PC Handbook FAQ - Post Questions Here Updated [10/23/11]

Finally's Player Handbook
---------------------------
I assembled the massive amounts of information I and others have created, updated it and am keeping it all in one neat handbook. Please post suggestions and questions on what needs to be added so we can have it all covered!

PC Handbook*

*Note that this should apply to Console versions (PS3 and Xbox360) but I have not played either so I can not confirm everything is 100% accurate. I will assume they are for now unless noted else where.

Post questions here and I'll answer it if possible!

Q: Dungeon Defenders gave me an error on startup in steam. What do I do?

A: Right click Dungeon Defenders in Steam -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity Of Game Cache

-----------------
Q: Where do I get my Preorder bonuses?

A: Host a private game, check in the middle of the Tavern. There should be a crate or 2. Touch them to open them! LOCK THE ITEMS in you Forge ASAP.

-----------------
Q: What does Locking items do?

A: When you lock an item, the item can no longer be sold. This is good for when you use the "Sell All" button. When used in the Tavernkeep, the item will not cycle on a map win.

-----------------
Q: How to open the minimap?

A: Press Left Shift

-----------------
Q: How do I change my camera view?

A: Use Ctrl to turn the camera and mouse wheel scroll up/down to zoom in/out.

-----------------
Q: Can I load my Mobile Characters in to PC?

A: Yes, but only for non-TrendyNet play. See: Transfer Guide

-----------------
Q: Can pets be dropped? How can I get Pets/Familiars?

A: No, pets are not Dropped. However!!! You can earn pets by attaining different accomplishments throughout the game, such as reaching certain waves in survival mode on various difficulties. You will also find pets for purchase within the Tavern's Shop. As you beat levels on Higher Difficulties you will see rare and more powerful pets within the Shop. -JD

-----------------
Q: I see the Barbarian and Series EV as locked characters in my PC version. How do I unlock them?

A: I asked this earlier. JD said they are future classes and the devs have yet to figure out how to distribute them (possibly in the future dlc in mid-late november).

-----------------
Q: Can the Xbox version play with other systems?

A: Unfortunately no. Microsoft doesn't allow cross platform play. Xbox360 defenders will have to play with other Cox360 Dungeon Defenders

-----------------
Q: Can PC/PS3/iOS/Android play together?

A: The game requires a patch to cross play with different systems. It will come out in the near future and most likely be locked to open play. Trendynet will remain how it is now. This is subject to change!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I change my in-game username? it's set as the start of my email address, I'd rather it wasn't.... [[431,hashtags]]

EDIT: worked it out, i had to edit my steam ID from their website(I'm a new steam user.)

How do you create and join a LAN game on PC? My wife and I are on the same network without firewalls.

You can switch to LAN instead of Internet games by clicking the Arrows at the top of the "Network Multiplayer" screen (where it lists all the active games). (Only available in Open mode, not Ranked TNet).

Cheers,
Jer

Is there any way to change button hotkeys on PS3? I'm having to spam R2 to attack for my apprentice, and it's getting really tiring. Any way to either use a different button, or hold down the button to constantly attack or something?

a few quick questions:
1) Will it be possible to play ranked online with the PS3?
2) When is the PS3 version coming out in the UK?
3) Will it be possible to transfer ranked characters to the PS3 version (and vice versa)?
4) Will it be possible to have friends log in and use their ranked characters on my computer (so multiple account logins at the same time)?

I only have one question so i don't have to redo alot of stuff. What do i need to be playing on to get my chars up and rdy for my friends when cross platform is released steam or game spy. Cause i have both but I played on just gamespy before my friend got on and he had steam account so I put in code for steam and started and all my chars where gone but their on the one not started with steam. I don't want to play and get a bunch of char high on steam if the other one is the one im gonna be using. Any chance you know which?

Will there be a way to add friends on Steam easily? Right now, I just got back from my first game of 4, and wanted to add my teammates to my Steam friendlist. I couldn't find an easy way to do that... This would make social play so much more awesome than it already is!

