but only if there are 4 or less people, and only that map. Why not all the maps. It seems to me like the way they did it would be more work than just raising the global cap. I dont know this for sure, as I'm way to lazy to go through all their wild code. This is why I'm asking if there is a specific reason for the 30fps limit.

If you want to use vsync on a 120hz monitor, you need 120fps. Same with 240hz. There are plenty of reasons to exceed 60fps. I'm asking why Trendy limited it.

I'm looking for an official response, not speculation.

You don't need 120 frames per second to have a 120 Hz refresh rate on your monitor. The video card will just show the same frame multiple times without recalculating the scene when it doesn't receive another frame before it is time to display the picture again. When it says 120 frames per second it means unique frames where the video card actually recalculated the video scene. If its time to v-sync the video and no new frame has been calculated in the frame buffer then the last one will just be shown again.

Since the video has to wait for the vertical sync interval before redrawing the scene, you cannot *exceed* 120 frames per second, but you can go below it and it will just show the same frame as many times as needed until there is a new one to draw during the v-sync interval.

Hopefully I wont need to write in big bold blue letters to get your attention.

Just sayin', it works. <:

At any rate, Tyhan and Hadley's essentially hit it on the nose, but it's their [the people's] choice if they want to burn out their GPU as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of FPS cap (or low FPS actually), I noticed that during building phase my FPS is lowered even though I have a system capable of exceeding that number FPS. During battle, no problem with 60FPS vsync on. Building phase, FPS goes down to around 40. Also sometimes when I'm in my tavern, I get lower FPS without any obvious reason why it should go down. Not sure what causes this, but it isn't a problem inherent to a specific graphics driver as I tried several versions already. Perhaps someone could comment on this. I already know for sure I'm not the only one that noticed it, by the replies in my topic.

As for burning out GPUs because the FPS is too high, this is nonsense. Well designed and well maintained videocards will not burn out because of high FPS in a game, unless it was faulty to begin with. You could get 500FPS in some old skool game and yet your GPU temperatures will not exceed 50 degrees Celsius. And you could get 30FPS in Metro 2033 and stress your GPU up to 87 degrees Celsius, guess which one puts more stress on your videocard and why this happens.

If your FPS is capped at lets say 60 or 120 (Vsync), that means your CPU(s) and or GPU(s) won't have to work harder to provide those extra frames. Meaning the GAME code will have ample cycles to do what it needs.

This isn't normally important, however if you are hosting it becomes extremely important. Just because you want your game to run at 589FPS!!!!!!1111 Doesn't mean your CPU can deliver that while hosting an 8 player UMF successfully.

What server? We host the games, right?

I'm not a networking guy, so this is all heresay. The way I understand is is that while you are hosting the game, a portion of the processing is done on Trendy's end and is why there is a cap.

Still no official response. I guess they are too busy ****ing up the game with half *** fixes for their untested updates

/rant

I'm not a networking guy, so this is all heresay. The way I understand is is that while you are hosting the game, a portion of the processing is done on Trendy's end and is why there is a cap.

We don't write the software so we are all guessing. I'm guessing that Trendynet is a simple service that matches players to games and has nothing to do with hosting the game besides the requirement to be connected at all times (unknown reason why this is needed).

Anybody have more information?

I believe this was done during 7.12b to reduce lag for the clients when playing with 8 people, as lower frames lowers the amount of updates on projecticles/events that need to be sent to each client. With 8 people this would cut bandwidth cost significantly with 8 people and makes it actually sort of playable if the host has a really good pc. With 4 people the bandwidth constraints aren't as high, I believe someone posted a request for this and there's a thread with a reply from developers. Search around :p

My guess is because server hosts no game - the host does, and not every host has good connection so it's necessary to cap the bandwidth usage of each player so others can enjoy the game too.

My guess is because server hosts no game - the host does, and not every host has good connection so it's necessary to cap the bandwidth usage of each player so others can enjoy the game too.
How exactly does clientside rendering increase bandwidth usage? Or would having 120 fps clientside make it look a bit laggy when server only sends like 20 or so "snapshots" per second? No idea how it works on Unreal engine but afaik engines like Quake 3 do not cap clientside rendering framerate.

