Suggestion - Tower Projectile Speed w/ Range

I just thought it would be a good idea for the tower range stat to also improve the projectile speed of any tower it would apply to. I've noticed that for higher difficulties, towers often miss the enemies because they're moving too fast and making sudden turns. The towers already calculate the right intercept point for moving targets, but when fast moving monsters make quick turns, the tower projectiles can miss because they're very slow in comparison.

Most people neglect tower range after a certain point, maybe this would help balance things out and give the stat more meaning for higher ranges?

Anyway, just an idea.

Vetokend

I just thought it would be a good idea for the tower range stat to also improve the projectile speed of any tower it would apply to. I've noticed that for higher difficulties, towers often miss the enemies because they're moving too fast and making sudden turns. The towers already calculate the right intercept point for moving targets, but when fast moving monsters make quick turns, the tower projectiles can miss because they're very slow in comparison.

Most people neglect tower range after a certain point, maybe this would help balance things out and give the stat more meaning for higher ranges?

Anyway, just an idea.

Vetokend

isn't there already both a tower range and tower speed stat? I don't miss my targets. ever.

I really like this idea, it wouldn't need to scale very fast for it to be very effective, even 1/10th the scaling relative to range increases would help harpoon and magic missle towers drastically.

isn't there already both a tower range and tower speed stat? I don't miss my targets. ever.

Tower speed stat doesn't affect tower projectile speed, it only affects tower fire rate. And I find it hard to believe that your towers never miss their target.

I like this idea, but I'd clump it with the current tower speed statistic, not the area of effect.

I bet you don't play squire.

Because the harpoon turret misses a lot, especially if it's poorly placed such that mobs can walk perpendicular to the direction of fire.

I bet you don't play squire.

Because the harpoon turret misses a lot, especially if it's poorly placed such that mobs can walk perpendicular to the direction of fire.

What he said. I'm actually watching a harpoon right now miss its target while the thing is fully ensnared. That thing flies at a snails pace. It's a wonder it stays in the air at all.

• 2 weeks later...
^+1
i'm in for using tower radius to affect projectile speed. i know it doesn't make logical sense (should be affected by tower attack rate), but this would prevent overpowering of a single stat.

the implementation of scaling tower projectile speed based off tower radius would bring a little advantage to a stat that more or less has a soft cap (effective usefulness cap) without unbalancing a single tower stat.

tl;dr version
scale off tower radius to buff a neglected stat instead of scaling off tower attack rate

^+1
i'm in for using tower radius to affect projectile speed. i know it doesn't make logical sense (should be affected by tower attack rate), but this would prevent overpowering of a single stat.

the implementation of scaling tower projectile speed based off tower radius would bring a little advantage to a stat that more or less has a soft cap (effective usefulness cap) without unbalancing a single tower stat.

tl;dr version
scale off tower radius to buff a neglected stat instead of scaling off tower attack rate

Seems reasonable to me. Longer range => faster projectile => projectile gets to max range in the same duration.

They dont really need to redesign tower range, it is fine as it is.

Should just increase proj speed with upgrading like the rest stats :D

They dont really need to redesign tower range, it is fine as it is.

Should just increase proj speed with upgrading like the rest stats :D

No one was suggesting altering tower range, we were suggesting tying projectile speed to tower range.

• 3 months later...
I was going to post this again, but yay, I found the original thread. It's been a few months, and as our characters are stronger (with even more tower range), this would make even more of a difference. Basically, the longer the tower range is, the more likely they are to miss (since the projectiles aren't faster and the enemies have more time to change their direction and evade it).

Now, tower range is just ignored (rightfully so) after a certain point because of this, and most tower builds are just buffing their attack stat to progress - a bit of a thoughtless progression. Imagine the advantages and different towers setups that would become viable as a result of tower projectile speed increasing with the tower range stat - accuracy from afar! I'm obviously no expert at coding Dungeon Defenders, but since ranged weapons already have a projectile speed stat, it seems to me that making this change to towers wouldn't be too terribly hard. The thread seemed to have a lot of support, so please, make my day and implement this! :D

Veto

• 2 weeks later...
Would definitely be an improvement if this was added. I hate seeing 20-30 harpoons miss before a wyvern is hit. If the tower's range is good enough to start targeting the wyvern, it should be able to kill the wyvern too :\

Maybe this would also make the Monk Guardian more worthwhile, if he increased projectile speed as well as range and made it harder for towers to miss so easily...

Throwing in my support for this idea. Projectile speed should scale proportionally to targeting range, so it always takes the same amount of time for a projectile to reach the max range.

This would complicate tracking mechanisms as well, which is perhaps why trendy hasn't addressed it yet. Harpoons still can't hit moving targets properly even as is.