Will Hybrids be useful? Discussion with REAL math (sorta)

Normally I hate this kind of speculation, but I played with a really amazing guy last night and I think he's persuaded me that hybrid tower specs might not be good enough.

Basically a "godly" tower spec can reach over 500 tower attack and can still get around 200 in the other tower stats.

Meanwhile a "hybrid" has to bring enough HP, speed, attack, and casting to remain helpful on the battlefield. He also has to buff up his weapon (instead of making a tower stat weapon) for self-defense.

Ultimately it becomes very debatable if someone who bring a monk who can make 1700 damage lightning auras is worth watering down for a hybrid. If you wanted the HYBRID to pull off 1700 damage you would still need over 400 in tower attack. This would require significantly dampened hero stats JUST to break even.

Part of the problem is that combat builds REQUIRE an active pet (no giraffes!) AND a damaging weapon. So you simply don't get the same kind of stat pool that a pure tower spec gets. A fully upgraded giraffe and tower weapon can provide over 250 tower stats - there's no way you can get that much from a hero weapon + active pet. Then you have to spread your points even further to make sure you have adequate hero dmg, hp, speed, etc...

So let me paint two pictures for you, the player who makes TOP tower spec's and TOP hero spec's compared the other other guy who makes a TOP hybrid. I will use monk for this hypothetical.

TOP Hero: Over 150k DPS, excellent speed (100+) and a solid cast rate for quick repairs. Also carries a high amount of HP or resists in order to tank dark elf warriors. Uses an active combat pet like animus/chicken/fairy/guardian to become an avatar of death!

+

TOP Tower: Nearly 600 in tower attack, 200 in tower range and speed, over 100 in tower HP. This creates incredibly powerful auras that deal 1700 damage every ~.4 seconds before upgrades.

OR

TOP Hyrbid: At best will reach 100k DPS in most battlefield scenarios. Will be squishier than the top hero and more prone to sudden death by :warrior: squads - may also be slower and will almost certainly have slower repair and upgrade times. Their damage-oriented weapon and active combat pet will almost certainly cost them over 150 stats. This means that even if they break 400 tower attack and manage to keep solid range and tower speed, IT WILL ONLY BREAK EVEN WITH A 600 PURE TOWER ATTACK BUILD. Even if it does give you a slight edge in damage - you become a weaker and weaker combat build as you do so. So gaining an extra 5,000 DPS from all your auras can come at the cost of 50,000 DPS on your hero.

Conclusion: Unless you always play with a group of 3-4 and your setup uses a "repair hero" who generally avoids combat and focuses on maintenance - a hybrid setup is almost certainly not optimal. Even a "repair hybrid" would be dubious since you still have to give up the giraffe for some kind of active pet (probably a guardian) and assassins will still be a major concern that could ruin a run by killing you and slicing up the towers you were supposed to be healing.

Edit- While having 150k+ DPS and tanky stats may not be necessary for content right now (Wave 25 insane survival might disagree) - this is all post-Wednesday speculation anyway. By the time we have to worry about the +33% hyrbrid boost, we will also be worrying about Nightmare mode where presumably having 150k+ DPS will be important when 5,000,000 HP ogres start showing up (just a guess, but I doubt it's far off).

I appreciate the more thorough investigation of the idea ;)

I personally project that a hybrid will be a more viable option in the coming patch. Here are my thoughts.

1. The point ramp. Maxing out a stat is not nearly as powerful as spreading out the points to something else you'll be using. Other games like WoW use similar curves to keep people from consistently Min/Maxing (But you'll still always have your linear thinkers, lol) The curve works well for those willing to explore it. Someone else will be able to explain the math a little better than I.

2. The utility of traps and character mobility/dps is far more important than the actual pumped out numbers. That your fireball tower is pumping out 20k DPS over here holding off kobolds, while you are taking care of the wizard wave over yonder with your 50-100K DPS, is far more potent than one side doing potently more and the other not enough.

3. It's what trendy wants to accomplish. So, they will tweak it if it is not powerful enough. ;)

In the end, it looks as though full tower, hybrid, and DPS will be viable options without one being universally claimed as the "Only way to go" At least that's my projection/hope.

A much better thread than the one that inspired it. I do appreciate your scenarios...however, there's a far, far, far simpler (sorta) question involved. It just takes more work to answer.

