Only those who own DLC maps can play them together...

Gather around everyone! We have a rare opportunity right here to see the mindset of a Pay-to-Win player!

Actually that's a perfectly valid question. If you have a group of four friends, who always play together and one buys the DLC, then the other three players essentially have that DLC. As would any random players that join said friend's game. But I still like the idea of playing the DLC if the host has it; that friend isn't always going to be online or want to play the map, and maybe you would buy it yourself for the freedom/convenience and to give Trendy money. I hear Trendy enjoys money.

Simple solution: allow people who didn't pay for DLC to join, but cannot receive the map completion reward. (I know there are other games which implements a similar solution)

Yeah it makes sense and is do-able on PC as the content is there on disk. I'm sure we'll be able to get 7.12 out earlyish next week when Valve gets back from Thanksgiving... now if only they'd finish their Turkey and post 7.11b :P

-Jer

You can already do this in 7.11, you just need the players without the map to be in the lobby before starting the map.

Magicka DLC can be played with others even if they don't own the DLC. Only the host needs it. That's a lot more nice to players, no?

I like how even things been done before makes it easyer to point it out right?

Seriously? What's the incentive to spend money on dlc if you can just leech off other people?

The incentive is that if you like it, you can support the company that gave you something you like. Or so you can play it on your own schedule. Most F2P models/demos are essentially this - try it til you want to spend money on it. Even then, there are plenty of permanent duration trials where if you buy them, you get the slight convenience benefit (such as those where you wait 10 seconds before starting if you don't have a license). Additionally, hundreds of thousands of open source products out there, offered free but take donations from any who like it and wish to support them. If you want to take the cheapest way through, all the power to you.