Please add one-time saves for survival next patch

Heres some counter arguments for you.

Make the game boring? Sorry but i find being forced to sit for hours without anyway to take a brake and play a different game or turn the game off for the night and so on to be extremely boring.

Easy?? Yes because sitting for 6 hours straight makes it hard.

Exploiting... you obviously did not read the original suggestion or do not understand what a one time save is.

Loot... well lets see they made insane harder, put all the good loot in survival and the community tends to kick people if they dont have good stats. Go read the many threads where people get kicked because they dont have perfect stats.

And again get your hardcore elitist attitude out of here. The only reason i see behind any of the stuff you have said so far is you dont want everyone to have access to playing the "hardcore players" mode. Sadly this suggestion has nothing to do with making it easier on people its about making it so that the many many people who cannot reliably play through the mode can start and finish it at their own pace.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't just in response to you but your comment was a nice short quote full of anger and hostility( to which I feel I should start responding with hostility.)

I'm sorry you feel someone refuting your point is hostility. Given your wall of text here and things like this "Casual is not a dirty word, good lord. It's just a word, I'm not classifying you calm down" I'm starting to think you're the one who's getting a little too involved into this argument, not me. I simply wrote a very short post explaining what is wrong with your train of thought, and you wrote an essay that completely failed to address my point.

[quote]The fact that it is optional is just that, this isn't me saying "don't add this feature because you don't have to" this is me saying, don't change this mode that you don't have to play for people who don't like playing it. Is that really a hard concept to grasp?[/quote]

You talk about this as if it's a fundamental change. Arguing against this makes about as much sense as arguing against the ability to configure hotkeys. This does nothing to alter the difficulty of the challenge, it merely makes things more convenient for players and perhaps gives some players who normally don't have the time for this to try it. It's not as if this isn't already possible, you simply need to leave your computer on (and pray your connection holds). This does not introduce a new functionality.

[quote]If we add such a feature to survival, then survival will become more convenient and rewarding than regular campaign missions. Which makes absolutely no sense.[/quote]

Um, since super loot survival has been more rewarding than campaign anyway, unless you're looking for exp or specific rewards (like animus from summit). On mixed mode even early survival waves like 9-10 will yield much better stuff than campaign. At this point survival being the loot farming mode seems pretty much a design decision.

[quote]"Well ok then, add a save feature to the regular campaigns?" Really? you can't sit and play a map for 30-45 minutes.[/quote]

That's nice and all, but straw man arguments really won't help your case. Nobody asked for campaign saving because maps are designed to be short, survival is not.

[quote]Again, we are at a loss of sense, or hey lets change angles here and say, "Well now I have my nifty save feature, and this wave isn't going the way I like, lets revert back to when things were good." Now we exploiting it. So now the feature not only makes no sense when regular campaign missions are there but it can also be exploited.[/quote]

I would expect the save mechanic to be similar to the kind of save mechanic you see on many hand held gaming systems. When you save, you must exit the game, and when you load, the save is lost. Meaning it can only be used for the purpose of resuming the game later, nothing else.

[quote]We have those people who keep saying I'm not looking from different points of view, well look from mine. I have not yet completed survival, no giraffe, no wave 25. It's a goal, a challenge.[/quote]

So far, have you been failing to reach wave 25 because you had to stop playing, or because you lost? If it's not the former, this argument has nothing to do with this discussion, because it would not get easier.

[quote]If having good loot instead of just playing the game for fun is more important to you, then you are simply doing it wrong. I come on here all the time and see people with gear that has stats more than double my own, I'm jealous.[/quote]

Phew, glad we cleared that up. Could you please tell me which campaign maps I should enjoy most as well, I wouldn't want to do that wrong as well. Actually, maybe you could write a short summary about the best way to play and enjoy this game, which aspects I should enjoy and which I should not, it'll really make things easier.

[quote]I don't cry that it needs to be easier err oh wait more accessible to me.[/quote]

I'd love for you to stop posting garbage err oh wait things that do nothing to further the debate.

[quote]If this mode didn't reward the gear it does, no one would complain about it's length. That shows that you only care about the gear and not about the mode. The gear is prestige, if you don't have the time you won't be able to flex your e-peen get over it.[/QUOTE]

Oh hey more straw man arguments!

