Q: Why does the community value...

I am confused here... why does the community value the "hours in game."

I say "hours in game" because this means nothing to me. Even before shops players valued this. I have just over 220+ playing hours. I went afk once over night to sell stuff.

I am confused by the concept that having more hours in game means somehow they are better geared or know how to play better. I can contest this is a fallacy. While not the best geared, my toons are in top 5% gears and I tend to do better then a lot of my friends with 400+ hours.

I see a lot of people asking this and especially now with afk shops it makes more sense to me the time in game means nothing but you possibly owned it lover or afk more.

So my real question is, why does/do everyone/you value time in game so much?

If you don't have over 9000 hours invested into this game, then you wouldn't even understand my answer.

Well, it's one way to quantify how much effort you put in the game. And most of the time, effort correlates to better gear or more experience (at least in the past)

But I agree... in-game hours doesn't reflect anything these days, because of the AFK shops. =)

I play more efficient then most players... my playing time is valuable to me. In my 200+ hours I have done more then a lot of 400-500 hour users...

The concept means nothing yet I still see people throwing it around like it has value ;)

I would say its a matter of how much they like the game. At least for me. For example, I have this DS game that I've put over 180 hours into (beaten it three times) and I feel proud of that (I guess, lol). So its probably the same case for people who have played this game a lot. I don't think it should be - I've play two hundred more hours than you, bow down before my awesome might - but when it's just a comment on - wow, this game is so fun I can't believe I've put a couple hundred hours into it already - then it is more reasonable. :D

In general, Im not a hardcore gamer, so maybe I can't think about things the way they do, but I don't even think it's about who can be the best. Who cares if you're number one on the scoreboard or whatever. At least for me, I play the game to have fun and maybe get a little better along the way. I guess that's why I'll always be casual. <3

For me, it's a measure of how much value I got from the game. I know I played a lot of hours, I don't have an internal clock capable of keeping track of that. If someone asks how much fun I got out of a game, I can say "A lot. Wow." or I can say, "I've clocked over 250 hours."

Which of those 2 do you think gives more information to the other person?

Rofl value? Im more like opposite, i look with disapointment how ive managed to spend so much time. Now with afk shop i can always claim its just cause of those shops. While currently its more of just keeping shop and playing 1h or so day. But at begin the hours kept going up as couldnt let go of the game. Its more of hours of shame, than something to be proud of. ;)

440 HRS here, well worth the money I spent. I see it as more of measure of how much value I've gotten from it. For instance I only have 4hrs in Portal 2 (other friends average around 10) and it cost $60 on release day while I have 440hrs in DD and it cost $15 (not including DLCs)!

I love Dungeon Defenders.

Happens in pretty much every game. There's usually no way to quantify actual skill to prove you are better than someone else, so people usually point to time played as some metric that makes them superior. Obviously, it's a flimsy measurement, but one people continue to hold up as evidence that they are the best.

By "time in game" as in how much time players spend playing the game, I think that most people refer to those who spend maybe 5 hours a week playing the game vs everyone else who spends upwards of 20/week.

Generally speaking, they're either refering to a casual gamer, someone who has less time to put into gaming or just doesn't enjoy it enough to justify spending more time in-game.
Or they're speaking about a "hardcore" gamer, someone who has more time to put into games or enjoys playing video games with their friends more than other pass times.

Why do people value time so much? It's beyond me, maybe because it's easily relatable and makes for simple examples. I don't see time as being a benchmark for player skill, but rather an indicator of how much time someone is willing to put into the game, or how much they enjoy it.

The community *doesn't* value the hours that other people spent playing the game. Its the people that spent the hours that value them.

The number of hours is relevant only to show that 1) you have played long enough that you shouldn't be considered a newbie anymore so when you make an observation it is not without having some understanding of the game or 2) you have played this game long enough to consider it to be a good value for your money for its purchase price.

Time spent does not prove skill any more than the numbers that every other person puts in their signature does with their character levels and character stats. Nobody really cares about these things and they will only know if you are skillful if you group with them and they observe superior efficiency or problem solving skills in action. All these stats do prove that you are not a total newbie that has no understanding of the game at all though.

I believe 'hours played' is a pretty decent marker of one's skill with the game considering during that run of time you have had to been doing something, right? If practice improves skill, then the 'something' you're doing directly relates with how your skill improves.

While the difference between 200 hours and 400 hours might not be much different (and in some cases the person with 200 hours will be light years ahead of the person with 400 hours, in skill) The difference between a person with 200 hours played and a person with, say, 50 hours played, is huge.

BTW, I have 172 hours logged in game and am definitely in the top 5% best geared players category. Everything I use, I've found in-game. You hardly need to spend 400 hours to be in that top 5%. But as far as skill goes, I've got another 150 hours on the 360 version. 300 hours of play time, having gone through the game at least 20 times and played all of the challenges on all difficulties, has definitely improved my overall skill exponentially.

