Must you keep making my aura monk more useless?

What's the deal Trendy? Electric auras are 5 DU now? All you're doing there is putting more points on the side of "just build a lightning tower, stupid."

Before, my monk was capable of doing 2 awesome things (slow/elec), 1 vaguely useful thing (strength drain), 1 thing that had its occasional uses (healing aura), and 1 thing that was almost always worthless (enrage). Now the only particularly useful thing my monk can do is slow things down. Actually, let me rephrase that... Now the only particularly useful thing my monk can do THAT IS AT ALL WORTH THE COST is slow things down.

Electric auras were useful because they are constant damage, and you could layer it with slow. The argument between a lit tower and an elec aura was "Well, do I want massive, long-range damage with a gap between shots, or do I want this area effect of constant medium damage right here?" And usually the only reason an elec aura won the argument is that it was CHEAP. Then it went up to 4 and the argument was harder for the monk to win. Now it is 5, and I can only think of a few places where I would actually build one anymore.

So what's up? Monks were already super-niched characters. Now I only pull mine out to build slow auras. That's basically 60 levels down the drain. I am sad.

rofl
Elec aura isnt useless...
I just wish they nerfed it in some other way so i didnt have to find out what towers to trash...

Monks were in fact op, and they are not "useless" as you said...
And i dont think auras beeing a requirement for any highlevel map means monks are "super-niched"

If you dont like electric aura, build lightning towers
When a warrior comes 3shotting your lightning tower, ill laugh while watching them die in my auras

Have a nice day

...2 awesome things (slow/elec), 1 vaguely useful thing (strength drain), 1 thing that had its occasional uses (healing aura), and 1 thing that was almost always worthless (enrage)

if nothing else, this quote pretty much sums up everything.

Note: I didn't per se call them useless. They are useless in the grand scheme. I build with every class. I use squires to stop enemies, concentrate them, and prevent them from getting to my towers. I use mages to damage them once they get to the walls. I use my monk to slow them down in their wall-breakage. I use my huntress to kill lines of them as they walk towards my choke-point.
So to me, the fact that auras don't take damage is effectively a non-point. My towers don't take damage because they're far from enemies, but outperform the electric aura by a lot and link to enemies much further than the aura could hit.

2 awesome things (slow/elec), 1 vaguely useful thing (strength drain), 1 thing that had its occasional uses (healing aura), and 1 thing that was almost always worthless (enrage)

not arguing it's 100% useless, you probably didnt read any posting or just decided to tell the world you were cool with your super duper dmg aura.

this thread is about the DU change and how still just 50% of our beloved monks auras are - even after the DU nerf - worth being layed down.

wish enrage was as cool as I'd hoped it to be. enrage aura killed mobs (by other mobs) dont even drop items, nor mana. lolz. way to screw 8 DU, huh?

wish enrage was as cool as I'd hoped it to be. enrage aura killed mobs (by other mobs) dont even drop items, nor mana. lolz. way to screw 8 DU, huh?

Enrage is basically an expensive and terrible way of doing what a squire does best: stop enemies from advancing. It sounds way more useful than it has ever proved for me.

I just wish there were at least one Monk aura that hit for non-elemental based damage. Every other class has something that hits for normal damage :/ Enrage "sort of" does that but if the creep is immune to fire, they're completely unaffected.

Enrage is basically an expensive and terrible way of doing what a squire does best: stop enemies from advancing. It sounds way more useful than it has ever proved for me.

But there's not many things which can stop a warrior from advancing. (at least from what I've heard of enrage. Don't quote me on this)

Hey, last time i checked 100 -15 +33 = >100.

As for the DU, its justified.
As for the "Aura is better than Tower" they're both situational. You may prefer auras over towers but that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Hey, last time i checked 100 -15 +33 = >100.