I guess you haven't read the forums for very long then. Before super loot, heck before the reward of survival was even known, there were still tons of complaints about it's length, which was a billion times longer then. At that point it really was just some random optional mode that wasn't worth bothering with, and there were still plenty of complaints.

Well Morth I think it's safe to say at this point, that you do completely understand my view and point, and I say based on the way you picked apart my post and argued against context sensitive points. To do say shows you understand the context of the statements made, to end it with a direct and unhidden personal attack is cute at best. In the sense of arguing you have won, simply by making me not want to respond to your willful ignorance. Go ahead retaliate that's great. Unless this thread becomes popular enough that I think trendy will go back on what they said nearly a year ago about never adding a save feature, or a new thread which could have that same result pops up, then I'm done here. Grats sir.

So by pointing out all the flaws and failures in your "arguments" he is being ignorant? Or do you simply have no real thing to argue with and your not running away.

I hope for the day your isp turns to crap and you can never play this game online due to internet dcs. Since by your current stance thats your fault and because of that you must suffer from it.

Interim saves are a good idea in theory, but not sure about practice. Unfortunately, they are also quite easy to exploit. They also wouldn't solve the disconnect problems unless you want them to be more exploitable. Interim saves are deleted upon loading, so they wouldn't solve the disconnection or internet hiccup moments. They'd help more people find the time to do survival (like me), but we'd have them abused.
Possibly, you'd have to limit it to steam cloud being enabled to use such interim saves, but then we'd probably have more players complaining of rollbacks instead of keeping the loot they collected from dc'ing.

If an interim option is added, I'd like the option of it being possible to disable it, in case it causes problems down the line. I'd rather keep some loot that I gained from survival than lose it all those hours of progress.

Gear being part of the fun and gear being all of the fun are two very different things. I love getting gear in this game, but moving the goal line closer is not how I want to get it, the gear isn't because I need it, the gear is little goals farther down the road. I don't think I will ever have perfect or even near perfect gear in this game while it is still the best, and that is ok. Of course my points are subjective everyones experience is going to be different, though to not see that the game does allow everyone to experience all of the game is quite willfully ignorant.

Oh and yes I've been getting annoyed, it's bound to happen as people argue with me and attempt to insult me at the same time, while hopefully convincing the devs to change part of the game that I enjoy. Why would I not be annoyed if I lost that.

Gonna be honest, the last 8 words or so here in this sentence lost me, just confused and missing whatever it was you were trying to say. "You still don't seem to get it, and are getting annoyed over nothing that you said yourself would not affect you."

Moving the goal line closer hardly has anything to do with it. Allowing the same game to be played out over more than one session is what is being discussed. No one is insulting you or being hostile. All that is being suggested is that the ability to compete for end game loot be given to more those that don't have a 6 hour block of time to play at once and those who don't have perfect internet connections. What you are suggesting is that those people not even have an opportunity to try, regardless of whether or not they want to, all because you don't want them to. And the only reason that you can give for not wanting them to, is because you say that it will effect the way you play the game, when the reality is, if you don't like the idea of an ironman save feature, you are free not to use it. So in reality, it doesn't effect you in the least.

Moving the goal line closer hardly has anything to do with it. Allowing the same game to be played out over more than one session is what is being discussed. No one is insulting you or being hostile. All that is being suggested is that the ability to compete for end game loot be given to more those that don't have a 6 hour block of time to play at once and those who don't have perfect internet connections. What you are suggesting is that those people not even have an opportunity to try, regardless of whether or not they want to, all because you don't want them to. And the only reason that you can give for not wanting them to, is because you say that it will effect the way you play the game, when the reality is, if you don't like the idea of an ironman save feature, you are free not to use it. So in reality, it doesn't effect you in the least.

HAHAHA that just made me think hes arguing against a optional feature by saying the mode is optional.

This is the best comment. I hope Edstonx sees it.

