New web based strategy tool

Nice tool, thanks for sharing.

Yesterday when I tried I couldn't get it show a map when I selected it from the dropdown, but it seems to be working today.

I placed some towers around The Deeper Well map, realized I made a mistake and double clicked one to delete, then placed some more. When I clicked save it reverted to right before I deleted my first tower, so I had to start over from scratch.

Finally got it working after I started over. Managed to save my layout (probably sucks for insane though).

Anyway, cool tool.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe some type of bit.ly url reduction could be done?
maybe have the towers always open so I dont have to open them every time?

Now I can show my friends my insane summit setup instead of just tossing them the animus i don't want

Looks interesting. I'll show it to my girlfriend who always complains that trap huntresses aren't useful enough. Looks like you didn't put any rotation on the mage towers though, they're all pointing north. How do you normally have them face?

Added new images for the maps that include the crystals for them.
Corrected DU values for maps
Added in "scaling" of defense icons for maps

Unfortunately I normalized their sizes which means previously saved configurations will not be compatible (REALLY sorry about this, will do my darndest to make sure it doesn't happen again, I just had to do it this one time to get it all working properly).

For now I have pre-set scaling values set for the various maps that will apply when you drag defenses over to it. I will add in the ability for people to set a custom scaling they want to use for when the map is loaded from a saved URL.

Great thread! Any chance you can make it different for console users? Some of the DU's costs are different ie ensnare and elec auras are more costly on PC.

I'll be happy to set up a Console version if you can PM the DUs for the various defenses (and maps, if they are different). I'll set up a version with the adjusted values

Perhaps the entire thing could be based on a collaborative whiteboard feature? The map image becomes the whiteboard background, upon which the users could draw? Then any given user could save off the current image "layer set" as a .jpg?

I'm not sure how you get other users into the session, though. Shared link you distribute to friends, maybe? Passworded? *shrug*

Might be out of scope though. Feature creep, and all that.

I was considering doing it as an HTML5 canvas when I first started. That would allow me to do things like saving it out as an image, letting people collaborate, etc. Due to time constraints, however, I ended up going with classic HTML and JavaScript (with jQuery). Once I get everything stable in this version, I'll probably revisit the HTML5 version I had initially thought up.

Right now it's all client-side. There's no back-end DB or anything which limits me a bit on functionality. I'm considering setting it up so that when you "Save Layout" it actually commits your configuration to my back-end DB and provides you with an ID that you can use to share your layout. This would have the added bonus of making it easy for me to add in a "Notes" type section or anything along those lines because I'd no longer be restricted to what I can pass through a querystring.

Sweet, thanks for the considerations and mods. This is a really sweet project, and kudos for working so hard on it. Seriously, you probably don't get enough thanks for the effort :)

maybe some type of bit.ly url reduction could be done?
maybe have the towers always open so I dont have to open them every time?

Perhaps you could use something like www.imgur.com which shortens the URL for images automatically? I don't know if it can be used in the manner you'd probably like (don't know if you can just send it images and get the resultant URLs back like an API, etc.)

Added new images for the maps that include the crystals for them.
Corrected DU values for maps
Added in "scaling" of defense icons for maps

Unfortunately I normalized their sizes which means previously saved configurations will not be compatible (REALLY sorry about this, will do my darndest to make sure it doesn't happen again, I just had to do it this one time to get it all working properly).

For now I have pre-set scaling values set for the various maps that will apply when you drag defenses over to it. I will add in the ability for people to set a custom scaling they want to use for when the map is loaded from a saved URL.

Thanks for the updates!

Got an issue, not sure if it's related to the recent update or not.

Set map to Hall of Court - map didn't load so refreshed page and did it again.

Set some traps, turrets, auras, and squire stuffs.

Removed/replaced some stuff

Clicked save

Rather than saving, the page changed to a map of Servant's Quarters with no defenses.

Text states "You have spent NaN / 85 DU"

On an additional note, with the new defense scaling, some of them are really hard to see, such as the harpoon turrets on the dark area near the west crystal in Hall of Court.

Edit: Did it again and it did the same thing, this time it changed the map to Endless Spires though.

Edit 2: it may be some sort of weird user error though because I just looked at a screenshot I took before I clicked save and it clearly says Endless spires, although I swear I didn't choose that from the list.... Not sure how it happened.

I was thinking of making a webpage (over thanksgiving break) similar to League of Legend's http://www.mobafire.com/. For those of you who have never seen it, it allows users to create, view, and rate strategies for LoL's Champions.

The advantage of this would be instant access for current hard mode strategies.

Your tool would be perfect for this kind of thing if you were interested in making it.

