Only those who own DLC maps can play them together...

Completely misleading thread title. Following the link, it is clearly a bug and only intended for the new maps. Before you make a thread like this, you may want to read the thread you're referring to. (That is, if you're saying you need to OWN the dlc to even play with someone else on any map at all, which is what the title and your OP suggests.)

I know reading is hard, but sometimes it's worth it. Well, except for Oceanography. I hate that thing. Landlubbers 4ever.

To clarify: it's not DLC in general (such as the new heroes, which you can play everywhere), but the specific DLC maps must be owned to be joined into.

-Jer

As long as this is the case, I am cool with this.
Although you SHOULD Be able to at least join into their Tavern, they just couldn't play the DLC maps (Which goes without saying.)

Completely misleading thread title. Following the link, it is clearly a bug and only intended for the new maps. Before you make a thread like this, you may want to read the thread you're referring to. (That is, if you're saying you need to OWN the dlc to even play with someone else on any map at all, which is what the title and your OP suggests.)

I know reading is hard, but sometimes it's worth it. Well, except for Oceanography. I hate that thing. Landlubbers 4ever.

When thanksgiving things cost 1$ in a month, and subsequently when christmas things cost 1$ in january or so, you won't be able to play with people who just joined the game and haven't purchased it.

It's not only when the mission is picked, you can't even join their tavern. Go ahead and try to join someone's tavern who doesn't have thanksgiving maps when you already do, "Game invite failed". This will be a problem in the near future, one they're not likely to fix.

In other words, If you don't own a map. You can not play on it.

Read above.

It's only logical.

Magicka DLC can be played with others even if they don't own the DLC. Only the host needs it. That's a lot more nice to players, no?

Magicka DLC can be played with others even if they don't own the DLC. Only the host needs it. That's a lot more nice to players, no?

Good for them. I don't expect to be able to play payed content without having payed for it.

Sanctum, another popular multiplayer tower defense only requires the host own the content to allow everyone in the party to utilize it:
Weapon packs
map packs
etc.

That's a nice idea, and we'll go ahead and make that change in 7.12!

-Jer

Good for them. I don't expect to be able to play payed content without having payed for it.

Neither would I expect this from every company, but regardless it's a nice thing to allow players to do. It's not fun having a challenge that most players cannot join...as this is a multiplayer game. If I knew I could play with my friends on this map without all 3 of them buying it I would be much more inclined to buy it.

@Jer: Wow that would be awesome, would definitely go for the DLC maps if that change happened.

-Jer

Inc complaints about having to wait for your friends that own the content having to be online before you can play.

-Jer

Thank you, I'm sure a decision like that will make a lot of people continue playing who would otherwise be CRY / QUIT - ing.

Yeah it makes sense and is do-able on PC as the content is there on disk. I'm sure we'll be able to get 7.12 out earlyish next week when Valve gets back from Thanksgiving... now if only they'd finish their Turkey and post 7.11b :P

-Jer

-Jer

Seriously? What's the incentive to spend money on dlc if you can just leech off other people?

Seriously? What's the incentive to spend money on dlc if you can just leech off other people?

You either have people leeching off each other, or you have people not feel inclined to go for the DLC at all. And if people played on the maps together and found it fun, they might decide to buy the DLC too. A lot of games take this approach, and personally I find this the best way to promote DLC maps. Waiting for your friend with the DLC to come on can be irritating, which will lead you to buy the DLC map if you enjoy it that much. At the same time it doesn't feel like the DLC is making the game pay2win because a large portion of players cannot get the challenge rewards. A good compromise overall, IMO.

Being able to host and or play alone with said DLC?

I really have to stop reading this forum. That was just a really nice move they made and still some people are able to even sh** on that. Unbelievable. Just buy it, and play private all the time.
That on the other could be a really nice incentive to buy the DLC-to play the maps solo. Don't you think?

Gather around everyone! We have a rare opportunity right here to see the mindset of a Pay-to-Win player!