Does the added hero damage from going hybrid offset the loss in whatever stats you draw from?

In order to really get a grap on this answer, imo, we have to take characters with identical resources (we're talking late-game if we're having this discussion, so probably optimal or close-to-optimal) and tweak one to be hybrid. Find the raw #s, account for how applicable those #s would be (KPS vs DPS, Ogre-damage vs mob damage, etc...), and then decide if the trade-off is worth it. For each class, probably--since I suspect the answer varies.

I'll be honest. No way in hell am I doing that collection. I'm willing to help analyze the #s once they're in, but...

For this discussion, I think it's safe to assume that at least 2 of the 4 players in the game will be purely DPS spec'd. I think (and I suspect Sogui would agree) that the real spot a "hybrid" may be used is in the case of a repair monkey.
Player 1: DPS
Player 2: DPS
Player 3: Hybrid App/Monk
Player 4: That guy who sucks and just takes up the 4th slot because his sister is hot

The one variable that throws so many calculations off is the fabled overkill damage. If you're dealing 20,000 points of damage to an enemy with 3k HP, then you've got a 17,000 damage doing pretty much nothing. Certainly you want a little bit more than that to fight a few high HP mobs, but even they should go down in no more than a few attacks, and in the case of Ogres, it translates to a few extra seconds.

What all this translates to is how many points can you reallocate to defense refire rates/range and a bit of HP from your own hero stats without a significant difference in your stats.

Other factors are: How often you get hit. (If you barely ever get touched, all that HP is totally worthless. It's a handicap stat.)

How well you utilize your hybrid's unique abilities over your DPS' abilities. (i.e. if you're able to do miracle-worker repairs and rebuilding with your Apprentice over your Huntress, that could prove useful depending on the mode, and worthless on another mode.)

The mode you're playing on. (Obviously, later on in Insane Survival you're going to need these super-high damage modifiers. The question is... do you like doing lots of Survival? These damage stats mean little anywhere else.)

What towers you actually have, duh.

And plenty of other issues.

The biggest question, though, is this: "Do I have to play optimally to succeed in this mission?"

The answer, I wager, for 95% of missions in the game is "No."

For the other 5% it's "Maybe."

You have to factor in necessity. Sometimes a Hero class will do way more damage that what is actually necessary for a particular situation, and sometimes a Tower Squire is pointless because his knockback prevents the enemy from even getting close enough to get a hit off. Hybrids can sometimes work, they just take more attention and time to get the job done. They aren't harder to use, just a little slower and less forgiving. But that can be made up for by the versatility. It would be nice to have that hybrid around as a backup if either your HCs or TCs are getting overwhelmed by a sudden enemy surge.

The only real reason a player usually gets hurt is because they made a mistake, or are deliberately throwing caution to the wind to swing like an undisciplined madman.

I dunno About PC gamers, but on xbox I usually lose because I F up, not because I'm not spec'd right.

Conclusion: Unless you always play with a group of 3-4 and your setup uses a "repair hero" who generally avoids combat and focuses on maintenance - a hybrid setup is almost certainly not optimal. Even a "repair hybrid" would be dubious since you still have to give up the giraffe for some kind of active pet (probably a guardian) and assassins will still be a major concern that could ruin a run by killing you and slicing up the towers you were supposed to be healing.

You also forgot to take into account that having either one Monk that rotates with the "spawn" on Insane Survival, or two Monks that cover opposite sides, the idea of a repair class is for all intents and purposes, invalidated. I know you've seen Manh's and my own personal Monk and just how much utility the class can truly bring when utilized in a certain playstyle. At the very most extreme when Tower Boost plus tanking and killing everything that tries reaching the defenses just is not enough, you can have one person switch to a DPS Apprentice and relegate them to Overcharge repair duty (note: no such scenario exists in the game currently).

Everything else, I essentially agree with. Hybridization is only for people unwilling or unable to fully level and gear multiples of each class. This will remain so until we reach a point with gear that literally every useful stat for each spec has hit such a hard "DR cap" that it no longer brings any realistic benefit to add points into said stats.