This is how I play Deeper Well on easy/medium

http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?map=1&pos=215,250,257,272,278,217,355,386,402,353,367,439,38,170,67,170,53,153,446,637,420,614,421,646&def=7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,6,6,7,7&rot=0,85,135,0,-35,85,0,0,0,85,85,85

Easiest way I know how to do it... Works for Insane and with 0 upgrades necessary (tower spec squire for placement but the main part is the bouncer's knockback, not its damage output).

Wave One layout:
Start with Squire, collect chests, place bouncers as so. Swap to alt before the timer runs out for power leveling :p

Wave two:
Swap back to Squire, finish placement as so. Swap back to character to soak up more XP.

Rest of waves: Tap "G" to speed up to Combat Phase. No need to open chests. :p

*Occasionally, some archers will attack the bouncers but just leave them alone and they'll eventually walk into them.

*If you manage to not hit anything with your attacks or pet, you should get about 39k+ XP per set. 34kish if you hit something by accident or get bored.

**Not recommended for anything except Insane campaign mode for powerleveling (of course it's not the best way to powerlevel characters, but it's a good, workable strategy for players just starting out).

EDIT: Hrm, I tried to make this as two layouts... set four towers, save, post link (Wave One), then add two more, save, post new link (Wave Two) but it only seems to save the last layout (both links point to Wave Two layout). Bug or user error? :(

EDIT EDIT: Fixed :)

Easiest way I know how to do it... Works for Insane and with 0 upgrades necessary (tower spec squire for placement but the main part is the bouncer's knockback, not its damage output).

Wave One layout:
Start with Squire, collect chests, place bouncers as so. Swap to alt before the timer runs out for power leveling :p

Wave two:
Swap back to Squire, finish placement as so. Swap back to character to soak up more XP.

Rest of waves: Tap "G" to speed up to Combat Phase. No need to open chests. :p

*Occasionally, some archers will attack the bouncers but just leave them alone and they'll eventually walk into them.

*If you manage to not hit anything with your attacks or pet, you should get about 39k+ XP per set. 34kish if you hit something by accident or get bored.

**Not recommended for anything except Insane campaign mode for powerleveling (of course it's not the best way to powerlevel characters, but it's a good, workable strategy for players just starting out).

EDIT: Hrm, I tried to make this as two layouts... set four towers, save, post link (Wave One), then add two more, save, post new link (Wave Two) but it only seems to save the last layout (both links point to Wave Two layout). Bug or user error? :(

Yeah, it's a bug I just ran into myself. Will try to track it down this evening. One of the downfalls of trying to pound out some code quickly.

Ok -- the bug where it didn't update properly for adjusted layouts should now be squashed.

For anyone that cares -- I was forgetting to update my indexes when defenses were removed from the layout so it was causing a buffering issue.

I've got the DB created and am working on the stored procedures to handle saving and loading layouts so that people won't have to maintain the huge URLs (the huge URLs will continue to work, you won't have to redo it all again)

- JJ

Fixed another bug that could crop up in a couple browsers that caused the map you had selected to "randomly" change to a different map in the drop down list (crazy, right? I know!)

Very handy.
If future feature suggestions are taken, I'd like a placement restriction where the game puts one, such as directly at doors and gates.
Not sure how to do that with monk auras, though.

Sounds interesting, let's toy a bit with it shall we?

(few minutes later)

It's pretty nice, good work! Some bugs and suggestions:

• When I drag a tower from the right and start trying to rotate it, the tower I previously selected rotates instead (winXP, chrome).
  • You probably can't solve that easily but the save "format" takes a lot of characters, and makes it hard to fit in a profil message (1000 characters max). Check my profil for a glitter insane guide I tried to add here, had to break it in four parts.
  • Rotation is a bit slow
  • Tooltips for towers with the basic infos, name and cost for example, would be nice.
  • I'd like to be able to add too much dus and then proceed to remove what I feel is not as needed (disable save if setup is invalide though).

Keep up the good work.

My deeper well insane build for squire run. I was doing this at lvl 23 or so.

http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?map=1&pos=387,488,371,454,360,512,468,577,473,645,400,585,196,248,105,174,56,122,157,261,156,224,93,207&def=13,12,13,12,12,13,12,12,12,13,13,13&rot=30,0,0,0,0,100,0,0,0,105,55,0

Wave 1: 1 bumper on each stair, harpoon on one stair.
Wave 2: 2nd harpoon on stair from wave 1, 1st harpoon on other stair, bumpers on middle walkway if you have mana
wave 3: if you didn't get bumpers on middle walk way, put them now. Bumpers on top walkway by the waterwheels. You only need 1 bumper on either side.
wave 4: (do this earlier if possible). Harpoons aimed toward the top level side spawning areas.

It's important to use all your du as early as possible for the master builder bonus. Don't attack either (this is another xp bonus). This run yields about 43-48k xp in 7 minutes or so. You can get that time widdled down to 5 or 6 if you hustle.