Do you plan on adding a ping or lag indicator column to the open game browser and/or TrendyNet browser (have not used it)? (Or in-game for that matter)

How do i talk to other people ingame, cant seem to find button (pc)

Tab is talk , alt is voice chat. With C you can mark a location

Where is my save file located so I can backup?

I dont really know, but when playing Open, your files will be saved on your PC (and steam) and will not be deleted no matter what, so you dont have to worry.

However, if you are playing ranked, they are only saved in trendyent server (if they were saved on your PC, you could edit them and cheat). Seeing how their server is kinda unstable due to a massive ammount of players logging in, theres nothing you can do until they fix it.

Which platforms will xbox be able to play with?

They said cross-platform , which would mean all of them. PS3, PC, mobile, what not.

Any way to reasign keys 1-9? I would prefer traps 2,3,4 etc.

Any way to reasign keys 1-9? I would prefer traps 2,3,4 etc.

I couldn't find a way to do it in-game, so I went looking through config files. The magic file is:

[Steam install directory]\steamapps\common\dungeon defenders\UDKGame\Config\UDKInput.ini

From there you can change pretty much anything control-related. I made the following changes for my Apprentice:

MouseSensitivity=130.0
Bindings=(Name="V",Command="HotKeyOne | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="HotKeyTwo | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="X",Command="HotKeyThree | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="R",Command="HotKeyFour | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="T",Command="HotKeyFive | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="One",Command="HotKeySix | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="Two",Command="HotKeySeven | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="Three",Command="HotKeyEight | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="Four",Command="HotKeyNine | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="Five",Command="HotKeyTen | OnRelease HotKeyOff")
Bindings=(Name="M",Command="AltFire")

Hope that helps!

"A: No, pets are not Dropped. However!!! You can earn pets by attaining different accomplishments throughout the game, such as reaching certain waves in survival mode on various difficulties. You will also find pets for purchase within the Tavern's Shop. As you beat levels on Higher Difficulties you will see rare and more powerful pets within the Shop. -JD"

Is there an list of accomplishments bonus/gifts/loot so I'll know what to try first?

So having tried out the PC and PS3 demo for dungeon defenders, and awaiting on the EU release on the PSN. I was wondering if there was any manual aim options in DD? The auto-aim/ Lock-on was serviceable with the apprentice but I can't help but think it would benefit more from manual aiming like the PC has. I can guess the move controller features it as well but I would see it playing alot better as a 3rd person shootery style (with the apprentice anyway), offset camera and manual aiming i.e Ratchet and clank, Warhawk, Vanquish and so on.

Other then that minor gripe (that and sony dropping the ball on this), fantastic game so far and will pick it up when I can.

So having tried out the PC and PS3 demo for dungeon defenders, and awaiting on the EU release on the PSN. I was wondering if there was any manual aim options in DD? The auto-aim/ Lock-on was serviceable with the apprentice but I can't help but think it would benefit more from manual aiming like the PC has. I can guess the move controller features it as well but I would see it playing alot better as a 3rd person shootery style (with the apprentice anyway), offset camera and manual aiming i.e Ratchet and clank, Warhawk, Vanquish and so on.

Other then that minor gripe (that and sony dropping the ball on this), fantastic game so far and will pick it up when I can.

Try switching to Pro Control Scheme mode in the Options menu (rather than Standard), it allows you to turn while aiming in top down camera mode like a dual-stick shooter, and thus is closer to manual aiming. And yes PS Move is full manual aiming.

-Jer

How do I get the source code if I bought the game on steam? At Gamestop I see that the game is a digital download and it says:

"Mod it, Create it, Remake it - All gameplay code & source content ships with the PC version, so intrepid Dungeon Masters can modify or totally recreate the game to their heart's content!"

I don't see any tool or secondary download of the source code, nor did I see the source code in the steam files.