Circular slice a "skill shot" or just bugged?

I noticed something odd about circlar slice today while trying to fool around with a hammer to see if the adjustments made them worth using. Sometimes the circular slice will hit twice and other times it will only hit once. I tried it with two different weapons on my squire: a hammer and a plasmablade (lightsaber looking thing).

Plasmablade - Only hits once if I use it when not swinging or after the first or fourth hit. Can hit sometimes hit twice on the second swing if I do it early but not late in the swing, but most often only one hit. Hits the dummy twice if I use circular slice on my third swing.

Katana - Same as the plasmablade.

Hammer - Only hits once if I use it when not swinging. Hits twice if I use it very soon after the hit connects on the first, second, third, or fourth hit.

Is the circular slice supposed to be a "skill shot" that requires specific timing or is there something bugged about this skill that is causing it to hit too many times in some instances or too few in others?

thing you might be confusing yourself.... on squire his last hit in his 3 hit combo hits twice so its actually a 4 hit combo

I'm not confusing myself. The circular slice does like 3 times the damage of the regular slices so its obvious when I hit with the circular slice twice that it was two hits from the circular slice not the fourth swing. I understand that when you push the button for the third swing it sets up both the third and fourth swing, but they do not happen at the same instant and if you press circular slice in between them I dont believe the fourth attack takes place.

I can't test more at this moment because Steam is down so I can't log into my Ranked characters and I don't have a level 15 or whatever squire in Open.

I noticed this when playing my squire as well. After switching to the Countess, I also noticed that it's possible to get two hits on the third swing of her combo (only happens when dry humping enemies, and it doesn't seem to proc consistently). Makes burning down Ogres much easier, especially with Call to Arms active.

The 3rd hit hits twice but you need to first face your target, then turn 45-60 degrees to the left, since the 2nd hit from the 3rd swing starts from right next to her on her right side, which is weird but some practice will cure that. Would rather have the 2nd hit just hit whatever you're facing but oh well.