7.11 = Failed to join game from invite

Cannot join anyone's games on my friends list.

Fix one thing, break another.

Happens to several people I know as well, I have not been able to join a game with other people that was not listed under custom game.

This message I believe will occur if the host is playing on DLC you don't have. In the next major update we'll make the message much clearer about what it is you're missing. If you DO have the DLC however, then I'm not sure -- but a "-dowritelog" from the person who failed to join will help track it down.

Regards,
Jeremy

2 things to try.

#1 On custom game take off any filters you have, just reset them all to default
#2 For the person hosting, make sure they don't have 1 of the new DLC's selected for the tavern, pick a standard map and then try and join.

Hey Zeid,

Has Jeremy or Aedus' posts shed any light on the problem you're having? If those haven't helped, it would be great if you can send a Log File of this problem happening for you. Instructions/link on how to do that are in my signature. Just go ahead and e-mail it to the address in my sig as well.

It seems to be the problem, thing is i was hosting and someone who had the DLC who tried to join couldn't join me. Someone who has the alternate gender selected can't join?

Soooo... with five DLCs at this point, four of which are not currently free, buying more DLC can end up limiting with whom you can play? The person with the fewest DLCs needs to host, but what if their connection and/or computer are poor? If I buy the gender swap pack, I can no longer host with my friends that decided not to buy it, and a couple of my friends are unable to host.

No, don't make the message clearer; don't have the message at all. Someone should be able to go to your tavern if they don't have all your DLC, they just can't play on those maps. I mean you can play on someone's server when they have fewer DLCs than you, but they can't play on yours? That's very silly and very limiting. Preventing friends from playing together is a bad idea.

Hey Zeid,

Has Jeremy or Aedus' posts shed any light on the problem you're having? If those haven't helped, it would be great if you can send a Log File of this problem happening for you. Instructions/link on how to do that are in my signature. Just go ahead and e-mail it to the address in my sig as well.

This message I believe will occur if the host is playing on DLC you don't have. In the next major update we'll make the message much clearer about what it is you're missing. If you DO have the DLC however, then I'm not sure -- but a "-dowritelog" from the person who failed to join will help track it down.

Regards,
Jeremy

I was hoping that wasn't the case. It's a bit alienating to players who did buy the DLC ( you could even say it's discouraging, since undoubtedly less people will purchase it than otherwise) to be penalized by being unable to play with their friends without the DLC.

As of now I'm unable to play with about 3/4 of my friends list on steam. This is worse than some connection error, this is serious.

I didn't think that was the case.

I know for a fact that someone can't join your tavern if you have any of the DLC maps highlighted which they don't own (Which makes the lobby "In Tavern: Thanksgiving"), but for the characters it seems a bit weird. Maybe Trendy needs to patch it to check for DLC upon map launch, instead of when joining a tavern to avoid people not being able to connect if the host has the thanksgiving map highlighted (Which to a lot of people wouldn't be an obvious cause of not letting someone join you), and if you don't have it at that point it kicks you, and just remove the check for character related DLC altogether.

Just a quick update so that this thread doesn't get out of control. I have the DLC maps and the DLC characters. My friend does NOT. However he was still able to join my game where I was using the Countess. It was a Campaign map so maybe the problem you people have had relates to DLC maps?Which would also make sense.

I have had similar issues. To fix, I did the following.

Create custom game called Private as this is an open game. Once you spawn in the tavern, invite the player. Once in, hit "ESC" then "G" on keyboard and on the top right select "hide". This will hide your hosted game.

I don't seem to have this issue now but it was a work around. Somehow I feel its something else causing your issue though.

• 2 months later...
Hey, is there any official response on this problem? I have the Quest for the lost eternia shards DLC, but my girlfriend doesn't. As of yesterday she is unable to join my nightmare/campaign games... However we both join a friend who hosted Nightmare/Uber Monster Fest 2 (lifestream hollow map), she was able to join the tavern (even with the map choice set to UMF2/Nightmare) but when we started she got kicked and then when trying to re-join got this retarded "failed to join from invite" message.

Is this an official change that i've seen being thrown around, that people with the DLC will be unable to join those that are hosting the DLC? Would be nice to get an official answer to this.

/Moaner

Hey, is there any official response on this problem? I have the Quest for the lost eternia shards DLC, but my girlfriend doesn't. As of yesterday she is unable to join my nightmare/campaign games... However we both join a friend who hosted Nightmare/Uber Monster Fest 2 (lifestream hollow map), she was able to join the tavern (even with the map choice set to UMF2/Nightmare) but when we started she got kicked and then when trying to re-join got this retarded "failed to join from invite" message.

Is this an official change that i've seen being thrown around, that people with the DLC will be unable to join those that are hosting the DLC? Would be nice to get an official answer to this.

/Moaner

You're still on 7.11? Because that's what this thread was about. Nice necro.