Tower defense and strategy
Lots of DLC for reasonable prices
Highly Replayable

Cons:
Poor patching
Too many seemingly inimical game changes
Ruined economy
Big focus on game metrics over fun

My thoughts: DD is like that high school student teaching assistant you had for chemistry class. You know the one...he's super smart and thinks he's awesome since he's grading your papers. You take the test on the periodic table of elements and realize he goofed up on grading...you point out the error to him. He pours over the test with scrutiny and finds other errors he didn't see before. He gives you the credit for the mistake he made but then marks you down for the ones he didn't catch last time. Net result: a lower test score and you leave with a pretty sour feeling. He's technically right, but you can't help but feel he was handling it very poorly.

Orcs Must Die:

Pros:
Fun
Easy to pick up and play
Some strategic elements
Tight controls

Cons:
Single Player
No loot per se
Limited DLC
Not very RPG like at all
Limited replayability

My thoughts: Orcs must die is like that small town high school teacher who coaches football and in his spare time teaches shop and then math. He doesn't do any thing besides football particularly well but tells great stories...although you are getting sick of all the math examples being presented as football analogies. He told you to step your game up when you got a C+ on that algebra test. You didn't learn a whole lot about math, but the class was generally enjoyable and you find yourself recalling some of his more animated stories.

Anyway... it's a toss up for me... I've spent way more time playing dungeon defenders and getting aggravated when reading the forums and reading about all the changes that were made. I seem to recall the release date for this game was going to be sometime in October 2010. Didn't TE have a year to fix all this?

A few more thoughts before you flame me out of existence:

I'll be the first to admit there is a serious amount of confirmation bias happening on these forums. People will only see negative things regardless of any improvements and honestly they are a lost cause. On the other hand you have the "fanatics" for which the game can do no wrong. Their comments and feedback tend to blur the actual problems....I guess it's kind of like real life. However, if you step back and take an objective look, there seems to be more negative reactions than positive ones. This points to a systemic problem somewhere with the game or the process of presenting the game that really needs to be addressed.

I did buy the DLC the moment it was released last night... I also considered asking for a refund from steam since it was basically DOA (shop items) but I decided that was too harsh... But now I'm really starting to think it is time for a break... what do you all think?

Well I have both DD and Orcs must die. While I like smashing orcs, once you come up with the optimal strategy for a map, there's not much else to do. I got 15 hrs from it, but there's really no incentives to play more then that.

Also for having a year to fix. Trendy seems to original balance the game around casual play and they been scrambling ever since to re balance the end game content to the more hardcore players.

Personally I'm a causal player and all the changes hasn't affected me at all, but I say give them a couple more months to work everything out and it'll be a much better game.

Orcs Must Die is single player only, and the Devs have stated that they are done working on it. There won't be any future expansions/DLC/Content at all for that game. That's a huge downside and makes the game worthless in my opinion. Unless it goes on sale on Steam for like 99 cents, I'm not buying it.

Bought this and OMD about the same time. I was addicted to DD at first and only played the first level of OMD. However, since the Halloween update I would have to say OMD is the better game. DD can still get back but TE really needs to quit dropping the ball. Once, shame on you, twice shame on me, three times and I start to think I must be insane to even care anymore. And they've dropped the ball way more than 3 times over various issues so far.

If I had a buddy right now asking me which game to play I'd have to say OMD, the DLC is a decent price for what you get and the game works as advertised.

Right now with DD you have slightly overpriced DLC for the content you're getting, as well as if you want the "full" game you have to pay ~$30. And right now DD seems to be taking the turn towards a grindfest MMO.

No rpg elements is a bad thing now? what the what?

Orcs must die is far far far superior in map, trap and gameplay design and is a proper TD game, before the patch dd was an enjoyable game for when you wanted to turn your brain off and just hit stuff (in orcs must die you need to aim for the head and your bow has recoil, + you get loads of build resources in dd unlike in orcs must die where it is balanced around the map)

They r each different, they were both worth playing.

DD turned into wow though, grind, gear resets, carrot chasic, loot scaling and mob hp/dmg every new patch to scale with it.
Anyone remember the funny as **** moment where youkilled something in the new azeroth, only to realise that same mob from vanilla has had it's hp go up about 100 times, your hp went up exactly 100 times and your dmg went up exactly 100 times.
This is like that.

