Would be be possible to test patches in Open? Would Open players mind?

Any thoughts on testing patches for ranked in open first? It would be fairly easy to get feedback as players can already export into Open from Ranked.

Hmm interesting idea... I dont see why they couldnt release them as total conversions so they dont force everyone in open to get screwed.

They should just create a testing server for people to go onto and play test it at least 4 days before it goes live. Much like WoW, but without the month wait between patches. It would get rid of most of the very apparent screw ups they make.

I'm alomst certain simply creating a new server option (so it'd be Ranked, Open, Test) shouldn't be too much of a hassle save for extra server space required. We already know each server can be seperately patched (hence Open getting the turkey content late).

Interesting idea but I think there would be some problems trying to do this.

The game is hosted on the players computer, Trendy's server is just a machine to store characters and provide data for searching games and stuff.

So if you wanted to test a new patch you would need a new copy of the game on your hard drive. Seems a bit too complicated to be added this late in the game.

Now that I think about it.. thats how Eve works. If you want to beta test the next release you need to install a seperate copy of the game that is patched to that version. So I suppose Trendy could do something similar.

Interesting idea but I think there would be some problems trying to do this.

The game is hosted on the players computer, Trendy's server is just a machine to store characters and provide data for searching games and stuff.

So if you wanted to test a new patch you would need a new copy of the game on your hard drive. Seems a bit too complicated to be added this late in the game.

Now that I think about it.. thats how Eve works. If you want to beta test the next release you need to install a seperate copy of the game that is patched to that version. So I suppose Trendy could do something similar.

Thats why i think instead of creating a new server they could simply release the patch as a total conversion.

They should just create a testing server for people to go onto and play test it at least 4 days before it goes live. Much like WoW, but without the month wait between patches. It would get rid of most of the very apparent screw ups they make.

dang it i jsut made almost the exact same post on another thread and i just read yours. guess i'm an hour late and a dollar short .

Thats why i think instead of creating a new server they could simply release the patch as a total conversion.

what is a total conversion? can you explain for folks like me who are pretty ignorant about software and stuff?

what is a total conversion? can you explain for folks like me who are pretty ignorant about software and stuff?

Total conversions are part of the modding system they built into the game. They allow for completely different games aka you could make a fps game out of dungeon defenders which uses completely different files than the standard game.. The way i see it this would be more than powerful enough for them to release pre patches to the community for testing the plus side being that only people who want to or can test are having to download it.

ah i see. that's why i did not understand..thanks much ..
i really don't understand the whole modding stuff. i know some people like/love it though !
i'm kinda the type person that wants to experience their vision and lack a lot of my own. i was always a terribad artist and excelled in the sciences.
I'm a electronics guy and always look to someone else for the software.

edit: software folks please do not take that wrong ! i know yoru fields require a lot of the same math and technical backgrounds that working with the hardware does. i was not trying to insult anyone with this post!

ah i see. that's why i did not understand..thanks much ..
i really don't understand the whole modding stuff. i know some people like/love it though !
i'm kinda the type person that wants to experience their vision and lack a lot of my own. i was always a terribad artist and excelled in the sciences.
I'm a electronics guy and always look to someone else for the software.

I just screw around with a ton of different things and know alot of random information.

But yeah i see the total conversions as a good way already built into the game for them to pre release/test patches.

I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to testing in Open. Most of these patches don't actually break anything, they just tweak the loot tables which cause players to whine. Open Players aren't going to whine over loot tweaks. If they want better gear, they can just mod it in (or play on a modded map).