As for the DU, its justified.
As for the "Aura is better than Tower" they're both situational. You may prefer auras over towers but that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

The problem is that the only situation where physical towers were better than auras (or at least, where lightning tower was better than lightning aura) is when the aura can't fit in at all (or at least that is the apparent opinion, I don't have the statistics to show otherwise). At least between Inferno trap and Fireball tower there're very clear pros and cons of either, and the cost difference is very low too. (though I think Inferno trap is still badly underrated by much of the community)

Lol these threads about the monk aura nerfs are so silly... cry about DST or bowling balls having a high DU cost or something, or actually, dry those tears and shut up.

You can still complete every map without air by placing lightning snare and immulation on every corner you can find.

In my opinion monks are the only builders that are practically irreplacable (or at least difficult to replace). While APP towers might be stronger than squire towers, they both do the job. While, I would probably struggle a bit with some maps without str drain and lightning.
YOUR MONK IS SO UNVIABLE NOW

The problem is that the only situation where physical towers were better than auras (or at least, where lightning tower was better than lightning aura) is when the aura can't fit in at all (or at least that is the apparent opinion, I don't have the statistics to show otherwise). At least between Inferno trap and Fireball tower there're very clear pros and cons of either, and the cost difference is very low too. (though I think Inferno trap is still badly underrated by much of the community)

True for the most part but the key thing about a tower versus an aura is that the tower can keep on going without any form of maintenance whatsoever if placed correctly. Also the range from the tower outlasts the range from the aura. The downsides are the aura is constant whereas the tower has a wind up period.

Again, t'is all preference. for 2 DU more you get a more crowd control form of defense that annihilates clusters of wizards without the skeletons draining the aura, not solving the problem, yet for 5 DU you get an aura that turns all ground based things into mush in little to no time at all, without any downtime or immediate feeling of frailty, as lightning towers aren't made for direct contact.

I can't live without my more uselsss monk, strangely when compared to the first release monk he actually seems alot more USEFUL with the changes.

IMO, Monk auras are perfectly balanced as they are now. Simple fact is, people got a taste of power, they loved it, they crave it.

I can't live without my more uselsss monk, strangely when compared to the first release monk he actually seems alot more USEFUL with the changes.

Possibly because ensnare aura is a force multiplier. The more powerful other towers are, the more useful the ensnare is, cause the more damage gets done before mobs gets through the ensnare.

IMO, Monk auras are perfectly balanced as they are now. Simple fact is, people got a taste of power, they loved it, they crave it.

I used monk for building the whole time, and i still do.
I even think they are still a bit OP

As i said earlier, the problem isnt that its getting nerfed, its that its nerfed BY INCREASING COST, id rather have reduced damage

I still think the healing aura DU should be like 1-2... it's an aura hardly ever used, if at all, and it currently costs 5 DU.

What I just find retarded is EVERY tower got this same exact buff but the electric aura somehow deserves the nerf over everything else that is ranged.

What I just find retarded is EVERY tower got this same exact buff but the electric aura somehow deserves the nerf over everything else that is ranged.

There is no nerf. You simply are not SEEING the larger picture here.

A) the point was never to spam crap auras everywhere you deemed.

B) the auras are as useful now as an actual tower.

C) They increased the cost and lowered the damage because of the UPGRADE RAMP modification.

In essence, they BALANCED it. Because having an aura cost such little DU and having them as triple stars completely overshadows every other tower out there. ESPECIALLY lightning towers. With this change, lightning towers now are on par with electric auras, even though auras still cost less. However placement is STILL what decides what is the best choice.

It's not a nerf though, get that out of your head. It's balanced for the new upgrade system. It costs different, because it's MORE useful now. It's not just a "weaken them before they get to the REAL towers". Electric auras are MURDER balls, if anything they filter EVERYTHING that's not electric immune.

Electric auras are invaluable, you only have to choose really good placement for them now instead of spamming them everywhere.

Well that's the thing, I don't have super awesome mamajama gear yet but I could swear my auras are not doing MORE damage, maybe in the first few levels of them but I swear my 3 star is doing the damage my 1 star did before these changes to the aura, just seems kind of lame.