Popular and Profitable: Why you won't be either if you don't change, Trendy

It's always tough to take criticism, Trendy, but sometimes you need to. I don't think anyone on this forum wants you to fail. I certainly don't. Many of us want to work with you to make Dungeon Defenders enjoyable for us and popular and profitable for you. These are some of my observations on things I feel you need to work on, and fast.

You are capable of making unpopular decisions (mostly for the wrong reasons)

This can be a good quality. Sometimes you need to change the game in an unpopular way to make it more equitable. Squires doing more damage with their towers while having the highest health and displacement and low cost? Toxic to the game. It's not fair that Squires are the best at everything. But making unpopular decisions swings both ways. You goofed big time in 7.10. You added loots that massively eclipsed pre-7.10 loots. You made the unpopular decision to massively nerf Survival drops. You rewarded the people that didn't patch and grinded the whole day to amass loot, then made it harder for Joe Casual to get. Putting the loot into the game in the first place did irreparable damage that you did not undo by screwing Joe Casual. So what do you do in 7.12? Add massively eclipsing gear and screw Joe Casual again in a hotfix. You made the game less fair to try to fix your goof.

You don't learn from your mistakes

You don't. Every patch that goes by where you sneak in at the last second nerf or even omit unpopular changes entirely. Elemental damage nerfs (which weren't even mentioned until two or three days later). Monk auras nerfs. Monk aura nerfs a second time. Upgrade cost increase. Uberfest nerfs. It goes on. What do you hope to accomplish by trying to sneak these in? You tout the positive features days in advance even if they don't work (chicken buffs in 7.11, 7.11b, 7.12). Be up front with us. Unsurprisingly, we may react negatively to your unpopular changes. But we're not stupid. You won't avoid the negativity by ignoring it.

You've lost your roots

This is a tower defense game. The game is supposed to be about creating defenses to protect your base as monsters try to assault it. There is supposed to be a strategy element to it. However, you've inflated that away. Towers at the highest levels are a joke. You build towers that, instead of killing mobs, slow down their assault while your character shoots them to death. Towers should be the focus of a tower defense game. Get back to that.

What you need to do:

* Be a man - I can only assume the reason you do the sneaky changes is you don't want to have to put up with the backlash. Tough. You will not quell our dissatisfaction by hiding or ignoring it. Be up front with us on unpopular changes. Give us time to discuss it. You will instantly quash every thread about you sneaking in nerfs if you stop sneaking in nerfs.

* Make things equitable - When you goof, you should never reward John NeverPatches by making the things he acquires unobtainable a day later. When you goof, it is your fault, not Joe Casual. You need to either leave the goofs in unaltered OR take away from John NeverPatches. We, your Joe Casuals and Bob KindaHardcores are your base. Do not spite us for your own goofs.

* Figure out where you want to take the game - I bought a tower defense game. It has become a third person shooter loot grinder. If you want a third person shooter loot grinder, that's fine. I don't. But be sure you really want to take us down that path.

Nightmare is going to be far more Defense-leaning than the INSANE end-game. I would also note that the early game is just as Defense-oriented as it ever was, even more-so given the Defense buffs of Upgrading and Active Hero.

-Jer

Not when you make weird changes like call to arms stack now with male monk hero boost. Never did before

If you dont like the game, go play Skyrim... I only had to read the titles of each section to know your just angry to be angry. I am very happy with the amount of care they have poured into the game thus far. Be happy that they even care what trolls like you write on their forums.

An excellent, albeit very tired, strawman. Where am I wrong, Repeats? Which points enhance the game, making it better? How are they invalid?

Or, I could disregard what you wrote and write you off as a fanboy. You fanboy.

Unsurprisingly, we may react negatively to your unpopular changes. But we're not stupid. You won't avoid the negativity by ignoring it.

It's even stronger than that. By sneaking it in, they've not only nerfed, but been underhanded about it.

And beyond that, if people have a few days to deal with it before it happens, they aren't nearly so mad when it -does- happen. Sure, they get a few days to 'exploit' the system, but they feel good about that, and that lessens the pain even more.

When you make a mistake, it's okay to let people take advantage of it for a short time before you fix it. It's not going to kill anyone, and the economy will never work anyhow. The very design of the game prevents an economy from working.

They claim its a tower defense game but as we can see they hardly play the game themselves.... Jer said himself they didn't even finish UMF before releasing it. HOW CAN YOU DO THAT! Can't you just put in a code to be godlike and kill all the mobs and see what drops. This game is going down the path of self-destruction. Sad thing is, all this gear we are getting now... Guess what guys. A month down the road you will have to farm all over again for better gear...next month after that again and again and again. I understand you need progression but how many times will I have to worry about upgrading my gear. I've never seen any game in my life where I had to upgrade and get new gear so many times.

I am relatively new here, but after playing Orcs Must Die! I have a relative comparative point.

I can't speak for patch changes, as for like I said, I am too new for that. But what I can say is that the game should really re-evaluate the end-game. Like a previous poster said. I would enjoy the game much more if more strategy was involved, rather than auto firing things. I am sure I can't be the only one who bought a Tower Defense game expecting that.

I would like to add also that the UI pisses me off a lot! but this is a personal pet peeve.

Please take this as constructive criticism, not as a complain.

So, just to clarify one of the points in the OP, defense-focused builds can't really hold their own in the top-end most difficult content? You need to be hero damage to manage? I stepped away for a week to try to let things simmer down and apparently it's a new game again.

There was another thread I read earlier tonight that expanded on how towers became useless. Basically, the only viable towers right now are traps, auras, Spike Blockade, Magic Blockade, and maybe Magic Missile, Fireball, and Bouncer Blockade. The damage physical towers do compared to mob health is laughable. They're also a liability because they need to have Strength Drain Aura and probably Ensnare Aura/Gas Trap to survive.

Nightmare is going to be far more Defense-leaning than the INSANE end-game. I would also note that the early game is just as Defense-oriented as it ever was, even more-so given the Defense buffs of Upgrading and Active Hero.

-Jer

Good luck with the hype train.. Since you fail to deliver with the new challenge maps and the new thanksgiving map, I am not going to believe a word you say.. Also the lie/nerf of 7.12b further proves my point that trendyent can't even be trusted..

@Jer:
As long as DEW trains keep flipping through all manners of defense onto builder's heads [preventing them from doing anything], there will be no reason to stay on a Tower Character. A 33% Damage boost on SOME towers is crap compared to a 300k DPSer. If you are implying that characters will need to stay on Builders because Defenses will fall, it'll just be another notch (combined with the 33% damage boost) towards trying as hard as possible to use as many Towers from a single builder as possible, which you've made pretty clear you want to avoid.

Furthermore, Builders still have no way to reliably deal with Ninjas, Ogres, and Mages. As long as Ninjas are flipping around keeping the builders from doing anything, the Ogres and Mages are going to piss all over the towers. Once again, it seems its best to just go all out and protect whats already there.

This game is catered towards DPS and I don't see it moving from it any time in the future. There is simply no good reason to really play a Builder outside of Build Phase.

Good luck with the hype train.. Since you fail to deliver with the new challenge maps and the new thanksgiving map, I am not going to believe a word you say.. Also the lie/nerf of 7.12b further proves my point that trendyent can't even be trusted..

Then don't play. That was easy.

Then don't play. That was easy.

If you don't enjoy reading resounding negative feedback, don't come on the trendynet forums. That was easy.

• 2 weeks later...
Just made a "why im quitting post" EXACTLY OUTLINES THIS.

if you made a post about quitting why are you still here? xD guess you're also a liar