One last thing to mention, hero speed effectively caps at 99. The skill hard caps at 100, but the way it rounds, you will not see any actual increase in game. Any extra points are completely wasted and would be better spent on other stats. Quick-tip: with decent superloot, it is more than possible to be well over 100 speed without a single skill point spent on the stat.

Edit after reading replies while I was typing this: Hybrids work perfectly fine for clearing all current content in game, just as how all current content was easily beaten before superloot was introduced. The question is not if certain things work, but how effectively you can get it done.

TL;DR: Effective playstyle > "repair class", hybrids will always pale in comparison for min/max players for the foreseeable future

You don't need to have 500k dps heroes in order to win.

True, but it's DAMN useful, considering that Ogres are some of the biggest threats in the game on difficult maps. Not insurmountable by any means, but you HAVE to get someone to clear them, and speed definitely matters in that regard. There are definitely scenarios in which 500k DPS would be extremely useful.

The question is whether it's worth the trade-off you made to get it, given the probability of those scenarios.

True, but it's DAMN useful, considering that Ogres are some of the biggest threats in the game on difficult maps. Not insurmountable by any means, but you HAVE to get someone to clear them, and speed definitely matters in that regard. There are definitely scenarios in which 500k DPS would be extremely useful.

The question is whether it's worth the trade-off you made to get it, given the probability of those scenarios.

I can think of three scenarios where quick Ogre kills are mandatory: High-wave Insane Survival, Insane Ogre Crush and MAYBE Insane Glitter. Anywhere else the extra 2 seconds it would take anyone else to kill an Ogre is totally negligible, at best.

Everything else, I essentially agree with. Hybridization is only for people unwilling or unable to fully level and gear multiples of each class. This will remain so until we reach a point with gear that literally every useful stat for each spec has hit such a hard "DR cap" that it no longer brings any realistic benefit to add points into said stats.

Disagree, due to scaling issues and 30% damage increase on builder character.

TL;DR: Effective playstyle > "repair class", hybrids will always pale in comparison for min/max players for the foreseeable future

I play a LOT of Squire, so might be biased, but...disagree. Once again, Squire.

I can think of three scenarios where quick Ogre kills are mandatory: High-wave Insane Survival, Insane Ogre Crush and MAYBE Insane Glitter. Anywhere else the extra 2 seconds it would take anyone else to kill an Ogre is totally negligible, at best.

Exactly. Maybe 500k+ DPS would be useful on Insane Summit too. Actually, scratch that. Definitely.

But I'd also consider this. Are you likely to have your defenses penetrated by anything BUT Ogres on many maps? Sometimes, yes--if so, then 500k DPS probably isn't worth what you traded off, unless you traded off virtually nothing (in which case hey, 500k DPS for free, why say no?). But if your defenses can get by fine with only minor maintenance, then hey! Rock that 500k+ !

Most of the time, though, I agree. That's not worth it. Considering how easy it is to get 150k+ DPS, which is very useful and easily obtainable with very few sacrifices...

The fact that ogres are so easy to distract and avoid means having a low dps just means you'll have to fight him longer.

Exactly. Maybe 500k+ DPS would be useful on Insane Summit too. Actually, scratch that. Definitely.

Eh. Useful, but not mandatory. 500k DPS would always be USEFUL, if it had no downside, but even on Insane Summit, you get very few Ogres even with 4 players. On top of that, they spawn way in the back, and have to go up double sets of steps to even get near your towers. Killing them is super-easy even with poor DPS. Especially since you can grab aggro so easily.

Disagree, due to scaling issues and 30% damage increase on builder character.
I play a LOT of Squire, so might be biased, but...disagree.

What "scaling issues" are you referring to? I have multiple classes that do 200-300k+ dps (not including pets, as guardians are usually the better choice), and I have every builder with extreme stats (500+ tower atk on monk/app/tower dmg squire, 250 rate (heavy DR any higher) on app/dmg squire, 600+ tower hp on blockade squire/app).

With current superloots, I am still not reaching a point where dps scaling has hit a significant DR soft cap. 30% more damage for the one class towers on a hybrid character that you keep active will not beat out a max geared tower spec of the same class...much less the addition of being able to active a max geared hero dps. If you haven't realized, nearly all of the actual damage on Insane Survival and various other challenges comes from your heroes, with your defenses just keeping things in place and covering easy choke-points/mobs that slip past you.