If someone breaks a 6 hours grindfest into 1 hour blocks they have still put forth the same sum of effort and skill. I really don't understand how it can be perceived as easier, unless the deciding factor is how long the player(s) held the contents of their bladder and how little blood got to circulate through their legs. As I understand it, the "Survival" refers to the player's fictional character and their crystal, not about that player dying in real life from of a blood clot.

Exploits: For Ranked, TrendyNet server stores a hash of the save and verifies it when restarting. Give the hash a limited life, say 48-72 hours after which it is deleted and the save will only work for Local/Open.

If someone breaks a 6 hours grindfest into 1 hour blocks they have still put forth the same sum of effort and skill. I really don't understand how it can be perceived as easier, unless the deciding factor is how long the player(s) held the contents of their bladder and how little blood got to circulate through their legs. As I understand it, the "Survival" refers to the player's fictional character and their crystal, not about that player dying in real life from of a blood clot.

Exploits: For Ranked, TrendyNet server stores a hash of the save and verifies it when restarting. Give the hash a limited life, say 48-72 hours after which it is deleted and the save will only work for Local/Open.

Exactly. There is no meaningful difference. Most MMORPG's see this and let raid instances persist for a week.

Damn damn damn. You are good at forcing me to respond.

Why not go run an Olympic marathon 100 meters at a time, breaking whenever we want in the middle, adding it up and calling it success.

Also if the feature is there I'm gunna use it, simply because not using it would be putting myself at a disadvantage for no reason.

Your mindset is all on the loot, well that part is gone now. Jeremy has already posted that the the superloot will be in nightmare non-survival. So now you have what you want, is there still a need to destroy survival?

Breaking it up into 6 one hour pieces is simply not survival, the word just doesn't fit anymore. Though not a single one of you understand that.

You don't need the loot, but for some reason you must have it. You don't need to do the mode, but for some reason you must complain about it. It doesn't need to be tampered with, yet all you want to do is screw it up. Thats it.

And yes people did directly attempt to insult me, the first comment that comes to mind was something about butt hurting and me being either an ***. That is by all means a direct insult.

And if you only reason for this entire thing is DC's, export to open and continue your life. Heck that can even be minimized and never crash if you want to kinda save it. Ranked should be like Ladder Bnet for D2, there needs to be limits or accomplishments aren't worth a thing.

I really have no other ways to attempt to get my points across, yet no matter how much everyone misses/ignores/denies those points I feel compelled to repeat them. I guess that's my fault, for wanting a game to maintain challenge.

Also if the feature is there I'm gunna use it, simply because not using it would be putting myself at a disadvantage for no reason.

Congratulations. You now know how the majority of players feel about the 'supposed' optional content. I think you just put yourself in an awkward corner here...

Damn damn damn. You are good at forcing me to respond.

So get out of here with your double standards please.

So Survival is optional and if your unlucky enough to not be able to play it thats your fault and you dont have to but if theres a optional setting you dont have to use its putting yourself at a disadvantage. If your being put at a disadvantage its not really optional now is it? So saying people with bad isps or limited time shouldnt be able to play a mode because its optional isnt putting them at a disadvantage?

Survival... Yes normally when this is in a GAME your supposed to survive IN THE GAME not in the real world. Currently Survival is either a how long before you get so bored you just want to end it or b how long before you get a random dc or crash.

Im still not sure how you being forced to sit for hours upon end makes it any harder as it doesnt effect the games difficulty at how.

Yes compare something that lasts a minute to something that lasts a hour. Lets see what is it the ironman competition and many others i forget the name to where your running/racing to be more or less the last one standing before your body gives out. That would be survival.

Maintain challenge in what? WHAT DIFFICULTY i got to wave 15 of survival before i just decided to goto sleep at wave 10 or 11 i was just shooting things to keep myself occupied during the boredom.

Congratulations. You now know how the majority of players feel about the 'supposed' optional content. I think you just put yourself in an awkward corner here...

Lol If that's how you want to put it, everyone is able to do survival your reasons for not doing it are your own, and you have the choice not to. beyond that there really is nothing that needs to be said, even though i've given more points than i can count to support the though. Carefully worded arguments mean nothing on deaf ears, so i'll just turn to quick posts. Undermining a mode and adding a feature that makes it easier, isn't fixing the problem.