Orcs Must Die is single player only, and the Devs have stated that they are done working on it. There won't be any future expansions/DLC/Content at all for that game. That's a huge downside and makes the game worthless in my opinion. Unless it goes on sale on Steam for like 99 cents, I'm not buying it.

How greedy can you be?

The game is very well done and looks far better DD. The humor and story is also better than what DD have.

The gameplay is much better. You can do a stage in various ways and it'll still be good. Traps are more fun to watch when they slice/throw/burn those orcs up.

It also has plenty of maps to play at the moment.

They haven't really said that they dropped all support for it what I've heard. It's more of like they are not keen on updating with lots of content but rather work on other stuff. Things might come to Orc Must die.
Even then you should take it as a SP game and it does that way better than most other TD games out there.

Topic starter. I'd go with Orc Must Die. Because DD want you to spend countless of hours to grind Glitterhelm to even get to those BETTER weapons and it's just not going to be fun.

Orcs must die! 28 hours played, last played 25/10/2011
Dungeon defenders 604 hours played, last played today

Yes, this is not proof of anything. But just a comparison. I finished OMD and never touched it again. The difficulty is almost the same as in DD but being single player and havin almost no RPG elements made me prefer DD over OMD.

They haven't really said that they dropped all support for it what I've heard. It's more of like they are not keen on updating with lots of content but rather work on other stuff. Things might come to Orc Must die.
Even then you should take it as a SP game and it does that way better than most other TD games out there.

http://www.rtsguru.com/game/384/article/1379/No-More-DLC-for-Orcs-Must-Die.html

Developers said they would release 2 DLC for Orcs, and then move on to new projects, which is exactly what they did.

Dungeon Defenders has way more value in my eyes. Here you have developers that care about the game, are regularly adding new things, patching things, and generally trying to keep the community happy. With Orcs Must Die, what you see is what you get, there will be no new content, no new trophies/achievements, no new maps, no new weapons, no patches, etc. And that's kind of a big deal when you can accomplish everything in the game in 15 hours of played time.

OMD was fun and challening for all the time I played it, 5 star'd all on nightmare, all achievements.

Can't say anything bad about DD, I love both games but OMD is certainly a lot easier to just jump into and have a great time, unless you completed everything like I did :)

In terms of TD gameplay, OMD is MILES ahead of DD in its current state where everything appears to be hero dps, traps and auras.

What unsubtle said...Game design. The developers created a game with a beginning and an ending, rules that would stay with you throughout the game, you got that feeling of accomplishment and progression. Yeah, it was short, yeah it had no loot...but they didnt make the terrible mistake of trying to make the game something that it clearly wasnt designed to be. If DunDef would have ended with you killing that dragon it might have been a draw though...

What unsubtle said...Game design. The developers created a game with a beginning and an ending, rules that would stay with you throughout the game, you got that feeling of accomplishment and progression. Yeah, it was short, yeah it had no loot...but they didnt make the terrible mistake of trying to make the game something that it clearly wasnt designed to be. If DunDef would have ended with you killing that dragon it might have been a draw though...
Exactly. You can play through the entire campaign in Dungeon Defenders, and boom, you just got everything that OMD gives you. You've got strategy, tower placement, and something OMD doesn't have, teamwork. Then DD goes that extra 10,000 miles and gives you all the challenge maps, all the survival/strategy modes, all the RPG elements, and more content on the way.

Not really sure how you guys that have both of them could even compare the two while keeping a straight face.

Really? The campaign is a joke in DD. There really is hardly ANY strategy involved in "beating" the game itself. OMD at least offers enough difficulty in ALL levels so that once you get past the first few levels it actually gets kind of tough. I think the ONLY map I failed in DD when I first beat it was Summit and thats only because it took me a try to understand what I was doing with the dragon. And yes, this was on Medium the first time, which SHOULD be the "Normal" difficulty for a beginning player.

When did DD suddenly become an MMO? I remember a TD/RPG mesh that was advertised as a co-op game. Somehow all the whining and complaining made Trendy think they could try to force an MMO sweater on the game and it would work. Just a hint, there's a reason SO many MMO's crash and burn other than WoW, and you're starting to see that happening here with DD. DD went from a game I could have fun with when I felt like it, to a grindfest that I had to try to be on every night to keep up with the gear progression and farm constantly. Sorry, thats why I quit WoW, and I wouldnt recommend DD in its current form at its current price, to ANYONE.