Edit: I should add, I am not saying that hybrids are useless and it's either multiple characters or gtfo. Hybrids can clear all current content in the game just fine without any issues. Though, it is assanine to say that a hybrid is better than having a dedicated of each role, even after the 7.11 buffs (which will help make hybrids more balanced to continue to be useful, but will not overcome extreme min/maxing of one of each with the information we have now).

What "scaling issues" are you referring to? I have multiple classes that do 200-300k+ dps (not including pets, as guardians are usually the better choice), and I have every builder with extreme stats (500+ tower atk on monk/app/tower dmg squire, 250 rate (heavy DR any higher) on app/dmg squire, 600+ tower hp on blockade squire/app).

Disagreeing with your assertion that hybridization is ONLY for those unwilling to level/gear multiple classes. My reasoning being scaling issues with towers. The difference between 450 or so and 500 tower attack is negligible compared to the to the gain you would get were you to invest those points into weapon damage. Though I'd take that 50 out of Tower HP instead, since it scales worse than attack. IMO, 50ish points invested into weapon damage (Elemental, of course, if you're a tower-heavy squire) will almost always be more useful than bringing tower health from 550 to 600.

With current superloots, I am still not reaching a point where dps scaling has hit a significant DR soft cap. 30% more damage for the one class towers on a hybrid character that you keep active will not beat out a max geared tower spec of the same class...much less the addition of being able to active a max geared hero dps. If you haven't realized, nearly all of the actual damage on Insane Survival and various other challenges comes from your heroes, with your defenses just keeping things in place and covering easy choke-points/mobs that slip past you.

Scaling issues in the other direction. DPS scales up and up, towers scale down and down.

As you mentioned, all the actual damage on Insane Survival and challenges come from heroes. Your job is to protect towers, not the other way around. For me, that's MORE reasoning for hybridization--especially since you can sacrifice a tiiiiny portion of your towers' efficacy in order to massively boost your hero's damage.

Edit: I'm making the case that due to scaling, min-maxing in the tower direction is extremely sub-par in comparison to taking a tiiiiny bit out of those tower stats (doesn't matter much at high levels due to said scaling) and investing it into your damage. A few points go a LONG way in terms of left-click damage, a few points go a little way in terms of towers.

Edit: I'm making the case that due to scaling, min-maxing in the tower direction is extremely sub-par in comparison to taking a tiiiiny bit out of those tower stats (doesn't matter much at high levels due to said scaling) and investing it into your damage.

As you mentioned, all the actual damage on Insane Survival and challenges come from heroes. Your job is to protect towers, not the other way around.

You are still missing the point and actually reaffirmed my thesis, especially the last sentence I quoted. The only reason for having a hybrid or builder active is for the 30% tower boost in 7.11. This 30% tower boost (mind you, it's only the towers of the class you are playing, not the other auras/towers/etc you have placed on other classes) does not nearly offset the difference between a fully dedicated builder of that specific class, then switching to a fully dedicated dps of the same class.

Hybrids work just fine, I've stated this multipe times. The game is not cut and dry, min/max or don't do high-tier endgame stuff. Rather, I am simply stating that hybrids are NOT MORE EFFECTIVE than having a dedicated of each spec/role.

You are still missing the point and actually reaffirmed my thesis, especially the last sentence I quoted. The only reason for having a hybrid or builder active is for the 30% tower boost in 7.11. This 30% tower boost (mind you, it's only the towers of the class you are playing, not the other auras/towers/etc you have placed on other classes) does not nearly offset the difference between a fully dedicated builder of that specific class, then switching to a fully dedicated dps of the same class.

Hybrids work just fine, I've stated this multipe times. The game is not cut and dry, min/max or don't do high-tier endgame stuff. Rather, I am simply stating that hybrids are NOT MORE EFFECTIVE than having a dedicated of each spec/role.

Ahhh, my bad, that's where you're going with that. Been a LOOOONG day and just so incredibly used to people going the opposite direction with an almost identical argument flow.

Honestly, I hate switch-times and that's half of why I prefer hybrid builders. WORST ANSWER EVER, I know, but on monsterfest/insane glitter. Also, my friend's slightly hybrid apprentice (use him for most of the damage-doings) can contribute insane DPS with only a slight drop in tower damage, and the 30% might be worth it for him. Though that said, yeah. Only big stuff that threatens anyways, so 30% extra DPS ain't gonna make a difference in most scenarios--maybe Halloween.