I believe a lot of other vets will agree that their long play times coincide with their skill and knowledge of the game.

Epeen . its like some other afk games... haha i got 2300 HOURS !!!! * someones asks a question * how many did you actually play ? *answer* dont know like 100.... ^^

I think play hours mean more at the start and lower ends than they do at the higher ends. If someone has 300 hours vs 500 hours, I wouldn't really question any gear difference or skill difference, but when someone offers me perfect gear with only 30 logged hours, that makes me wonder.

For the majority, it's actually pretty accurate. It's not a flawless system to base things on by far but it's better than nothing. You can definitely expect somebody with 120 hours to have a lot more knowledge on the game than somebody with only 30 mins. But there will always be rare situations.

Between my brother and I, it's pretty simple with all the co-op games we play together. Generally whoever has played the specific game the longest always tends to know more tricks than the other (talking about 100 hour gaps here though). It doesn't mean there is nothing that the 'other' can't teach them, nor that the person with most time is always right. But you can guarantee they will have a better understanding of most things in general if their skill levels are similar. Which is what the whole hours played = knowledge thing is, just a simple generalisation.

It's not something you can use to put weight on your argument though at all, unless your talking about bug frequencies or how rare something is. Like if I say I haven't had that bug in 120 hours, you can guarantee that the bug would be caused either by hardware or certain user actions. How often you've seen a certain item drop, how often you have died, how often you've seen cheating players ect.

You can only really use it in comparative terms to another players skill if you know both people are reasonably evenly matched while having the same amount of experience. It holds no grounds against forum randoms or pugs when you have no idea how quickly they can pick up a game or what their personal capabilities are.

But it's not just game time, don't forget about Post Counts and total XP/ranks.

I think people use time as a measure just to section casual and its opposition. Personally, I never cared or even had this in comparison/consideration.

It could also mean, for example; like you who has 200 hours or so under your belt. You could have been more informed than most players about mechanics of the game and the better approach. It could also be that you were lucky in getting your gear. I'm sure there are some players who has 2x more time put compared to you but never got lucky in the aspect of random item generation. This is the huge time factor as well.

Time is just a comparison. If you have information, knowledge, then it would make everything faster and easier.

If you lack information about the game, then it all comes down to self exploration/luck. Those that are new in the same playing field (no knoweldge) will be scaled when it comes to time comparison. Its value is taken as a measurement, nothing more.

Shhhh dont mention time. If my wife ever actually checked my xfire or steam account and saw how many hours are on there then there would be some serious questions asked :P
I hate that anything rembers how much time i game for and i am very carful to keep that information hidden :)

Shhhh dont mention time. If my wife ever actually checked my xfire or steam account and saw how many hours are on there then there would be some serious questions asked :P
I hate that anything rembers how much time i game for and i am very carful to keep that information hidden :)

inorite

Everything these days is recorded, statistically taken. The worse part is its not to help us increase our fun, its to help companies market more income.

Taken for example, skyrim, it records every damn thing about you. Even how many pots you've taken. POTS MAN POTS! It feels like a crime to drink them potions now. :demon:

inorite

Everything these days is recorded, statistically taken. The worse part is its not to help us increase our fun, its to help companies market more income.

Taken for example, skyrim, it records every damn thing about you. Even how many pots you've taken. POTS MAN POTS! It feels like a crime to drink them potions now. :demon:

Haha now thats funny. and for soem reason im now to scared to play skyrim again :(

I say "hours in game" because this means nothing to me. Even before shops players valued this. I have just over 220+ playing hours. I went afk once over night to sell stuff.

I am confused by the concept that having more hours in game means somehow they are better geared or know how to play better. I can contest this is a fallacy. While not the best geared, my toons are in top 5% gears and I tend to do better then a lot of my friends with 400+ hours.

I see a lot of people asking this and especially now with afk shops it makes more sense to me the time in game means nothing but you possibly owned it lover or afk more.

So my real question is, why does/do everyone/you value time in game so much?

I didn't know it was really valued, only time I've seen it used that I recall... was to explain why characters have the gear they do versus characters that don't. Sure if you're afk all the time it doesn't matter, and sure you don't need to have that many hours, but chances are
someone who's played X amount of hours vs someone's Y = the reason they have better gear.

Don't think it matters too much else other then showing how much love for the game you have and/or freetime, lol.

In my opinion characters who are just starting at are at a huge advantage then players who've been playing from the beginning, some of the gear that's available out there slaughters insane to such a trivial point, I took a lvl 24 Adept and power level'd using the gear I found on the way, and then went and bought pieces out of shops and it's honestly just absurd in comparison to "back in the day" lol.