Lol If that's how you want to put it, everyone is able to do survival your reasons for not doing it are your own, and you have the choice not to. beyond that there really is nothing that needs to be said, even though i've given more points than i can count to support the though. Carefully worded arguments mean nothing on deaf ears, so i'll just turn to quick posts. Undermining a mode and adding a feature that makes it easier, isn't fixing the problem.

I made my arguments a couple pages back, and I don't even think you actually did me the courtesy of reading the entire posts before responding. What you just said is exactly how I am feeling about you right now.

He has double standards. Its wrong for people to want to not be disadvantaged at a mode because of their REAL LIFE TIME or their ISP being unstable but its ok for him to use a completely optional feature aka option because otherwise he would be at a disadvantage.

Is it just me, or is Edstonx being very contradictory?

It's just you, an optional feature to make hard content easier is not the same as optional content.

I made my arguments a couple pages back, and I don't even think you actually did me the courtesy of reading the entire posts before responding. What you just said is exactly how I am feeling about you right now.

not quite but you chose to take it that way since it does help your argument, you clearly don't understand what i said but you find a sideways way to relate so that must have been the correct way to tke it.

He has double standards. Its wrong for people to want to not be disadvantaged at a mode because of their REAL LIFE TIME or their ISP being unstable but its ok for him to use a completely optional feature aka option because otherwise he would be at a disadvantage.

Double standards would imply that making a mode easier with a feature or simply deciding weather or not to play that mode are the same thing. they are not. If you ISP is an issue play local problem solved, i want my online safe restrictions where those of you GREG who would like an easy way out can stay. Yes a button that you would click that would make it easier for you, is something i would consider clicking to keep up with you slackers.

I played survival a bit last night...my wave finished and I hit escape...I went to bed...I came home from work and progressed further.

I wish I would have gotten disconnected. I really didn't want to ruin survival for everyone. Sorry guys. It was me.

It's just you, an optional feature to make hard content easier is not the same as optional content.

You are deluded if you think that would actually take away from the difficulty. Have you ever played an MMO before? Raids are handled in a way in which people can spend a couple hours on one day, take a break to.. idk, have a life? Then continue on another day within a period of a week.

6 hour clears of 25 wave survival is an unreasonable expectation of most people. How does being able to simply pick up where you left off on that ONE survival match detract from the difficulty? You make absolutely no sense what so ever. All you sound like to me is another elitist prick who happens to have all the time in the world, with no family, no social life, and possibly not even a job, who doesn't want others to have what you do in a VIDEO GAME.

Who gives a flying crap man. Add a save feature. Everyone wins but you.

Optional content... wow so survival is dlc???????????

I can easily argue that online is a optional part of the game or that splitscreen is a optional part but the fact is its a co-op game. Survival was built into the game i dont see how part of the game is optional.

I still dont see how your real life has anything to do with the difficulty of a GAME.

Double standards would imply that making a mode easier with a feature or simply deciding weather or not to play that mode are the same thing. they are not. If you ISP is an issue play local problem solved, i want my online safe restrictions where those of you GREG who would like an easy way out can stay. Yes a button that you would click that would make it easier for you, is something i would consider clicking to keep up with you slackers.

Yes because online is a optional part of the game designed for online/multiplayer co-op.

You think im a slacker? HAHHA i love hoe people always assume things about me. Ive played survival quite a lot and i think ive probably played harder games than you ever have if you think survival in this game is hard.

You are deluded if you think that would actually take away from the difficulty. Have you ever played an MMO before? Raids are handled in a way in which people can spend a couple hours on one day, take a break to.. idk, have a life? Then continue on another day within a period of a week.

6 hour clears of 25 wave survival is an unreasonable expectation of most people. How does being able to simply pick up where you left off on that ONE survival match detract from the difficulty? You make absolutely no sense what so ever. All you sound like to me is another elitist prick who happens to have all the time in the world, with no family, no social life, and possibly not even a job, who doesn't want others to have what you do in a VIDEO GAME.

Who gives a flying crap man. Add a save feature. Everyone wins but you.

Survival is meant to be uh survival learn to survive it or don't do it. Don't tamper with it. I would find it easier.