Sign in to follow this  
Hellacia

Game Size (Patch Size)

Okay, I've read a little about this and it seems that large patches are required because of how the engine allows for updates to the game to be created. Or something. Maybe someone has some info on that. But regardless of that, I want to know: when is this going to go down in size? Seriously... this game is 2.5 GB now and I'm pretty sure that when I bought it about 1 week ago (actually, I think 9 days now) it was "barely" 1.5 GB... I've seriously had to download another GB of updates in a week. I think it's great that you, Trendy, put out updates when everyone complains about how you had no right to do ____ to people who have paid money for your game (I'd like to welcome a lot of these folks back to 1995 when you paid 3x more than they paid for Dungeon Defenders and it was on a cartridge so if you didn't like it, too bad). It seems you more or less care about what people say (again, I've only been around for a week), and that's good. What's not good is that every update is 250 MB. This recent patch fixed a total of 2 things per the patch notes on these forums. So, I got 2 things fixed that I actually won't even notice for 250 MB of space. Yeah, hard drive space is cheap and blah blah blah and I don't mind if a game is like 4 GB or whatever. But is this game eventually just going to be like... 23 GB?

Hopefully I don't know squat and at some point you will come out with some kind of a total update that takes everything and shoves it back into one... set of files (if that's even the right term, I really don't know how the updating process works).

Well if it continues the trend you are talking about, it will soon pass my old wow installation and the have it eyes set on passing ny modded oblivion. I don't see that happening, I would expect 8-10 without third party mods to be the late road end.

tl;dr

solution. get more hd space or a better service provider. also, since i started at release, the game file size hasnt increased much. it's still sitting at 2.57gb. the way ut3 patches work is they replace older files of the same filename. so it's not a collective amount. just like when you c/p a folder over an existing folder. it doesnt just add duplicates but copies them over.

It's really not adding to the size? ...huh. Well, okay. In that case there's no problem. I just thought the game was considerably smaller when I started and with the 250 MB updates I was starting to worry. I have no problems with my connection speed (1.3 MB/s down) so I don't mind downloading the updates, and my hard drive is a good size. I just didn't want to dedicate a ridiculous amount of space to this one game. Well, cool, my rather dumb concern has been addressed then.

The 5+ gb must be with the dev kit. I have it and mine is 5+ gb, when I first got the game it was around 2-2.5 so that's the only thing I can think of. Really I don't care though, it can get as big as it wants, HD's have gotten pretty cheap.

if you have all DLC (including the DDDK) and have played since release, your folder is around 5.16GB. If you installed a week or 2 ago, and have not installed the DDDK, it should be around 2.57GB.

at least those are the folder sizes for my 2 machines.

while the updates may overwrite some files, it isn't removing something.

For those saying hd prices are cheap, I'm not sure if you actually looked at them recently... With the flooding in thailand few months ago almost all hard drive manufactoring has come to a halt and the prices have skyrocketted up by 2x/3x times the cost it used to be. So saying their cheap is sadly not correct :(

Oh and yeh patches should be smaller, but i guess we can't really do anything about it if it's the engine's fault...

but even though...what if the game gets 20gb?
i can't seem to find the problem...

i guess everybody has 500gb at least nowadays.
new computers come with 1-2TB hard drives
My computer is 3 years old and has 1TB on it.

And if you need more space...get rid of the xxx vids xD