Speaking of FPS cap (or low FPS actually), I noticed that during building phase my FPS is lowered even though I have a system capable of exceeding that number FPS. During battle, no problem with 60FPS vsync on. Building phase, FPS goes down to around 40. Also sometimes when I'm in my tavern, I get lower FPS without any obvious reason why it should go down. Not sure what causes this, but it isn't a problem inherent to a specific graphics driver as I tried several versions already. Perhaps someone could comment on this. I already know for sure I'm not the only one that noticed it, by the replies in my topic.

As for burning out GPUs because the FPS is too high, this is nonsense. Well designed and well maintained videocards will not burn out because of high FPS in a game, unless it was faulty to begin with. You could get 500FPS in some old skool game and yet your GPU temperatures will not exceed 50 degrees Celsius. And you could get 30FPS in Metro 2033 and stress your GPU up to 87 degrees Celsius, guess which one puts more stress on your videocard and why this happens.

I have this issue and Have been complaining about it since launch. 60 fps during combat, 30 fps on build phase and tavern. Bad coding or is it done on purpose?

How exactly does clientside rendering increase bandwidth usage? Or would having 120 fps clientside make it look a bit laggy when server only sends like 20 or so "snapshots" per second? No idea how it works on Unreal engine but afaik engines like Quake 3 do not cap clientside rendering framerate.

Ever been in a host's game where you often get "hitching"? You and monsters freezing in place and unable to act for a second every couple of of seconds? Usually occurs when the host's bandwidth or processing power can't keep up with the demands of running the game and updating all the clients' data requests.

The host has to send out all of the game's data on what's happening on his end, while the clients will constantly request for updated data from the server to render what they should be seeing on their end. If a client's rendering 60 FPS, they're going to need however many updates from the host to allow them to render out each frame for every update the receive. Cutting the client's FPS in half would, I guess, cut in-half the amount of data a host needs to send out to the clients. Keep in mind that the data the host has to send and receive doesn't just double going from 4 to 8 players, it exponentially increases.

Doing UMF with 8 players each rendering more than 30 FPS probably resulted in the scenario above with lots of hitching, lag, and warping between players and monsters. Capping it at 30 FPS allowed for a still playable experience at 5-8 players. Since the game's been more than capable of running with 3 clients at 60 FPS in PVE environments, they're lifting that frame-rate limit at 4 or less players in UMF.

Ever been in a host's game where you often get "hitching"? You and monsters freezing in place and unable to act for a second every couple of of seconds? Usually occurs when the host's bandwidth or processing power can't keep up with the demands of running the game and updating all the clients' data requests.

The host has to send out all of the game's data on what's happening on his end, while the clients will constantly request for updated data from the server to render what they should be seeing on their end. If a client's rendering 60 FPS, they're going to need however many updates from the host to allow them to render out each frame for every update the receive. Cutting the client's FPS in half would, I guess, cut in-half the amount of data a host needs to send out to the clients. Keep in mind that the data the host has to send and receive doesn't just double going from 4 to 8 players, it exponentially increases.

Doing UMF with 8 players each rendering more than 30 FPS probably resulted in the scenario above with lots of hitching, lag, and warping between players and monsters. Capping it at 30 FPS allowed for a still playable experience at 5-8 players. Since the game's been more than capable of running with 3 clients at 60 FPS in PVE environments, they're lifting that frame-rate limit at 4 or less players in UMF.

I've never heard of client side rendering having an effect on bandwidth usage. Thats what prediction is for. Their code is extremely sloppy though so maybe thats part of it. This game was not meant to be the huge success it is. By their own words it was a "proof of concept" for a bigger game. I have a feeling thats why it's so hastily/poorly/sloppily coded, however you want to put it.

My biggest frustration is that they aren't doing any testing. I can't think of 1 logical explanation to how they could have possibly missed such COMPLETELY GAME BREAKING BUGS like the resistance bug, or the moon walking creeps. It makes no sense.