Do you use mana bomb?

The reason the votes are split, and half the people claim that Mana Bomb works really well for them, is because they play the game on Medium - or, that is to say, anything that isn't Insane.

I could probably beat the game on Hard just afk'ing with an Animus...

The reason the votes are split, and half the people claim that Mana Bomb works really well for them, is because they play the game on Medium - or, that is to say, anything that isn't Insane.

Might also be because of their level. The higher my Apprentice gets, the less I use Mana Bomb. My normal DPS was pretty low earlier on, and Mana Bomb made up for it. Now, my Apprentice does a ton more damage as I've put points in Damage and gotten better weapons. On Insane, it's not really worth the risk of trying to use Mana Bomb for anything other than a last resort due to the fact that I can do much better DPS with my staff and do it from a range.

I could probably beat the game on Hard just afk'ing with an Animus...

Yep. Best I do is farm Glitter\Summit on insane and Spook on hard. Mana Bomb doesn't get used. I find if your mage does great dps you would rather stand up close behind that mob (Ogre?) and spam those lazer beeeems into its butt(s).

Personally, id like to see it use up all your mana. Full mana, it does insane damage. 10% mana, it does little damage. Maybe a 10 or so sec cooldown?

It is fun low to mid game though.

I use mana bomb time to time, but i dont see it so much of needed as it should be. I mean since game is so survival / mix mode orientated atm, its more of risk to use mana bomb in fear of knocking some mobs to wrong spots and cause unreverted dmg, so unless im sure i can kill the stuff im bombing or im far away from critical spots i wont use it. My charge up spraying easily does much more dmg and makes sure stuff dies in large radius. ;)

Buff knockback on staff.. and projectile speed (actually you don't need to because most good staff comes with over 1500 projectile speed anyways).. hit right click.. there you go now you have a mini mana bomb.. and guess what.. IT SCALES WITH YOUR HERO ATT :D!!!!!!!!!

Not only that but you also skip the whole bs cool down part.. amazing ain't it?

Mana bomb is useless trust me on this... The only way mana bomb can be of any use is if the cool down is lowered to like 20-30 seconds.. and it scales with hero att..

=======edit========

Protip: you can short charge your right click ability on apprentice as well for maximum result! I recommend getting a macro set it to 150 ms (use the one in the mod section, it's an auto it script) and get 70 over charge on staff (most good staff comes relatively close) Sit on top of your towers, let your apprentice spam right click forever, come back 3 hours later, and your towers are still there..

How to Reduce Mana Bomb's Cooldown:

-Overcharge
-Cast Mana Bomb
-Push M
-Die
-Respawn
-Grab Mana
-Overcharge
-Cast Mana Bomb
-Push M
-Die
-Etc.

That's something they really need to take into consideration if they are to buff Mana Bomb. Any ability's cooldown can be worked around by dying. Some abilities refresh so fast that you'd spend more time dead than waiting on the timer, but Mana Bomb is one where you could probably save a good 45+ seconds by just dying.

Mana bomb is the one of the most lackluster moves in the game.

I started playing as an Apprentice. After trying out Huntress and trying out it's Piercing Shot skill I stopped my Apprentice at that time.

Here's my breakdown:
PS is a 1 second cooldown and costs 40 mana. I and other Huntresses can SPAM this skill. Using it 5 times would cost the 200 mana of Mana Bomb, but again, on Hard/Insane mana isn't an issue, and when it is the Genie would counteract that.

Give Mana Bomb a 5 second cooldown so the cost/cooldown would equal a Huntress and I wouldn't mind. Cast time... again, that is an imaginary thing with an Apprentice since Overcharge can be toggled. Turn on Overcharge, do what you need to, and turn it off. OC would go through maybe 2~ ticks and cost you not even 20 mana extra.

The range could also be changed. PS goes for a long distance while MB is a small area. Now, if MB damaged the entire map at it's current cost/cooldown then I wouldn't be so upset. That would give time to give yourself an emergency breather, get those skeleton mages to stop infinitely casting skeletons right outside your aura life and draining it, and during that time you can run to your weak spots and give them a quick OC repair/upgrade.

Yeah, and that's me comparing it to the Huntress. Unfair? Maybe. Would it be more appropriate for me to compare it to the Squire's AOE spin move? The mana bomb move would still lose to that.

tl;dr

My fix:
Option 1: Leave the cooldown and cost. Have it persist after death. Make the move do the damage to the entire map, and make it stun Ogres for "some" seconds. If you can't figure out how to make this skill extremely powerful then I don't know what to say.

Option 2: Decrease the cooldown/cost so its equal in regards to the Huntress and Squire.

I really only use it for fun every now and then or if I get myself in a bad spot and get surrounded I'll pop overcharge and bomb just to make way to move again.

With the cooldown, the mana cost and the knockback (has potential to knock enemies past your defenses), I don't really use it as a dps tool at all. More of an "Oh ****" button.

its good in doorways against stacked mobs until wave 10 and they stop dying from it. it should have a way faster cooldown and no cast time, think of arcane explosion in wow (ok not that fast of a cooldown) but something that can compare to joust and piercing shot would be cool imo, if your gonna give adept and apps dmg abilities they should atleast be fun and useful

its good in doorways against stacked mobs until wave 10 and they stop dying from it. it should have a way faster cooldown and no cast time, think of arcane explosion in wow (ok not that fast of a cooldown) but something that can compare to joust and piercing shot would be cool imo, if your gonna give adept and apps dmg abilities they should atleast be fun and useful

The amount of stat points and armor upgrades that you have to invest into Manabomb to get even REMOTELY worth pressing is stupid. You're better off investing that into hero attack and using your partial-charge fan of nuclear missiles under virtually ALL circumstances. Hell, even if Mana Bomb was instant cast (meaning it didn't interrupt firing your actual weapon because even with overcharge it STILL does, not to mention the stupid twirly swirly "Hey kill me, I'm a moron!" animation), had a 2 second cooldown, AND only cost 40 mana it would still be inferior to PS, PSS, joust and pretty much any hero skill out there.

Why? Because it's POINT BLANK RANGE. You have to be in the thick of things to get ANY use out of it...the very place you NEVER want to find yourself by choice.

And seriously, even with 200 points in mana bomb the damage it does is a joke anyways. Your run of the mill 30^ VW with 200 PS skill will be more useful, to say nothing of what 250 skill PS with a super loot weapon will do (any of them, pick one)...