Benefits of Steam?

Lots of threads on here QQing about the quality of the steam cloud etc... I'm going to assume that the development team is pretty intelligent since they created a great game. There must be a reason you guys chose to use this service. Could you provide us with some insight into some of the benefits of using Steam?

One of the pros that comes to mind for me is the quality of the Steam overlay. The integrated web browser is incredibly useful especially given the nature of some of the content (e.g. survival).

I bet they have sold more than double the copies they would have sold if they had not used steam. At least in PC copies.

It's probably the largest most reliable games hosting service on the PC platform though. Is Origin better? No. Gamespy? lol

Or would you rather it be a Games for Windows Live game? Then many countries couldn't even play it. This is why Steam QQ threads just make me facepalm. Cause there isn't a better alternative really.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the problems are a result of TE not appropriately handling certain events raised by Steam. In the programming world, if something goes wrong and coding isn't in place to handle it, you get errors/crashes/etc. I think all the Steam stuff is great, but DD is having some obvious problems interacting with it, as is evident by all the reported DC issues. If they can find a solution that allows players to maintain their gaming session in spite of Steam related problems, people like me would have nothing to complain about on the forums ;)