But yeah, exactly. Game not cut and dried, circumstances vary. I like how my hybrid can handle just about anything without ever needing a change-up or respec...lets me be so much lazier. One thing, though: I'm anticipating Trendy applying the active-builder bonus to more stats, for obvious reasons. Though it'd have to be toned down from 30% if this were to be the case. I'm guessing something on the order of +15% to all active builders' tower stats. IMO, boost to the efficacy of all towers (including monk auras, tower health, ASPD, etc...) will shake all this up.

Minor quibble with OP: You're comparing 600-stat tower heroes to 100k dps hybrids. My hybrid monk (tower damage/hero damage maxed, full tower damage armor) does 120k and loses none of that DPS in real-world battles where that level of DPS isn't overkill (ogres). Yet I haven't reached 300 in a stat on any character.

Granted, everything you said about being squishier is very true and I wouldn't want to use the guy against Survival DEWs, but it just seems like your tower stat examples involve much better gear than your hero examples.

I appreciate the more thorough investigation of the idea ;)

I personally project that a hybrid will be a more viable option in the coming patch. Here are my thoughts.

1. The point ramp. Maxing out a stat is not nearly as powerful as spreading out the points to something else you'll be using. Other games like WoW use similar curves to keep people from consistently Min/Maxing (But you'll still always have your linear thinkers, lol) The curve works well for those willing to explore it. Someone else will be able to explain the math a little better than I.

2. The utility of traps and character mobility/dps is far more important than the actual pumped out numbers. That your fireball tower is pumping out 20k DPS over here holding off kobolds, while you are taking care of the wizard wave over yonder with your 50-100K DPS, is far more potent than one side doing potently more and the other not enough.

3. It's what trendy wants to accomplish. So, they will tweak it if it is not powerful enough. ;)

In the end, it looks as though full tower, hybrid, and DPS will be viable options without one being universally claimed as the "Only way to go" At least that's my projection/hope.

1) I thought the same thing about the point ramp until I saw people pushing past 400 tower attack without further diminishing returns. I THOUGHT the stat ramp would continue to diminish until each additional stat gave almost no bonus.

INSTEAD I realized that since the stats stop diminishing after 300, but dumping absurd amount of points into a stat you can get absurd damage numbers. The diminishing returns up looking like an inverse log function: http://www.themathpage.com/aprecalc/Pre_IMG/exp2.gif (imagine the base line is something like 1 tower atk = 2 aura damage). So by having 200 more in tower attack than a hybrid, you are gaining over 400 lightning aura damage depending on far you are along.

2) This is a logical mistake. Yes, having a useful hybrid is performing the function of 2 min-max classes. But look what I'm saying, by using 100% pure tower build and then switching to a 100% hero build you will get damage that's ROUGHLY on par with a hybrids +33% bonus AND you will have a hero that is generally MUCH more effective than a hybrid in combat. So I'm saying the non-hybrid setup most people use now will still allow fireballs to hit for 20k DPS and the guy running off and killing wizards will also be stronger than the hybrid.

So basically:

Pure Tower DPS ~= Hybrid Tower DPS (tower MAY gain a SMALL edge if they break 400 in tower attack)

Pure Combat Hero >>> Hybrid Hero

Basically since the stat intensity of top pure tower specs REQUIRES hybrid to juice up their tower stats to very high levels, it also means that unless they are playing "pure repair" they will pale in combat effectiveness compared to a pure hero who can afford massive amounts of hero stats on his armor and stat allocation.

Minor quibble with OP: You're comparing 600-stat tower heroes to 100k dps hybrids. My hybrid monk (tower damage/hero damage maxed, full tower damage armor) does 120k and loses none of that DPS in real-world battles where that level of DPS isn't overkill (ogres). Yet I haven't reached 300 in a stat on any character.

Granted, everything you said about being squishier is very true and I wouldn't want to use the guy against Survival DEWs, but it just seems like your tower stat examples involve much better gear than your hero examples.