Dungeon defenders:
Fun game to play multiplayer with friends (thou without friends, you will end up playing solo because its easier)
Character stats are almost worthless with end gear: you can get a single item with more stats than your lvl 70 character
MMO grind feel, this is since the updates from this month, the game became a grind fest to farm items and get stats, people went from having 300 tower atk at most, to having 600 with 2 or 3 other stats at 400 (also be ready to start farming mana).

Orcs must die
Not much replayability (thou i havent finished it yet)
Awesome traps and weapons: the weapons and traps here are better than the ones in DD
Feels faster: You dont spend 10 min building traps
Better animation: this is probably one point that many people ignore, but to me having good animations is a plus, DD has horrible ones, ive seen the turkey event costume of the monk "break" when he attack (the only decent animation is the ninja costume, i dont like ninjas but i have to use it -_-)

I have played a lot more DD than OMD, but DD now has became too MMO-like (grindfest and mana farm).
Im sure ill get the DLC just to play the new maps, but i wont be playing it much.

I must admit , if Orcs Must Die had multiplayer and some rpg elements like DD , DD wouldn't have any chance against it . OMD is super fun even if its only singleplayer game.

OMD is a decent game. It isn't on the level on DD, it has probably less than 1/4 of the content DD has. It also gets pretty boring very quickly and has no replayability. DD's campaign and challanges on normal are alot more content than OMD alone, not to mention replaying on hard, insane and now nightmare. Plus TE are introducing more characters and strategys.

OMD is a decent game, could of been much better, to late now.
DD is a great game, will still get better.

But to replay on Insane and Nightmare you need to grind for several hundred hours to get GODLIKE gear. Just grinding away on the same map over and over. Well maybe not on insane on most maps. Except for Monster Fest. You still need godlike gear on that one.

Those who are at the top have little problem with this because they already had the great stuff from the start. So when new stuff came they got them quite quickly. Then nerfs and level changes where made.

Now it's just you grinding that one map on hard or Insane if you have the gears for it. Yes, it's gears that makes you win almost all the time. Also you need a weapon with at least over base 1500 damage to do later stages on insane. A weapon with 2000+ would probably be better.

The Developers also just seems to make it more of a grind as the patches come.

Orcs Must Die is a blast. DD is broken and the fun is taken out when you have to farm in order to get it.

Both are good games in my opinion but I had 12 hours playtime in OMD and got 160 hours in DD. Once my DD fun stops I'll probably play some more OMD.

Posted this in another thread but it applies here for the whole hour/dollar junk people keep posting....

Yes, all that hour to dollar ratio was AMAZING, being alt-tabbed out while I watched How I Met Your ****** and tabbing back in to hit G REALLY makes this games hours MUCH more fulfilling then say Skyrim.

Hours played does not equal a good game or make a game any better than another. To this day one of the best games I've ever played was God of War (my opinion so meh :P) But my point is, that game was BETTER than any 200 hour RPG, 700 hour tower defense game that I have ever played. So this whole "Lol, you played it for 200 hours its a better dollar/hour ratio so ha!" means nothing, and proves nothing.

Its like saying War and Peace is better than almost every other book out there because it takes longer to read.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Maimuta624 said.
If this thread was made until 7.10 I would have answer DD, now OMD for me.

Bought this and OMD about the same time. I was addicted to DD at first and only played the first level of OMD. However, since the Halloween update I would have to say OMD is the better game. DD can still get back but TE really needs to quit dropping the ball. Once, shame on you, twice shame on me, three times and I start to think I must be insane to even care anymore. And they've dropped the ball way more than 3 times over various issues so far.

If I had a buddy right now asking me which game to play I'd have to say OMD, the DLC is a decent price for what you get and the game works as advertised.

Right now with DD you have slightly overpriced DLC for the content you're getting, as well as if you want the "full" game you have to pay ~$30. And right now DD seems to be taking the turn towards a grindfest MMO.

^^ he said it well, pick up orcs on sale and enjoy yourself

OMD has at most 10-20 hours. After that there is nothing more to do. Once you complete every level you'll just keep playing them to get the max skulls if you care for that. Replaying the levels is boring. Even with all the dlc.
It's a fun game, but the fun doesn't last long.