I'm assuming nightmare will be harder than insane survival. If insane survival is any indicator, 120k DPS will NOT be overkill. Tower heroes with over 100k DPS are doing 1 of 2 things:

1) Relying on elemental damage
2) Relying on point-blank projectile spam

Both of these are sub-optimal when dealing with 80k HP assassins where you need to kill them BEFORE they re-arrange your face.

1) I thought the same thing about the point ramp until I saw people pushing past 400 tower attack without further diminishing returns. I THOUGHT the stat ramp would continue to diminish until each additional stat gave almost no bonus.

INSTEAD I realized that since the stats stop diminishing after 300, but dumping absurd amount of points into a stat you can get absurd damage numbers. The diminishing returns up looking like an inverse log function: http://www.themathpage.com/aprecalc/Pre_IMG/exp2.gif (imagine the base line is something like 1 tower atk = 2 aura damage). So by having 200 more in tower attack than a hybrid, you are gaining over 400 lightning aura damage depending on far you are along.

2) This is a logical mistake. Yes, having a useful hybrid is performing the function of 2 min-max classes. But look what I'm saying, by using 100% pure tower build and then switching to a 100% hero build you will get damage that's ROUGHLY on par with a hybrids +33% bonus AND you will have a hero that is generally MUCH more effective than a hybrid in combat. So I'm saying the non-hybrid setup most people use now will still allow fireballs to hit for 20k DPS and the guy running off and killing wizards will also be stronger than the hybrid.

So basically:

Pure Tower DPS ~= Hybrid Tower DPS (tower MAY gain a SMALL edge if they break 400 in tower attack)

Pure Combat Hero >>> Hybrid Hero

Basically since the stat intensity of top pure tower specs REQUIRES hybrid to juice up their tower stats to very high levels, it also means that unless they are playing "pure repair" they will pale in combat effectiveness compared to a pure hero who can afford massive amounts of hero stats on his armor and stat allocation.

Ooooh, the diminishing of the diminishment after 300 looks iiiinteresting. Have you confirmed that for all classes/towers? 'cause I'm faiiiiirly certain some scale differently. Also, does this old true for just damage or multiple stats?

Ahhh, my bad, that's where you're going with that. Been a LOOOONG day and just so incredibly used to people going the opposite direction with an almost identical argument flow...But yeah, exactly. Game not cut and dried, circumstances vary. I like how my hybrid can handle just about anything without ever needing a change-up or respec...

Yeah, I've seen most of the half-witted responses on this subject as well. I am not condemning hybrids in any way, they have their place and usefulness in various situations (such as insane monsterfest, as you pointed out) and can clear all content in game easily enough. I too can pull ~150k physical dps with my full tower apprentice, just by switching to my DPS apprentice's staff instead of my builder staff (still using giraffe). Most content has ample time between waves to switch and get the absolute most 'bang for your buck' though, especially when you are not soloing.

As for the other facet of the argument some people are trying to make...what stops a dps class from dropping an emergency aura/tower on their dps class and just watching that area until the next build phase when they can replace it with a proper builder? Especially with super loot, your dps characters will still have fairly good tower stats that are more than able to cover destroyed defense units, when absolutely required while in combat.

Just one last point to reinforce that I didn't in the OP (I will probably edit it in):

Having a super-loot crazy 200k DPS player is not necessary for any content RIGHT NOW.

But since this is all post-Wednesday speculation, Nightmare will be release and I suspect having 200k DPS will be very important.

Ooooh, the diminishing of the diminishment after 300 looks iiiinteresting. Have you confirmed that for all classes/towers? 'cause I'm faiiiiirly certain some scale differently. Also, does this old true for just damage or multiple stats?

There are many differences in scaling but that generally applies for almost all tower attack and hero attack stats.

why would a hybrid need hero damage? its quite obvious they would benefit from just using an elemental weapon, clear 80% of monsters with ease and im sure the 20% can handled by towers since you know your buffing your towers. its quite easy to get pieces with 25 move speed on em now as well as tower stats so 130+ move speed from just gear is not impossible so that stat doesnt need to be taken. cast speed is just a bonus really if your buffing your towers you probably dont need to repair them as much so having less of this stat than a hero char is viable. hp is well hp and once u get a certain amount probly isnt worth investing much more into it.

the only real gimp hybrids have is using an elemental weapon over a tower weapon.